← Wednesday July 14, 11am-Noon From The Women's Desk (8 am Pacific)

Wednesday July 14, 11am-Noon From The Women's Desk (8 am Pacific) - Comments

Dr. Strangegod's Avatar Comment 1 by Dr. Strangegod

blaaarrgghhhh... pe-thew... pe-thew...

Sorry, had a gut reaction there. What has this to do with science or religion?

Updated: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 18:50:30 UTC | #488740

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 2 by aquilacane

Commercial Enforcement Of Gender Stereotypes On Youth.

wonder if they will actually talk about gender stereotypes or just female. Here are some men are stupid commercials I'm sure they haven't noticed.

Wed, 14 Jul 2010 20:06:10 UTC | #488749

Andrew B.'s Avatar Comment 3 by Andrew B.

Comment 1 by Lucas :

blaaarrgghhhh... pe-thew... pe-thew...

Sorry, had a gut reaction there. What has this to do with science or religion?

Sikivu Hutchinson is a black atheist and humanist, so when speaking about such things she is doing so from a position which is rarely heard. But from reading the little blurb here it doesn't seem like it has a great deal to do with religion or atheism. Still interesting, though.

Wed, 14 Jul 2010 20:25:10 UTC | #488753

sirmailbox's Avatar Comment 4 by sirmailbox

A post modernist book once told me that science is inherently biased against females. Not incidentally, mind you; it isn't just that individuals are biased. The whole thing is sexist in its very nature. Sorry for painting feminism with a broad brush, but most of what I hear from this field of study is crap.

Wed, 14 Jul 2010 20:36:55 UTC | #488756

Andrew B.'s Avatar Comment 5 by Andrew B.

Comment 5 by sirmailbox :

Yeah, but you have to learn to seperate the crap you just mentioned from the important issues. Half of the posts at feministing.com, for example, make me roll my eyes, but the other half are issues of great importance. I know it's often tempting to write off feminism as just a bunch of post-modernist gibberish, but many of these issues do matter and not just to women but to all fair-minded people.

Wed, 14 Jul 2010 23:30:26 UTC | #488798

prolibertas's Avatar Comment 6 by prolibertas

"A post modernist book once told me that science is inherently biased against females".

An idea which comes from the notion that logic and reason are "masculine" while emotion and feeling are "feminine". Which is both hilariously and tragically ironic when you learn that this underlying division was created by white Victorian males in order to keep women out of the important spheres of society like science and politics. But otherwise, Andrew B. is right. There are real issues to be dealt with once you've waded through the crap.

Updated: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 02:30:20 UTC | #488815

jackal's Avatar Comment 7 by jackal

Comment 1 by Lucas : blaaarrgghhhh... pe-thew... pe-thew...

Sorry, had a gut reaction there. What has this to do with science or religion?

Ever wonder why the skeptical community is so underrepresented with women? Attitudes like this are not helping.

Women make up 50% of the world's population. Anti-woman discrimination is based largely in dogma and ignorance. Feminism is a science vs dogma issue.

Did anyone actually listen to the show? I didn't see a link to the advertised show, only the live feed.

Thu, 15 Jul 2010 02:47:58 UTC | #488818

sara g's Avatar Comment 8 by sara g

Gosh, I missed the memo that this was a boys only club. :(

Thu, 15 Jul 2010 02:51:27 UTC | #488819

mmurray's Avatar Comment 9 by mmurray

Comment 5 by sirmailbox :

The problem there is post-modernism not feminism.

Michael

Thu, 15 Jul 2010 04:11:14 UTC | #488825

epeeist's Avatar Comment 10 by epeeist

Comment 10 by mmurray :

The problem there is post-modernism not feminism.

Partially, the other problem is standpoint and feminist epistemology. And the excessive claims to the Principia being a rape manual and e=mc**2 being a sexed equation.

Thu, 15 Jul 2010 07:21:32 UTC | #488839

besleybean's Avatar Comment 11 by besleybean

What's feminist epistemology?

Thu, 15 Jul 2010 07:35:53 UTC | #488846

epeeist's Avatar Comment 12 by epeeist

Comment 12 by besleybean :

What's feminist epistemology?

Thu, 15 Jul 2010 09:09:02 UTC | #488870

cheesedoff17's Avatar Comment 13 by cheesedoff17

Nothing is perfect. All the post modernist crap apart. Women's Lib. has worked wonders. While none of the above programs are of interest to me personally and i can't see their relevance on this site, any program that gives women a voice should be encouraged not scorned. If Sikivu Hutchinson is an atheist then so much the better.

Whatever the history books have to say about Mao-Tse-Dung, he did liberate Chinese women and i salute him for that.

Thu, 15 Jul 2010 09:35:55 UTC | #488872

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 14 by Stafford Gordon

What ever else she is Sikivu Hutchinson is a good writer.

I hung around with some of the heavy sisterhood for a while. But then I began to feel guilty every time I got an erection, and decided that "that way lay madness".

However, after the dust had settled I realised that I'd learnt quite a lot, which puts me in good stead still.

Thu, 15 Jul 2010 10:13:04 UTC | #488880

besleybean's Avatar Comment 15 by besleybean

Yes, I have a similar guilty confession, but from the other side really. I used to sneer at my college womens group and couldn't really see the point of it...but then I grew up.

Thu, 15 Jul 2010 10:42:40 UTC | #488887

Mrkimbo's Avatar Comment 16 by Mrkimbo

Mao Tse Tung liberated millions of women and other people from being alive. I would shoot him, not salute him. Bastard!

Feminism is like environmentalism - vitally important business whose wingnuts must not be allowed to hijack it - or provide excuses for us to take cheap shots without engaging with the serious issues behind the not infrequent hyperbole, hysteria and post-modern nonsense.

(If you chaps knew my sister's partner, who is a Californian feminist of the most tedious and tendentious kind, you would admire my forbearance and maturity).

Thu, 15 Jul 2010 10:48:39 UTC | #488889

Logicel's Avatar Comment 17 by Logicel

Mrkimbo, hear, hear, hear!

Laugh at the morons who tout crap, calling it feminism and learn/support the ones who use evidence and critical thinking. All in all, there are more of the latter than the former (the nutty ones tend to be the most vocal/visible), though there certainly was a bad spell there where female gender worship was as ridiculous as the male version and woo abounded.

We may all be people, but historically there has been a bias in favor of men, and it lingers still in the Western World being rampant in other parts.

Though there is a ways to go, there are more and more female atheist voices and not just of the white/western variety. That's important. Genders/races do warm up to their own.

Just as the influence of religion needs to be lessened so science and critical thinking can flourish, so does the influence of sexist ideas, so women can become independent minded and ditch--among other oppressive aspects of life--religion. They still do more child care activity than males therefore influencing positively young children how to think clearly.

So it is all connected. What's up with this linear approach with a sole focus on science?

Updated: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 12:27:51 UTC | #488923

Wuht2Ask's Avatar Comment 18 by Wuht2Ask

Comment Removed by Author

Thu, 15 Jul 2010 14:06:19 UTC | #488949

Dr. Strangegod's Avatar Comment 19 by Dr. Strangegod

Huh... that's weird... no comments about science or religion or atheism or humanism or anything, just over-sensitive and over-simplified feminist or anti-feminist bullshit on all sides. Thanks for posting this. I feel enlightened. jackal and sillygirl, cry me a freaking river. You've completely misunderstood and you're just not worth correcting.

Thu, 15 Jul 2010 15:52:37 UTC | #488985

jackal's Avatar Comment 20 by jackal

Comment 20 by Lucas :

Not worth correcting, just worth insulting, huh? You clearly have nothing to intelligent to say on the subject.

Thu, 15 Jul 2010 16:21:08 UTC | #488995

Philoctetes                                        's Avatar Comment 21 by Philoctetes

The feminist cause still has dragons to slay. The latest twaddle from the ludicrous Vatican is that the ordaining of women will result in excommunication of both the woman and the ordaining priest. To make The RCC's horror of this development crystal clear, they have made the ordaining of women a crime on a par with buggering and raping children. God bless 'em

Thu, 15 Jul 2010 16:57:35 UTC | #489006

Mrkimbo's Avatar Comment 22 by Mrkimbo

Lucas, you are over-sensitive my friend. I can't agree that a brief exchange of views on feminism is not legitimate or interesting. Given that one reason we all dislike religion is it's dreadful repression of women I can't agree that it's not relevant either, as Jackal pointed out.

Thu, 15 Jul 2010 23:09:11 UTC | #489129

Mrkimbo's Avatar Comment 23 by Mrkimbo

Since I posted the above I've been and read the Guardian, and I see what you're talking about, Philoctetes (it's earlyish morning here in Australia). By Crom, you couldn't make it up, could you? No doubt this story will eventually get a thread of its own.

Thu, 15 Jul 2010 23:19:33 UTC | #489130

PERSON's Avatar Comment 24 by PERSON

All in all, there are more of the latter than the former (the nutty ones tend to be the most vocal/visible) I don't think nutty feminists are any more numerous than nutty (any group) are numerous, I just think that some of them get amplified by the media, I suspect for anti-feminist purposes. It would seem to be effective, given common attitudes to feminism. The same thing is done with most leftist movements: they talk to random dude with a sign, not Noam Chomsky.

I quite like Pandagon. This gives quite a good feel for contemporary US feminism (the interviewee is one of the writers on Pandagon).

Sat, 17 Jul 2010 01:09:56 UTC | #489396