← Malaysia canes women for adultery

Malaysia canes women for adultery - Comments

gordon's Avatar Comment 1 by gordon

When I was eleven, we used to get the cane at school. Two strokes across each hand. Couldn't masturbate for two days each time. Now I realise what it was for.

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 14:55:00 UTC | #442357

Cook@Tahiti's Avatar Comment 2 by Cook@Tahiti

Four men were too, so that's alright then.

But if you start caning men, Tiger Woods wouldn't be able to hold his driver.

From wikipedia...

In the United States, [adultery] laws vary from state to state. In those states where adultery is still on the statute book (although rarely prosecuted), penalties vary from life sentence (Michigan)[39], to a fine of $10 (Maryland), to a Class I felony (Wisconsin) [40]. In the U.S. Military, adultery is a potential court-martial offense.[15] The enforceability of adultery laws in the United States has been / is being questioned following Supreme Court decisions since 1965 relating to privacy and sexual intimacy of consenting adults, in cases such as Lawrence v. Texas; however, occasional prosecutions occur.[41]

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 14:55:00 UTC | #442358

irate_atheist's Avatar Comment 3 by irate_atheist

Backward cretins.

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 15:11:00 UTC | #442362

Friend Giskard's Avatar Comment 4 by Friend Giskard

There are two problems here,

(1) Adultery is a punishable crime.
(2) Some criminals are caned.

I see (1) as the much greater problem. Caning in not that big a deal. Until relatively recently it was common in schools in the UK.

edit: Also, of course, there's the uneqaul treatment of men and women. I account this a BAD THING.

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 15:36:00 UTC | #442368

Noodly's Avatar Comment 5 by Noodly

I wonder what the punishment would have been if they'd been masochists?

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 15:43:00 UTC | #442369

ColdFusionLazarus's Avatar Comment 6 by ColdFusionLazarus

And it was only a couple of weeks ago that it was indicated to me what a lovely place Malaysia would be to live because the cliched barbaric image of Islam did not exist there.

I don't think I will decide to live there after all.

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 15:50:00 UTC | #442373

Christopher Davis's Avatar Comment 7 by Christopher Davis

"I hope this will not be misunderstood so much that it defiles the purity of Islam,"---from the article

That says it all.

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 16:53:00 UTC | #442394

Ygern's Avatar Comment 8 by Ygern

As horrific as this is, I fear our "enlightened" Western minds aren't as far removed from this sort of mentality as I would like to hope.

The BBC reported this only a few days ago:
and this was in Scotland of all places:

A study of schoolchildren has found that most of those questioned thought violence towards women was acceptable if there was a reason behind it.

The majority of the pupils said it was justified if the woman had an affair, or if she was late in making the tea.

Fortunately the law is not on the side of this sort of mindset, but these children are very likely to have been exposed to adults expressing similar ideas.

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 17:19:00 UTC | #442400

Mitch Kahle's Avatar Comment 9 by Mitch Kahle

Friend Giskard: "Caning in not that big a deal."

Are you nuts?

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 18:28:00 UTC | #442420

Village_Idiot's Avatar Comment 10 by Village_Idiot

"It was carried out perfectly," Hishamuddin said in a statement. "Even though the caning did not injure them [the women], they said it caused pain within them."

The sexually charged above quote (and the act) is essentially an evidence of Sharia law being an extension of a Muslim version of BDSM (bondage, discipline, sadism and masochism).

Every religion is obsessed with human sexuality, dieting habits and clothing style.

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 19:15:00 UTC | #442431

Cook@Tahiti's Avatar Comment 11 by Cook@Tahiti

10. Comment #462164 by Village_Idiot
>Every religion is obsessed with human sexuality

The Abrahamic ones were in particuler (desert tribes). However, the Hindu and pagan cults are more relaxed about it (check out the sexy Hindu sculptures in any large museum).

Likewise, when the English and French first visited Polynesia in the late 1760s, it was on for all, and the local men didn't seem to care that much.

I've read that desert cultures, having fewer resources, are more wary of cuckolding and so place a greater emphasis on female chastity.

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 19:29:00 UTC | #442435

righton's Avatar Comment 12 by righton

Anyone have a detailed description of the caning process? Where on the body are they caned? What are the injuries sustained from them?

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 19:36:00 UTC | #442436

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 13 by SaintStephen

And your point is... ?

I'm not sure a "How To Cane Women" instructional manual exists. Being proven wrong on this assertion would also be interesting, however.

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 19:56:00 UTC | #442440

Friend Giskard's Avatar Comment 14 by Friend Giskard

9. Comment #462152 by Mitch Kahle

Friend Giskard: "Caning in not that big a deal."

Are you nuts?
Are you soft?

Caning is not nice. Being thrown in prison is not nice. Punishments are not nice. They are not supposed to be nice.

If I had to choose between receiving a whacking and a jail term, I am not sure which I would choose. I would have to think hard about it, taking into consideration the length of the term, and the number and nature of the whacks.

It's just a pity when people get punished for non-crimes like adultery.

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 19:59:00 UTC | #442441

righton's Avatar Comment 15 by righton

13. Comment #462173 by SaintStephen on February 19, 2010 at 7:56 pm

I heard a few years ago that being caned is extremely painful and has resulted in deaths. I want to know exactly how vulgar this punishment is so I can meet it with equal ridicule and tell others what is happening due to sharia law.

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 20:13:00 UTC | #442446

root2squared's Avatar Comment 16 by root2squared

11. Comment #462168 by Rtambree on February 19, 2010 at 7:29 pm

According to wiki, it seems, Hinduism was quite liberal sexually, until the Islamic and Christian rulers came in. I remember in my early teens feeling a bit weird looking at the busts of big breasted Hindu godesses.

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 20:25:00 UTC | #442450

ivo's Avatar Comment 17 by ivo

I live in Singapore, which is right next to Malaysia but where muslims are only a minority. However, the caning of criminals (for crimes as petty as vandalism) is current practice.

I have heard horrific descriptions of this procedure. For instance: a doctor stands besides the condemned criminal, in order to stop the caning if the guy faints or has taken "too much", in which case he is left to heal before getting the rest of it. Also, a few strikes will cover your back with blood and leave scars...

This is just hearsay, I'll admit, and I don't know if Malay caning is similar to the Singaporean.

Anyway, nasty judiciaries in both countries (and internet censur, damn!)

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 20:36:00 UTC | #442452

righton's Avatar Comment 18 by righton

ivo,

I hope you don't get caned for posting that. ;0

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 20:39:00 UTC | #442454

chuckg's Avatar Comment 19 by chuckg

I do not think the "caning" of school boys can be remotely compared with the judicial caning in SE Asia. School caning would probably be done with a ruler or yardstick, or paddle, whereas the real canings in Malaysia and Singapore are with 5 or 6 foot long 1-1.5 inch diameter Rattan canes, something with which one could beat concrete cinder blocks apart. The strokes are from a very strong man with a full windup and with all his weight into it. As few as 5-10 strikes could produce enough tissue and muscle damage to cause kidney and liver failure and death. They definitely leave a mark.

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 21:52:00 UTC | #442472

righton's Avatar Comment 20 by righton

19. Comment #462206 by chuckgoecke on February 19, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Good times... A little more than a spanking I guess.

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 22:02:00 UTC | #442475

ramfalls's Avatar Comment 21 by ramfalls

Moderate alert!! Moderate alert!! Malaysia is a 'moderate' islamic regime. Nah. They're still medieval thugs.

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 23:43:00 UTC | #442498

mmurray's Avatar Comment 22 by mmurray

Perhaps that is because they didn't bury the women in the ground and throw stones at them until they died.

Some info from Amnesty here

Michael

Sat, 20 Feb 2010 00:45:00 UTC | #442510

Carl Sai Baba's Avatar Comment 23 by Carl Sai Baba

In other countries they might be beaten to death with rocks, so I guess now we know what Islamic progressivism looks like.

And they beat the men on top of it, so it's also Islamic women's lib.

Sat, 20 Feb 2010 01:46:00 UTC | #442515

LeeLeeOne's Avatar Comment 24 by LeeLeeOne

Caning first shocks the tissues (drives blood from the surface and leaves the strike marks white). With subsequent blows, caning tears the flesh from the area being struck. Deep tissue hemorrhage occurs. Then and only then when enough subcutaneous tissue and muscle is exposed is there blood drawn to the surface. Death, as noted above, usually happens slowly, from end-organ failure due to rhabdomyolysis, or infection.

Sat, 20 Feb 2010 01:53:00 UTC | #442517

Ubiquitous Che's Avatar Comment 25 by Ubiquitous Che

What was the quote about the policeman and the prostitute?

Something along the lines of:

The policeman that is the most eager to apply the whip to a prostitute betrays the deepest need to use her for the very services for which he claims to be punishing her.

The whole sordid thing is as revealing as it is reprehensible.

Sat, 20 Feb 2010 04:03:00 UTC | #442530

DanDare's Avatar Comment 26 by DanDare

I got the cane only once in school.

The reason for it? I was excused to go to the toilet. While I was out some kids pissed off the class and gave them lunchtime detention. On my return, no one informed me. After lunch the deputy principle pulled me up in class and caned my hand for not attending detention. I had piano lessons that evening and had to cancel them.

At that very point I became anti-authoritarian and began a crusade against the school administration, the interschool christian fellowship and the deputy principle who eventually was sacked (due to parent pressure) and years later jailed for buggering boys (who knew?).

Crime and punishment are two edged things. A government meeting out punishment for dubious laws is doomed to produce the seeds of its own destruction.

Sat, 20 Feb 2010 04:15:00 UTC | #442533

TexasRanger's Avatar Comment 27 by TexasRanger

I am surprised that Aljazeera news reports on such topics are not totally biased to supporting Islam and the many cruel acts that many Islamic states are adopting.

Good for them, I guess.

Sat, 20 Feb 2010 05:04:00 UTC | #442539

Ups's Avatar Comment 29 by Ups

I'm a Malaysian, though I am not a Muslim. Overall, Malaysia is really still a great place to live in(at least for now), except the extremely hot weather may be.

Due to some reasons, I'm not free to talk about my opinions on this issue. But I have watched a video on caning being carried out on men. The video is provided a government body, and is being showed to high school students attending a seminar. It is indeed very horrible. Forgive me for not elaborating on this. I can only tell you that my friends and I felt like puking after watching it. However, this is the case for the caning punishment being carried out on MALE. I know nothing about caning on female though.

Sat, 20 Feb 2010 13:11:00 UTC | #442585

PERSON's Avatar Comment 30 by PERSON

27. Comment #462273 by TexasRanger on February 20, 2010 at 5:04 am
I get the impression that the Al J (Al J English, at least) staff are actually quite liberal and progressive on the whole (according to the documentary "Control Room", about Arabic Al Jazeera, a lot of the staff are ex-BBC), but they don't want to upset their sponsors (e.g. some large Qatari businesses, which I think have strong links to the Qatari royal family) or alienate their viewers, so they moderate what they say. It wouldn't surprise me if they had some ideologically induced blind-spots or are swayed by certain popular but mistaken beliefs either. They're only human.

Sat, 20 Feb 2010 15:06:00 UTC | #442598