← "The Greatest Show On Earth" - Paperback US Book Tour

"The Greatest Show On Earth" - Paperback US Book Tour - Comments

NewEnglandBob's Avatar Comment 1 by NewEnglandBob

May you sell a few million more copies to help educate the ignorant.

Mon, 16 Aug 2010 17:17:08 UTC | #501081

Eric Leblanc's Avatar Comment 2 by Eric Leblanc

May you sell a few million more copies to help educate the ignorant.

Seconded.

Mon, 16 Aug 2010 17:40:08 UTC | #501089

RichardofYork's Avatar Comment 3 by RichardofYork

A brilliant read ,I hope creationists and woo mongerers will buy it .

Mon, 16 Aug 2010 17:44:38 UTC | #501092

vwatson's Avatar Comment 4 by vwatson

unfortunately, the ignorant probably wont read this book. They mistakenly think that they are already enlightened

Mon, 16 Aug 2010 17:45:45 UTC | #501093

GodlessHeathenJen's Avatar Comment 5 by GodlessHeathenJen

Can't wait! (Although I'm probably the only person here who hasn't read it yet.)

Mon, 16 Aug 2010 17:48:41 UTC | #501095

bluebird's Avatar Comment 6 by bluebird

I like the new cover design.

Mon, 16 Aug 2010 18:10:04 UTC | #501103

webfra's Avatar Comment 7 by webfra

I'm currently reading it (got to Chapter 10 so far) and I like it very much. Most of the time it's easy to follow despite the fact that I am an absolute layman. Richard really deserves his status as a brilliant writer and teacher. (This is my first book of him.) I must admit, though, that I am tired of the occasional discussion of creationists arguments in the book. But thats only because I am tired of the whole "debate" (my fault) and it doesn't happen very often (in the book.) Unfortunately I accepted Evolution before, so I am not a convert =/. The first time I heard of evolution it immediately made absolute perfect sense to me. Maybe because I loved that dinosaur book so much we had when I was little. Every child I have to buy a birthday present for gets a dinosaur book from me. =D

Mon, 16 Aug 2010 18:49:02 UTC | #501120

Squigit's Avatar Comment 8 by Squigit

Comment 5 by GodlessHeathenJen

Nah. Our local library doesn't have it and I can't afford to buy the hardback, so I have yet to read it. So, my response is: Yay! I can afford it now! :)

Mon, 16 Aug 2010 19:47:42 UTC | #501139

Lapithes's Avatar Comment 9 by Lapithes

Beauuuutiful cover. The previous one was pretty too.

Mon, 16 Aug 2010 20:26:59 UTC | #501157

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 10 by Stafford Gordon

A late comer, I'm working my way throught he canon- backwards.

S G

Mon, 16 Aug 2010 20:49:17 UTC | #501170

helena!'s Avatar Comment 11 by helena!

I must have it! I have the hard cover signed and hardly dare to over-read it because I want to preserve it. It is a prized possession.

The new cover is gorgeous! The original was dazzling.

Mon, 16 Aug 2010 23:06:14 UTC | #501234

RichardofYork's Avatar Comment 12 by RichardofYork

Bit off the topic , but I've just finished "The Oxford Book of Modern Science Writing" , a brilliant read , but I wish I could have understood earlier that it was a collection of essays and articles and not a book on how to write science - DOH

Tue, 17 Aug 2010 10:21:19 UTC | #501331

GodlessHeathenJen's Avatar Comment 13 by GodlessHeathenJen

Comment 8 by Squigit :

Comment 5 by GodlessHeathenJen

That was sort of my issue too. Our whole library system has 1 copy and I've been on a waiting list since before the book was released. Like you, maybe now I can afford to just buy it.

Tue, 17 Aug 2010 11:13:29 UTC | #501348

jel's Avatar Comment 14 by jel

Is this just a US launch? I ask because I bought my paperback copy here in the UK a few months back.

Tue, 17 Aug 2010 11:29:25 UTC | #501356

k_docks's Avatar Comment 15 by k_docks

Uh? I bought my paperback copy back in June! Or is this just for the USA?

I am halfway through this volume and I can't describe how disappointed I am in it! Where is the evidence as described in the title? It's just another story about evidence that is out there somewhere that everyone else seems to have seen and believed. If this book of 'evidence' is what is supposed to educate the ignorant then the ignorant are better off staying ignorant.

A brilliant read ,I hope creationists and woo mongerers will buy it

What is a woo mongerer? Is this a scientific term that creationists will never understand because they can't do science?

Unfortunately I am an ignorant creationist that deceived myself into buying this... maybe I shouldn't be so harsh I still have half the book to go...

The new cover is gorgeous! The original was dazzling.

Yes the cover is well done, I think that is what sucked me in! Or maybe it was the title 'RICHARD DAWKINS The Greatest Show on Earth'

Tue, 17 Aug 2010 13:57:20 UTC | #501408

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 16 by Tyler Durden

Comment 15 by k_docks :

Did you read:

Chapter 5. "Before our very eyes (examples of evolution observed)"

Chapter 6. "Missing link? What do you mean, 'missing'? (the fossil record)"

Chapter 7. "Missing persons? Missing no longer (human evolution)"

To be fair, you did buy the book, so you must at least be curious, and seeking to learn. That cannot be said for most creationists. (I'd be honestly interested in hearing what you think after you finish it.)

Keep reading.

When you get to Chapter 11. "History written all over us (vestigiality and unintelligent design)" you will encounter, amongst others, the recurrent laryngeal nerve an obvious example, and evidence, for evolution.

Updated: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 14:39:37 UTC | #501416

God fearing Atheist's Avatar Comment 17 by God fearing Atheist

Comment 16 by Tyler Durden

k_docks may be talking about the difference betwen "discussing the evidence" and "showing the evidence". I.e. the difference between reading a book, and seeing a fossil in a museum.

For instance, instead of 2 pages of transcript from the talk with Wendy Wright there could have been a x page appendix listing every human fossil, the museum it is in, if it is on public display, and which other museums have casts on public display. Maybe someone should do this on the web.

On the other hand, you may be right ...

Tue, 17 Aug 2010 14:55:45 UTC | #501426

webfra's Avatar Comment 18 by webfra

Obviously some people thought that "all the evidence for evolution" would fall into their hands when they open the cover. What they don't realize, for that to happen it would take truckloads over truckloads of dust and stones, books and discs, measurements and documents to be attached to the book. Yes, the book is "just a book" DESCRIBING the evidence. You can get a glimpse of what is out there reading the book. And if you don't believe what Richards writes, it is just too bad. Millions of scientists who worked their whole life on this topic don't have the slightest doubt. And it is not that they didn't try to disprove the "theory"...

Tue, 17 Aug 2010 20:59:56 UTC | #501546

caharris.harris's Avatar Comment 19 by caharris.harris

Hell yes! I was looking at the hardback yesterday and couldn't afford to get it and the other books I was getting, so this will be great!

Tue, 17 Aug 2010 21:23:48 UTC | #501556

defulasedinisart's Avatar Comment 20 by defulasedinisart

May I suggest a book to be read alongside "The Greatest Show on Earth." It's called "The Greatest Hoax on Earth" by Dr Jonathan Sarfatti. This would go a long way towards helping to educate the ignorant. Let me know what you think.

Tue, 17 Aug 2010 22:25:51 UTC | #501573

Grant Fleming's Avatar Comment 21 by Grant Fleming

Comment Removed by Author

Wed, 18 Aug 2010 00:35:26 UTC | #501599

Grant Fleming's Avatar Comment 22 by Grant Fleming

Comment 20 by defulasedinisart :

The common denominator among the 'history deniers' is that they are firstly too lazy to study the overwhelming amount of evidence presented in Richard's book and secondly, find evolution all too complicated to understand. Creationists would much prefer (like the Jonathan Sarfatti novel) an easy-reading fairy-tale that won't upset the deluded, religious thoughts swimming around in their heads!

Wed, 18 Aug 2010 00:39:08 UTC | #501600

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 23 by Cartomancer

My beloved's birthday is coming up at the beginning of September. Perhaps I shall buy this book for him as a present. It would come from the heart.

Wed, 18 Aug 2010 00:39:49 UTC | #501602

helena!'s Avatar Comment 24 by helena!

Very well said Grant!

Wed, 18 Aug 2010 00:57:58 UTC | #501611

elainechua84's Avatar Comment 25 by elainechua84

Thank you for a very well written book that has managed to bring across very complex scientific ideas in a much simplified manner that is precise, and clear! Well done indeed! [I just read it, and I feel very grateful for the much needed education]

One question though: In the world of rapidly dividing monocellular bacterium, has there ever been evidence to show that given enough time [or during that wonderful experiment by Lenski and group], to show a unicellular organism becoming a bicellular organism?

Wed, 18 Aug 2010 01:56:52 UTC | #501623

elainechua84's Avatar Comment 26 by elainechua84

Duplicated above comment. Refer top.

Updated: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 02:01:26 UTC | #501624

Grant Fleming's Avatar Comment 27 by Grant Fleming

Comment 24 by helena! :

Very well said Grant!

Well thanks Helena! - it was easy to be said.

After just finishing Richard's book and then looking at Jonathan Sarfatti's website (while having a good laugh), my statement should become very clear!

Wed, 18 Aug 2010 02:18:08 UTC | #501627

k_docks's Avatar Comment 28 by k_docks

Comment 21 by Grant Fleming Creationists would much prefer (like the Jonathan Sarfatti novel) an easy-reading fairy-tale that won't upset the deluded, religious thoughts swimming around in their heads!

So you have read Jonathan's book Grant? Because I'm finding Richard's novel - an easy-reading fairy-tale that feeds the deluded with anti-religious thoughts that creates hate swimming around in their heads!

I am willing to study the evidence, but WHERE is it! Every web site I have visited, every book I've read, every DVD or commentary I've watched have talked ABOUT evidence as though it is common knowledge (which it should be if it is OVERWHELMING!), but present little if any data from testing and experiment, details of methods used, photos of samples, details of where the samples were found, etc. Maybe you can tell me where it is Grant? Where is the OVERWHELMING evidence? I'm not willing to beleive evolution with Blind Faith!

Wed, 18 Aug 2010 03:05:02 UTC | #501633

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 29 by Ignorant Amos

Comment 28 by k_docks

Is it someone ya need to staple this info till yer head?

Tyler mentions vestigial structures and in particular the recurrent laryngeal nerve. See the example of the Giraffe and let me know the explanation ya shoehorn in to fit it best.

Wed, 18 Aug 2010 03:51:45 UTC | #501638

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 30 by Ignorant Amos

Then there are the vestigial hind legs of the whale at about 4.40mins.

Wed, 18 Aug 2010 03:57:59 UTC | #501639