← Houston, we are go for live streaming from space

Houston, we are go for live streaming from space - Comments

Nibla's Avatar Comment 1 by Nibla

Here's a direct link to the stream. It won't work in your browser; you have to copy-and-paste the link into a media-player. VLC, Kaffeine, Xine and Windows Media Player should all work.

mms://a1709.l1856953708.c18569.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/1709/18569/v0001/reflector:53708

Sat, 06 Feb 2010 01:50:00 UTC | #439056

Imroy's Avatar Comment 2 by Imroy

NASA TV requires Windows Media, Real Player or Quicktime plug-ins to play in your preferred player.

And once again us Linux users are forgotten. Thanks.

By looking through the page source I managed to get the Real stream to play a bit with Mplayer but it was out of sync and started to break up.

*sigh* Why have standards when what really matters is which plugins people have installed in their web browser?

Sat, 06 Feb 2010 02:03:00 UTC | #439058

j.mills's Avatar Comment 3 by j.mills

I'm on Ubuntu 9.10 and Nibla's link plays fine in VLC ("Open Network Stream"). Kinda awesome really.

Sat, 06 Feb 2010 02:13:00 UTC | #439059

sheaponline's Avatar Comment 4 by sheaponline

Thanks for that. Working well on my linux/VLC too.
Great pictues.

Sat, 06 Feb 2010 02:31:00 UTC | #439064

weavehole's Avatar Comment 5 by weavehole

Will somebody turn the Sun down, please.
It's a bit bright.

Very cool.

Sat, 06 Feb 2010 03:00:00 UTC | #439068

Cook@Tahiti's Avatar Comment 6 by Cook@Tahiti

We live in the future? Because we have fuzzy web-cam from low earth orbit?

In the past, we drove buggies on the moon, sent deep space probes to the outer planets, and could fly across the Atlantic in supersonic passenger jets.

It's 2010 and our space program is going backwards. And soon Americans will be hitching rides into space on a 1960s vintage Soyuz.

Sat, 06 Feb 2010 03:12:00 UTC | #439071

weavehole's Avatar Comment 7 by weavehole

Comment #458689 by Valden

Aww now it's all dark. :(

Definitely aliens!

Sat, 06 Feb 2010 03:26:00 UTC | #439074

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 8 by Jos Gibbons

Sat, 06 Feb 2010 08:14:00 UTC | #439092

MattHunX's Avatar Comment 9 by MattHunX

As cool as this is...

Comment #458688 by Rtambree on February 6, 2010 at 3:12 am
avatarWe live in the future? Because we have fuzzy web-cam from low earth orbit?

My thoughts exactly. As impressive as the ISS is, they aren't doing much up there (experiments and whatever) that will propel us into the future.

Also here's something interesting:

I got these links from the Mass Effect:Wiki page. I'm writing my thesis on three sci-fi novels and the first ME novel, Mass Effect Revelation is one of them.

It's really amazing that they could come up with these concepts in the 70's. And I can't really see NASA building living environments like that this century or the next. Funding doesn't go where it should and I can't believe the President isn't including the Constellation program in the Federal Budget. The hell!?

Sat, 06 Feb 2010 10:17:00 UTC | #439111

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 10 by rod-the-farmer

I'm glad some people get to see something. Right now the camera seems to be pointed at a featureless black cloth. So far I have had five minutes of it, complete with a scrolling sub-title telling me what this is.

Colour me impressed.

EDIT to add....Finally. You have to go to some of the NASA sites to see WHERE the ISS is located at that minute, and depending on the position of the sun, you may indeed see just blackness.

Sat, 06 Feb 2010 11:02:00 UTC | #439116

the4thNeutralNuclide's Avatar Comment 11 by the4thNeutralNuclide

RTambree,

We live in the future? Because we have fuzzy web-cam from low earth orbit?

Thanks for that. I was feeling a bit down but that really raised a belly laugh!

Tom

Sat, 06 Feb 2010 12:31:00 UTC | #439127

bluebird's Avatar Comment 12 by bluebird

Update for STS-130:

The coin for the Super Bowl "coin toss" was on a previous shuttle mission...
"Well, if it's been in outer space!" ;)

(edited)

Sat, 06 Feb 2010 12:51:00 UTC | #439131

beelzebub's Avatar Comment 13 by beelzebub

What??? Is that it?
We had live colour TV from the Moon in the early '70s - full screen at that! Not this postage-stamp sized nonsense!
"We live in the future" my arse!

Sat, 06 Feb 2010 16:08:00 UTC | #439168

j.mills's Avatar Comment 14 by j.mills

Psst! beelzebub! Button at bottom right of picture permits full-screen view. You want us to explore the universe and you haven't even explored the video controls? :)

Sat, 06 Feb 2010 17:53:00 UTC | #439194

Carl Sai Baba's Avatar Comment 15 by Carl Sai Baba

I'm waiting for the first LOLcats from space. THEN I will be impressed by technology.

Sat, 06 Feb 2010 20:21:00 UTC | #439242

beelzebub's Avatar Comment 16 by beelzebub

j.mills,
The image I get (@100%) is only some 320x240 pixels (UK PAL TV, in the 60's, had 576i lines, so more than twice the resolution of this 'futuristic' breakthrough!).
Enlarging to full-screen doesn't increase the quality.
Sorry, for the 21st Century, I'm still not impressed...

Sun, 07 Feb 2010 00:38:00 UTC | #439342

Stevezar's Avatar Comment 17 by Stevezar

From Jos Gibbons:

"Well, they're showing video again ... it's not even got sound? Look, I'm not asking for HD or 3D or surround sound or anything fancy, but sound and colour are kind of big deals for me. All the same, this is cool ... sort of, and it'll only get better ... maybe. "

Thats humor, right?

Or, were you expecting the tune of "Also Sprach Zaruthustra"?

Sun, 07 Feb 2010 03:42:00 UTC | #439392

j.mills's Avatar Comment 18 by j.mills

beelzebub said:

Enlarging to full-screen doesn't increase the quality.
Sorry, for the 21st Century, I'm still not impressed...
There's no pleasing some people. I expect you're still complaining because they renamed Opal Fruits too... :)

Sun, 07 Feb 2010 04:04:00 UTC | #439395

weavehole's Avatar Comment 19 by weavehole

Is anyone watching it right now?

There are a load of different colours appearing and disappearing on the screen. Blues, reds, greens and whites popping up randomly all over the dark background.

What are they?

Images of lightning from above?

Mini-meteors reflecting the light of ISS?

A fleet of G'Gugvuntts and Vl'hurgs hurtling to attack us?

Or some crappy glitch?

Sun, 07 Feb 2010 05:24:00 UTC | #439401

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 20 by Jos Gibbons

Comment #459053 by Stevezar

Hearing the astronauts talk or whatever other sounds are going on there would do.

Sun, 07 Feb 2010 08:16:00 UTC | #439408

beelzebub's Avatar Comment 21 by beelzebub

j.mills
"I expect you're still complaining because they renamed Opal Fruits too... :) "

What?? What?? The Bounders! The Cads! How could they do that?
I'm writing to 'er Maj right now, dammit!! :-)

Sun, 07 Feb 2010 10:51:00 UTC | #439418

bluebird's Avatar Comment 22 by bluebird

Before the (scrubbed) launch, Charles Bolden held a press conference. He's been (seemingly) under the radar since becoming NASA admin., so it was good to hear him address the current issues.

PopSci had an interesting article per the private sector's involvement with space stuff:

I personally want a 'Lost in Space' type ship :D

Sun, 07 Feb 2010 11:31:00 UTC | #439421

Cook@Tahiti's Avatar Comment 23 by Cook@Tahiti

bluebird
>I personally want a 'Lost in Space' type ship :D

Give me the Liberator from Blakes 7.

Mon, 08 Feb 2010 04:33:00 UTC | #439592

Luke_B's Avatar Comment 24 by Luke_B

Hahahaha!!!

Marathon's? Jif?? Don't get me started!!

Mon, 08 Feb 2010 15:28:00 UTC | #439713

friedapinto's Avatar Comment 25 by friedapinto

Its a great news of live streaming from space. I have also seen some videos clips of that over internet. Most of the users prefer those websites that offers online streaming with news,entertainment,sports and music videos etc. Channel chooser tv is one of them. It provides channel streaming with offering a wide range of TV channels with better clarity and easy accessment.

Thu, 10 Jun 2010 05:14:25 UTC | #478698