← Atheist Richard Dawkins aids Haiti, touts God-free giving

Atheist Richard Dawkins aids Haiti, touts God-free giving - Comments

APPlet's Avatar Comment 1 by APPlet

I am off to donate. Thanks Richard!

Sun, 17 Jan 2010 20:56:00 UTC | #432350

Crazycharlie's Avatar Comment 2 by Crazycharlie

Just made a donation.

Come on everyone, if Richard can be that generous we can step up too. Let's help out!

Sun, 17 Jan 2010 21:00:00 UTC | #432351

Mette's Avatar Comment 3 by Mette

Donated!

Sun, 17 Jan 2010 21:01:00 UTC | #432352

Ophelia Benson's Avatar Comment 4 by Ophelia Benson

Doctors Without Borders are great. Fill their coffers!

Sun, 17 Jan 2010 21:04:00 UTC | #432353

snowbourne's Avatar Comment 5 by snowbourne

Donated to Doctors without Borders. Thanks for the inspiration Richard! This week I'll be donating blood to the Red Cross.

Sun, 17 Jan 2010 21:08:00 UTC | #432354

GalacticAtom's Avatar Comment 6 by GalacticAtom

Never seen Médecins Sans Frontières translated to "Doctors without Borders" before.

No matter ... donated!

Sun, 17 Jan 2010 21:09:00 UTC | #432357

kaiserkriss's Avatar Comment 7 by kaiserkriss

I've made a $100.00 donation directly to the Canadian Red Cross, so that Richard's kind offer of covering paypal fees can be taken up by someone else. jcw

Sun, 17 Jan 2010 21:16:00 UTC | #432361

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 8 by SaintStephen

I donated last night. Nobody needs to yank my chain for Doctors without Borders.

Sun, 17 Jan 2010 21:18:00 UTC | #432362

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 9 by InYourFaceNewYorker

Damn these cold, strident, heartless atheists! Don't people know that you have to believe in a higher power to be motivated to donate to charity?

On a more serious note, I donated $10.

Julie

Sun, 17 Jan 2010 21:57:00 UTC | #432375

The Hogfather's Avatar Comment 10 by The Hogfather

I might be all on my lonesome here but I have some reservations about the whole "Unbelievers Giving Aid" idea. Don't get me wrong it's a nice idea in principle, but however hard I try I can't but help feel a little bit guilty about donating in this manner. It's not entirely rational, but for some reason now that I have donated I can't help but wonder if I did it to actually help people, or just to contribute to getting one over on the believers. It's silly because I have no problem with donating to a random charity and I do so hate the self-righteous boasts of the pious on this subject. I suppose it might be the thought of being involved in some sort of weird 'charity duel off' with believers that is putting me off somewhat, especially given the circumstances in Haiti. Maybe it's just me though!

Sun, 17 Jan 2010 22:14:00 UTC | #432382

ridelo's Avatar Comment 11 by ridelo

Donated.

Sun, 17 Jan 2010 22:14:00 UTC | #432383

j.mills's Avatar Comment 13 by j.mills

Some of the comments below the (surprisingly benign) article are typically wearying:

Also, keep in mind that there is a special spot in hell for those that denounce God. Doesn't matter how many good works you do.
Something of a disincentive really...
I find that many athiests are really good people, moral people. Regardless if they believe in God, God believes in them, causing it to rain with equal regularity on the believer and non. Most non-athiests do because they believe that God will smile upon them or they will suffer Gods wraft.
Condescending much? (Plus, what is "wraft"?)
You will never find an Athiest in a fox hole.....
*Sigh*

Sun, 17 Jan 2010 22:28:00 UTC | #432388

fsm1965's Avatar Comment 12 by fsm1965

gave good old British £10 - split 50:50, not fussy who gets it...

Sun, 17 Jan 2010 22:28:00 UTC | #432387

Paine's Avatar Comment 14 by Paine

I gave $250 to UNICEF. Take care of the people the religions victimise the most....kids.
BTW, I think this no-belief giving is silly. The whole point of giving is to do it for the sake of it and not to trump your own banner. I'd leave the tawdry flag-waving to the faithful.

Sun, 17 Jan 2010 22:34:00 UTC | #432390

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 15 by Steve Zara

Comment #451399 by The Hogfather

No, it isn't. There has been some discussion of this on the forums.

A simple message that RD.net was encouraging donations to help Haiti, and that Richard was very generously helping with costs, would surely have been enough. That would have sent a strong message without the need to explicitly point out that atheists can be good and caring people too.

There are times to promote atheism, and there are times when our only concern should be the desperate and urgent need of millions. I think this is one of the latter occasions. I don't think it is a time for point scoring, no matter how well intentioned.

I'll donate to Doctors without Borders.

Sun, 17 Jan 2010 22:35:00 UTC | #432391

Dorothy Sutton's Avatar Comment 16 by Dorothy Sutton

Donation here from Kentucky. Thanks for doing this, Richard (one of the most tender-hearted and generous people I have ever known).

I know the Docs rock, but chose the Red Cross because they were so wonderful to my aunt, an Army Nurse who tended the wounded as they were flown from Sicily to North Africa in World War II. And of course they've helped out in so many ways since then.

I commend the people on this website who reach out to help their fellow humans every chance they get. Richard is right: it gives lie to the old myths that people have to be religious to be good.

Sun, 17 Jan 2010 22:44:00 UTC | #432395

Donald's Avatar Comment 17 by Donald

I was pleased to see the Non-Believers-Giving-Aid initiative. I would like my charitable giving to be visible as non-religious. The religious often think that charitable giving is primarily driven by religious belief, and I would like to counter this widespread false assumption by making my charitable donations more visible as Non-Religious.

However, as a UK taxpayer, I chose not to use the Non-Believers-Giving-Aid page.
The reason is that there is no explicit treatment of UK tax reclaim. In the UK, it is expected that the charity will claim an additional 28 for every 100 donated by UK taxpayers. If I donate via the RD.net page as it currently stands, a potential 28 from the UK government goes to waste.

I donated directly to MSF instead.

I have emailed Josh about this, in the hope that he might be able to make improvements to all the donation pages on RD.net so that UK donations can be uplifted by the 28%.

Sun, 17 Jan 2010 22:46:00 UTC | #432397

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 18 by KRKBAB

Comment #451409 by Steve Zara- I disagree. The important part is how much aid in the end Haiti gets, regardless of the motives. Another words, I was thinking about giving, but never quite "did it". After seeing the big red message on the RD page, I will now definitely give (not sure where yet, though). Another words, if it helps produce more aid, that's what's important. Representing our "cause" or the purity of our motives will not matter at all to those who receive the help.

Sun, 17 Jan 2010 22:47:00 UTC | #432398

Ed from Oz's Avatar Comment 19 by Ed from Oz

I had the same thoughts as Thehogfather. I was going to donate today and thought through here is as good as any. Ten minutes ago my sole motive was to give aid. Now though, if i'm to be honest i will be looking for a reaction on the face of my (baptist) accountant come tax time.

Sun, 17 Jan 2010 23:02:00 UTC | #432402

mmurray's Avatar Comment 20 by mmurray

I'm with those who are concerned about the way this is being pitched. I'm all for donating to non-religious charities (when there are sensible choices) to avoid having myself counted somewhere as religious. But I would have preferred not making it look like we are donating to prove how good we are. I think this is one of those rare times when the Bible gives good advice and the advice in situations like this is to let your good works speak for themselves.

I donated to CARE a few days ago.

Michael

Discussion on the Forums here

Sun, 17 Jan 2010 23:05:00 UTC | #432403

winfrede's Avatar Comment 21 by winfrede

Such a good idea! I already donate every month to Doctors Without Borders, but am happy to do an additional $500. Hope its enough to buy a few some comfort or more.

Pass it on.

Sun, 17 Jan 2010 23:11:00 UTC | #432407

Chrysippus_Maximus's Avatar Comment 22 by Chrysippus_Maximus

I'm a poor graduate student living on a meager stipend, so I donated $20, which is all I can afford really.

However, I am curious as to whether this will count as a tax-deductible donation in Canada?

Sun, 17 Jan 2010 23:16:00 UTC | #432408

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 23 by InYourFaceNewYorker

I see what some of you are saying. Of course we are trying to make a statement with this donation drive, but ultimately we think the most important thing is that we are helping people. I hope all of you will agree on this.

J.

Sun, 17 Jan 2010 23:22:00 UTC | #432410

Quetzalcoatl's Avatar Comment 24 by Quetzalcoatl

I too would have preferred that this not be pitched in the way that it has been. On the other hand, I recognise the fact that there are those out there who wouldn't necessarily have donated without such a campaign, so on that basis it's a good thing; the Haitians need all the help they can get.

But right now, I hope we don't see any arguments about the relative goodness of believers versus non-believers and their inclination to charity. This isn't the time for that. Let it happen afterwards, if need be, once the Haitians have received the aid they need.

Sun, 17 Jan 2010 23:24:00 UTC | #432411

Chrysippus_Maximus's Avatar Comment 25 by Chrysippus_Maximus

It's like George W. Bush said earlier... "Just send money." That's all that matters, but since this option exists and it's even set up to cover admin. costs, why not go for it?

Say what you want, but I sure as hell am not donating to World Vision.

Sun, 17 Jan 2010 23:25:00 UTC | #432412

Peacebeuponme's Avatar Comment 26 by Peacebeuponme

I can see Steve's point of view, especially because most on here went fucking nuts when Dinesh D'Souza made political capital out of the Virginia Tech shootings.

That's the problem with indignation; you need to be sure you have your own house in order.

Sun, 17 Jan 2010 23:26:00 UTC | #432413

Chrysippus_Maximus's Avatar Comment 27 by Chrysippus_Maximus

I'd love to see milestone updates on the total raised via the RDFS. :)

Sun, 17 Jan 2010 23:38:00 UTC | #432417

mmurray's Avatar Comment 28 by mmurray

Say what you want, but I sure as hell am not donating to World Vision.

So I guess you have a standing order for Caritas right ?

Michael

PS: They are the two I avoid like the plague.

Sun, 17 Jan 2010 23:42:00 UTC | #432419

MarkOnTheRiver's Avatar Comment 29 by MarkOnTheRiver

Nice to see George Bush's paraphrasing of "Saint" Bob Geldoff's rallying call, "Give us yer focking money."

Ok, done my bit for chaaaariddy, but I don't like talking about that. . .

Sun, 17 Jan 2010 23:53:00 UTC | #432421

buskerdog's Avatar Comment 30 by buskerdog

Just gave to DWB. That's my charity of choice anyway (other than animal welfare charities) so it was nice to be able to add the support I would have given anyway to RD's worthwhile (and by far secondary) cause. I hope it does a little bit to help someone.

Sun, 17 Jan 2010 23:57:00 UTC | #432422