← More than 10,000 people take to the streets to protest against pope

More than 10,000 people take to the streets to protest against pope - Comments

nickthelight's Avatar Comment 1 by nickthelight

I wish I could have gone. I live in London but couldn't make it. I hope another such march is forthcoming so we can keep this issue in the public eye.

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 07:31:26 UTC | #521687

sbooder's Avatar Comment 2 by sbooder

Yada yada yada! same ol same ol.

"There was a picture of the pope holding a golden swastika, which the organisers apparently took down later, as offensive. I don't know why, since Richard Dawkins later delivered a speech comparing every Catholic in Britain to Adolf Hitler."

I am not sure I head RD "comparing every Catholic in Britain to Adolf Hitler", but I suppose that when you say that if the church wants to use baptism as a devise for counting Catholic heads then you must include Hitler in the number, that is exactly what you are saying...NOT!

I love the Father Ted Banner, "Down with this sort of thing"

Updated: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 07:46:42 UTC | #521689

kmoposse's Avatar Comment 3 by kmoposse

Great to hear! I've been coming to RD.net for pretty much all the coverage since I'm in the US. The posters and outfits were really creative (from the pictures posted and the comments). Keep it up all, these issues have been silenced for too long.

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 07:44:18 UTC | #521692

mirandaceleste's Avatar Comment 4 by mirandaceleste

Andrew Brown hears what he wants to hear, not what is actually said.

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 07:45:22 UTC | #521693

Bernard Hurley's Avatar Comment 5 by Bernard Hurley

Hmm.. I listened to Richard Dawkins' speech a couple of times; I dont't remember him saying that!

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 07:46:54 UTC | #521695

mmurray's Avatar Comment 6 by mmurray

Wow Andrew Brown found it hard to say something bad about the anti-Pope parade.

There must be something scary about 15,000 Guardian readers marching.

Michael

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 07:47:59 UTC | #521697

dmac69's Avatar Comment 7 by dmac69

"......since Richard Dawkins later delivered a speech comparing every Catholic in Britain to Adolf Hitler."

No he bloody didn't. He countered the offensive Nazi remarks of "his holiness" by pointing out that Hitler was a Roman Catholic - as indeed he was.

Yet more disgusting, made-up crap from the British press.

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 07:48:24 UTC | #521698

wabsnasm's Avatar Comment 8 by wabsnasm

...Richard Dawkins later delivered a speech comparing every Catholic in Britain to Adolf Hitler

It was pretty clear what Richard was saying, and this wasn't it. If he did that then he also 'delivered a speech comparing everyone with a moustache to Hitler and Stalin.'

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 07:52:40 UTC | #521699

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 9 by Stafford Gordon

We weren't shouting "Fuck the Pope!". It was "Fuck the Pope, not children!".

S G

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 07:56:35 UTC | #521702

spmccullagh's Avatar Comment 10 by spmccullagh

I never expected to hear a middle-class crowd that almost filled up Piccadilly chanting "Fuck the Pope".

Says it all really. I suppose now you'll be telling me that you're rational thugs?

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 07:56:45 UTC | #521703

elenaripoll's Avatar Comment 11 by elenaripoll

BREAKING NEWS: Atheists are not evil people, they actually love life and themselves......the message is not "God does not exist" it is "we choose a wait and see option"!!!!!!

and boy do I feel happy for choosing to be an Atheist!!!

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 07:58:17 UTC | #521704

Stevehill's Avatar Comment 12 by Stevehill

Andrew Brown being, well, Andrew Brown. Unsurprisingly, the Graun has not turned on readers' comments for this particular episode of "Comment Macht Frei".

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 07:58:31 UTC | #521705

hungarianelephant's Avatar Comment 13 by hungarianelephant

Comment 10 by spmccullagh :

While it's not the slogan I personally would have chosen, if you find this less rational and more thuggish than the Vatican™'s attempts to bully clerical rape victims into silence while protecting the priests, then you have a seriously warped sense of priorities.

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 08:04:00 UTC | #521707

sbooder's Avatar Comment 14 by sbooder

I am writing to commentisfree@guardian.co.uk on the bases that we can not comment on the article.

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 08:04:34 UTC | #521708

GalapagosFinch's Avatar Comment 15 by GalapagosFinch

If only the news reporters stuck to the facts. Well I guess it wouldn't be called news then. They are just as much in the axis of spreading vile lies. If only they could pull themselves together and not fawn over high profile folks, like the pope, and stop taking their words for gospel.

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 08:05:13 UTC | #521709

hungarianelephant's Avatar Comment 16 by hungarianelephant

Speaking of congestion, did anyone else find Boris' waiver of the £8 congestion charge for the Popemobile™ absolutely hilarious?

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 08:06:16 UTC | #521710

wunelle's Avatar Comment 17 by wunelle

Jesus. Could we please just get some basic news coverage of an event without the "journalist" telling us what to think (or how poor is his grasp of language)?

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 08:07:15 UTC | #521712

sbooder's Avatar Comment 18 by sbooder

This is my email to the Guardian.

It is rather bizarre that Andrew Brown’s latest blog on Comment is free, has the ability for readers to comment (on his twisting of what Richard Dawkins and the crowd at the Protest the Pope march in London on Saturday), turned off.

It strikes me as ironic that the section is called Comment is Free…well to some and not others it appears.

Would it be possible to have this rectified, so the reading public will be able to read what Richard Dawkins and others actually said.

Kind regards, Simon Booton-Mander.

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 08:15:13 UTC | #521714

Jiffy's Avatar Comment 19 by Jiffy

Shouldn't Richard demand a correction from the Guardian?

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 08:18:02 UTC | #521715

helen sotiriadis's Avatar Comment 20 by helen sotiriadis

here's a great set of images to that event by richard heeks: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11164709@N06/sets/72157624989793514/

in slideshow format here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11164709@N06/sets/72157624989793514/show/

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 08:27:24 UTC | #521716

TheRationalizer's Avatar Comment 21 by TheRationalizer

I notice that the comments section on this article is not available. Shame, I'd like to tell him he is talking crap :)

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 08:39:45 UTC | #521718

legless's Avatar Comment 22 by legless

Great to see so many protesters who made the effort off their own back to be there and make their point unlike the Edinburgh crowd of over 100'000 who consisted mainly of school kids who had been bussed in from all over the UK and were more interested in getting a day off school.

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 08:43:15 UTC | #521719

sbooder's Avatar Comment 23 by sbooder

I find it funny how some people think that every thing said can be turned round and it mean the same in reverse. To say that Hitler was Roman Catholic is not to say that all Roman Catholics are Hitler.

It seems that Andrew Brown is missing a huge part of important literature from his childhood that would have provided him with this information. I am of course talking of Winnie the Pooh, and I quote:

A fly can't bird, but a Bird can fly.

*Cottleston pie, A.A. Milne*

Updated: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 08:58:42 UTC | #521723

elenaripoll's Avatar Comment 24 by elenaripoll

Bussing school kids to see the pope is cheating, just like using baptismal figures to say there are 5/6 million catholics in the UK BULLSHIT!

somebody give me a newspaper willing to print the truth and a ghost writer (I have dyslexia). I have a few articles in my head and I have no fear of telling the actual truth for my own sanity and for my dead uncle whom was abused by a catholic priest whom abused children in EVERY parish he was moved to, my uncle even now that he is dead is still being abused by the Catholic Church, because he committed suicide aged 18 he is in hell according to them!!!!!!!!!!!!

lets do this....lets stop the world it's track's and make them listen to the voice of reason.... Bring it!!!

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 09:26:17 UTC | #521735

Narvi's Avatar Comment 25 by Narvi

The article had a link to report errors and inaccurasies. So I did.

In his article "More than 10,000 people take to the streets to protest against pope", Andrew Brown claimed, amidst other falsehoods, that "Richard Dawkins ... delivered a speech comparing every Catholic in Britain to Adolf Hitler."

What Richard Dawkins said was "Adolf Hitler was Roman Catholic."

I understand that not knowing the difference between "Hitler is Catholic" and "Catholics are Hitler" is an easy mistake to make, but I would prefer it if this was corrected, as to not confuse any readers further.

Hopefully, they will have the decency to correct their error.

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 09:36:23 UTC | #521737

elenaripoll's Avatar Comment 26 by elenaripoll

Richard, change your name to "Jesus" by deed poll......that will get people to speak up more for humanity and what Atheism stands for e.t.c e.t.c e.t.c

Somebody shoot mew before I have to defend my belief system to ONE more angry NON practicing catholic....!!!

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 09:41:05 UTC | #521740

epeeist's Avatar Comment 27 by epeeist

This is published in the CiF Belief section of the Guardian. This normally allows people to comment on the article. However, you will note that for this and Andrew Brown's previous blog comments are switched off.

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 09:44:49 UTC | #521743

godskesen's Avatar Comment 28 by godskesen

What a lying little dirt bag Andrew Brown is whenever the topic is the Catholic religion. Dawkins deserves an apology from Brown and The Guardian, as do atheists in general for his misrepresentation of that slogan.

"Fuck the Pope, not children" is a good slogan, crude as it is. I'll ad "Fuck Andrew Brown" not to be a bully or hurt feelings but to register my disapproval of this instance of immoral slander against Dawkins and atheists.

I'm so sick of this aspect of the Western cultural milieu in which any expression of negative emotion is taken as an indication of some psychological or moral pathology of the person who expresses it rather than as a just and reasonable response to injustice and unreasonableness. Morality and reason, among other things, are the substance of these kinds of discussion, and yet people like Brown are so unhelpfully hung up on form and style of expression, as if not experiencing negative emotions were a goal in itself, a sign mental and moral health, and as if the constructiveness of a dialogue was measured by all participants' feeling of approval by each other. It's perfectly possible to respect a partner in dialogue without having the least bit of respect for the intellectual merits of his or her position and Brown needs to learn that. We know that most religious people are moral but that doesn't make the wrongness of their beliefs a trivial or inconsequential matter. A culture of intellectually rigorous discourse needs to be practised continually or else it disappears.

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 09:49:06 UTC | #521745

Reginald's Avatar Comment 29 by Reginald

sbooder "since Richard Dawkins later delivered a speech comparing every Catholic in Britain to Adolf Hitler."

I thought it was the Pope who compared every atheist in Britain to Adolf Hitler.

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 09:56:48 UTC | #521746

mmurray's Avatar Comment 30 by mmurray

Comment 27 by epeeist :

I expect they are worried about the effect on their servers of 15,000 marchers telling him what Richard really said.

I wonder if this level of support for the anti-Pope march will make the Guardian think about the current CIF bias towards religion ?

Michael