← Topic of Cancer

Topic of Cancer - Comments

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 1 by Richard Dawkins

My candle burns at both ends;

It will not last the night;

But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—

It gives a lovely light!

Edna St Vincent Millay (1892-1950)

Keep the light burning, Hitch. Your friends need you. Your foes are my foes.

Richard

Updated: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 21:43:45 UTC | #495923

Follow Peter Egan's Avatar Comment 2 by Follow Peter Egan

Dear Hitch, I finished reading your remarkable memoirs last night, and will write a humble review soon. I've been so very sad to learn about what you're going through, though the article shows your usual stoicism and wit. I hope you find a way of coping with the horrible treatment and stick around for a long time to come. I wish I could help, or even tell you how profoundly you've influenced my life these past three years, since I read a review of god is not great and went out the next day to buy the book I'd been wanting to read my whole life.

Wed, 04 Aug 2010 21:42:57 UTC | #495925

JumpinJackFlash's Avatar Comment 3 by JumpinJackFlash

My humblest regards go to the author who has given me some of the strongest rebuttals to the logic of the faithful, and has motivated one of the strongest political re-alignments I have experienced. A great polemicist, essayist, editor, raconteur and all-around magnificent chap. Flawed and unashamedly so, honest and proudly so.

It does look grim, but the advances of medical science and its abilities will give him a fighting chance at least. But should he depart from us, he will go with dignity and integrity as I am sure. No last-minute bargaining with the clerical bullies. A serious man throughout.

Best of luck and well done for your most admirable approach to this, Mr. Hitchens.

Wed, 04 Aug 2010 21:58:24 UTC | #495929

foundationist's Avatar Comment 4 by foundationist

Dear Mr. Hitchens,

I hope you won't leave us yet. You were the most interesting person that I have ever disagreed with on so many points.

It would be strange and sad not to have you challenge my views any longer.

Wed, 04 Aug 2010 22:00:10 UTC | #495931

besleybean's Avatar Comment 5 by besleybean

Thank you for posting this, team. I saw it 1st thing this morning, on my regular visit to Daily Hitchens. It's an intersting interview and a very human pic of the cool one. Tho the previous interview(with Hugh Hewitt), is a must. I'm sure we're all glad Christopher is managing to keep writing at the mo, long may it last. I think Hitch 22 is a must for everybody. Such an insight, what a guy... I was just beginning to come to terms with the predicament, but heck...

Wed, 04 Aug 2010 22:07:02 UTC | #495932

nickthelight's Avatar Comment 6 by nickthelight

Best wishes Christopher, you're an inspiration to me and many. I hope you do get to see your children marry and the World Trade Center rise again.

Best wishes.

Wed, 04 Aug 2010 22:08:44 UTC | #495933

Styrer's Avatar Comment 7 by Styrer

The alien has not excised your ability to write, Christopher. As for the 'almost no talk of sex' debilitation in your new land, take some heart from this, from a rather attractive blonde, in the old one:

By some of us, clearly you are unconditionally loved.

Looking forward to your next installment. Bet you the next metaphorical round you can't make it as good as this one.

Take care. Styrer

Updated: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 22:13:27 UTC | #495934

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 8 by mordacious1

(The chest hair that was once the toast of two continents hasn’t yet wilted, but so much of it was shaved off for various hospital incisions that it’s a rather patchy affair.)

Indeed, chest hair that was the envy of the manliest of manly men. Hopefully it stays attached, but I doubt it (sorry Hitch).

I support Christopher wholeheartedly in fighting this desease (one might almost feel sorry for the cancer, being up against such a formidable foe), but I shan't be shaving my head (perhaps my chest hair if that becomes necessary).

Wishing you the best, Christopher.

Updated: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 22:14:16 UTC | #495935

yyarovyy's Avatar Comment 9 by yyarovyy

Hey, Hitch. Because of you, 2 things changed in my life:

1) I became an atheist partly because of 'God is not Great"

2) I've grown to appreciate politics to a much greater degree than I used to.

I hope the only thing we'll be missing in the next 20 years is your hair and nothing else! Thank God we live in the age when cancer is not automatically a death sentence. I'm looking forward to Kissinger's and Ratzinger's obituaries written by you

Wed, 04 Aug 2010 22:16:04 UTC | #495936

BigBlue's Avatar Comment 10 by BigBlue

A highlight for me was meeting the great man, having watched him along with Stephen Fry, demolish the Catholic opposition of Archbishop John Onaiyekan and Anne Widecombe at the Methodist Central Hall in London last year.

Like an excited schoolchild I approached him to get my copy of 'God is Not Great' signed after the debate. He duly obliged, and left me with these parting words: '... and remember, don't keep the faith!'.

He needn't worry, I won't. But Hitch, I do hope that you will keep the faith, in those working so hard on your behalf at this difficult time. We're rooting for you.

A wonderful talent and a true star.

Wed, 04 Aug 2010 22:18:08 UTC | #495937

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 11 by Steve Zara

I have lost dear friends to cancer. But, like Christoper Hitchens they faced their illnesses with great dignity, living live to the full knowing that the future was unknown and their time could be short.

The Hitch is alive today. The world is better place because of that. How many more todays there will be is unknown for him, as it is for any of us. Today I will buy some books of his, books I should have got hold of long ago, as a celebration of his being alive.

Updated: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 22:37:26 UTC | #495941

The Plc's Avatar Comment 12 by The Plc

Best wishes to a remarkably talented men of letters. I finished reading his Why Orwell Matters last Saturday and was struck by his enviable ability to weave lyrical themes of History, Philosophy, Politics and Literature while making trenchant arguments. According to his memoirs he barely made it out of University and never studied!

I guess I'll now never see the Hitch return to my home of Northern Ireland, Western Europe's centre of religious intolerance and divisiveness and kick up a bit of a fuss. Oh well.

Wed, 04 Aug 2010 22:27:56 UTC | #495945

MarkOnTheRiver's Avatar Comment 13 by MarkOnTheRiver

A humbling read Hitch, and as ever, so eloquently written.

I look forward to a few monthly updates, say, a hundred or so to start with.

All the best, always.

Wed, 04 Aug 2010 22:54:19 UTC | #495954

Long Johns Silver's Avatar Comment 16 by Long Johns Silver

Steve Zara, posts like that must be why you're so well respected around here. Marvellously said, and a brilliant proposal. There's no better way to pronounce our solidarity with Christopher Hitchens than to buy some of his books.

Updated: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 23:00:56 UTC | #495958

Zelig's Avatar Comment 14 by Zelig

My support and admiration to you.

Wed, 04 Aug 2010 22:59:34 UTC | #495956

Philster61's Avatar Comment 15 by Philster61

The world is a better place with you in it Hitch. Stay awhile.

Wed, 04 Aug 2010 22:59:45 UTC | #495957

erindorothy's Avatar Comment 17 by erindorothy

My support and best wishes Christopher. Yes, please stay here with us... we need you. All the best.

Wed, 04 Aug 2010 23:17:50 UTC | #495961

Karen Hill Anton's Avatar Comment 18 by Karen Hill Anton

I can simply say I am too sad for words ... No, it is not over for the Hitch -- but even the thought of his leaving us anytime soon is heartbreaking. Please hang in there ... I would be your friend, I am certainly and remain your admirer, Karen

Wed, 04 Aug 2010 23:42:57 UTC | #495967

Quintin_S's Avatar Comment 19 by Quintin_S

What a fantastic photo and article. It's good to see that Hitch is still good old Hitch and he still has the same fight and fire in him.

Thank you for sharing this - it's been a while since we've had an update on Christopher's health. And best wishes to Hitch himself; go not gently, sir.

Wed, 04 Aug 2010 23:47:14 UTC | #495968

MAJORPAIN's Avatar Comment 21 by MAJORPAIN

Christopher, I've now read Hitch-22 and I saw you on the Daily Show. You're right, I saw nothing amiss. However, you've left me wanting more...so, I'm looking forward to Hitch-23 (just joking -- you can name it whatever you want) and I'm looking forward to seeing you on the Daily Show to promote it! Thanks for all you've done and all you do and all you will continue to do if the universe is fair at all. We love you!

Wed, 04 Aug 2010 23:56:25 UTC | #495976

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 20 by Agrajag

I wish I could add anything anywhere nearly as eloquent as my predecessors^ ^. Nevertheless, I wish you the best in dealing with the disease, whose existence, to me, is further confirmation of the non-existence of the supernatural.

On a practical note, be sure you have a dentist who has experience with patients who have had chemo- and/or radiation therapy.

Sincere thanks and best wishes,

Steve Weeks, DDS

Wed, 04 Aug 2010 23:57:38 UTC | #495973

Rawhard Dickins's Avatar Comment 22 by Rawhard Dickins

Without wayward cells we would not be here. It's the nature of life.

You understand and it's understanding that will get you through. Thankfully we don't rely on superstition any more and you will continue to play your part against it.

Very best wishes

Thu, 05 Aug 2010 00:14:48 UTC | #495982

Steve Adamo's Avatar Comment 23 by Steve Adamo

Mr. Hitchens, you're one of the very few people that I can honestly say has affected my life. I'd like to join others here in offering my sincerest regards. If I were of that bent, you'd be in my prayers. Instead, I hope you'll accept the knowledge that you'll be in my thoughts. Take care!

Thu, 05 Aug 2010 00:19:03 UTC | #495984

Charisma's Avatar Comment 24 by Charisma

Hitchens is absolutely brilliant. He is the very best writer I know. I'm not worried, if anyone has what it takes to get through this, it is this man.

Updated: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 00:31:40 UTC | #495990

Alternative Carpark's Avatar Comment 25 by Alternative Carpark

I was happier before he used the 'M' word - and I'm sure he was too.

Perhaps Mr. Hitchens should meet up with Lance Armstrong - if anyone has proven that cancer need not be a death sentence, it is him.

Death to the cancer cells!

Thu, 05 Aug 2010 00:31:07 UTC | #495991

HappyPrimate's Avatar Comment 27 by HappyPrimate

Christopher Hitchens -- Geez, there are so many things I would say to him but after reading that article, they all seem to fall rather flat. Needless to say we would adore having him with us for another 61 years plus. However long we have him, he will always be with us through his books, articles and videos of interviews and talks. He is certainly a unique human being and has truly had an impact on many. Best I can think of is to say Thanks Hitch! and please keep it coming as long as you can. Our thoughts are with you.

Thu, 05 Aug 2010 00:36:14 UTC | #495994

John P's Avatar Comment 26 by John P

You gotta admire him. Me, I'd be catatonic, unable to write my name, much less the eloquent essay he penned for his readers.

I hope to read more, for years to come.

Thu, 05 Aug 2010 00:36:28 UTC | #495993

blitz442's Avatar Comment 28 by blitz442

Poor Hitch. If the cancer has metastasized then his chances of survival may be less than 1 in 5.

He is certainly taking this like a champ though, best of luck to him.

Another beacon of light, Steve Gould, beat very long odds in his first cancer battle. He produced this brilliant essay on how he intepreted the dire prognosis.

Hitch is relatively young, strong, and has access to the best medical care available. There is reason for optimism.

Thu, 05 Aug 2010 01:01:51 UTC | #496000

quarecuss's Avatar Comment 29 by quarecuss

I just read his book on Thomas Paine's "Rights of Man". Yet another body blow to "god-given" rights of monarchies, theocracies and tyrannies! You're a hero Hitch! I wish you well.

Thu, 05 Aug 2010 01:43:38 UTC | #496009

Dorothy Sutton's Avatar Comment 30 by Dorothy Sutton

"Is it so small a thing To have enjoyed the sun?" --Matthew Arnold, "Empedocles on Aetna" No, it has not been a small thing for you, Christopher, and not for me either. What an immensely large life you have led, and helped the rest of us to lead. I've been through the diagnosis and radiation and felt exactly the way you feel. That was several years ago --stay with me, Hitch. Stay with me, Buddy. I love you.

Thu, 05 Aug 2010 03:14:00 UTC | #496022