← Parents sacrifice 4-yr-old girl to become rich

Parents sacrifice 4-yr-old girl to become rich - Comments

Mr-discovery's Avatar Comment 1 by Mr-discovery

Wow thats the most messed up thing i've heard in my life...

Updated: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 12:12:27 UTC | #502881

Narvi's Avatar Comment 2 by Narvi

The article was scary, but the last line was by far the worst:

Barely a couple of days back a nine- year-old girl was buried alive by her own uncle in Uttar Pradesh’s Gonda district to please the goddess so that he could become rich.

In other words: this wasn't a one-time occurence. Just think about that for a second, and wonder how many of these kids we just don't hear about.

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 12:17:17 UTC | #502887

legal9ball's Avatar Comment 3 by legal9ball

The problem here has been misidentified in the article as lust for wealth. That wasn't the problem. The problem was supersitition and the barbarism it inspires.

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 12:18:55 UTC | #502889

sunky4u's Avatar Comment 4 by sunky4u

Comment 1 by Mr-discovery :

Wow thats the most messed up thing i've heard in my life...

i've read of worse >>> and it only gets better :)

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 12:27:04 UTC | #502891

Mr-discovery's Avatar Comment 5 by Mr-discovery

all comes to bad education too

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 12:27:27 UTC | #502892

RichardofYork's Avatar Comment 6 by RichardofYork

Jaw droppingly horrible , the tantrik monk will tell them they will be a little better off financially as theres one less mouth to feed

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 12:33:52 UTC | #502897

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 7 by Stafford Gordon

Heart rending cruelty. What must that little mite have felt and thought.

Unbearably, unspeakably horrible.

S G

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 12:44:15 UTC | #502905

Logicel's Avatar Comment 8 by Logicel

I can understand why educated and intelligent people like Francis Collins allow their brains to go to mush in a compartmentalized sense so they can believe that this poor young human would go some place perfect, where she would be happy and safe forever. I have even allowed myself to fantasize for a second in that regard. Sadly, the only thing I can do is to work towards a reality where this can't happen. We can't make it up to this one poor child. Ever.

How can superstition and lack of education overwhelm the human ability for empathy to such an extent? Am I being naive to think that these people involved are pathological beyond being religious? Not all superstitious people would do this terrible thing is my point.

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 12:46:20 UTC | #502906

Eric Leblanc's Avatar Comment 9 by Eric Leblanc

There are so many disgusting cases of cruelty in this world right now, that I think I've grown immune to new occurrences. It's saddening that it can get to that point.

A nice example to place in my book, however.

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 13:34:20 UTC | #502928

82abhilash's Avatar Comment 10 by 82abhilash

In Indian wedding's traditionally the bride's household pays for the wedding and a dowry. It is very expensive. Consequently it is not an uncommon attitude to see girl children as a financial burden. The parents have to start saving early to marry off their daughters. So in poor family there is incentive to handle things 'differently'.

The tantrik is just giving a semblance of religious approval to what is basically a financial decision. So it makes the news. Female infanticide and abortion after gender-determination of the fetus don’t draw too much attention anymore.

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 13:36:42 UTC | #502930

82abhilash's Avatar Comment 11 by 82abhilash

test comment

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 13:37:38 UTC | #502932

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 12 by Ignorant Amos

These people are fubar'd!

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 13:40:30 UTC | #502933

jac12358's Avatar Comment 13 by jac12358

Let me get this straight:

1. Dawkins' message of science and reason is the answer, we are a product of evolution, and god is a delusion - NO THANKS! Are you kidding me?

2. Torture and murder your own child to acquire (somehow) material wealth as a result (and somehow eluding capture) - GREAT! SIGN ME UP! Now this makes sense to me!

???

Perhaps on the whole homo sapiens is not very intelligent after all, and those who are are some sort of rare mutation struggling to survive in the status quo sea of dangerous stupidity?

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 13:48:45 UTC | #502938

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 14 by Richard Dawkins

It is one thing to burn her alive, with a cloth stuffed in her mouth. But why was she also 'mercilessly beaten'? Are we to presume that beating her before roasting her would make them even richer? I wonder what they planned to do with their riches. Not pass them on to the next generation, it would seem.

Richard

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:08:15 UTC | #502947

mooterskooter's Avatar Comment 15 by mooterskooter

This...words cannot express. It made me feel physically sick. I'm close to not believing this is real. Being a parent myself, I simply cannot understand how anyone could do this.

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:13:15 UTC | #502950

Dr. Strangegod's Avatar Comment 16 by Dr. Strangegod

Okay, so these parents are terrible people. But this tantrik guy is the real culprit. All over the globe, guys like this abuse the ignorant folk of the land, all the time. A good friend of mine in Africa died of a black mamba bite. After he got bit, they didn't take him to the hospital (which, in any case, was hours away). Instead, they had a witchdoctor rub some herbs into the wounds. His leg swelled massively and he died within a day.

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:23:35 UTC | #502956

82abhilash's Avatar Comment 17 by 82abhilash

Comment 15 by Richard Dawkins

Richard

Maybe they wanted to convince themselves that it was not ‘petty’ financial reasons but 'higher' religious motives that where at work here. The greater the intensity of the ritual, the easier it is for its followers to believe such things.

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:25:02 UTC | #502958

ShoutingQuietly's Avatar Comment 18 by ShoutingQuietly

Comment 8 by Logicel :

Not all superstitious people would do this terrible thing is my point.

Oh really. then you might like to check out these stories about the Followers of Christ Church, Oregon. here

Keep looking in the related stories section. For more than one example of superstitious child neglect. By no means is this all superstitious parents, but it's more than should be in a first world country. With full access to healthcare and education. I'd better stop now this story really has an ability to make me go off at the deep end.

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:34:44 UTC | #502968

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 19 by Richard Dawkins

But this tantrik guy is the real culprit.

I could just about buy that if he had convinced the dopey parents that it was their sacred duty to some god or other to sacrifice their daughter, maybe the quickest way for her to get to heaven or something like that. But, according to this news story, they did it because they thought it would make them rich. That seems to me to put them in a class of wickedness at least on a par with the tantrik villain, if not in a class of their own.

Richard

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:53:39 UTC | #502979

Nunbeliever's Avatar Comment 20 by Nunbeliever

The couple, identified as Srikrishna and Ramdevi, were told by a “tantrik” (exorcist)that they would become rich if they sacrificed their daughter, according to police sources here.

What is wrong with this picture. Surely it goes without saying that these people are uneducated, ignorant and deluded beyond comprehension. Still, I find it absurd to credit this tragedy only to ignorance and bad education. A person willing to sacrifice his/her child in order to get personal benfits is by any standard a VERY depraved individual. In this case the act was superstisious and just absurd, but what if the same couple would have sold their child to a western pedophile to be abused and slowly tortured to death. Would that have been any different?

I do not know all the circumstances surrounding this tragedy, but I have a hard time accepting that it is all about ignorance and lack of education. I have heard of similar stories from Thailand (parents selling their kids in order to get money), but in these cases the parents are always drug addicts or in other ways desperate beyond our understanding. The article does not mention any such circumstances. Hence, I draw the conclusion that we are talking about utterly depraved individuals to be compared with people in our societies who mistreat and abuse their own children.

What is my point? Some people like to use this incident as a sign that religion and superstition lead to people killing their children. I would rather say that depraved individuals harm their children.

Updated: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 15:34:56 UTC | #502998

hairybreeks's Avatar Comment 21 by hairybreeks

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 16:01:48 UTC | #503008

green and dying's Avatar Comment 22 by green and dying

Comment 22 by hairybreeks :

I doubt it.

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 16:18:29 UTC | #503017

Big Gus's Avatar Comment 23 by Big Gus

I'd have no problem slotting all three of them! No hang on that's a bit quick we should use they're method, at least they would be able to reflect on their evil for a couple of minutes as the flames licked closer.

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 16:53:19 UTC | #503027

SteveN's Avatar Comment 24 by SteveN

Comment 15 by Richard Dawkins :

and

Comment 22 by hairybreeks : Would they have been so keen if they had been told to sacrifice a son rather than a daughter?

Although the article does not say whether these monstrous child murderers have any other children, it is conceivable that they considered sacrificing their 'useless' daughter for the future benefit of their 'important' son a logical and reasonable thing to do to.

Updated: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:02:01 UTC | #503032

Rich Wiltshir's Avatar Comment 25 by Rich Wiltshir

From the headline I took it that they'd sold the child for money; aghast I read on to understand how someone could sell their child.

Children are inquisitive, what did her parents say when she asked, "why are you digging that hole, Daddy?"

I've no more words for this.

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:24:01 UTC | #503036

Charisma's Avatar Comment 26 by Charisma

Comment 15 by Richard Dawkins: But why was she also 'mercilessly beaten'? Are we to presume that beating her before roasting her would make them even richer?

I don't think so. If I had to guess it would be because they wanted to half-bury her into the pit without a fuss. Horrible, absolutely horrible.

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:26:58 UTC | #503037

Dr. Strangegod's Avatar Comment 27 by Dr. Strangegod

Comment 20 by Richard Dawkins

But you do realize that he very likely accepted cash payment for his services, right? They don't do it for free. It is a money making gambit in almost every situation. Sometimes the payment is not cash or coin, but worse. I think that alone puts the tantrik in the company of dispicable conmen and peddlers of false supernaturalism, but the fact that the advice given was to burn a child to death makes him guilty of murder, at the very least as an accessory.

Updated: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 18:25:57 UTC | #503067

jac12358's Avatar Comment 28 by jac12358

HOW, exactly, is the TORTURE and DEATH of a little girl supposed to result in acquiring wealth? What was said the family to abate their skepticism?

The only thing I can think of (which I am sure was not even mentioned) was that there'd be one less child to feed - hardly something that would result in wealth.

But really, what series of consequences - including the avoidance of detection of their crime and the resulting punishment - could POSSIBLY result from this murder? Was there a parcel somewhere in Cairo which, the girl being murdered, and let's not forget well beaten, was visited by a fly that stopped to rest upon the corpse - this fly made the cyclist carrying the parcel - which happened to contain a lot of money - to swerve and fall on top of a note with the address of a....

I mean, how is it possible to be so easily duped?

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 19:42:08 UTC | #503109

ajs261's Avatar Comment 29 by ajs261

This article shows how easy it is to underestimate the power of irrational belief. I suppose in all fairness this may seem utterly apalling today with the advent of secular moral philosophy but the Aztecs would tear out a person's heart (often many) every single day to ensure the Sun would rise the next. Someone bought up with secular moral values will find this utterly horrifying but I can imagine it would be far less shocking in previous theocratic cultures.

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 20:49:27 UTC | #503144

BanJoIvie's Avatar Comment 30 by BanJoIvie

Horrifying beyond words. Unspeakable.

I would love to sample ractions from mainstream believers in Abrahamic faiths. Plenty of Christians I know would absolutely share my shock and horror that such a thing could ever be done by any parent anywhere. How could they not? Only they would turn around an let the myth of Abraham and Isaac be taught to their own kids as truth, and as a supposed example of virtue and faith.

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 22:28:21 UTC | #503186