← Out of the labs, into the pubs

Out of the labs, into the pubs - Comments

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 1 by aquilacane

Thu, 11 Mar 2010 20:30:00 UTC | #448590

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 2 by mordacious1

Hmm...a great lecture and a cool one. Sounds good.

"The people we see here tonight are fed up with a growing irrationality which has existed over the last decade, whether that's creationism or things like homeopathy," he said.

"Fed up" is putting it mildly.

Thu, 11 Mar 2010 20:37:00 UTC | #448593

prettygoodformonkeys's Avatar Comment 3 by prettygoodformonkeys

This is an awesome development! Civilization, at last!

Skeptic lectures, with drinks!

Thu, 11 Mar 2010 21:30:00 UTC | #448612

Mitch Kahle's Avatar Comment 4 by Mitch Kahle

Now this in my kind of church!

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 00:05:00 UTC | #448639

xcattyx's Avatar Comment 5 by xcattyx

"That, I would go to. May have to set something up like that here in Toronto or Hamilton."

Hamilton. I'd come out for that.
-catty-

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 02:42:00 UTC | #448657

jonjermey's Avatar Comment 6 by jonjermey

Blackheath in the Blue Mountains of NSW has a weekly Philosophy Club in the summer which draws a respectable crowd:

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 05:23:00 UTC | #448679

MattHunX's Avatar Comment 7 by MattHunX

While I'm not a fan of pubs (AA, hate crowds, especially drunk crowds, okay not all are drunk but some)...still, this is progress.

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 09:25:00 UTC | #448719

Highmarshal's Avatar Comment 8 by Highmarshal

Intelligent conversations in pubs, now that's something you don't see every day.

Great idea, I wish we had something like that in Finland too!

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 10:33:00 UTC | #448728

cnocspeireag's Avatar Comment 9 by cnocspeireag

So far only Glasgow and Edinburgh. I live in hope that we'll see skeptics in Highland pubs.
Well done to the organizers and supporters.

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 10:55:00 UTC | #448731

Alyson Miers's Avatar Comment 10 by Alyson Miers

Damn, I wish I lived near Glasgow or Edinburgh. I live near Washington, DC. I think there would be a real audience for this sort of gathering around here.

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 16:59:00 UTC | #448821

Lspears142's Avatar Comment 11 by Lspears142

I'm in Scotland, about 1 hour away from Glasgow and 20 minutes from Edinburgh, and would love to go! Problem is, I'm 15, and although my parents are supportive of my religious ( or lack of religious) faith, atheist, of course, I probably won't be aloud to go unfortunately! My town, Dunfermline, needs a non believers group; I have found that there is little support when it is titled with the word atheist. I am currently trying to set up a group at my school, lets pray (lol) it all goes well!!

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 17:00:00 UTC | #448822

flibble's Avatar Comment 12 by flibble

SITP the pub has just started up here in Nottingham too. Unfortunately I've not managed to make it to either of the first two nights yet, but I'm eagerly looking forward to the next one!

EDIT: I just went looking for any feedback on last week's meet, and came across a mention of this - www.enquiryconference.org

My ticket is already booked - can I convince you to give a talk Richard?

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 18:00:00 UTC | #448833

thescotabroad's Avatar Comment 13 by thescotabroad

I'm new to Wellington - anyone know if there is something like this in NZ?

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 18:12:00 UTC | #448836

Billy Sands's Avatar Comment 14 by Billy Sands

Guys, here is where to join http://www.meetup.com/GlasgowSkeptics/

You can also start your own group, but the jerkassess at meetup have just made the format irritatingly useless

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 23:14:00 UTC | #448914

erindorothy's Avatar Comment 15 by erindorothy

Hi there thescotabroad - I'm also in Wellington and have found this link on the NZ Atheist Bus Campaign site:

hope this helps... and I'll get to one of these meetings soon I hope.

Mon, 15 Mar 2010 02:42:00 UTC | #449432