← Atheist Teens Empowered by New Foundation’s Gift

Atheist Teens Empowered by New Foundation’s Gift - Comments

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 1 by AtheistEgbert

This is fantastic news. Yes to empowerment!

Tue, 21 Sep 2010 13:05:37 UTC | #522654

Logicel's Avatar Comment 2 by Logicel

Yeah, baby!

Tue, 21 Sep 2010 13:39:30 UTC | #522673

DamianIcely's Avatar Comment 3 by DamianIcely

Delighted. Wish something like this had existed when I was in school.

Tue, 21 Sep 2010 13:42:05 UTC | #522677

hitchens_jnr's Avatar Comment 4 by hitchens_jnr

Wow. So there IS hope for civilization after all!

This is great news, and has made my day. Well done everybody involved!

Tue, 21 Sep 2010 15:05:21 UTC | #522733

Mr_Paolo's Avatar Comment 5 by Mr_Paolo

Wow - it would be interesting to see how they get on by the end of the school year.

Tue, 21 Sep 2010 16:06:09 UTC | #522773

Stevehill's Avatar Comment 6 by Stevehill

We need more people like Todd out there.

Tue, 21 Sep 2010 16:30:22 UTC | #522796

tll's Avatar Comment 7 by tll

This brings back some strange old memories...

I went to a "public" high school the only high school in a small rural town in Canada in the early 80's. I guess you could of called us all atheist or secularist. If anyone had brought up the topic of religion they got their "ass kicked" verbally or physically! Don't ask me why - that's just the way it was in our high school. Maybe it's because we had a lot hockey players in the school. Ironically, I can guarantee you 90% of the 1800 plus students had no idea the true meaning of atheism or secularism.

Tue, 21 Sep 2010 17:26:23 UTC | #522843

cerad's Avatar Comment 8 by cerad

Stifle Freethought Foundation?

Not so sure that's such a good name.

Tue, 21 Sep 2010 17:51:43 UTC | #522857

Blaine McCartney's Avatar Comment 9 by Blaine McCartney

If only we could have something like this in Northern Ireland. Whilst there are a few all-Ireland atheist/humanist organisations, in terms of school life there really is little thought given to the opinion of the atheist, secularist or even agnostic.

Tue, 21 Sep 2010 18:27:25 UTC | #522895

kaiserkriss's Avatar Comment 10 by kaiserkriss

8 cerad

Anyone with a modicum of knowledge of language and it's roots would recognize Todd's family name as German. Stiefel is the German word for "boot" and is pronounces Steefel for all you Anglophones ;-) I really hope Todd kicks ass with his Stiefel.. That's gotta hurt. jcw

Tue, 21 Sep 2010 18:37:28 UTC | #522907

Dean Buchanan's Avatar Comment 11 by Dean Buchanan

Hmmm...my third contribution to the gene pool will be going to high school in 5 years. He already knows that mom and dad are atheists, can't really help that because we are honest in answering his questions (btw, he is very diplomatic at not letting the little kids know about 'Santa', I feel so proud).

Belonging to a group seems to be one of the most important self-appointed tasks of both middle and high schoolers. A group like this could help answer that question for him, at least partially.

Not that I'm forcing atheism on him Professor Dawkins (he says hastily), it is just that my son is beginning to see through the....number 2, poop, etc.
I am going to have to contribute more to the SSA.

Tue, 21 Sep 2010 23:20:23 UTC | #523052

Eric Leblanc's Avatar Comment 12 by Eric Leblanc

Send some funding here in Canada; we would gladly take pride in putting it to proper usage in our schools. If the chance ever arose, I would, without a doubt, attempt to establish some sort of club or committee in my high school to increase awareness of this ever-growing movement.

But I'm sure that the priorities of the SSA and other organisations similar to it would want them to centre their efforts in the country of which non-believers only constitute 8% of the population, instead of the contrasting 23% over here. To that I will cede my own desires.

Wed, 22 Sep 2010 03:01:31 UTC | #523125

Antipodean Atheist's Avatar Comment 13 by Antipodean Atheist

Absolutely brilliant ! Oh how I wish this had been around when I was at school.

Wed, 22 Sep 2010 04:37:07 UTC | #523147

sbooder's Avatar Comment 14 by sbooder

Comment 8 by cerad :

Stifle Freethought Foundation? Not so sure that's such a good name.

I was thinking the very same thing.

Wed, 22 Sep 2010 05:54:52 UTC | #523156

Gunga Lagunga's Avatar Comment 15 by Gunga Lagunga

Way to go, Todd! The absolute best to you and yours.

And as explained on your website, the SFF isn't accepting donations, so in your honor I just now made a 150 dollar donation to a rather good alternate from your list -- the RDFRS, of course.

(Pope Ratzi will have to wait for next Christmas for his Rottweiler.)

Wed, 22 Sep 2010 06:21:55 UTC | #523164

Todd Stiefel's Avatar Comment 16 by Todd Stiefel

Comment 15 by Gunga Lagunga :

Gunga, on behalf of RDFRS, thanks so much for your donation!

To a few curious folks who posted about my last name and the name of my foundation, it rhymes with "gleeful" not "Eiffel".

Wed, 22 Sep 2010 20:26:25 UTC | #523500

SomersetJohn's Avatar Comment 17 by SomersetJohn

Man puts money where mouth is!

Now THAT gets respect.

Many thanks to Todd, I really hope that many young people benefit by his largesse, and society benefits in turn.

Thu, 23 Sep 2010 00:16:43 UTC | #523581

Papalinton's Avatar Comment 18 by Papalinton

Great one Todd. There is no doubt the groundswell for reason and sense is clearly something that people are increasingly wanting as part of their worldview. Your contribution through the establishment of the Stiefle foundation is one such expression of this groundswell.
I am more than confident that I am witnessing in my lifetime a significant and deeply embedded shift in public sentiment to move away from woo-woo pooh-pooh. Congratulations and thanks. I myself have made contributions to the RDFRS as a grateful token of my approval.

Cheers

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 09:00:32 UTC | #524611

Trojanrunner's Avatar Comment 19 by Trojanrunner

as an atheist teenager I think this might be some of the best news I've read in a while

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 18:46:26 UTC | #524830

wouldbesakota's Avatar Comment 20 by wouldbesakota

I wish I could start something like that at my school, but I don't think most of the atheists at my school would care enough to attend. It would probably be something more like a think tank, study hall, or discussion group.

Anyway, I'm a bit busy with class work and newspaper, and running the school's Gay-Straight Alliance.

Mon, 27 Sep 2010 02:54:46 UTC | #525463

archdeacon pluto's Avatar Comment 21 by archdeacon pluto

Excellent news. After the "holy see"'s recent outburst against non superstitious thinkers, the gloves are off. "Divine revelation?" , no thank you.

Mon, 27 Sep 2010 11:47:49 UTC | #525593

GermanHumanist's Avatar Comment 22 by GermanHumanist

way to go. good for them.

Sun, 03 Oct 2010 11:04:17 UTC | #528393

Moderator's Avatar Comment 23 by Moderator

Moderator's message:

We have removed a number of comments that were not relevant to this thread. Please don't derail discussions by going off topic. Thank you.

Wed, 06 Oct 2010 08:43:36 UTC | #529758

steiffbar's Avatar Comment 24 by steiffbar

WONDERFUL NEWS! You go, guys! (And girls!)

Thu, 07 Oct 2010 14:29:20 UTC | #530301