By J CHRISTIE - PLEDGEBANK.COM
Added: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 00:00:00 UTC
I pledge to donate one pound to the International Red Cross for each
of the 26 Anglican bishops sitting in the House of Lords who completes
the Sober Survey - but only if 999 others do the same.
If 999 others make the same pledge and all the bishops agree to
participate by completing the Sober Survey - a survey of beliefs,
ethics and reason - we will raise 26,000 pounds for the International
Red Cross (each pledger donating 26 pounds).
The House of Lords permanently reserves 26 seats for bishops of the
established Church of England. It is surely important that the public
know what the bishops believe, since they enjoy a privileged position
from which to have their voices heard. Moreover, Dr. Rowan Williams
(the Archbishop of Canterbury), has said that he believes political
leaders should talk more openly about their beliefs . What better
example could he set than to participate himself, and encourage his 25
colleagues to do the same.
This pledge is hosted at PledgeBank, with a sister site offering
further information at www.lordinthelords.org. The Sober Survey lives
at www.sobersurvey.org. Its 10 questions are:
1. Do chimpanzees and humans share a common ancestor?
2. Did the earth exist 100,000 years ago?
3. Is a long and happy life available to those without religious faith?
4. Are prayers responded to?
5. How do you explain the diversity of life on earth?
6. Can one be moral/ethical without a belief in God?
7. Do you support blood donation and transfusion?
8. Who made man? Who made God?
9. What will happen to you after your death?
10. Does a supernatural intelligence take an interest in your daily activities?
Continue reading and respond to pledge
Sarah Kliff - The Washington Post Comments
Rep. Todd Akin is wrong about rape and pregnancy, but he’s not alone
Peter Singer - The Scotsman Comments
Analysis: Why it’s irrational to risk women’s lives for the sake of the unborn
Cory Doctorow - BoingBoing Comments
Pussy Riot member Yekaterina Samutsevich has given a tremendous closing statement, which is a masterful summary of Russian oligarchy
Katherine Stewart - The Guardian Comments
How Obama's healthcare reform boosted abstinence-only sex education
Lawrence Martin - The Globe and Mail Comments
The evangelical movement is not a typical religion when it comes to politics