← My Daily Read: PZ Myers

My Daily Read: PZ Myers - Comments

Charisma's Avatar Comment 1 by Charisma

Sat, 28 Aug 2010 01:12:25 UTC | #506806

dreamer-71's Avatar Comment 2 by dreamer-71

I could read a book a day...if that was the only thing I did. How PZ Myers manages to do that with his academic duties and spitting out several well-researched blog entries a day is beyond me. He must be pretty adept at speed-reading.

For the most part, PZ writes some great stuff. He himself is not immune to occasional bouts of ideological thinking though, particularly on economic issues (which to his credit he doesn't touch on too often), or any mention of the word libertarian.

And while ridicule certainly has its place in the criticism of the irrational, I thought his recent criticism of Ray Kurzweil was so full of ad hominems that it backfired, making PZ look like a pedantic 3rd-grader. He made some good points on the science, but when the other side also answers with science, that's your cue to keep it professional. Scientists disagree all the time without resorting to infantile name-calling. He should save the ridicule for those truly deserving of it, like the Pope.

Sat, 28 Aug 2010 01:44:14 UTC | #506815

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 3 by Neodarwinian

I read " the Price of Altruism " too, but in much more than one day!! An excellent biography of George Price ( with mention of many others; including W.D. Hamilton and John Maynard Smith )and the Price equation appendix at the end of the book.

Sat, 28 Aug 2010 03:32:13 UTC | #506845

1Derek's Avatar Comment 4 by 1Derek

"The one reservation I have there is that the digital rights management on these e-books is worrisome—I keep books forever, and the thought that I could 'buy' an ebook and have my ownership rescinded a mere few years down the road is a major concern."

I read mostly via PDF and the occasional eBook and I'm also suspicious / concerned about the future of "digital rights management".

Sat, 28 Aug 2010 09:46:33 UTC | #506912

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 5 by Steve Zara

Comment 2 by dreamer-71

Yeah, that was far from PZ's finest hour. Equating Kurzweil with Deepak Chopra was way over the line. PZ's online tone seems odd, as when I have seen him talk, he doesn't seem like that at all.

But it's great news about his recent health scare being not so scary, and his post about that reveals something - he is a great writer. I really enjoy his posts on biology. I think he could write a great book on that subject, and it would be equivalent to a Peter Atkins book on chemistry I used at college - not just a fine text book, but also a must-read because of the writing.

Sat, 28 Aug 2010 10:32:23 UTC | #506928

MumboJumbo's Avatar Comment 6 by MumboJumbo

PZ says:

I mostly prefer reading printed books, but that's beginning to change—I've been enamored of the Kindle for a while, which has been great for traveling, but I recently got an iPad which is even more readable and much more versatile.

I wonder why he says the iPad is more readable. Do other people find that too?

Updated: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 13:14:17 UTC | #506998

Anaximander's Avatar Comment 7 by Anaximander

Charisma: A book a day?! Am I the only one that can't read that fast? I'm jealous, I wish I could do that.

Well, we should write a new book every day.

Sat, 28 Aug 2010 16:50:21 UTC | #507092

lackofgravitas's Avatar Comment 8 by lackofgravitas

A book a day. Not so hard. I'm assuming that he had to learn to speed read just to get through Med School, I think many do. I'd recommend Tony Buzan's book on this : http://tinyurl.com/37pbb2r

I find PZ to be generally on the ball, haven't read the Kurzweil bit yet, I'll have a look. But I can see how many folks would get confused by Ray's certainties and motivations.

Mon, 30 Aug 2010 00:20:07 UTC | #507680

Dr. Strangegod's Avatar Comment 9 by Dr. Strangegod

Equating Kurzweil with Deepak Chopra was way over the line.

I don't read PZ's blog rants, but Kurzweil is definitely worth making fun of. Maybe equating him with Chopra goes a bit too far, but they are both pretty intelligent dudes with extreme loony tendencies, so...

Mon, 30 Aug 2010 15:44:33 UTC | #508009

Labyrinthos's Avatar Comment 10 by Labyrinthos

I'm always amazed at the sheer amount of knowledge certain authors have and have wondered when they had the time to accumulate so much and still go about their daily unavoidable routines. But a book every two days, 6 journals and 4 blogs regularly, his own blog where he is very productive.. AND do work for academic duties AND research AND family AND have time to go to the toilet?

All I have are a job and a girlfriend and I feel like I need to tie my shoelaces and brush my teeth at the same time just to save a minute in the morning.. this site and another one are my only "regulars" with 2 or 3 infrequently visited others.. and I barely find the time to read 5-10 pages of a book a day. No other studies, no children, regularly miss friends' gatherings. Are days 60 hours each in other places or what am I doing wrong?

I thought speed reading was bogus, is that true or did I speed read some article and mangled the meaning?

Mon, 06 Sep 2010 18:35:06 UTC | #512524