← Nerdstock: 9 Lessons and Carols for Godless People

Nerdstock: 9 Lessons and Carols for Godless People - Comments

stptrck75's Avatar Comment 1 by stptrck75

I'm saddened that this sort of program would never be allowed to air in the U.S.

Sat, 23 Jan 2010 20:06:00 UTC | #434601

The Hogfather's Avatar Comment 2 by The Hogfather

Cool! The Sky plus player is set to record.

Sat, 23 Jan 2010 20:29:00 UTC | #434609

Orion's Avatar Comment 3 by Orion

Not sure about the addition of 'nerdstock' to the title, but I'm enjoying the programme.

Sat, 23 Jan 2010 22:07:00 UTC | #434627

Azven's Avatar Comment 4 by Azven

Having seen the audience I think 'Nerdstock' is correct.

(I am, of course, using Nerd in the best possible sense)

Sat, 23 Jan 2010 23:23:00 UTC | #434637

Veon's Avatar Comment 5 by Veon

I hope someone puts that up on youtube, or torrent.

Sat, 23 Jan 2010 23:38:00 UTC | #434638

Am I Evil?'s Avatar Comment 6 by Am I Evil?

I was there at the gig itself, nice to see it on telly. Although it was cut to ribbons. Many more guests made an appearance than the ones shown.

And is there an italics tag left open here?

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 00:14:00 UTC | #434642

the archangel's Avatar Comment 7 by the archangel

Aw cool I was there for the second year in a row. Definitely Nerdstock, I wouldn't want it any other way. Though i think they should maybe make fun of religion more, just because it's fun. Less of this respect thing.

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 00:20:00 UTC | #434644

/Mike's Avatar Comment 8 by /Mike

tag closed, thanks

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 02:55:00 UTC | #434664

supernorbert's Avatar Comment 9 by supernorbert

@Venon

someone is loading it up at the moment...

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 03:13:00 UTC | #434666

Fuzzy Duck's Avatar Comment 10 by Fuzzy Duck

[In high-pitched voice:] "Oooohh, Jane! It's ROBIN! AHH!!"

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 03:53:00 UTC | #434676

mblarson323's Avatar Comment 11 by mblarson323

Not available in my area! WTF?

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 04:53:00 UTC | #434691

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 12 by SaintStephen

Robin Ince is brilliant.

How can any atheist watch this show and not feel like they are part of the IN crowd?

What an uplifting experience! Thanks to anonykai for hosting these videos on his Youtube channel.

P.S. Great joke by Simon Singh:

I'm not anti-religious at all... in fact, earlier this year, I joined the UK Reincarnation Society. It cost me 500 quid, but I thought "What the hell. You only live once."

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 05:17:00 UTC | #434697

retep57's Avatar Comment 13 by retep57

youtube can be good, what a treat! thanks a lot.

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 05:29:00 UTC | #434700

Roy_H's Avatar Comment 14 by Roy_H

I enjoyed it all apart from the end. I am usually a big fan of Barry Cryer but I found that "Peace and Quiet" thing was totally pointless and very annoying!

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 06:56:00 UTC | #434710

lol mahmood's Avatar Comment 15 by lol mahmood

Am I the only one who found it to be a bit of a damp squib? I could tell that a lot had been edited out, but much of what was left in was a bit too ... I don't know... earnest. It didn't feel like a cohesive set of acts, more a disparate bunch of atheists sharing a stage.

RD's slot was cut right down; can anyone who was there on the night confirm what else he read out? I'd have liked to have heard him do an abridged version of the speech he made in (I think) 2008 where he contrasted scientifically tested views with those obtained by revelation, tradition or strong feeling.

I missed the beginning of the show, but of the acts that made it to TV; I thought Brian Cox's and Simon Singh's bits were good, the rapper was very clever, Robin Ince was quite funny...overall it reminded me of the Secret Policeman's Ball: worthy, sometimes rewarding, thrown together and 'all for a good cause'.

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 07:27:00 UTC | #434712

danhayes's Avatar Comment 16 by danhayes

I was disappointed with the BBC edit, although I appreciate that they were unlikely to show the whole 3 hours.
I was lucky enough to be at the Bloomsbury Theatre the night before when Richard said his take on PG Woodhouse 'fell flat' - I thought it was great.

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 10:32:00 UTC | #434735

billpg's Avatar Comment 17 by billpg

I can understand only showing edited highlights, at "prime time" , but I'd have happily set the DVR to record the full show overnight when BBC FOUR is off air and the children's channels haven't taken the slot during the day.

Oh well. I guess I'll have to attend the show itself next time.

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 12:41:00 UTC | #434744

the great teapot's Avatar Comment 18 by the great teapot

I never thought I would hear myself say this but the rap artist and the Iranian comedien were excellent.

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 13:16:00 UTC | #434750

Follow Peter Egan's Avatar Comment 19 by Follow Peter Egan

Was very disappointed not to be able to go to this, so it's nice to see the edited highlights. I never knew Ben Goldacre spoke so quickly!

I was lucky enough to once see Richard reading "The Great Bus Mystery" and hope to see more Wodehouse homages in future; but with a canon of work like Richard's, there's no shortage of options. "Deadly serious" or an affectionate rendering of Wodehouse would be equally welcome.

As others have said, uplifting stuff.

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 13:23:00 UTC | #434752

Friend Giskard's Avatar Comment 20 by Friend Giskard

Nice to see some physics jokes in there, which reminded me of this one:

"Milk production at a dairy farm was low so the farmer wrote to the local university, asking help from academia. A multidisciplinary team of professors was assembled, headed by a theoretical physicist, and two weeks of intensive on-site investigation took place. The scholars then returned to the university, notebooks crammed with data, where the task of writing the report was left to the team leader. Shortly thereafter the farmer received the write-up, and opened it to read on the first line: "Consider a spherical cow in vacuum. . . ."

ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_cow

I first heard a version of this joke in the sitcom The Big Bang Theory, but with spherical chickens instead of cows.

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 16:31:00 UTC | #434771

jel's Avatar Comment 21 by jel

just watched this on bbci player. absolutely hilarious AND interesting. a wonderful mix of science, songs and jokes. i have to try to get tickets for the next show.

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 17:03:00 UTC | #434778

scoobie's Avatar Comment 22 by scoobie

Me too.
A few bits were funny and genuinely good entertainment, such as Brian Cox's bit. In fact his "act" was superb, but then he's a gifted old pro at this sort of thing. A few bits were earnestly cringeworthy, such as the guitarist singing his ode to evolution. I'm afraid the band looked and sounded as if it consisted of volunteers who'd brought an instrument along that night (though the trumpeter sounded like he knew what he was doing). On the other hand it was heartening to see so many nerds in one place on and off stage being together and having a good time.

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 17:33:00 UTC | #434782

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 23 by Jos Gibbons

Comment #454201 by Friend Giskard

I've never seen the Big Bang theory (the show), but I have encountered spherical chickens in a discussion of calculating details of how to cook one by calculating with the heat equation. A plum pudding would have been a much better idea, but NOOOO. (Presumably physicists dislike being reminded of a faulty atomic model.)

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 20:15:00 UTC | #434809

Cook@Tahiti's Avatar Comment 24 by Cook@Tahiti

I was at the very first one of these in 2008 at the Bloomsbury Theatre. Also on the line-up were Ricky Gervais and Tim Minchin. A superb night out.

After seeing 2009, congrats to Ince for organising all this. 9 out of 10.
My minor criticisms would be:
Simon Singh needs to get some new material. He's been doing the same stuff for years now, and who actually believes in the Bible Code anyway?
What does Ben Goldacre do after being told he was talking too fast the previous night? Talk fast. But well done to get all those complicated facts about the trials right.
Would love to see the full 2008 & 2009 shows on one DVD set. Josh - something for the RDF shop?

Mon, 25 Jan 2010 07:12:00 UTC | #434905

NathanH's Avatar Comment 25 by NathanH

Seeing as I'm in the US, I somehow doubt I'll get to see this.

Any help?

Tue, 26 Jan 2010 00:59:00 UTC | #435263

mixmastergaz's Avatar Comment 26 by mixmastergaz

I caught the repeat last night and loved it!

It looked as if Richard's turn was rather heavily edited; nothing sinister I'm sure, just reasons of time.

Simon Singh was hilarious, as was Shappi Khorsandi, but the most enjoyable parts for me were the scientists and not the singers and musicians.

The evolutionary rap was particularly impressive.

Thank goodness for the BBC, particularly BBC 4!

Wed, 27 Jan 2010 12:17:00 UTC | #435814