← The God Delusion - back on the Times extended list at #24

The God Delusion - back on the Times extended list at #24 - Comments

God fearing Atheist's Avatar Comment 1 by God fearing Atheist

How many have been sold in the USA?

How many are sold per month?

If it continues at that rate, how long will it take for 50% of the adult population of the USA to have read it? Ok, silly question, but No. 24 tells me even less.

Wed, 27 Jan 2010 23:24:00 UTC | #436098

bendigeidfran's Avatar Comment 2 by bendigeidfran

I re-read it recently and it's much better than it was.

Wed, 27 Jan 2010 23:37:00 UTC | #436103

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 3 by Richard Dawkins

How many have been sold in the USA?
As it happens, I have just been sent some recent figures for sales of The God Delusion in English:-
North America 907,161
Rest of World 1,179,241
Total English language 2,086,402

Richard

Thu, 28 Jan 2010 00:27:00 UTC | #436113

NewEnglandBob's Avatar Comment 4 by NewEnglandBob

#2 by bendigeidfran:

That is like the child who thinks his parents gained much knowledge from his teen years to his mid-20s.

Thu, 28 Jan 2010 00:28:00 UTC | #436114

j.mills's Avatar Comment 5 by j.mills

Or the guy who didn't believe what he read in the paper, so he bought three more copies to check.

Richard, those sales figures indicate that you are now wealthy enough to buy us all an ice cream*. The God Delusion by Richer'd Dawkins - geddit? Geddit?

(* Vegan ice cream, obviously.)

Thu, 28 Jan 2010 01:08:00 UTC | #436123

mbannonb's Avatar Comment 6 by mbannonb

"Total English language 2,086,402"

That has to feel incredibly good.

Thu, 28 Jan 2010 01:10:00 UTC | #436124

bckiter's Avatar Comment 7 by bckiter

Thank you Richard Dawkins for posting the figures for sales of your brilliant book! I was always curious to know how many copies were sold.

Thu, 28 Jan 2010 01:25:00 UTC | #436128

AdrianT's Avatar Comment 8 by AdrianT

Excellent news - 2 million copies in english! I wonder what total worldwide sales are now. Congratulations.

I think the rise of the Teabaggers, the increasingly vocal religious right, and their ludicrous claims (healthcare, abortion, Obama's nationality...)is making the reading of this book a necessity.

Thu, 28 Jan 2010 01:37:00 UTC | #436136

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 9 by mordacious1

The sales do not tell the whole story. I bought a hardcover copy of TGD for my local library, because their copy had been checked-out so often that it was falling apart. I think a lot more people have read this book than the 2 million english copies sold, which is a wonderful thing.

Thu, 28 Jan 2010 01:44:00 UTC | #436138

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 10 by InYourFaceNewYorker

Nice.

Thu, 28 Jan 2010 01:51:00 UTC | #436143

Rich Wilson's Avatar Comment 11 by Rich Wilson

I'm curious which is the more important for people to read. That is, which would you prefer to see sell the most copies: The God Delusion, or The Greatest Show?

Thu, 28 Jan 2010 01:57:00 UTC | #436148

cafeeine's Avatar Comment 12 by cafeeine

Is there a way to find out the results for foreign language translations? (I'm interested in Greek myself)

Thu, 28 Jan 2010 01:57:00 UTC | #436149

Lindenfors's Avatar Comment 13 by Lindenfors

Congratulations on the great sales! Its an incredibly important book that has obviously got its message across. That, the Selfish Gene and The Extended Phenotype. Phew. Thanks!

Thu, 28 Jan 2010 02:35:00 UTC | #436162

twinslett's Avatar Comment 14 by twinslett

Congratulations! The God Delusion is absolutely one of my favorite books of all time!

Thu, 28 Jan 2010 05:34:00 UTC | #436196

atrociousal's Avatar Comment 15 by atrociousal

Richard...and everyone else, if you don't mind checking into this:
I read a lot and regurlarly go into the chain book stores all over Los Angeles. Every time I visit one I've never been to before I make it a point to see where they have placed "The God Delusion." Even though the back of the book identifies its category as "religion," it is consistently placed in the science or biology section with Richard's other books. The religion sections in the stores are usually very large and contain a complete aisle or two of mostly xtian books which are usually displayed with the cover facing forward along the aisle end caps. The science and/or biology sections are usually in the back of the store and are substantially smaller than the religion sections. With that said, I think "The God Delusion" would have much bigger sales in the U.S. if it was displayed correctly in the religion section (Before anyone points this out, I know atheism is not a religion) making it more visible to religious people, who, out of curiosity, might be compelled to pick it up. Has anyone else noticed this obscure placement of the book in their local bookstores? And, not surprisingly, I've had xtians admit to me that they are discouraged from reading it by their churches.

Thu, 28 Jan 2010 07:05:00 UTC | #436211

Ilovelucy's Avatar Comment 16 by Ilovelucy

Just across the page, three titles in a row:

4.EAT, PRAY, LOVE
5.ARE YOU THERE, VODKA? IT’S ME, CHELSEA
6.I HOPE THEY SERVE BEER IN HELL

Thu, 28 Jan 2010 08:36:00 UTC | #436221

mixmastergaz's Avatar Comment 17 by mixmastergaz

Terrific news on the sales front.

I'm curious as to why the book has (presumably) re-entered the sales chart 3 years after its first publication. I wonder if the dreadful earthquake and aftershocks in Haiti have caused some soul-searching, which may have led some to investigate that book that they've heard so much about.

Thu, 28 Jan 2010 09:23:00 UTC | #436232

Follow Peter Egan's Avatar Comment 18 by Follow Peter Egan

Very pleasing to see. A great read too.

A friend of mine recently said he'd lent TGD to his fairly apathetic but still believing mother, who gave up round about p50. When he quizzed her about this, her reponse was: "Oh, but I believe in god for lots of reasons he doesn't mention." He tried to persuade her that those objections were met in later chapters, but she did not take up the book again.

Methinks she had another reason for abandoning it, showing how concise the title really is.

Thu, 28 Jan 2010 09:36:00 UTC | #436236

Art Vandelay's Avatar Comment 19 by Art Vandelay

I lent my hardback copy to some friends, and the next time I went round and had to pee I found it in their bathroom, since when, in "Curb Your Enthusiasm" mode, I don't want to go near it. Gonna have to get the paperback now. It's also put me off lending any more books out- you never know where they've been.

Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:12:00 UTC | #436243

justinesaracen's Avatar Comment 20 by justinesaracen

I think the number of people affected by The God Delusion is far greater than the sales figures indicate. I would also count those people who have read excerpts in articles about Richard and who feel like they already know the content. And then there are the translations. I would think that many millions of people are aware of the book and at least some of its arguments. I have the feeling it will stick around for years in the public imagination.

Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:41:00 UTC | #436255

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 21 by Richard Dawkins

I can't give you worldwide sales, but I happen to have an up-to-date figure for the German edition, Der Gotteswahn: More than 260,000.
Richard

Thu, 28 Jan 2010 13:01:00 UTC | #436287

locutus7's Avatar Comment 22 by locutus7

I purchased quite a few copies and place one next to the bible in each hotel I stay at.

I was thinking of actually removing the hotel bibles from their covers and replacing them with TGD, but that would probably be illegal.

I think I'll start leaving a copy at airports and other public areas, just to spread the meme.

Thu, 28 Jan 2010 13:56:00 UTC | #436298

TheReason's Avatar Comment 23 by TheReason

I know this isn't on the thread but please read this link-

What's going on in the world, seriously?

Thu, 28 Jan 2010 14:06:00 UTC | #436301

Dr. Strangegod's Avatar Comment 24 by Dr. Strangegod

For what it's worth, I have not purchased a copy of TGD, nor any of Richard's or the Horsemen's books, even though they were a key part of my master's thesis. I got them from the library. Not just any library in fact, but I read much of them while sitting comfortably in the stillness of Union Theological Seminary.

Adrian T - Man I love that we get to call them Teabaggers. Heh.

Thu, 28 Jan 2010 14:40:00 UTC | #436308

dankuck's Avatar Comment 25 by dankuck

This is article 5000.

Thu, 28 Jan 2010 15:58:00 UTC | #436327

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 26 by InYourFaceNewYorker

@TheReason

Ugh these boneheads! Homeschooling doesn't have to be this mecca of anti-evolution brainwashing, but sadly in many cases it is! What a stupid article.

Thu, 28 Jan 2010 17:43:00 UTC | #436357

helena!'s Avatar Comment 27 by helena!

The Reason -

Scary stuff. What lunatics. I checked out creation.com - full site of stupidity.

Look at the side bar they have this upcoming event -

"Upcoming Events - The atheists are on the march like never before! Why? Because creation is being discussed like never before! Come get equipped with the tools to fight at CMI's supercamp: Creation 2010."

Obviously they must be feeling very threatened these days - Battle of the Bible?

Thu, 28 Jan 2010 17:57:00 UTC | #436362

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 28 by InYourFaceNewYorker

I'm surprised Wendy Wright isn't lined up as a speaker there.

Thu, 28 Jan 2010 18:31:00 UTC | #436370

helena!'s Avatar Comment 29 by helena!

IYFNY -

I'm embarrassed at the 3 guest Canadian speakers. Rather I am horrified!

They should call it brainwash camp.

Thu, 28 Jan 2010 19:01:00 UTC | #436385

Lindenfors's Avatar Comment 30 by Lindenfors

What are the Swedish sales?

Thu, 28 Jan 2010 19:24:00 UTC | #436395