← Christopher Hitchens and Cancer

Christopher Hitchens and Cancer - Comments

Mark Jones's Avatar Comment 1 by Mark Jones

Very good - Christians to blame? I think this only counts as circumstantial at the moment. We need evidence of two Christians coming together (do Ann Widdecombe and the Bishop of Abuja count?) and then we need some taped evidence of them cursing under their breath - "Damn the Hitch!" - or similar.

Of course, atheists would consider any such cursers innocent, but, ironically, Christians should feel obliged to give themselves up to the appropriate authorities for summary sentencing, if they had any moral fibre, and genuine belief in prayer. Form an orderly queue.

Thu, 19 Aug 2010 15:58:26 UTC | #502486

Dr. Strangegod's Avatar Comment 2 by Dr. Strangegod

That does it, I'm convinced. I am no longer a nonbeliever (silly, silly hubris!). Commencing prayers to Satan for Hitch's eternal demonic life (though maybe with some kind of energy counter like in Spawn). Will two (or three) of you join me?

Thu, 19 Aug 2010 16:20:04 UTC | #502496

ShoutingQuietly's Avatar Comment 3 by ShoutingQuietly

God can't be responsible for Hitch's cancer. As a quick search in the online bible gave me this. //Sorry. No results found for "cancer" in Keyword Search.\

If cancer isn't mentioned in the bible then god didn't know about it, if you don't know aobut something your a bit less omnipitent but most importantly it would be hard to intentionally give that illness to an individual.

It's worth noting that god didn't impart much knowledge in the bible that could actually help man either. Like telling us about the laws of physics, basic hygene, nature of communicable diseases etc.. all of which could have saved millions of his beloved (but sinful, and doomed without his grace) children. It's almost as if the bible wasnt written by god, but by ignorant, illiterate iron age men, who handed stories on by word of mouth .

Thu, 19 Aug 2010 16:21:16 UTC | #502498

mucca's Avatar Comment 4 by mucca

Allah has apparently forgotten Pakistan.

Thu, 19 Aug 2010 17:10:11 UTC | #502523

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 5 by Stafford Gordon

Excellent.

S G

Thu, 19 Aug 2010 17:33:34 UTC | #502534

jac12358's Avatar Comment 6 by jac12358

This is sick.

Thu, 19 Aug 2010 18:53:01 UTC | #502583

jaytee_555's Avatar Comment 7 by jaytee_555

Tasteless and unfunny too.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who is unimpressed.

Updated: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 19:13:54 UTC | #502594

NewEnglandBob's Avatar Comment 8 by NewEnglandBob

I agree with you jaytee_555.

Thu, 19 Aug 2010 20:28:19 UTC | #502622

Charisma's Avatar Comment 9 by Charisma

I also agree with the two comments above. It wasn't funny.

Thu, 19 Aug 2010 20:40:47 UTC | #502632

BanJoIvie's Avatar Comment 10 by BanJoIvie

Huh, I find Brian's tribute hilarious and even touching. I can't imagine why anyone would find it 'tasteless' or 'sick'. I'd have thought fans of the famously pugilistic and thick-skinned Mr. Hitchens would have a bit more stomach for humor that lands near the belt.

Thu, 19 Aug 2010 22:57:42 UTC | #502678

juvenal's Avatar Comment 11 by juvenal

Oh yes it was! Manners matter, but Taboos are as silly as superstitions...

Thu, 19 Aug 2010 22:59:19 UTC | #502679

yyarovyy's Avatar Comment 12 by yyarovyy

Trying to make fun of religion by crudely using Hitchens's misfortune is highly disturbing.

Updated: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 23:04:04 UTC | #502682

BanJoIvie's Avatar Comment 13 by BanJoIvie

I bet Hitch would disagree.

Thu, 19 Aug 2010 23:23:58 UTC | #502688

Alternative Carpark's Avatar Comment 14 by Alternative Carpark

I certainly wouldn't call this piece offensive - except, perhaps, offensive to anyone who appreciates good comedy. Never been a fan of Mr. Deity so my hopes weren't high.

This kind of comedy in America always runs the risk of being misapprehended, much like the British sitcom "In sickness and in health". In ISAIH (not Isaiah; In sickness and in health) Bigoted old fool, Alf Garnet, was intended by the show's creators to be an object of ridicule, and they were in fact poking fun at racism; however, much of the "working-class" audience never realised this, or cared, and instead sided with Mr. Garnet (Go on Alf, you give them nignogs what for).

Similarly, I'm sure many US readers of a religious bent would look at this piece and happily take it at face value. This is not, I repeat, not because Americans do not "get" irony, but simply because there are too many people who actually hold and express such views.

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 00:39:22 UTC | #502714

njwong's Avatar Comment 15 by njwong

This was laugh out loud hilarious! As the originator of the famous quote "if you gave Falwell an enema you could bury him in a match box", I think the Hitch would approve!

Excellent!

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 01:06:46 UTC | #502721

quarecuss's Avatar Comment 16 by quarecuss

Tiresome, juvenile ... I cannot see Christopher Hitchens enjoying this at all. He's got too much class for this kind of silly sneering at some religious people who are sadly ignorant. A sharp one-liner from Hitchens would be far more devastating than all this long-winded drivel.

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 02:49:03 UTC | #502732

yyarovyy's Avatar Comment 17 by yyarovyy

Well, it seems like the posts above serve as great proof for atheists' diversity.

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 03:20:37 UTC | #502735

Charisma's Avatar Comment 18 by Charisma

I don't think it's disgusting, it just wasn't humourous.

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:39:43 UTC | #503044