← How Earth Made Us: Deep Earth

How Earth Made Us: Deep Earth - Comments

j.mills's Avatar Comment 1 by j.mills

Iain Stewart is a great presenter of this material and the show makes good use of locations and graphics. His previous series Earth: The Power Of The Planet is also well worth your time, as is Aubrey Manning's earlier series for the BBC, Earth Story. (Both are on DVD.) These guys demonstrate what seems counter-intuitive: geology is exciting!

(And they were on the ball with this programme, squeezing in a mention of the Haiti earthquake!)

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 04:06:00 UTC | #434680

Mbee's Avatar Comment 2 by Mbee

I've just watched part 1 - great program.

All of this stuff should be shown in all schools in the UK and US and worldwide to show kids what the world is all about.

Looking forward to seeing all the other parts.

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 04:12:00 UTC | #434681

Mitch Kahle's Avatar Comment 3 by Mitch Kahle

Excellent production... BBC does it again!

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 04:39:00 UTC | #434688

astronomer24's Avatar Comment 4 by astronomer24

BBC rocks my socks.

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 05:14:00 UTC | #434695

Lithium_joe's Avatar Comment 5 by Lithium_joe

Iain Stewart did another two other series on geology

Hot Rocks was on the Science Channel and Journeys from the Centre of The Earth with the Open University series of programmes.

The former was a tour of the Mediterranean; the latter (and the book that accompaied it) was the same exposition of his central thesis that human existence and geology are intertwined.

But each episode was focussed on a different cultural theme: Civilisation, Archtecture, Art, Belief - and some that broke the pattern, Rocks, Salt and Water.

My favourite episode from that series was how the early pigments used art were derived from rocks and so influenced the palette available for art throughout ancient civilisations.

Simple when you stop and think about it.

Iain Stewart also did some short series for I think BBC 4 called "10 Things you didn't know about": Avalanches, Volcanoes, Earthquakes and Tidal Waves.

None of these series are out on dvd AFAIK, but they are often repeated and with any luck they'll be up on youtube or available as torrents.

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 05:43:00 UTC | #434702

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 6 by mordacious1

Superman...is that you?

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 05:59:00 UTC | #434703

helena!'s Avatar Comment 7 by helena!

WOWeee!

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 07:22:00 UTC | #434711

bjornove's Avatar Comment 8 by bjornove

Agree with all above. Aubrey Manning's series Earth Story opened my biologist eyes to the importance of geology. Highly recommended to science and biology teacher as my self. These programmes are easily found as torrents. I would also like to recommend the latest doc from PBS

This is an excellent program about the science of evo-devo (evolutionary developmental biology)

I am seeding right now

If this file is to large for you (it's 1280x720 mkv format) you will find other version of this doc as torrents (thanks to Dhamma for this tip)

Bjorn

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 08:45:00 UTC | #434718

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 9 by Dhamma

I'm forever thankful to BBC. They've produced amazing documentaries for decades.

Reading the above comments, I'm sure they'll deliver again. So I'm off for an hour now :)

Thanks for mentioning that documentary, Björn. However, I found one less than 1 GB, so I'll go for that one.

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 09:11:00 UTC | #434721

Big T's Avatar Comment 10 by Big T

Jericho was founded 10,000 years ago? What a bunch of bullshit. The earth is a little over 6,000 years old. In fact, at the age of 61, I am more than 1/100th the age of the entire universe.

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 10:53:00 UTC | #434737

Jeromex's Avatar Comment 11 by Jeromex

Great doc, I found it ironic that the "related videos" listed beside the viewing screen in youtube were all creationalist videos...

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 12:14:00 UTC | #434742

Nunbeliever's Avatar Comment 12 by Nunbeliever

Great show, but I am sorry to say it took me a few minutes to get used to the reporter's strong dialect :-)

EDIT: Damn, this documentary made me seriously think about getting my backpack and going out to seek some adventures... There is so much to see out there, but so little time :-(

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 12:49:00 UTC | #434745

Logicel's Avatar Comment 13 by Logicel

Now come on, anyone with a half a brain can see that those crystals could not come into being without intention.

It was Jor-El.

Nunbeliever, now this is a strong Scottish accent:

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 15:16:00 UTC | #434758

Friend Giskard's Avatar Comment 14 by Friend Giskard

Also don't forget Chemistry: A Volatile History. Episode one is repeated on Monday night on BBC4. It is very good. Somebody should put that on YouTube if they haven't already.

edit: Ah. It seems they have. Josh just posted the link.

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 16:05:00 UTC | #434764

quisquose's Avatar Comment 15 by quisquose

I just want add to the comments about Aubrey Manning's Earth Story. It is my most favourite TV programme ... ever!

I watched this programme and Chemistry: A Volatile History this week and found them so utterly entertaining that I am always puzzled why we seem to be in the minority. How can the majority find Strictly X Talent more entertaining than this?

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 18:06:00 UTC | #434791

opposablethumbs's Avatar Comment 16 by opposablethumbs

Another brilliant programme from Iain Stewart - Journeys from the Centre of the Earth was so good we posted to say thanks and try to find out if it was available on DVD (sadly not, apparently) - and now we're all very much looking forward to the next ep.

... cant' help wondering what scottishgeologist might think! ;D

Mon, 25 Jan 2010 00:19:00 UTC | #434854

Sharrow's Avatar Comment 17 by Sharrow

Was expecting much from this as my colleague's father was one of the consultants on the programme and he is the leading expert on the geology of salt and minerals. I think it delivered.

And just think that there are 'plate tectonics deniers' out there still, who don't believe in subduction zones and the like! Unlike deniers of evolution, these people are actually scientists. It makes you wonder!

Mon, 25 Jan 2010 15:40:00 UTC | #435072