← Make The Pope Pay

Make The Pope Pay - Comments

ANTIcarrot's Avatar Comment 1 by ANTIcarrot

Broken link. Leads to a locked section of the website (instead of a public petition!) that people can't access without a password.

[Edit:] [url]http://www.secularism.org.uk/petition-the-pm.html[/url]
Thanks Darkmatter!

Mon, 01 Feb 2010 17:45:00 UTC | #437582

Max of Earlobes's Avatar Comment 2 by Max of Earlobes

Excellent! The pope is a disgrace. Why is it that he can visit the UK and Geert Wilders can't? His remarks about Mohammed ("Look at what Mohammed brought to the world that was new and you will find only evil") seem to me to be no different to Wilders's comments on violent passages in teh Qu'ran. And Wilders had to pay for his attempted entry to the UK.

Mon, 01 Feb 2010 17:45:00 UTC | #437583

Swordmaiden's Avatar Comment 3 by Swordmaiden

Plans are afoot with the NSS, BHA, GALHA and many
others to protest the Pope's planned tour of the UK in September -
under the banner “Protest the Pope’s State Visit to the UK”

I have asked RDF if they would join this coalition if the visit goes ahead but no one ever answers my emails.

The coalition has been formed to provide a focal point for
organisations and individuals to register their disapproval of the
State Visit to the UK by the Pope in September 2010. The principal
objections many have to the arrival of the Pope are:

• that the Pope’s visit to the UK is a State Visit;
• that public money will be used to fund the visit of a religious
leader; current estimates suggest £20 million;
• that we deplore the Pope’s intolerant and harsh views on many
important social issues (women's rights, gays rights, condoms etc) and
the Pope’s role in enabling the cover up child sex abuse in the
Catholic church.

The coalition is setting up a web-site - protestthepope.org - which
will be both a resource and a meeting place for organisations and
individuals to promote their own events and activities.
I think it's time to stick together on this and do a bit of "shrilling"!

Mon, 01 Feb 2010 17:50:00 UTC | #437585

Jogga's Avatar Comment 4 by Jogga

While the link remains broken, you can sign the petition at http://www.secularism.org.uk/petition-the-pm.html

Mon, 01 Feb 2010 17:56:00 UTC | #437590

root2squared's Avatar Comment 5 by root2squared

Someone show the pope this video when he comes.

Sell the Vatican

Mon, 01 Feb 2010 18:23:00 UTC | #437597

Dark Matter's Avatar Comment 6 by Dark Matter

I have signed and I will be there to protest in person - spread the word.

They haven't announced the dates yet but I would please ask anyone who is within range to join the protests as well.

Mon, 01 Feb 2010 18:32:00 UTC | #437601

Rawhard Dickins's Avatar Comment 7 by Rawhard Dickins

If he wasn't so unpopular he wouldn't need expensive protection!

Mon, 01 Feb 2010 18:33:00 UTC | #437602

Dark Matter's Avatar Comment 8 by Dark Matter

@ANTICARROT

"Broken link. Leads to a locked section of the website (instead of a public petition!) that people can't access without a password"

I hope this helps.

Petition:

Protests:

See you there.

Mon, 01 Feb 2010 18:36:00 UTC | #437603

Logicel's Avatar Comment 9 by Logicel

How great it would be if protesting the pope's visits will catch on like the atheist bus campaign did.

Has there ever been an organized protest to a pope's visit? Is this protest setting an precedent? It seems so to me. I have been waiting for this all my life, when the deferential respect given to the pope starts to erode.

swordmaiden, the principal objections stated by the coalition are spot on.

The Vatican is a state, and it shouldn't be. Though it is up to Italy to crack that one, if there are protests globally showing how ridiculous the statehood of the Vatican is, perhaps it would give some weight to Italians trying to eliminate the Vatican's statehood.

Mon, 01 Feb 2010 18:54:00 UTC | #437609

apolloman's Avatar Comment 10 by apolloman

I can't get in either to read article or sign petition...

Mon, 01 Feb 2010 18:55:00 UTC | #437611

croftr's Avatar Comment 11 by croftr

As Jogga posted, this link works.

I have signed up and started spreading the word. Only 530 signatures so far but early days yet.

Mon, 01 Feb 2010 18:59:00 UTC | #437612

phasmagigas's Avatar Comment 12 by phasmagigas

cant wait to hear the popes speeches, as usual they will consist of:

1)assertions without evidence
2)actual lies
3)things a reasonable 9 year old could tell us.
4)things that promote bigotry, especially towards people who dont fit the profile 'heterosexual' or 'born a male still a male' or 'born a female and still a female'.

Mon, 01 Feb 2010 19:01:00 UTC | #437615

prettygoodformonkeys's Avatar Comment 13 by prettygoodformonkeys

3. Comment #457140 by Swordmaiden

stick together on this and do a bit of "shrilling"
That's an excellent term to apply to a gathering of atheists.

"There will be a Shrilling held this Tuesday, at 7 PM, in the basement of the former Anglican Church, directly under the new Starbucks. Feel free to bring a friend, as long as they are not imaginary."

Mon, 01 Feb 2010 19:05:00 UTC | #437616

sdando's Avatar Comment 14 by sdando

Logicel:

I completely agree that the Vatican should not be a state. The problem is that a small section of Rome is afforded the rights under international law of a sovereign state while it is really nothing but the worold headquarters of a church.

Protest the fact that the UK recognizes the Vatican City and has an embassy and ambassador specifically for this sngle religion. Without this the Pope would not be a head of state and this would not be a Sate visit at all.

I do not believe it is entirely up to Italy to change the status of the Vatican at all. The international community need not recognize it whatever the Italians wish to do.

Mon, 01 Feb 2010 19:06:00 UTC | #437617

Logicel's Avatar Comment 15 by Logicel

good points, sdando.

Mon, 01 Feb 2010 19:08:00 UTC | #437619

EoghainOKeeffe's Avatar Comment 16 by EoghainOKeeffe

The pope is currently opposing the equality bill, in the UK, because he claims that it takes away the church's 'basic human right' to discriminate against homosexuals. Nice.

Mon, 01 Feb 2010 19:09:00 UTC | #437620

Logicel's Avatar Comment 17 by Logicel

I had mentioned awhile back, that perhaps the very aspect of the Catholic Church--its entrenched centralization, its easily recognized brand--that once was its strength, will lead to its downfall. Its monolithic character allows it to be readily focused upon with startling precision.

Mon, 01 Feb 2010 19:12:00 UTC | #437623

PaulJ's Avatar Comment 19 by PaulJ

I'm inclined to sign this petition, but I don't want to do so impetuously. Perhaps someone could enlighten me: if my taxes are going towards the £20million, what exactly is in it for me?

Mon, 01 Feb 2010 19:29:00 UTC | #437633

Rikitiki13's Avatar Comment 18 by Rikitiki13

Well...if Herr Ratzinger does his tour, I can suggest a protest I wanted to do many years ago when he came to San Francisco's Candlestick Park stadium: get a blow-up sex doll, drape an open-front nun's outfit on it, fill with helium and float it above his venue.

Mon, 01 Feb 2010 19:29:00 UTC | #437632

Daisy Skipper's Avatar Comment 20 by Daisy Skipper

I'm Canadian and this doesn't directly affect me, but I'm a little concerned. I can picture the headlines stating something to the effect "Atheists Protest Pope's Visit".

Unless the protest is carefully organized, the public will only see atheists protesting the pope's visit and forget about the issue of it being state funded. The protest would then appear petty and spiteful.

Mon, 01 Feb 2010 19:53:00 UTC | #437646

Ivan The Not So Bad's Avatar Comment 21 by Ivan The Not So Bad

Here is what Ratzinger has said today about the UK equality legislation.

Basically, a man who has denied himself sex for a lifetime and sits at the head of a gang of international child rapists has described same-sex relations as "against natural law":

Git.

Mon, 01 Feb 2010 20:00:00 UTC | #437650

jonjermey's Avatar Comment 22 by jonjermey

Is he going to Ireland? Can some clever Irish atheists bring a blasphemy charge against him?

Mon, 01 Feb 2010 20:23:00 UTC | #437658

JackR's Avatar Comment 24 by JackR

Signed. The very idea that this puffed-up maniac should be subsidised to spread his demented poison is outrageous.

Mon, 01 Feb 2010 20:29:00 UTC | #437660

Dark Matter's Avatar Comment 23 by Dark Matter

PaulJ,

"I'm inclined to sign this petition, but I don't want to do so impetuously."

Fair enough.

"Perhaps someone could enlighten me: if my taxes are going towards the £20million, what exactly is in it for me?"

I'll have a go. Depending on what you politics actually are, of course, then there are many potential benefits.

If the Pope pays instead of us tax payers then that is £20,000,000 that can instead be used to build new hospitals or schools, hire new teachers or doctors / nurses; help to equip our soldiers; providing care for the frail or elderly; tax relief for us hard hit tax payers or a tiny contribution towards paying off Britain's massive debt.

That's just from the top-of-my-head but, personally, I think there is a lot in it for all of us.

Maybe the whole area of expensive state visits and whether they really are absolutely necessary (some, like this one, are clearly not) should be closely examined in Bankrupt Britain?

Mon, 01 Feb 2010 20:29:00 UTC | #437659

PrimeNumbers's Avatar Comment 26 by PrimeNumbers

Can we not arrest the boy Nazi for war crimes as soon as he turns up, and perhaps find some African aids victims of his evil policies to launch criminal action against him?

Mon, 01 Feb 2010 20:58:00 UTC | #437672

jcob82's Avatar Comment 27 by jcob82

Why does the pope need security anyway? Should he not put his faith in god and forgo the protection? I would think god's love and protection would be sufficient. Furthermore if god wants the pope dead would not the security detail be worthless? Apparently when it comes to security the pope is an atheist and relies on real things to protect him. I hope you Brits tell the pope to put his money where his mouth is when he comes.

Mon, 01 Feb 2010 21:59:00 UTC | #437693

ANTIcarrot's Avatar Comment 28 by ANTIcarrot

Can't we also arrest him for accessory to child abuse and obstruction of justice?

Mon, 01 Feb 2010 22:11:00 UTC | #437698

Chrysippus_Maximus's Avatar Comment 29 by Chrysippus_Maximus

This doesn't make much sense, tbh.

The Pope is both a religious and (de facto) political leader, in much the same way the Queen of England is.

Being an atheist or a secularist (and I am unabashedly both) has nothing to do with anything here, unless you think we should discriminate in our funding of state visits on the basis of whether the leader of a state also happens to be a religious leader?

It seems to me that the Pope's visit doesn't constitute an endorsement or establishment of religion by the government who funds his visit.

This NSS point seems more libertarian than secular in its aim.

Not all secularists are libertarians, nor does being a secularist mean this sort of strange discrimination.

... That said... My personal opinion of any Pope is in line with this.

Mon, 01 Feb 2010 22:44:00 UTC | #437712

cnocspeireag's Avatar Comment 30 by cnocspeireag

You have to realize that the UK government will only prosecute international criminals if they are poor or without influence. Those who can make them rich after their parliamentary careers have to remain immune.
I justified to friends my lifetime voting for Labour on the grounds that the Tories would never have kept Pinochet in the UK pending prosecution. Our Foreign Secretary let him go, for who knows what corrupt reason. I'll never make the mistake of voting Labour again.

Mon, 01 Feb 2010 22:45:00 UTC | #437714