← Symphony of Science - The Poetry of Reality (An Anthem for Science)

Symphony of Science - The Poetry of Reality (An Anthem for Science) - Comments

andrew.trapp's Avatar Comment 1 by andrew.trapp

Another excellent Symphony of Science song. This one features more different people than past songs.

Science as the "poetry of reality"...I like it.

Fri, 26 Feb 2010 01:56:00 UTC | #444170

Dorothy Sutton's Avatar Comment 2 by Dorothy Sutton

Ah, yes, splendid! As a poet, I always write about reality, what poet Wm. Blake called the "minute particulars" of humankind. Shakespeare said "the poet's pen . . . gives to airy nothing / A local habitation and a name.."

Fri, 26 Feb 2010 02:45:00 UTC | #444179

Fuzzy Duck's Avatar Comment 3 by Fuzzy Duck

Excellent. Always a joy to hear. Nice to see Richard have more of the spotlight.

Kevin

Fri, 26 Feb 2010 02:55:00 UTC | #444182

Mitch Kahle's Avatar Comment 4 by Mitch Kahle

What a bunch of sappy crap. Those auto-tuners should be banned.

Fri, 26 Feb 2010 03:06:00 UTC | #444185

Andy James's Avatar Comment 5 by Andy James

Science helps scientists who cannot sing, sing. :)

Fri, 26 Feb 2010 03:32:00 UTC | #444190

Alternative Carpark's Avatar Comment 6 by Alternative Carpark

One too many string theorists in the lineup.

Fri, 26 Feb 2010 03:36:00 UTC | #444191

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 7 by SaintStephen

Featuring Professor Paul Zachary Myers, on 2nd soprano.

I'd love to sit up there on that roof with Carl and watch those pigeon formations for a few hours. Then, night would fall, and he would start pointing out interesting constellations in the starry sky...

"Hey! You two! What are you doing up here? This is a private building!

"Quick! Extinguish it Dr. Sagan! Here... give it to me. I'll eat it."

"Hello Officer. My student and I were merely observing the Cosmos and taking in some data. Perhaps you'd like some tickets to the Planetarium for your kids...?"

Fri, 26 Feb 2010 04:18:00 UTC | #444194

severalspeciesof's Avatar Comment 8 by severalspeciesof

Neil deGrasse Tyson did a segment on NovaScience Now about the auto-tuner...

What goes around comes around?...

Fri, 26 Feb 2010 04:33:00 UTC | #444195

Trixie Goforth's Avatar Comment 9 by Trixie Goforth

Dr. Dawkins' writing is absolutely elegiac.

Fri, 26 Feb 2010 04:35:00 UTC | #444196

Mr. Davies's Avatar Comment 10 by Mr. Davies

@ Mitch-
then post something cooler...

Fri, 26 Feb 2010 06:06:00 UTC | #444210

SmartLX's Avatar Comment 11 by SmartLX

Elegiac, Trixie? Elegies are mournful and melancholy. I think RD's much more cheerful than that.

Fri, 26 Feb 2010 06:59:00 UTC | #444216

Mitch Kahle's Avatar Comment 12 by Mitch Kahle

@ Mr. Davies

S = k log W.

Fri, 26 Feb 2010 07:04:00 UTC | #444217

camil_b's Avatar Comment 13 by camil_b

Hello everyone, I don't find this symphony that great either, no offense to anyone. But I've seen this one http://vladtepesblog.com/?p=1401 on line. It's about the LHC. It's originally from YouTube, but I couldn't find the address for it. I don't think I've seen this one on here before. Enjoy!
BTW, it's my first post on here ;) but I've been a fan for a long time.

Fri, 26 Feb 2010 08:53:00 UTC | #444225

weavehole's Avatar Comment 14 by weavehole

Comment #464033 by SaintStephen
Sorry to spoil your fantasy but iirc Sagan was very proud of the fact that he didn't know any constellations.

Except maybe Orion. Everyone knows that one.

Comment #464058 by Mitch Kahle

S = k log W

Entropy ain't what it used to be.

Fri, 26 Feb 2010 08:54:00 UTC | #444226

critica's Avatar Comment 15 by critica

This is simply magnificent.
Saint, hehehehe... me too.

Fri, 26 Feb 2010 10:28:00 UTC | #444241

Muetze's Avatar Comment 16 by Muetze

14. Comment #464067 by weavehole

Except maybe Orion. Everyone knows that one.

Naah, I doubt that. Sagan had a doctorate in astronomy. I don't think you can dedicate your life to the subject and not know your way around the night sky.

And he might not have been particularly fond of astrology but if my memory of Cosmos serves me right, he had a bit of a soft spot for the multitude of names that different cultures gave the constellations.

He might just have been reading off a script though.

Fri, 26 Feb 2010 11:45:00 UTC | #444248

jaytee_555's Avatar Comment 17 by jaytee_555

I would like to let Mitch Kahle (Comment #464024) know that he is not alone in his distaste.

I think this these autotune efforts are to music what Karen Armstrong is to religion. They have a vaguely superficial resemblance to the authentic article, but that's about it.

There is no need to try to gild the scientific lilly with cheesy sentimentality.

To those who say "But isn't it all simply a matter of taste?", I reply, Yes - good taste and bad taste.

Fri, 26 Feb 2010 11:46:00 UTC | #444249

George Lennan's Avatar Comment 18 by George Lennan

Ahem.... this is positively eerie. There is a huge contoversy raging at the moment concerning this site (reported in the Times and elsewhere) and there is *not a word* about it anywhere here.

I'm totally reserving judgment on the rights and wrongs of it, but the fact that it's not being mentioned really is spooky.

I will be fascinated to see if this post is removed. It may influence my opinion :-)

Fri, 26 Feb 2010 13:03:00 UTC | #444254

Mr. Davies's Avatar Comment 19 by Mr. Davies

@Mitch-
Leapin' Boltzmann Batman!

OK, that's cooler...
But my point is that if you're musically inclined, and have the time, come up with something that's not "Sappy Crap". It's too easy to humbug.
@Jaytee_555
I think that any steps towards the promotion of science to a mass audience, and any acknowledgment of a 'Science Culture" can only help, in the long run.
Tastes vary, but remember, if we all liked the same thing, then we'd all be shagging the same person, and that would get messy...

Fri, 26 Feb 2010 17:55:00 UTC | #444330

/Mike's Avatar Comment 20 by /Mike

Please do not derail the threads
/Mike
(admin)

Fri, 26 Feb 2010 22:02:00 UTC | #444400

Yorker's Avatar Comment 21 by Yorker

Those of you who remember the early days will recall the timeout bug - it may still exist - that trashed comments that took some time to write. I avoided the bug simply by writing locally then pasting only when complete; which leads me to the point I wish to make.

We all know when we've written something we consider may have some value or merit and so it seems incredible to me that people who have had their masterpieces deleted didn't think to keep local copies! If people did keep copies then I don't understand the fuss, if they didn't they made a foolish mistake!

Incidentally, I joined RDF the day after Richard Dawkins did and can probably claim to be the first person to receive a wrist-slapping by Josh for straying off topic, I didn't complain, why should I? However, I noticed that off-topic comments rapidly increased in frequency and offenders went unpunished, that was the first inkling of inconsistent moderation.

Personally, I'd had experience of fora prior to this site and so did not visit there much so I don't feel as upset about the changes as many do although I understand their grievances. I will await with mild and casual interest to see what the new site brings.

Fri, 26 Feb 2010 22:13:00 UTC | #444401

alexhouse's Avatar Comment 22 by alexhouse

Not cool. Not cool at all, guys. The symphony of science, of course.

Fri, 26 Feb 2010 22:27:00 UTC | #444404

huzonfurst's Avatar Comment 23 by huzonfurst

Add me to the "No to kitschy, gimmicky, techno-tarded, culture-debasing, gorge-inducing, lamest-excuse-for-music-since-christian-rock horror" contingent.

Fri, 26 Feb 2010 22:31:00 UTC | #444406

Sciros's Avatar Comment 24 by Sciros

Yeah I can't say I'm a big fan of this use of auto-tune. It doesn't really sound good. Seems like it's something that is more fun to make than it is to watch.
Mike, move posts to an alternate comment thread instead of deleting them. You're not dealing with little children, you know.
Nevertheless, some good lines in there.

Fri, 26 Feb 2010 22:45:00 UTC | #444410

HappyPrimate's Avatar Comment 25 by HappyPrimate

Loved it. I love all of the ones previously done also. I think the people who put these together are wonderful and very creative. In this format, I can send these videos to people who would never listen to a science talk, but these videos can get through and might even peak an interest. I'd love to have a T-shirt with RD's phrase that Science is the Poetry of Reality on it. Just love that phrase and think it is so true.

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 03:03:00 UTC | #444456

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 26 by SaintStephen

Wow, tough crowd. Didn't realize I was a panel judge on American Idol. Thumbs up from me. I'm sure it takes a lot of effort to make these.

14. Comment #464067 by weavehole on February 26, 2010 at 8:54 am

Except maybe Orion. Everyone knows that one.
Not even The Big Dipper? Shoot... even after taking in the data with Carl I could find that one. The munchies would guide me straight to it.

;-P

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 04:37:00 UTC | #444471

weavehole's Avatar Comment 27 by weavehole

Comment #464090 by Muetze

I can't remember where I heard him mentioning it but I swear he once said that he made a point of not finding out the names of the constellations. I assumed it was either in an episode of Cosmos or somewhere in The Demon Haunted World.

Perhaps I've misremembered. Will post it if I locate it though.

In the meantime here's the episodes on Astrology and Constellations you mention.

EDIT: Comment #464329 by SaintStephen
A nice Casserole perhaps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iviw7umSazo

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 04:47:00 UTC | #444474

Styrer-'s Avatar Comment 28 by Styrer-

George

Remember 'Have I Got News For You' had to ditch Angus Deayton because, instead of reporting and commenting on the news, he BECAME the news?

So you'll find no mention on these front pages dedicated to truth, reason and rationality of the sorry little Dawkins saga.

Next week: Jo Brand replaces Richard Dawkins!

Sean Tyrer

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 06:50:00 UTC | #444483

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 29 by SaintStephen

25. Comment #464332 by weavehole on February 27, 2010 at 4:47 am

A nice Casserole perhaps.
Mmmmm.... that was delicious.

*Belch*

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 06:59:00 UTC | #444484

Styrer-'s Avatar Comment 30 by Styrer-

And by the way, George

I have no idea why you were sent here to the sinbin for your perfectly fair question. Rather liked it, though, so have willingly offered this and my previous comment to the sinbin in solidarity with you. Hope you don't think me presumptuous.

At least we'll both go out on the dying days of RD.net with a touch of honesty and, may I say, a sense of good fellowship utterly lacking in the master here of these boards. Kampai, prosit, slainte and cheers to you, you sinbinned chap.

And fuck Dawkins and his censorious irrationality. Won't be buying his next book, I'm afraid. Didn't think the old chap would self-implode quite as quickly as I thought was on the cards six months ago. Lights out.

Sean Tyrer