← Andreas Moritz is a cancer quack

Andreas Moritz is a cancer quack - Comments

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 1 by Ignorant Amos

This is why the libel laws are an arse!

Edit. In a proper world this nutter would be in jail.

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 17:07:00 UTC | #442397

Chrysippus_Maximus's Avatar Comment 2 by Chrysippus_Maximus

the fish zoologist

LIBEL!! PZ is not a fish!

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 17:10:00 UTC | #442399

crookedshoes's Avatar Comment 3 by crookedshoes

PZ is not a fish??? Damn, all this time I thought he was a damn smart walleye. I thought it was slander or libel only if it was a lie. How is it that this dope has the temerity to threaten??? Is the law on his side??? Would he win??? Would the lawsuit shed light on his practices???

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 17:20:00 UTC | #442401

Chrysippus_Maximus's Avatar Comment 4 by Chrysippus_Maximus

These nuts really think everyone is lying about them. How could they not? If they didn't believe that debunkings of their bullshit were wrong, they wouldn't continue to believe their garbage was true. But we all know the reason they continue to believe it is some combination of stupidity, ignorance, and whatever psychological conditions it takes to retain belief in things in the face of defeaters.

I can't imagine they could possibly win such a lawsuit. It's an empty threat.

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 17:23:00 UTC | #442404

keddaw's Avatar Comment 5 by keddaw

They don't need to win, simply bankrupt their opponent with a costly court case. Even the threat of that forces most people to withdraw their claim, true or not.

Sadly the truth is no defence anymore - especially not in England which is where these people come as we have terrible libel laws and hideously expensive libel suits.

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 17:41:00 UTC | #442407

prettygoodformonkeys's Avatar Comment 6 by prettygoodformonkeys

From his site:

Ener-Chi Ionized Stones are stones and crystals that have been energized, activated, and imbued with life force through a special process introduced by Andreas Moritz
What a coincidence! I just got my stones ionized last weekend!
Placing Ionized Stones next to a plant or flower pot may increase its health, vitality and beauty. Ionized Stones may be used to enhance the effects of Ener-Chi Art pictures. By placing a larger Ionized Stone in your house, above or below the fuse box, the harmful effects of electro-magentic (EM) radiation become nullified. Create any number of Ionized Stones simply by holding your 'seed stone' against any other stones or crystals for 40-60 seconds. Placing an Ionized Stone next to a glass of water for about half a minute ionizes the water. Placing an Ionized Stone next to your food for about half a minute ionizes and balances it. You can verify this by doing the muscle test.
WooHoo! Woo Who? Andreas Moritz, that's who!

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 18:33:00 UTC | #442422

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 7 by Stafford Gordon

A school friend of mine died from prostate cancer recently.

His self esteme was sky high and he thoroughly enjoyed life, but he'd had checks every six months for a long time, because of his dad's cause of death; prostate cancer.

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 18:44:00 UTC | #442425

Monkey Man's Avatar Comment 8 by Monkey Man

The saddest thing about this whole situation is that there are people on one side distrusting "official" medicine and getting taken by woo and people on the other side distrusting all that natural healing and lifestyle has to offer. Turd in the punch bowl.

Impartial science and free inquiry can help us move forward. There are seemingly as many pseudoskeptics as pseudoscientists.

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 20:06:00 UTC | #442445

hinterstella's Avatar Comment 9 by hinterstella

PZ Myers is a FISH? I knew something was up.

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 20:24:00 UTC | #442449

kaiserkriss's Avatar Comment 10 by kaiserkriss

Scary stuff from (Max) uh make that Andreas Moritz, worse than the mischief makers of Wilhelm Busch fame.
Sounds like pet rocks all over again, only this time with magical powers. This guy is dangerous and should be locked up for spreading his unproven and unsubstantiated methods.

The truth is, having to back up claims with repeatable EVIDENCE is probably not possible, and exposing his methods as untrustworthy, will hit him where it hurts most, namely in his Bank Account.

It's surprising in sue happy USA, where he now lives, no one has taken this guy to court. He is not even an accredited "medicine man" yet prescribes medicine to the public. Surely that must be against some law?? jcw

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 20:42:00 UTC | #442458

Rich Wilson's Avatar Comment 11 by Rich Wilson

@Monkey Brains
and then there are 'official' doctors who still push the woo.

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 21:27:00 UTC | #442467

critica's Avatar Comment 12 by critica

Hi Andreas Moritz, you are an ignorant jerk who preys on sick people to cater for your own tragic need for affirmation.

Please sue me.

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 22:53:00 UTC | #442486

Ramases's Avatar Comment 13 by Ramases

It is interesting to look at some of the wacky stuff on his site, including some of the books he has published with such titles as "Cancer is Not a Disease", "Diabetes No More" and "Heal Yourself with Sunlight".

The potential for harm to people who believe this rubbish is clear.

Even amongst them one book in particular stands out, and the claims it makes.

"Ending the AIDS Myth - It's Time To Heal The TRUE Causes!"

The blub makes the following incredible statements;

"Despite common belief, there is no scientific evidence to this day that AIDS is a contagious disease."

"There is increasing evidence that AIDS may be a toxicity syndrome or metabolic disorder that is caused by immunity risk factors."

Shit - telling people that aids is not contagious, and presumably they don't have to worry about catching it! Forget about responsible use of protection! All they have to do is mind their diet!

The stuff on his website is laughable, but unfortunately it is much more than that. This clearly has the potential to cost lives.

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 23:06:00 UTC | #442488

the archangel's Avatar Comment 14 by the archangel

I never like to say this but I hope he get's Cancer

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 23:28:00 UTC | #442494

gossy's Avatar Comment 15 by gossy

My favourite from his website....

"If you suffer any of the following symptoms, or similar conditions, you likely have numerous gallstones in your liver and gallbladder:

* Low appetite
* Urinary problems
* Hormonal imbalances
* Menstrual and menopausal disorders
* Problems with vision
* Nausea and vomiting
* A 'bilious' or angry personality
* Dull pain on the right side
* Difficulty breathing
* Clay-colored stool
* Prostate diseases
* Other sexual problems
* Digestive disorders
* Liver spots, especially those on the back of the hands and facial area
* Dizziness and fainting spells
* Loss of muscle tone
* Excessive weight or wasting
* Strong shoulder or back pain
* Pain at the top of a shoulder blade and/or between the shoulder blades
* Dark color under the eyes
* Morbid complexion
* Tongue that is glossy or coated in white or yellow
* Frozen shoulder
* Headaches and migraines
* Tooth and gum problems
* Yellowness of the eyes and skin
* Numbness and paralysis of legs
* Alzheimer's disease
* Cold extremities
* Excessive heat and perspiration in the upper part of the body
* Very greasy hair or hair loss
* Cuts or wounds that keep bleeding and don't heal
* Difficulty sleeping, insomnia
* Stiffness of joints and muscles
* Hot and cold flushes"

I think that should just about cover every possible symptom it is possible for a human being to experience!!

Sat, 20 Feb 2010 00:26:00 UTC | #442505

jpgj's Avatar Comment 16 by jpgj

He seems to merely be repeating a lot rubbish some loonier psychoanalysts like Groeddeck and Wilhelm Reich were peddling from the 30s to the 50s when Dr. Reich was jailed for false advertisement amongst other things, with ionized stones instead of blue bions and orgone accumulators. Plus ça change...

Sat, 20 Feb 2010 00:42:00 UTC | #442508

DoctorMelkor's Avatar Comment 17 by DoctorMelkor

I think if you suffer from hot and cold flushes you've accidentally connected the toilet to the wrong water supply pipe...

That's my medical opinion.

Sat, 20 Feb 2010 00:59:00 UTC | #442512

Carl Sai Baba's Avatar Comment 18 by Carl Sai Baba

the archangel on February 19, 2010 at 11:28 pm
I never like to say this but I hope he get's Cancer

It's not such a long shot. 3 of these quacks croaked last year from their respective supposedly-cured diseases. I posted them once before, but I am too lazy to look them up again. I think Hulda Clark was one of them.

Sat, 20 Feb 2010 01:36:00 UTC | #442514

RedPen's Avatar Comment 19 by RedPen

Michael Hawkins here.

Moritz sent me an email.

Oh, I am actually very grateful to you for spreading the word and creating a free publicity campaign for me. A lot of people who would never have heard about me, may now wonder and start to investigate. Eventually, they may want to know for themselves what this is about and buy some books of mine. I couldn’t have asked for a more effective advertising campaign. In fact, my stat counter shows that I had a 563% increase in genuine visitors yesterday and as of this early morning it is already double the number. So if it continues out be a huge success I may send you a check. I don’t mind the dozen swear emails, when my business is booming, thanks to your awareness campaign. I never had such a spike of interest in my work. Thanks again, you turned out to be a great blessing. And please, keep it going.

Here is my response.

Are you 5 years old? You're seriously taking the "I wanted things like this!" tactic? That's about as effective as your cancer 'treatments' - entirely useless and nothing more than quacking charlatanry.

You are a fraud, nothing more. You prey on the weak and sick when they are at their most vulnerable. You take money out of the pockets of cancer patients, promote the spread of HIV, and are a serious threat to the health of anyone stupid enough to listen to you. How have you literally not been arrested? You appear to be practicing woo medicine without any sort of license (and certainly no qualifications, but that has long been established).

This isn't some sort of joke, Moritz. While I'm having an absolute blast watching you get blasted throughout the Interwebblings, I take no joy in knowing the real life harm you take pride in inflicting upon others. You need to stop taking advantage of the gullible. It's unethical, immoral, illegal, dangerous, and inhumane. What the hell is wrong with you?

Sat, 20 Feb 2010 02:11:00 UTC | #442521

SnowyDoc's Avatar Comment 20 by SnowyDoc

Maybe it's just my early onset Alzheimer's, but I was under the impression that for something to be proved as libel or defamation, it must be false?

While the ludicrous nature of the reversed burden of proof in the British libel system has been well covered here recently in light of Simon Singh's adventures, I had thought that in the USA (or certainly in certain states with specific laws regarding this) that the complainant carried the burden of proof?

If so, what does anyone (least of all Wordpress) have to fear from this ignorant and shameless charlatan?

Sat, 20 Feb 2010 02:36:00 UTC | #442523

Ramases's Avatar Comment 21 by Ramases

SnowyDoc,

I think the problem here may relate to the unfortunate Maine laws as to who can call themselves a doctor.

As PZ Myers points out in his blog, Maine laws make it legal for New Age quacks to register as doctors and call themselves such.

The original blog that was taken down said that Chris Maloney was not a real doctor. This is of course true, at least in any reasonable sense of the term. However, due to Maine laws it is likely that legal action taken against the blog for saying he is not a doctor might succeed.

While WordPress certainly share the blame, I think the real blame lies in these quack Maine laws.

Sat, 20 Feb 2010 04:27:00 UTC | #442534

weavehole's Avatar Comment 22 by weavehole

After having seen thousands of cancer patients over a period of three decades, I began to recognize a certain pattern of thinking, believing and feeling that was common to most of them. To be more specific, I have yet to meet a cancer patient who does not feel burdened by some poor self-image, unresolved conflict and worries, or past emotional trauma that still lingers in his/her subconscious. Cancer, the physical disease, cannot occur unless there is a strong undercurrent of emotional uneasiness and deep-seated frustration.

This is one of the most offensive paragraphs I've ever read. I genuinely can't think of a term that describes the kind of person who would write this down and then try and make money from it. (The feminist in me won't use the C word).

What an absolute ____________!

Sat, 20 Feb 2010 04:46:00 UTC | #442536

critica's Avatar Comment 23 by critica

Well RedPen, I still think you're aiming over his head. Try dumbing it down even further for him.

Sat, 20 Feb 2010 06:05:00 UTC | #442545

Ramases's Avatar Comment 24 by Ramases

Well there is one thing we can all do to help.

Andreas Moritz was upset when Michael Hawkins' blog criticising him came up second place in Google, and that is when he persuaded WordPress to pull it.

We should all google the name Andreas Moritz and then click on all the blog entries critical of him, particularly the PZ Myers one. If we all do this the critical ones will go up the top to be the first to be seen when anyone googles him.

Sat, 20 Feb 2010 06:57:00 UTC | #442550

AshtonBlack's Avatar Comment 25 by AshtonBlack

This article is now VERY high on the google-ator.

It's working already Ramases. :)

Sat, 20 Feb 2010 09:48:00 UTC | #442561

Aquaria's Avatar Comment 26 by Aquaria

Agreed

This tard is allowed by Maine law to call himself a naturopathic doctor, and ND. This is where the problem lies--in Maine's use of the word, "doctor."

Chuck Baloney is all up in arms because he's a doctor is so too. while it's clear from the context of Hawkin's original blog post that he meant doctor to be "physician." Which a naturopath is not. I think on this score, Hawkins will ultimately triumph; any reasonable reading of the post indicates that he's comparing the quack to a physician.

Maine needs to change the law so that it lists these quacks as PRACTITIONERS, not "doctors." It's an insult to the thousands of legitimately educated Nurse Practitioners out there, but at least that terminology removes any hint of medical legitimacy from these frauds.

Sat, 20 Feb 2010 09:51:00 UTC | #442562

Mark Jones's Avatar Comment 27 by Mark Jones

Comment #462255 by RedPen

Well done for continuing to expose this charlatan, Michael.

For what it's worth, Moritz's email rather ruins any chance he has of winning damages (if that was ever serious) since he's sent you an email thanking you for helping him to generate business! It would also be curious for someone who had been damaged by you to suggest that he would send a cheque to you for what you've done. This quote from him is surely the perfect defence?

Sat, 20 Feb 2010 10:03:00 UTC | #442566

AshtonBlack's Avatar Comment 28 by AshtonBlack

@Mark Jones
I think the phrase is "Hoisted on his own petard." Nice find.

Sat, 20 Feb 2010 10:06:00 UTC | #442567

davem's Avatar Comment 29 by davem

From his book (via Google Books):
"Like so many kids at my age, I used to believe in such tales, but had no idea that one day, I would become a wizard myself... ...At the first quarter of 2002 I began to channel higher dimensional beings, known as 'The Elders'. These wonderful beings spoke through me using my vocal chords. in what appeared to be ancient tongue, including Sanskrit, Tibetan and Chinese. During some occasions, there would be up to 8 of these beautiful spirit beings speaking simultaneously through one voice. This unusual conglomeration of sounds usually occurred during the 'Golden Dome' meditation gatherings that we were holding..."

'nuff said.

Sat, 20 Feb 2010 12:06:00 UTC | #442574

submoron's Avatar Comment 30 by submoron

"Quack", what do you mean "Quack": Skunk's more like it or perhaps a cross.Cue "Skdunck"!

Sat, 20 Feb 2010 12:48:00 UTC | #442582