← Scientologists in Haiti: A Firsthand Account

Scientologists in Haiti: A Firsthand Account - Comments

zane9's Avatar Comment 1 by zane9

No toilet paper, proper shoes, soap, food? Oh dear. Don't they have a god to pray to? L. Ron someone-or-other? Surely he will send something.

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 20:10:00 UTC | #438563

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 2 by mordacious1

Excuse me. FUCKTARDS! Sorry, had to get that off my chest. Thank you.

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 20:25:00 UTC | #438567

kaiserkriss's Avatar Comment 3 by kaiserkriss

Mordy.. You beat me to it- That was exactly my reaction as well. jcw

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 20:29:00 UTC | #438568

Eventhorizon's Avatar Comment 4 by Eventhorizon

Religions are so modest about the charity work they do. Why, they hardly ever mention it!

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 20:45:00 UTC | #438573

Cents's Avatar Comment 5 by Cents

Makes you want to scream. In any event the do not belong to the species homo sapiens. They belong to the species alien pre-neanderthal. After all didn't they fly in with Xenu a long time ago?

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 20:58:00 UTC | #438575

Eventhorizon's Avatar Comment 6 by Eventhorizon

Cents

Yes they flew in with Xenu a long time ago, yes their souls are billions of years old and have lived on numerous planets in the universe, yes they are famous for fleecing their adherents of millions of dollars and aggressively prosecuting anyone who critisizes them and yes their founder was a second rate sci-fi writer but what about all the chairty work they do?

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 21:06:00 UTC | #438577

Chrysippus_Maximus's Avatar Comment 7 by Chrysippus_Maximus

Reminds me of that episode of The Simpsons where Ned Flanders' house was destroyed in the hurricane and the townsfolk "rebuilt" it, badly, causing ol' steady Neddy to flip out: "My family can't live in good intentions!!!" (or something along those lines..)

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 21:06:00 UTC | #438578

prettygoodformonkeys's Avatar Comment 8 by prettygoodformonkeys

buy whatever I need at Port-au-Prince airport
For all your disaster supplies, please come and shop at the Port-au-Prince Airport! You can't miss us: we're right in the center of the disaster area! And don't forget: Tuesday's coupon day! You can eat them! You can wipe with them! Clean up spills! Draw maps to the Mother Ship!
nowhere to put up the big yellow tent they'd brought for touch healing people in
I had it wrong: they're rubble-rousers.
they didn't want to be treated by the people in the yellow shirts
"What? Was it the touch-healing? 'Cause I waved my hands over you to make you better, but I didn't touch you, so I didn't hurt you. Jeeze. You Haitians really have to learn to let go."

(EDIT: sorry; I've been watching all 6 seasons of 'House M.D.' for the last 3 weeks, since my mother passed away. It's turned me into an asshole, I'm afraid. *sigh*)

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 21:37:00 UTC | #438584

Mitch Kahle's Avatar Comment 9 by Mitch Kahle

Volunteer Minister?

That's like being a "volunteer panhandler"!

WTF do "ministers" supposedly do anyway, except hold their hand out for money? F-ing losers!

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 21:51:00 UTC | #438586

mitch_486's Avatar Comment 10 by mitch_486

Funny, there's a COS literally across the street from my office. There was a guy outside handing out flyers for a "stress-test". You can bet I told him to get right on out of my face as he, at the time, was worthy of being called a lying, self centered, brainwashed lunatic. Yeah, I got a few dirty looks, but hey, sometimes you can't help it.

Pissed off Atheist - 1

Scientolidiot - 0 (well, -1 for failing life overall)

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 21:58:00 UTC | #438587

Dr. Strangegod's Avatar Comment 11 by Dr. Strangegod

You know how easy it is to "loose" people in a disaster zone in a third world country, even if they're wearing yellow shirts? Maybe we need more than medics down there... Hey, the Marines! So, um, fellas? Wanna help those poor folks out?

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 22:02:00 UTC | #438588

Cents's Avatar Comment 12 by Cents

Eventhorizon,

Your not kidding about 2nd rate Sci-Fi writer. I was big into the Sci-Fi scene back in the 50's reading Clarke and Asimov and Heinlein etc. Saw his books but never appealed to me and so had no desire to read them.
But as one of my friends said he was smart enough to know if you want to dodge paying taxes, start a religion.
We should all start our own religions. Then when we contribute to it we can get a tax deduction. If you need a couple of follower to be legit for tax purposes, I'm sure I can get my wife and kids to sign on. :)

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 22:02:00 UTC | #438589

RichardofYork's Avatar Comment 13 by RichardofYork

Disasters are Ideal publicity

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 22:16:00 UTC | #438592

LaurieB's Avatar Comment 14 by LaurieB

I hope the Scientologists picked up a nice souvenir. Something like Montezuma's revenge comes to mind....

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 23:01:00 UTC | #438597

Eventhorizon's Avatar Comment 15 by Eventhorizon

Cents

Absolutely, its the the smart guys that start religions because, as we all know, there is a sucker born every minute

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 23:04:00 UTC | #438599

blaine's Avatar Comment 16 by blaine

I'm gonna quit spending my time here if the bar for integrity keeps lowering. Why are we resorting to anonymous third person reports? I know plenty of Christians who would maliciously post fabricated third person reports of NBGA-funded organizations exhibiting ineptitude or worse, and all of these reports would have the same value: 0.

At least the author doesn't make any claims any claims about reliability:

We've spoken to someone who traveled...
. Did Gawker run into this anonymous reporter at a bus stop, or perhaps outside a meeting of Attention-Seekers-Anonymous?

If there is so little evidence of Scientology mischief that this is what serves as evidence at richarddawkins.net, they can't be all that bad. (Don't waste your time arguing this last point-- it was rhetorical).

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 23:25:00 UTC | #438604

Rich Wilson's Avatar Comment 17 by Rich Wilson

My previous local Scientology 'church' had old dog eared posters in the windows bragging about how they had provided 'counseling' to the victims of 9/11. They were in place at least until 2008, maybe still there.

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 23:30:00 UTC | #438606

Daisy Skipper's Avatar Comment 18 by Daisy Skipper

16. Comment #458204 by blaine

I'm gonna quit spending my time here if the bar for integrity keeps lowering.

"Keeps lowering"? What other examples do you have of the declining integrity of this site?

Edit: Yes! My first block quote!

Fri, 05 Feb 2010 00:26:00 UTC | #438615

Alternative Carpark's Avatar Comment 19 by Alternative Carpark

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Scientologist and it's something you have to earn. And because a Scientologist does, he or she has the ability to create new and better realities, and improve conditions.

"Being a Scientologist you look at someone and you know absolutely that you can help them.so for me it really is KSW [Keeping Scientology Working] and it's just, like, it's something that I don't mince words with that, you know with anything. But that Policy [doctrine of founder, L.Ron Hubbard] with me has really gone, 'Boy'.

"There was a time I went through it, I said, you know what, when I read it, I just though 'Wooh' : this is it. This exactly it.

"Being a Scientologist, when you drive past an accident, it's not like anyone else, it's, you drive past, you know you have to do something about it. You know you are the only one who can really help. That's what drives me.

"I know that we have an opportunity and, er, to really help for the first time and effectively change people's lives, and I'm dedicated to that. I'm gonna, I'm absolutely, uncomprimisingly dedicated to that.

"Orgs [Scientology organisations, divided into complicated hierarchy of classes] are there to help, OK. But we, also as the public, we have a responsibility. It's not just the orgs. It's not just Dave Miscavige [church leader]. It's not just me. It's you. It's everybody out there. Re-reading KSW, and looking to see what needs to be done, saying Ok, am I going to do it, or am I not going to do it? Period. And am I going to look at that guy, or am I too afraid because I have my own ethics to put on someone else's ethics, because that is all it comes down to. I won't hesitate to putting ethics into someone else, because I put ethics ruthlessly in myself.

"And I think that I respect that in others, and, you know, I am there to help. We're here to help. My opinion is, look, you're either on board or you're not on board, OK? Which is it? If you're on board, you're on board, just like the rest of us. Period......"

Now I get it.

Fri, 05 Feb 2010 00:52:00 UTC | #438628

ferguson3808's Avatar Comment 20 by ferguson3808

Why would they bother with Haiti? I doubt the locals have enough money for auditing. How mad would you be if your country just got destroyed and people told you that ancient alien souls were really the cause of your unhappiness?

Fri, 05 Feb 2010 01:15:00 UTC | #438631

Jeff (HandyGeek) Handy's Avatar Comment 21 by Jeff (HandyGeek) Handy

Well, aren't they sweet and brainless. Not surprised, actually. They must have strong faith in xenu, because they don't have much else.

Fri, 05 Feb 2010 02:38:00 UTC | #438650

Chipshotz's Avatar Comment 22 by Chipshotz

In Haiti they're more interested in recruiting labor force.

Fri, 05 Feb 2010 03:28:00 UTC | #438659

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 23 by Jos Gibbons

Comment #458204 by blaine

I notice that the original article also accepts comments. I've not read them, so I don't know whether anything of yours, or any similar points by others, are there already, or what form of censorship, if any, they enact. However, if you doubt the reliability of a source that won't admit its identity, perhaps you ought to mention it on the article.

Articles posted here on richarddawkins.net from other previous locations are not required to meet any standards of evidence or logic at all. If they were, how many from the pro-religious side would we see? The point is to give us an opportunity to look at the case for something, and then agree or disagree as we will and for what reasons we will. Indeed, often we get into very heated debates. By all means make the "this anonymous person could be making it up" point, but don't act like this site is losing its way because its republishing of material doesn't meet standards you'd only expect if it made claims to constitute a form of peer review. (Or maybe it does have one form of peer review ... in the comments that follow it.)

Fri, 05 Feb 2010 07:48:00 UTC | #438688

sbooder's Avatar Comment 24 by sbooder

The article and the video are conflicting in what you are to believe. As much as I think that Scientology is a pile of shit, I do not care who you are, if you are in a makeshift hospital helping surgeons, you get my vote for this one occasion.

I must admit though, the girl in the video administering the touch therapy to the little girl, was obviously tickling her, no amazing therapy, just a natural reaction to touch.

Fri, 05 Feb 2010 07:58:00 UTC | #438690

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 25 by Stafford Gordon

Do gooders, doing no good what so ever; I bet it makes them feel good though.

Fri, 05 Feb 2010 08:51:00 UTC | #438707

TrickyDicky's Avatar Comment 26 by TrickyDicky

I just hope they are carrying lots of cash.

I hear the crooks in Haiti are having a lean time since the quake ;<)

Fri, 05 Feb 2010 10:11:00 UTC | #438728

justinesaracen's Avatar Comment 27 by justinesaracen

It seems to me that Scientologists are just the cartoon version of the myth-peddling that lies at the heart of all missionary work. To be sure, the more established churches usually combine their voodoo with some actual beneficial activity (hospitals, orphanages, etc.), but the enterprise is essentially the same: Minister or appear to be ministering to the needy while proselytizing.
Insofar as the Scientologists are so blatantly NOT helping anyone, they shed additional light on the questionable motives of religious missions in general.

Fri, 05 Feb 2010 10:22:00 UTC | #438730

AfraidToDie's Avatar Comment 28 by AfraidToDie

My first reaction to the Today show clip is that they appear to have a net positive effect. They claim to not being there to spread their beliefs. As one scientologist said, they doubted cleaning toilets was convertng anyone to Scientology. As long as they don't try to spread their irrational beliefs, I'd have to extend a "thank you" for anyone lending a helping hand. The touching of the child was certainly weird, but it looked like it was done in a manner to make them laugh. Again, as long as it is sold as "laughter is good for the soul", I'm fine with that as well. I hope they were told that trying to spread their beliefs in any way would get them thrown out of the country, however.

Fri, 05 Feb 2010 10:33:00 UTC | #438734

Puppy Burner's Avatar Comment 29 by Puppy Burner

You know it takes skill to be completely oblivious to the events that you are trying to rectify. I just don't see how they could possibly not have realized that there was no food and water, I mean REALLY?

Sat, 06 Feb 2010 02:19:00 UTC | #439061

Wadsworth's Avatar Comment 30 by Wadsworth

"The Scientology website is boasting of the great work they are doing in Haiti, ha!
"

What they need is manners from Heaven.

Sat, 06 Feb 2010 15:59:00 UTC | #439165