← Petition - Protest the Pope

Petition - Protest the Pope - Comments

gordon's Avatar Comment 1 by gordon

Done! 1st!!!

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 16:56:00 UTC | #438501

PrimeNumbers's Avatar Comment 2 by PrimeNumbers

Hopefully this poll will go up fast. Ratzinger is a disgrace to humanity.

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 16:56:00 UTC | #438502

Luke_B's Avatar Comment 3 by Luke_B

When that one came around the other day I was thinking that we/someone should start one on the Downing Street site. Glad someone did!

Signed and down.

EDIT: Downing not Dewning, MUPPET!

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 17:06:00 UTC | #438505

alabasterocean's Avatar Comment 4 by alabasterocean

This is great, a democratic cause we should engage in more often to show our views in public.

I never experienced anything other then agreement when I had the chance to explain why I so passionately disprove of the Catholic state and it's teachings.

So, this is a splendid happening when we humanists (and the rest who agrees on the problem at hand) can draw attention to the less "kneeling view" of the church.

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 17:10:00 UTC | #438506

jel's Avatar Comment 5 by jel

signed!

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 17:13:00 UTC | #438508

Follow Peter Egan's Avatar Comment 6 by Follow Peter Egan

I have very gladly put my name to this. I personally wrote to Gordon Brown stating my extreme disappointment that he had invited this evil old man (which I didn't couch in such explicit terms), and received a one-sentence reply on his behalf saying no more than that my views "had been noted", which sounds a bit sinister, or is that just my paranoia?

Any last lingering possibility that I would vote for Brown at the election disappeared when I read the response.

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 17:19:00 UTC | #438510

ts.marsh's Avatar Comment 7 by ts.marsh

I'm not a fan of guy, but the petition reads like a hate attack. It is important to remember that the right of people like ourselves to go forth and speak about our principles is integral to the demise of the Catholic house of cards and for that to be the case we must reciprocate.

I think in a situation where Mr. Brown represents a people who are still coming to terms with many of the statements in the petition, it is important that he remains neutral. Such an aggressive stance does nothing but push the undecideds toward the evil of theism. That said, the Church should fit bill and provide security - there is no reason for this to hurt tax payers.

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 17:23:00 UTC | #438511

Dark Matter's Avatar Comment 8 by Dark Matter

Signed.

Please spread the word and encourage others to sign.

I would also encourage all those who are within range to join the protests when the Pope visits.

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 17:25:00 UTC | #438512

godsbelow's Avatar Comment 9 by godsbelow

Good old Peter Tatchell! If anyone's got the balls to mount a radical public protest, it's him - he tried to arrest Mugabe back in '99! Watch this space.

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 17:32:00 UTC | #438514

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 10 by Stafford Gordon

Done.

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 17:45:00 UTC | #438516

hoops mccann's Avatar Comment 11 by hoops mccann

I would sign this if I wasn't a Yank.

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 17:51:00 UTC | #438520

alabasterocean's Avatar Comment 12 by alabasterocean

"had been noted", which sounds a bit sinister, or is that just my paranoia?

- ha ha... well, you didn't expect your country to invade the Vatican like you did when Mr Bush called and complain about Saddam and murmured something about nuclear weapons.

Well done anyway, it's always nice to send a letter to your servants (they are!) in the parliament. Even if they often seem kind of shy in their short and less explicit answers.

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 17:53:00 UTC | #438521

Eventhorizon's Avatar Comment 13 by Eventhorizon

Tatchell is a trooper but I wish people would stop using the word intolerant. It doesnt really encourage one to know that they are merely tolerated! How would it sound if I said that I tolerate black people?

Oh, signed by the way : )

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 18:12:00 UTC | #438523

prettygoodformonkeys's Avatar Comment 14 by prettygoodformonkeys

7. Comment #458109 by ts.marsh

Neutral in the sense of a clutch that forever remains disengaged, or 'neutral' in the sense of the deal Switzerland made with the Third Reich in order to be left alone?

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 18:21:00 UTC | #438525

DamnDirtyApe's Avatar Comment 15 by DamnDirtyApe

I signed the hell out of it.

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 18:21:00 UTC | #438526

Dr. Strangegod's Avatar Comment 16 by Dr. Strangegod

Well, no signing for me on this side of the pond, but I would like to petition a few Irish lads who've been mistreated by the Pope's underlings to do something more direct. You deserve the chance. Look at this as an opportunity.

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 18:40:00 UTC | #438533

Prankster's Avatar Comment 17 by Prankster

Done.....and gladly. Anything to contribute to stopping this odious old bigot coming here at my (and other UK taxpayers) expense.

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 18:46:00 UTC | #438540

frankyv's Avatar Comment 18 by frankyv

The National Secular Society has also got a petition to demand that the catholic church pay the £20million it will otherwise cost the UK taxpayer. Please sign this one too. If we can't stop him coming, we should make his dupes pay the cost, not us.

Thanks

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 19:08:00 UTC | #438547

Logicel's Avatar Comment 20 by Logicel

What would happen to Catholicism if for some reason the papacy would remain vacant? Old guys usually replace each other, many of them lasting a few years. The pope before this one was unusual in that regard, he was middle aged and lived to old age. What happens if they run out of old guys and no young guy wants the job?

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 19:13:00 UTC | #438550

sundiver's Avatar Comment 19 by sundiver

Can't vote but do have an idea. Let him in and then hand him the bill for security, tell him he can't leave until he pays it.

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 19:13:00 UTC | #438549

j.mills's Avatar Comment 21 by j.mills

Logicel enquires:

What happens if they run out of old guys and no young guy wants the job?
Easy. Elect a woman. For preference, an unbaptised, twice-divorced, artificially-inseminated, pregnant, promiscuous, Jewish-born teenage lesbian planning an abortion. That might lead to a change of emphasis...

EDIT: Signed, FWIW.

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 19:27:00 UTC | #438554

Logicel's Avatar Comment 22 by Logicel

j.mills, She must have a punky, funky fashion sense.

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 19:32:00 UTC | #438556

Logicel's Avatar Comment 23 by Logicel

She could wear a crucifix necklace made out of condoms.

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 19:33:00 UTC | #438557

alexo's Avatar Comment 24 by alexo

Perhaps Londoners can echo the street cries (but not the acts - please!) of their forebears during the Gordon Riots - NO POPERY!

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 20:02:00 UTC | #438561

Ivan The Not So Bad's Avatar Comment 25 by Ivan The Not So Bad

Peter Tatchell, truly, a hero of our time.

For those unfamiliar with his astonishing contribution to human rights:

With Peter on the case, the visit could be fun.

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 20:23:00 UTC | #438565

the great teapot's Avatar Comment 26 by the great teapot

Ivan the not so terrible.

Would that be the Peter Tatchell who started the out campaign. The guy who wanted to expose people as gay against their wishes. He to me is little better than the gutter press. Exposing people for his own self interest.

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 20:50:00 UTC | #438574

bladesman's Avatar Comment 27 by bladesman

Signed, gladly. But having done so, both for this one and quite a few others, I have to ask...have any of these petitions to Number Ten ever actually had any effect? As I recall, a waffling e-mail reply about how concerns have been noted, but no actual action will be taken, is the standard effect.

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 21:15:00 UTC | #438582

Estragon's Avatar Comment 28 by Estragon

The Pope's visit was announced months ago, why is it only now that these protests are being made?

alexo the Gordon Riots an "No Popery" etc concern old-fashioned protestant anti-catholic prejudice. Which I don't think anyone wants to associate themselves with. It is different from rationally disagreeing with the Pope's teachings.

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 23:17:00 UTC | #438601

mjwemdee's Avatar Comment 29 by mjwemdee

Signed. Ratty is not welcome here.

Fri, 05 Feb 2010 02:29:00 UTC | #438648

ANTIcarrot's Avatar Comment 30 by ANTIcarrot

Signed, for all the good it would do.

Didn't we have laws in this country for dealing with people who promote hatred? I could have sworn parliment passed such legislation a few years ago; at no small cost to our civil liberties as I recall.

Fri, 05 Feb 2010 03:26:00 UTC | #438658