← Jehovah’s Witnesses Mad That Atheists Won’t Keep Their Views to Themselves

Jehovah’s Witnesses Mad That Atheists Won’t Keep Their Views to Themselves - Comments

Ardiem's Avatar Comment 1 by Ardiem

Some Jehovah's Witnesses came to my door once and started their very lengthy spiel. I wasn't in a hurry so I let them go on and on (and on). When they came to a pause to take breath, I just said 'Sorry, what?' and pointed to my hearing aids. I closed the door before they started again.

At least I have an excuse for not hearing other people's views, what's their excuse?

Updated: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 14:05:24 UTC | #513009

Dark Matter's Avatar Comment 2 by Dark Matter

"That’s right. The door-knockin’, rabidly proselytizing cult is rebuking atheists for not keeping their views to themselves"

Unfortunately, the irony will simply fly far above their heads.

A certain amount of self-awareness and intelligence is required to get irony and they don't have either.

Tue, 07 Sep 2010 14:07:00 UTC | #513014

bigJ's Avatar Comment 3 by bigJ

I just tell them that I'm not superstitious. That usually makes them pause to think - not that they have many abilities there.

Tue, 07 Sep 2010 14:07:21 UTC | #513017

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 4 by AtheistEgbert

Don't worry, I'm not only angry at JWs interrupting my privacy, but I'm also mad at telemarketers and door-to-door salesman, whom I hold in equal contempt. Also see Pat Condell's latest funny rant on youtube:

Tue, 07 Sep 2010 14:28:10 UTC | #513025

crookedshoes's Avatar Comment 5 by crookedshoes

These wonderful people came to the door of my girlfriend's house on SUPERBOWL SUNDAY!!! Her father told them to beat it. They had the nerve to knock again and he literally physically removed them from his property. He came back into the room angry and huffing and puffing. I inched away from his daughter a bit afraid of him but admiring him at the same time.

Tue, 07 Sep 2010 14:28:58 UTC | #513026

man with stick's Avatar Comment 6 by man with stick

They do a very unsuccessful Jehovah's Wittness Protection Program, but they can't keep quiet about it!

Tue, 07 Sep 2010 14:39:29 UTC | #513039

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 7 by Jos Gibbons

In an episode of The Chris Rock Show, a skit featuring Rock looking at what various religions could offer him spiritually (as he wanted to "find God before God finds me"). One funny bit was his calling at the JWs through their fence. "I know you're in there!" Methinks the author of this screed didn't see that show. Perhaps they don't have HBO. Or maybe they're nutters.

Tue, 07 Sep 2010 14:48:50 UTC | #513049

RW Millam's Avatar Comment 8 by RW Millam

It's so nice to see them worry about the rise of rational people.

Tue, 07 Sep 2010 14:54:56 UTC | #513056

Sensible's Avatar Comment 9 by Sensible

When they call at my door, I tell them I'm in a hurry as I have an appointment at the Red Cross to donate my pint of blood. You oughta see 'em scurry!

Tue, 07 Sep 2010 15:05:17 UTC | #513061

rookieatheist's Avatar Comment 10 by rookieatheist

Actually, I'm quite impressed by their "strange little magazine" as PZ Myers calls it. Of course, I can see lots of stuff wrong with its contents, but I'm not going to be too condescending as I'm sure they can see a lot of stuff in atheist literature which they believe to be wrong. Compared to some catholic magazines I've read, this is actually readable.

I don't know much about Jehovah's witnesses (JWs), apart from their world renowned excessive proselytizing. However, in this magazine one can see that they place a lot of emphasis on biblical text. In my experience, few catholics even read a single gospel from beginning to end, so JWs would at least seem not to be ignorant in this respect. Which begs the question of how they're still able to have "faith" after reading about the multiple atrocities inflicted by God in the bible.

Tue, 07 Sep 2010 15:27:46 UTC | #513073

intenso's Avatar Comment 11 by intenso

That is absolutely hilarious.

Tue, 07 Sep 2010 15:30:01 UTC | #513075

spmccullagh's Avatar Comment 12 by spmccullagh

Even as a Catholic I have issues with how JW's go about what they do.

When they come to my door I just tell them I'm a practising RC and that I'm not interested - they usually still want to have a debate with me.

What really gets me though is that they've had the cahoneys to knock on the door of my Parish House seemingly trying to convert my Priest to being a JW....

Tue, 07 Sep 2010 16:00:34 UTC | #513108

TheRationalizer's Avatar Comment 13 by TheRationalizer

hehe, that's brilliant :)

Tue, 07 Sep 2010 16:15:08 UTC | #513115

SomersetJohn's Avatar Comment 14 by SomersetJohn

Aren't the JW's the ones who reckon 144,000 of them will go to heaven and all the other JW's will stay in an earthly paradise after judgement?

I wonder how the doorknockers feel about not being guaranteed a trip to heaven.

Tue, 07 Sep 2010 16:19:25 UTC | #513118

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 15 by mordacious1

I don't think the JW's will be coming to my door anymore, but I would like to have a copy of this issue. I think that they used to drop them around town (also known as littering), so I'll have to see if I can scare a few copies up somewhere.

Tue, 07 Sep 2010 16:24:56 UTC | #513122

Pettywell's Avatar Comment 16 by Pettywell

Me I invite them in and hold them in discussion for hours. They tend not to come back after that

Tue, 07 Sep 2010 16:35:13 UTC | #513132

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 17 by Stafford Gordon

No one calls themself a "new" atheist, that's a label attached to atheists by the religious who are unaccustomed to having their beliefs challenged. Well, they had better get used to it.

S G

Tue, 07 Sep 2010 16:42:13 UTC | #513135

Mette's Avatar Comment 18 by Mette

HAH, having them come over on Superbowl Sunday is nothing. I had a visit from them on Christmas Eve (we celebrate it far more than Christmas day here in Norway). I was just utterly baffled, and the dog growled at them (the only time he has been angry at visitors as he is usually ecstatic).

The irony of that article is just hilarious.

Tue, 07 Sep 2010 16:51:54 UTC | #513148

Eyerish's Avatar Comment 19 by Eyerish

Just for a laugh some atheists should dress up looking as geeky as possible (just like the JWs) and with a copy of the 'God Delusion' under their arms knock on the door of a kingdom hall and ask them if they have heard the good news - that god is a myth and you are all free.

Tue, 07 Sep 2010 16:53:13 UTC | #513149

iveswrites's Avatar Comment 20 by iveswrites

If you had read a little further, you would have noticed that the Awake article was in fact quoting American journalist, Richard Bernstein.

It may seem like a small point, but as someone who is in a position to influence the opinion of a great number of people, it is a shame you have decided to take a line of text and present it out of context in an effort to affirm your own opinion of a group of people.

I don't have any particular feelings towards Jehovah's Witnesses, but I do have a distrust of bad journalism and the manipulation of the media to suit a personal, political or ideological agenda. There are many people who read but do not question, and you as a 'man of science' have a responsibility to be completely transparent if you wish to remain credible.

If you are as sure of your message as you present yourself to be, there is no need for misrepresentation or media manipulation to secure your position with your followers, which is hypocritical in the extreme for a man who stands against organised religion.

Tue, 07 Sep 2010 17:01:42 UTC | #513154

casco6768's Avatar Comment 21 by casco6768

hahaha... who would guess they would be the ones to get offended!

Tue, 07 Sep 2010 17:08:35 UTC | #513158

gwolf's Avatar Comment 22 by gwolf

I too debate them as long as possible. My idea for this is different. JW's are in their missionary positions as a form of volunteer work, and therefore only have limited time to fill their quota of door knock-ups.

Therefore as a public service, I do my best to delay them at my door for as long as possible. I know that if I debate their beliefs with them, they will feel threatened with "religion withdrawal" and argue back to make themselves feel comfortable again (I used to smoke, and I'd itch for a cig the most when somebody would propose quitting to me). I am mostly honest with them, in particular with my hypothesis that they are addicted to their beliefs.

The most potent argument to repeat with religion addicts is the multiplicity of irrational beliefs. I say something along the line of, "You sound just as convinced that you are right as those Methodists I talked to last week. The trouble is you call each other liars and quote the same bibles to do it. You sound so much alike that I certainly can't tell by your passion which of you is right. Based on what I've seen, you're probably all wrong!"

On and on it will go. When the end finally comes, I note that my condo has a no soliciting rule and they have five minutes to leave the property -- and I'll call the cops on a trespassing charge if they deign to knock on another door. They usually leave quickly at that point.

The most surprising thing about my "delay debates" is that every so often the JW/Mormon/Marxist/Muslim/Other will agree with my hypothesis that s/he is addicted to her/his religious belief.

Thanks for reading.

Tue, 07 Sep 2010 17:18:46 UTC | #513165

Flapjack's Avatar Comment 23 by Flapjack

From experience I know that the only way to stop a Jehova's witness talking at you is to shut the door in their face, mid-sentance if need be. Like telemarketers, "Not interested" doesn't compute. They always send sweet old ladies or mums with babies in pushchairs to guilt trip you into hearing the entire chapter and verse. But with repeated exposure to cynical marketing tactics I find I can happily shut the door in their faces within seconds without so much as a twinge of guilt. That said I did manage a good conversation stopper when one of them buzzed my intercom one day...

JW - Hello, I'm just going door to door today and I'm trying to find out from people what do they think happens when you die?

Me - You rot. Goodbye [click]

A friend had a brief bi-polar episode recently which gave him an even better retort. He ended up on a mental ward with a Jehova's witness who didn't approve of his gay lifestyle or the fact he claimed to be god and she told him he was a hellbound sinner. But as he'd just had a personality breakdown he was able to say with complete conviction that he WAS in fact god and it was down to him who went to heaven and hell, it was his bloody universe and if she didn't like that, tough! Wish I'd thought of it...

Updated: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 18:13:53 UTC | #513185

Stonyground's Avatar Comment 24 by Stonyground

Comment 21 by iveswrites.

If the article was quoting Bernstein and then disagreeing with him then I think that you might have a point but it isn't so I don't think that you do. Having said that, if I am wrong about this I think that the great thing about the internet is that a post can be called out on such things straight away and in that case iveswrites would be doing everyone a service by doing so.

The article also trots out the old lie about atheists claiming to disprove the existence of God which any rational person knows is impossible and manages to cite Hitchens while referring to him as 'one atheist' which is pretty sloppy. Maybe they don't want the sheep going off and reading Hitchens for themselves.

Tue, 07 Sep 2010 18:28:07 UTC | #513205

OmegaBaby's Avatar Comment 25 by OmegaBaby

ga2re2t: "Which begs the question of how they're still able to have "faith" after reading about the multiple atrocities inflicted by God in the bible."

As a former JW, I can tell you that when you read about atrocities in the Bible, you simply don't give it any thought and usually don't even notice them. If you do happen to notice them, you usually chalk it up to not understanding the passage, or assuming that God had a good reason to do the thing he did. Actually pointing out some of these atrocities directly in the Bible is a good way to make them question their faith. Being a jerk to them at the door is not, and only further instills the notion that they must have the true religion, and that Satan is persecuting them for it.

Also, I can personally attest that they HATE going door to door. The only reason they do so is because they believe God has commanded them to do so. "Wasting their time" has no effect on them. They're supposed to be out there for 2 hours. To them, it makes little difference whether it's 2 hours spent with one person or a hundred. It's downright AWFUL being a JW, so you should really feel sorry for them.

IMHO, JW's are one of the least worrisome religions. They don't vote and are politically neutral. So the worst effect they can have on your life is occasionally interrupting your football game.

Tue, 07 Sep 2010 18:37:38 UTC | #513214

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 26 by aquilacane

"Is Atheism on the rise?"

Yes, just not door-to-door... nutbags.

Tue, 07 Sep 2010 18:38:00 UTC | #513215

alaskansee's Avatar Comment 27 by alaskansee

My latest encounter with the JW involved me reversing into my garage and pressing the down button as they made a B-line towards me and the family. The next day they called again, sure that it had been an oversight and that if I had know the news they had then I would be converted. They had actually brought their 8ish year old daughter with them so I had a chance to crouch down and address my response to her instead. I kept the bid A under my hat until I'd had a chance to ask her why she thought her father's god was the right one and if she'd considered any others before I dropped the A-bomb. Haven't seen them since.

Tue, 07 Sep 2010 18:56:06 UTC | #513227

nancynancy's Avatar Comment 28 by nancynancy

How funny! I grew up in Brooklyn not far from the Jehovah Witness Watchtower headquarters, half a dozen huge yellow and green office buildings. That and the old Ex Lax Factory were Brooklyn's two most visually arresting buildings. Of course, the end product of the Ex Lax factory was superior in every way to the end product of the Watchtower.

Tue, 07 Sep 2010 18:57:48 UTC | #513229

BigJohn's Avatar Comment 29 by BigJohn

I have a T-shirt hanging by the door that I quickly don whenever the proselytizers come to the door be they JWs or whatever. It says "Jesus Loves Me...but I make him wear a condom." They don't hang around long. This also works for the pizza delivery guys some of whom insist on fervently blessing me as they deliver their goods. Domino's vobiscum, indeed!

Tue, 07 Sep 2010 19:04:50 UTC | #513234

ajs261's Avatar Comment 30 by ajs261

What I find saddest is when they bring their children around with them. Not only is there the indoctrination, leading to the next generation of delusional JWs but how fair is it, while other kids are playing or doing normal things, that these kids are forced to trudge round listening to their parents tell hundreds of people about the "good news."

Tue, 07 Sep 2010 19:47:46 UTC | #513262