← Caring for Pets Left Behind by the Rapture

Caring for Pets Left Behind by the Rapture - Comments

TrickyDicky's Avatar Comment 1 by TrickyDicky

In Britain the pets could always go to the Holiday Home for Pets Pie Company.

Mon, 15 Feb 2010 14:48:00 UTC | #441517

justinesaracen's Avatar Comment 2 by justinesaracen

I think it's a fabulous idea. But, given the idiocy of the Tribulationists (and their downright vicious view of the rest of us) I think Centre should charge much more money. Only 110 bucks for ten years of insurance? Do you think any existing life insurance company would accept such punk change? He should charge a hundred bucks a year, for Darwin's sake, especially since the money apparently goes to good causes.
(Hmm. I wonder if there are any Endtimes idiots here in Belgium)

Mon, 15 Feb 2010 14:56:00 UTC | #441520

Crazycharlie's Avatar Comment 3 by Crazycharlie

Oh wait...

We have ethics. Damn.

Mon, 15 Feb 2010 15:03:00 UTC | #441521

beanson's Avatar Comment 4 by beanson

jesus christ- why argue at all with these retarded fuckwits

Mon, 15 Feb 2010 15:12:00 UTC | #441526

Mette's Avatar Comment 5 by Mette

You have got to admit that this is one smart way to earn yourself some pretty easy cash!

Mon, 15 Feb 2010 15:26:00 UTC | #441532

Balance88's Avatar Comment 6 by Balance88

I swear to GOD I had this same exact idea while making jokes with a friend about how stupid and gullible some American believers are and in which absurd ways you could rip them off! :D

He said that the pet-idea would never fly but I guess I showed him. Gotta send him this link right away...

Mon, 15 Feb 2010 16:02:00 UTC | #441550

R. A. B.'s Avatar Comment 7 by R. A. B.

From the article:

"If we thought the Rapture was really going to happen," Centre says, "obviously our rate structure would be much higher."

I love that part.

I would feel bad about taking advantage of people, but it seems that at least some of the religous people don't trust them anyway, so it's just amusing. I think it's great that they're giving some of the money they get to charity.

-R. A. B.

Mon, 15 Feb 2010 16:17:00 UTC | #441557

Paul42's Avatar Comment 8 by Paul42

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

If you can persuade people to believe in jebus, the old testament, the koran etc.

They'll believe anything...

3. Comment #461234 by Crazycharlie
"All the regulars here at RDnet. could offer their services for this. Like televangelists, we could rake in the money from the credulous. A couple hundred dollars per pet and then give all the money to Richard's foundation.

Oh wait...

We have ethics. Damn. "

So true, maybe only believers can really fleece other believers...

I remember seeing a device aimed at jews once that the inventor was very proud of. It was a switch that worked in reverse so that jews could operate it without breaking the sabbath laws...

And they question OUR morality...

Love.

Mon, 15 Feb 2010 16:27:00 UTC | #441558

Nunbeliever's Avatar Comment 9 by Nunbeliever

Damn! Why did I not think of this! $$$$ ;-)

Mon, 15 Feb 2010 16:32:00 UTC | #441560

Colwyn Abernathy's Avatar Comment 10 by Colwyn Abernathy

Can't...resist...obvious...reference...

Fuck it:

Would you kindly look after my pet after I'm nothing but a pile of clothing? KTHXBI

Mon, 15 Feb 2010 17:21:00 UTC | #441573

godlezz's Avatar Comment 11 by godlezz

The gullibility of some human beings disgust me... SERIOUSLY???

Mon, 15 Feb 2010 17:31:00 UTC | #441574

prettygoodformonkeys's Avatar Comment 12 by prettygoodformonkeys

Only 110 bucks for ten years of insurance?
Perhaps a clause that stipulates access to their ATM or Visa PIN#'s after the rapture as well. That makes it fiscally reasonable from a fundy POV. And makes the bilking feel better.

Mon, 15 Feb 2010 17:45:00 UTC | #441579

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 13 by Jos Gibbons

I'm pretty sure this service or a similar one has been going for some time. I didn't check the article's date; maybe it is new, but the subject is not. As to the ethics of this - all insurance companies hope that they won't have to pay up too often and, indeed, also believe they won't (they believe they'll make a profit, and have good reasons to, as they've done their maths homework), so they all take money from people, believing that in general they won't have to pay up for it.

Admittedly, insurance companies have to pay a minority, rather than having to give a service to either all or none as in this case. Perhaps a better analogy is a bookie, although s/he may still have to surrender money to 1 of 2 parties who bet differently on, say, a boxing match. In any case, I think neither is unethical, nor is this. But just to sweeten the deal, Centre gives much of the money - indeed, $2,400 annually - to laudable charities. (It's somewhat the opposite effect to many a religious "charity" donation.)

Notice how, even when we're "conning" the religious (it's not our fault if we're right, is it?), it's still morally OK ... ish. At any rate, this is nothing compared to televangelists, let alone ayatollahs.

Mon, 15 Feb 2010 17:46:00 UTC | #441580

Daisy Skipper's Avatar Comment 14 by Daisy Skipper

10. Comment #461286 by Colwyn Abernathy

That's the only Rapture I'm interested in....

Mon, 15 Feb 2010 18:03:00 UTC | #441589

Colwyn Abernathy's Avatar Comment 15 by Colwyn Abernathy

debridement...

You been back yet? I hear it's been taken over by an Altruist psychologist who's just as nutty as Ryan.

"For where on this earth is there a place for men like me?"

EDIT:

Jos,

Ah, I see. So it's a bit like a wager, is it, this In Shorey Ants?

Mon, 15 Feb 2010 18:20:00 UTC | #441593

TrashcanMan79's Avatar Comment 16 by TrashcanMan79

"Many people in the U.S.—perhaps 20 million to 40 million—believe there will be a Second Coming in their lifetimes, followed by the Rapture."

Actually, the supposed Rapture is to precede the supposed Second Coming.

Mon, 15 Feb 2010 19:25:00 UTC | #441608

zengardener's Avatar Comment 17 by zengardener

I believe taking these people's money would be unethical.

It's cruel to take advantage of crazy people.

Mon, 15 Feb 2010 19:36:00 UTC | #441611

God fearing Atheist's Avatar Comment 18 by God fearing Atheist

It's totally unethical.

Damn, why didn't I think of it!

Mon, 15 Feb 2010 19:47:00 UTC | #441618

Michael P.'s Avatar Comment 19 by Michael P.

Genius; wish I'd thought of it.

Mon, 15 Feb 2010 19:49:00 UTC | #441621

bluebird's Avatar Comment 20 by bluebird

Wonder if adoptive homes provide feline reading material ;)

Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:16:00 UTC | #441628

TIKI AL's Avatar Comment 21 by TIKI AL

Are there any fundy right wing on-top-of-manures that don't believe in global warming selling coastal climate change flood insurance?

Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:22:00 UTC | #441630

Alyson Miers's Avatar Comment 22 by Alyson Miers

What I find so amusing about this venture is to think of all the True Believers who are convinced that atheists are evil, amoral, damned people--but they'll leave their pets with us, no problem.

I guess it's safe, though. The rule is supposed to be that we eat babies, not that we do anything vile to puppies or kittens. Just as long as the True Believers take their kids with them, I guess they've got nothing to worry about.

Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:58:00 UTC | #441636

Mr DArcy's Avatar Comment 23 by Mr DArcy

No. Read the article, you have to have no criminal record. But from the believers' point of view, dear Fido will get well walked and fed before he turns belly up. The atheist carers will be rewarded in the lake of fire, a la Jesus, Prince of Peace.

Mon, 15 Feb 2010 22:10:00 UTC | #441660

TheLordHumungus's Avatar Comment 24 by TheLordHumungus

This is a recent comment on the article itself:

I think this will be losing venture. I firmly believe that our pets will go with us. I do not believe God would leave these animals to fend for themselves.
HA HA HA HA HAHAHA HA HAHHA HA... HAAH HAAH HAAAAH HHHAAAAA!!

Mon, 15 Feb 2010 22:23:00 UTC | #441666

Antireason's Avatar Comment 25 by Antireason

Why not just set up a personal insurance policy - a bit like life insurance. Say £5000 for 20 year policy and if the Rapture comes and you're not taken we'll pay you a £million.

I'll bet that you'd be inundated with enquiries.

Mon, 15 Feb 2010 22:45:00 UTC | #441675

TheLordHumungus's Avatar Comment 26 by TheLordHumungus

Pets don't have souls, so they'll remain on Earth. I don't see how they can be taken with you
Appearantly this guy has a soul-o-meter that he was actually able to measure that our animals do not have souls. Since he is so FUCKING certain, he must have one of those, right? Seriously, what...an...arrogant...cunt.

Mon, 15 Feb 2010 22:46:00 UTC | #441676

sara g's Avatar Comment 27 by sara g

Um, aren't you supposed to be unfettered by earthly concerns to get raptured? If you're that worried about your pet, won't you miss the trumpet, or whatever?

Mon, 15 Feb 2010 22:48:00 UTC | #441677

Antireason's Avatar Comment 28 by Antireason

Like TV evangelists don't care about cold hard cash??

Mon, 15 Feb 2010 22:58:00 UTC | #441679

Kmita's Avatar Comment 29 by Kmita

nom nom nom, leave all your delicious pets with me...

I have a better idea. When the religious get spirited away, how about I take care of their billions of dollars worth of gold, which is currently doing pretty much nothing.

Mon, 15 Feb 2010 23:09:00 UTC | #441686

God fearing Atheist's Avatar Comment 30 by God fearing Atheist

Hey guys, you are getting this the wrong way around!

What do you want them to give you now, in return for something when they get raptured?

Mon, 15 Feb 2010 23:45:00 UTC | #441692