← The Invention of Lying: Available Now on DVD

The Invention of Lying: Available Now on DVD - Comments

Alternative Carpark's Avatar Comment 1 by Alternative Carpark

Big fan of Mr. Gervais - loved the office, extras, and his stage shows - but this film was awful.

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 07:10:00 UTC | #433303

Thomas Byrne's Avatar Comment 2 by Thomas Byrne

It actually looks awful (I have a good nose for films).
I'm not even pushed to watch it.

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 07:13:00 UTC | #433305

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 3 by InYourFaceNewYorker

It was a funny movie. At the part where the girl said she didn't want to marry the guy because she would pass down genes she didn't like, I whispered to my friends, "Did Richard Dawkins write this?" :)

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 07:26:00 UTC | #433310

Thomas Byrne's Avatar Comment 4 by Thomas Byrne

^...and what was the reply?

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 07:34:00 UTC | #433312

proveit's Avatar Comment 5 by proveit

I recommend it. A little slow in places but definitely worth a watch.

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 07:38:00 UTC | #433314

weavehole's Avatar Comment 6 by weavehole

Gervais is good but I just don't understand why his character fell in love with that awful woman.

A few funny moments but I'm guessing that it was ruined by a gaggle of anonymous screenwriters. (What should the collective noun for hollywood writers be?) Ultimately I'd recommend waiting until it comes on the telly and it's raining outside and your remote's run out of batteries and you can't find a book and you've lost your phone etetcusw

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 08:56:00 UTC | #433324

woodsyman's Avatar Comment 7 by woodsyman

Ditto first comment by Alternative Carpark. Nice idea, high concept but it didn't work. A bit dull.

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 09:06:00 UTC | #433325

RichardofYork's Avatar Comment 8 by RichardofYork

I find the bloke irritating to be honest ,I just dont get his humour .Mind you I also couldnt abide The Hitch Hikers Guide .

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 09:14:00 UTC | #433326

Daz365's Avatar Comment 9 by Daz365

RichardofYork "I also couldnt abide The Hitch Hikers Guide"

Forget comedy it’s obviously not for you.

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 09:32:00 UTC | #433329

BroughtyBoy's Avatar Comment 10 by BroughtyBoy

At his best he`s brilliant, but of late he`s started to become a pastiche of the people he sent up in Extras.

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 09:38:00 UTC | #433330

RobiFerentz's Avatar Comment 11 by RobiFerentz

I actually enjoyed the movie. When he invented "The Man in The Sky" it was absolutely hilarious.

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 09:47:00 UTC | #433332

hungarianelephant's Avatar Comment 12 by hungarianelephant

Yes, that dress makes you look fat.

I've never really understood why this is not an advisable thing to say. Surely the subtext is "you're not fat but the dress makes you look like you are"?

A former colleague once answered the dreaded question with the immortal line, "No love. It's your big arse and big belly that make you look fat." He did considerable time in the spare room for that.

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 09:59:00 UTC | #433334

WDB's Avatar Comment 13 by WDB

Anyone else feel the plot fell apart in that it didn't differentiate between being mistaken and lying ?

I'd argue people believe in the man in the sky because of delusions and poor reasoning not because any dishonesty has occurred.

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 10:25:00 UTC | #433340

MarkOnTheRiver's Avatar Comment 14 by MarkOnTheRiver

clearmindsvsban comment 14

I bet you even think those "arguments" are original. Just so that we get off on the same foot, please check out this link from the RD forums;

When you've read it, come back and we'll talk.

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 10:41:00 UTC | #433342

chameleonpete's Avatar Comment 15 by chameleonpete

Clearmindsvban:

It's correct that evolution cannot be explained by luck and chances.

No one who fully understands evolution says it does. I suggest you go away, and read some books about evolutionary biology, in fact as you mention him, and to start with, try Richard Dawkins newest, 'The greatest show on earth'

re, your point 3 above, Pay particular attention to chapter 8 called 'you did it yourself in 9 months'

Then, once you have read it, appraised yourself of the facts, used your brain to process them, come back on here and re-read what you have written, to remind yourself of how utterly stupid your comments are.

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 10:47:00 UTC | #433346

Krasny's Avatar Comment 16 by Krasny

The key scene in the movie is where he is comforting his dying mother by saying there is an afterlife and it's lovely, and a doctor was overhearing him, and spread the word about this afterlife.

An amusing if flawed movie.

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 10:48:00 UTC | #433348

diavel's Avatar Comment 17 by diavel

"Anyone else feel the plot fell apart in that it didn't differentiate between being mistaken and lying?"

Yes, that's exactly what I thought too. But I like the movie. Maybe it's because I love British accent.

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 11:38:00 UTC | #433361

root2squared's Avatar Comment 18 by root2squared

Speaking of dates and lying, atheism is a very handy philosophical reason for when you don't want to explain the real shallow reason for breaking up :)

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 13:04:00 UTC | #433395

Jeppo's Avatar Comment 19 by Jeppo

I'm a big fan of Gervais, but 'The Invention of Lying' was a terrible movie. A nice idea for a comedy sketch, but not for a whole movie.

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 13:11:00 UTC | #433401

billzfantazy's Avatar Comment 20 by billzfantazy

ref comments 14 & 15.
Obviously you're referring to a comment that has been deleted. Is it just me who wishes these dissenting, even trollish comments were left in so we could all have a good laugh?
it does get a bit tedious when we're all "singing from the same hymn sheet" (apologies for the religious metaphor!)
A bit of discord can be good!

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 13:11:00 UTC | #433402

Lifer's Avatar Comment 21 by Lifer

I just watched this last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. My only problem with it was the number of musical montages. Off the top of my head there were at least 3.

It was a comedy, it wasn't supposed to be deeply philosophical or an evolutionarily accurate movie so take it with a grain of salt.

There are many cute parts to this movie and it's only 90 minutes so if you feel like a chuckle, I'd say go for it.

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 13:40:00 UTC | #433410

MarkOnTheRiver's Avatar Comment 22 by MarkOnTheRiver

billzfantazy comment 20

No, it's not just you, as it now looks like I'm ranting to myself in comment 14.
However, I don't think the original comment 14 was actually deleted, just withdrawn by its author.

In future, I think I'll copy and blockquote comments like that, which of course I should have done this time.

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 13:49:00 UTC | #433415

wildhog's Avatar Comment 23 by wildhog

I enjoyed the movie a lot. It's comedy though. Overanalyzing it is silly.

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 14:26:00 UTC | #433424

dankuck's Avatar Comment 24 by dankuck

I loved this movie. Quite comedic, never slow, and pure, unadulterated fable.

Just putting that out there, so it doesn't look like no one likes it. Not sure why it's on RD.net today. Must be a Gervais craze.

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 14:40:00 UTC | #433426

RichardofYork's Avatar Comment 25 by RichardofYork

Comment #452436 by Daz365 " Forget comedy it’s obviously not for you.". So I find 2 comedic ventures unfunny ,and comedy obviously isnt for me? I actually like comedy more than anything else. Believe me I have tried to enjoy the hitch hikers guide I really have , but I just dont , sorry not to fit your idea of someone who likes comedy . Perhaps I should be fed to the Bugblatter beast of Traal? see if I dont

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 14:46:00 UTC | #433429

Fuzzy Duck's Avatar Comment 26 by Fuzzy Duck

It was an imperfect film, but by no means bad. The romantic comedy elements didn't work as well, but it was still very well-written. Gervais is, as often, hilarious in it. Worth checking out (and sneaking to your religious friends and family, maybe).

Kevin

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 15:27:00 UTC | #433441

happinessiseasy's Avatar Comment 27 by happinessiseasy

#9 #25 Are we talking about the most recent Hitchhiker's Guide movie, or the book, or the BBC series? Because that makes a huge difference.

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 16:17:00 UTC | #433451

RichardofYork's Avatar Comment 28 by RichardofYork

Ive tried all The Hitch Hikers Guide ; the books the film the radio programme and the BBC series . To no avail

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 16:24:00 UTC | #433455

TIKI AL's Avatar Comment 29 by TIKI AL

This premise reminds me of the 1997 Jim Carrey film, "Liar,liar", where a sleezy lawyer can't tell a lie for 1 full day because of his son's candle blowing birthday wish.

As we do with all movies, we shall wait for the DVD and view it with the extra features in the comfort of gentle massage seating in our home theater, free from the loud talking, cell phones, swine flu coughing, high prices, and coke and gum land mines of the public cinema.

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 16:33:00 UTC | #433458

davem's Avatar Comment 30 by davem

The trouble with Ricky Gervais is that his biggest fan is Ricky Gervais. I've never been convinced that his role in The Office wasn't autobiograhical in nature. He's certainly full of himself. I can't stand the guy - After seeing one episode of The Office, I assumed that that was it, since there was nowhere to go afterwards. I didn't realise it was was a series, just telling the one joke over and over. Sorry.

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:32:00 UTC | #433468