← Reminder - 10:23 Event

Reminder - 10:23 Event - Comments

Alternative Carpark's Avatar Comment 1 by Alternative Carpark

Fri, 29 Jan 2010 05:24:00 UTC | #436542

prettygoodformonkeys's Avatar Comment 2 by prettygoodformonkeys

These lunatics are playing with their lives, and someone has to stop them. There's still a chance one of them might get that molecule.

Wait: they are going to ingest two billion doses a second for 4 billion years, like the 6 billion people on the other (10 to the power of 320 in number) worlds, aren't they?

Well, then, there's a chance.
I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.

Fri, 29 Jan 2010 06:07:00 UTC | #436547

Mitch Kahle's Avatar Comment 3 by Mitch Kahle

I can just hear the homeopathic freaks now: "homeopathy only works if you believe it does."

Fri, 29 Jan 2010 06:32:00 UTC | #436550

zengardener's Avatar Comment 4 by zengardener

I'm with you, Valden

I have relatives who believe in homeopathy.
Nothing like an after dinner snack to start up a conversation.

"What's this? Dessert!"

Fri, 29 Jan 2010 06:35:00 UTC | #436551

jaytee_555's Avatar Comment 5 by jaytee_555

Perhaps it's just a rumour, but there is talk of Boots cutting a franchise deal with the Vatican to sell bottled Holy Water in small therapeutic quantities. It is claimed to be effective in warding off demonic posession and asteroid collisions. Considering its potency, I think thirty pieces of silver per 100ml bottle is a real bargain.

Fri, 29 Jan 2010 06:55:00 UTC | #436554

Kmita's Avatar Comment 6 by Kmita

"Just 300 people? Kind of ironic don't you think? They are attempting to fight against homeopathy, with a protest of homeopathic proportions."

It would only be so if those 300 people were coordinating the event for a million billion trillion zillion....billion universes!!!

300 people for a whole country isn't even close to homeopathic proportions

XD

Fri, 29 Jan 2010 07:02:00 UTC | #436555

Enlightenme..'s Avatar Comment 7 by Enlightenme..

I intend to be there, even at the less than civilised 9:30 form-up.

I figure the numbers are somewhat underestimated, as I haven't bothered signing up to the local group yet.
(Forecast is for a cold Northerly on Saturday as well - bummer)

The Bristol Homeopathy site has accreditation from Gandhi:

“Homeopathy cures a larger percentage of cases than any other method of treatment.” - Gandhi.

I always knew the guy was a bit of a nutter, I watched a documentary on him a while back where his ultimate dream was to lead his people into some kind of wacky Anarchistic-Agrarian utopia of self-sufficient smallholdings.
He'd have ended up condemning millions more to starvation.

Fri, 29 Jan 2010 07:22:00 UTC | #436558

huyzer's Avatar Comment 8 by huyzer

Comment #456071 by Alternative Carpark on January 29, 2010 at 5:24 am

Just 300 people?

Remember Thermopylae. SPARTA!

:P Yes, I realize there were additional forces.

Fri, 29 Jan 2010 09:04:00 UTC | #436576

Ivan The Not So Bad's Avatar Comment 9 by Ivan The Not So Bad

The Mathematics of homeopathy:

"To put homeopathy in a medicinal context, if you wanted to consume a normal 500mg paracetamol dose you would need ten million billion homeopathic pills. Where each pill is the same mass as the Milky Way galaxy. There is actually not enough matter in the entire known Universe to make the homeopathic equivalent of a single paracetamol pill."

Fri, 29 Jan 2010 09:12:00 UTC | #436580

findus's Avatar Comment 10 by findus

Anyone have any experience or advice for "overdosing" on homoeopathic preparations in Germany? Are sleeping pills the preparation of choice? What brand? Is there anything about the capsules themselves one should be wary of before downing several bottles at once? I have met one strong believer (and extracted assurances, that she would go to a doctor or hospital for anything severe), and also someone with dozens of alphabetically sorted bottles who, however, admits that it could be a placebo effect..
(my first post, sorry if it's out of place.)

Fri, 29 Jan 2010 10:10:00 UTC | #436600

Fyre13's Avatar Comment 11 by Fyre13

Comment #456109 by Ivan The Not So Bad - thanks for putting that link up, I could not find it the other day to this RD.net post http://richarddawkins.net/articles/5001

What I did recently during a Sunday lunch when the question for a glas of wine came up, I put a table spoon of red wine into a large glas and filled it up with water. To question marks in their eyes I said "that's your hemeopathic wine" to which complete silence followed. I hope this did the trick.

I did not explain that the table spoon of wine was actually still way too much, I thought it was enough to ponder about for the moment.

Fri, 29 Jan 2010 10:59:00 UTC | #436619

Bernard Hurley's Avatar Comment 12 by Bernard Hurley

Comment #456148 by Fyre13

Well first of all you should have used a teaspoon and second you should have repeated the process at least 30 times. The resulting brew would be so strong that just a whiff of it would knock you out for a week.

BTW, I hope you remembered to shake the preparation in the approved manner.

Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:20:00 UTC | #436624

weavehole's Avatar Comment 13 by weavehole

Comment #456148 by Fyre13

Unless, I've completely missed the point of homeopathy, I think you've completely missed the point of homeopathy here.

You would dilute wine a gajillion times in order to cure the effects that wine causes in its normal undiluted state. Mitchell and Webb made the same mistake in their Homeopathy Hospital sketch with the homeopathic lagers.

According to the woo, your concoctions would cure drunkenness. Actually, as all you would have is water this is probably the only homeopathic remedy that might have a genuine effect.

Fri, 29 Jan 2010 13:11:00 UTC | #436656

Fyre13's Avatar Comment 14 by Fyre13

No, I think you misunderstood. I only tried to make a point that watered down wine (of course I would have had to do it many times over to just have one molecule in the water) is useless in whatever effect. It had nothing to do with curing anything or alcohol problems.

Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:18:00 UTC | #436718

sara g's Avatar Comment 15 by sara g

Your demo probably only reinforced their delusion of there being actual medicine in there. It would have been more effective if you had rediluted it at least a couple of times.

Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:46:00 UTC | #436720

Nastika's Avatar Comment 16 by Nastika

Comment #456071 by Alternative Carpark

Just 300 people?

Our atmosphere has a memory of being in contact with each and every one of us on this planet. So is it not the case that all our discordant vibrations will be carried over to each and every one of these events (in safe measures of course)? We therefore don't need to attend...

Fri, 29 Jan 2010 17:25:00 UTC | #436731

Supreme Boeing's Avatar Comment 17 by Supreme Boeing

300? But they are not potters, sculptors, or blacksmiths. They are all skeptics!

This! Is! HOMEOPATHY!

Fri, 29 Jan 2010 20:04:00 UTC | #436774

Chris Roberts's Avatar Comment 18 by Chris Roberts

I might just take a walk past my local Boots in the morning.....

I only live in a small town, but if there are a few people there I might just join in.

Sounds like fun.

Fri, 29 Jan 2010 21:30:00 UTC | #436800

prettygoodformonkeys's Avatar Comment 19 by prettygoodformonkeys

15. Comment #456250 by Fyre13

Don't be surprised by unreceptiveness if you joke about watering down wine.

Your point may be good, but it's just too horrible to contemplate.

Fri, 29 Jan 2010 23:39:00 UTC | #436834

cornbread_r2's Avatar Comment 20 by cornbread_r2

Lourdes Holy Water is only $144.14 USD per liter...and has scads of actual water molecules!

Sat, 30 Jan 2010 03:27:00 UTC | #436866

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 21 by KRKBAB

These peole are playing with fire. I hope they have the intelligence to warn the local hospitals that there will be a lot of people all at once in the emergency ward. :)

Sat, 30 Jan 2010 14:40:00 UTC | #436925

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 22 by KRKBAB

12. Comment #456148 by Fyre13 says: "I'm surrounded by family members who believe in hemoepathic remedies. This is strange since we're a bunch of non-believers in any type of religion."- Well, here in the USA, I've found that non-believers maybe even believe in woo (of the non theistic type) more than theists. They think there "above" the naiveness of theism- oh the stupid....it hurts.

Sat, 30 Jan 2010 14:45:00 UTC | #436926

DocWebster's Avatar Comment 23 by DocWebster

My ex had a fit when I explained that her friends miracle cure for their latex allergies quite possibly contained a molecule of latex (it was a 30x preparation ) but only if they ingested quite a high number of pills. She seems to have decided that my use of propolis for general health requires that I believe the claims of Homeopathy whole cloth. She seems to equated beneficial medicines that occur naturally with homeopathy and resists all attempts to educate her.I guess she would claim aspirin and quinine as homeopathic simply because they are naturally occurring and naturopathic has the word nature in it. I wish I could get her to watch that James Randi video :(

Sat, 30 Jan 2010 14:57:00 UTC | #436927

weavehole's Avatar Comment 24 by weavehole

So has anybody drowned yet then?

Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:44:00 UTC | #436944

chameleonpete's Avatar Comment 25 by chameleonpete

There'll be running about all night on a big sugar rush now :). If you must have homeopathic medicine, just have a couple of polo mints, just as effective, and way cheaper!

Sat, 30 Jan 2010 20:18:00 UTC | #436978

Humanist Wikitopian's Avatar Comment 26 by Humanist Wikitopian

Did you hear the one about the homeopath who took a piss in the ocean?

Me neither, but I'm sure there must be a punchline in it somewhere...

,-)

Sun, 31 Jan 2010 01:48:00 UTC | #437011

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 27 by Agrajag

I'm waiting to hear the death toll.
;-)
Steve

EDIT: Is there any news coverage of this at all?

Sun, 31 Jan 2010 06:02:00 UTC | #437028

Lithium_joe's Avatar Comment 28 by Lithium_joe

a) It was cold in Manchester. Very Cold.

b) We had a police officer and three community support officers come by to help manage the protest. Apparently we'd been spotted on CCTV.

c)The Boots Manager looked mightily annoyed at being dragged out of her officer to witness it.

d) The pills are smaller than tic-tacs but it's still a job to swallow 84 of the things.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=193762&id=559076347 (photos)

e) Angela from something called "Channel M" joined us, with her HD camera, so there should be some footage up on youtube eventually.

f) We retired to the pub for the afternoon so the day wasn't an entire waste.

We did make the news
but there's more in there from the Society of Homeopaths about how misguided the protest was and from Boots covering themselves in the cloak of "informed public choice"

Sun, 31 Jan 2010 08:58:00 UTC | #437035

PJG's Avatar Comment 29 by PJG

I was one of the "overdosees" in Leicester so I am speaking from a position of support here but ....

All the objections about people delaying medical treatment etc are valid but anecdotal "evidence" will drown that out. However, many of the people who claim that "placebos work" would oppose companies if they were conning people.

Homeopathy is a con.

Marketing "medicines" which contain 0% active ingredient is a scam. "Aspirin tablets" with 0% aspirin would work too - at placebo level. Would that make it OK for Boots, or any other company, to market them as real medicines?

Sun, 31 Jan 2010 10:56:00 UTC | #437043