← A handy list of dimwitted members of parliament

A handy list of dimwitted members of parliament - Comments

HardNosedSkeptic's Avatar Comment 1 by HardNosedSkeptic

Why am I not surprised to see Ann Widdecombe's name on that list?

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 20:37:00 UTC | #448868

MattHunX's Avatar Comment 2 by MattHunX

Hmmm...nice black-list.

*GASP* And I'm all out of throwing knives, bullets, poison, pepper spray, gasoline, matches, staple guns, thumbtacks, tranqs...DAMN!

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 20:45:00 UTC | #448874

Nunbeliever's Avatar Comment 3 by Nunbeliever

To me it is not suprising at all that many politicians support homeopathy. In fact I am more suprised that the numbers are "relatively" low.

In my experience many politicians would sign a petition arguing that the earth is flat if it would secure their reelection. Hopefully I am too cynical, but I think it is quite clear that it is all a game for most professional politicians. It is all about paying lip service to the right political groups. I am not sure experienced politicians are even capable of forming a subjective opinion. At least not publicly. In a sense that could be seen as an oxymoron. I guess all professions have their "occupational injuries" and the inability to hold subjective affiliations could very well be regarded as the one many politicians suffer from.

Hence, it is of utter importance that we let our politicians know we are out there and ready to generate some serious noise if they choose to support pseudoscience or irrationality.

This list is a great initiative!!

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 20:47:00 UTC | #448875

MattHunX's Avatar Comment 4 by MattHunX

Comment #468902 by Nunbeliever on March 12, 2010 at 8:47 pm

"Faking it for...uh...who now?" Not necessarily j-is-us.

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 20:51:00 UTC | #448879

NewEnglandBob's Avatar Comment 5 by NewEnglandBob

A handy list of dimwitted members in the American congress is east to produce - every Republican and 40% of the Democrats.

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 20:59:00 UTC | #448882

LaurieB's Avatar Comment 6 by LaurieB

NewEnglandBob,

In addition to the dimwitted American congress we could add a list of dumbbell Governors too.

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 21:03:00 UTC | #448884

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 7 by Jos Gibbons

I've never heard of Democratic Unionists, so presumably there aren't many of them amongst UK MPs, which in turn suggests to me their party is especially over-represented in this list, but I sadly don't know for sure. Indeed, I haven't a clue what this list tells us about various parties' stances on homeopathy. If I counted correctly, the numbers of conservatives on this list is 80 % of the Labour counterpart. I suspected Labour would be the most numerous, simply because in terms of all MPs it is the most numerous; however, since I don't know how much they outnumber the others (does anyone have statistics on the current British Parliament make-up in the House of Commons?), I don't know which of the 2 main parties is proportionally most out of line here. I endeavour to eventually find out what percentage of each party is on this list. It will help me when next I vote.

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 21:09:00 UTC | #448885

Cook@Tahiti's Avatar Comment 8 by Cook@Tahiti

Voting histories on all issues should be mandatory for all elected representatives and easy to access.

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 21:11:00 UTC | #448887

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 9 by robotaholic

you could make a pretty long list of closeted gay republican representatives too

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 21:14:00 UTC | #448889

epeeist's Avatar Comment 10 by epeeist

Comment #468912 by Jos Gibbons:

The DUP is the main "Loyalist" party in Northern Ireland. It counts people who have tried to get information into the tourist office on the Giant's Causeway claiming that it was formed during the Noachic Flood.

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 21:15:00 UTC | #448890

epeeist's Avatar Comment 11 by epeeist

Comment #468914 by Rtambree:

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 21:17:00 UTC | #448891

captain underpants's Avatar Comment 12 by captain underpants

From the same site: "In praise of the data-free discussion. Towards a new paradigm"

It doesn't seem to be a parody, since the same article also turns up here:

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 21:17:00 UTC | #448892

MattHunX's Avatar Comment 13 by MattHunX

Comment #468916 by robotaholic on March 12, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Nothing is wrong with them, though. They're just afraid of social discrimination and the potential loss of their position and popularity.

Also, their views are not harming anyone or society, even when expressed, only the religious cry a river on every chance they get.

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 21:19:00 UTC | #448894

Pete.K's Avatar Comment 14 by Pete.K

I haven't checked yet, but I'm pretty sure my MP isn't on the list, he is a retired hospital consultant, GP, RAF Medical Officer.

Dr Richard Taylor is sitting as an Independent, and therefore has no party ties.

Fingers crossed, I'm going in.

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 21:34:00 UTC | #448895

Muetze's Avatar Comment 15 by Muetze

Comment #468919 by captain underpants

It doesn't seem to be a parody, since the same article also turns up here:

It would be even more funny if that were true, but that article is dripping with sarcasm. Just check Wikipedia:

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 22:21:00 UTC | #448902

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 16 by Jos Gibbons

Thanks for both your posts epeeist. As it happens some of the analysis I wished to perform is already in the original link, but I’ve decided to be exhaustive. See below (parties ranked in descending order of what percentage of their MPs have shamed themselves):

Ulster Unionist (1 of 1, 100 %) – an individual is not of concern

Democratic Unionist (6 of 8, 75 %) – this small band of nut jobs clearly all think very much alike
Liberal Democrat (10 of 63, 15.9 %) – shameful, considering that, of the three biggest parties, I had thought them the most rational
Scottish Nationalist (1 of 7, 14.3 % [3 s.f.]), Independent (1 of 8, 12.5 %) – not worth reading too much into that
Conservative (16 of 193, 8.29 % [3 s.f.]) – unsurprisingly, worse than Labour
Labour (20 of 346, 5.78 %) – well, at least the party in power is the best performer here, with some exceptions below whose numbers are so small it may indicate nothing:

Independent Conservative, Independent Labour, Plaid Cymru, Respect, Sinn Fein, Social Democratic & Labour Party and Speaker and Duties all 0 %

Long story short – Labour, then Conservative, then Lib Dem. Democratic Unionists are the only minor party to come out of this looking unambiguously good or bad – bad, sadly.

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 22:37:00 UTC | #448906

Ivan The Not So Bad's Avatar Comment 17 by Ivan The Not So Bad

I see Stephen Pound is named.

A generally sane and engaging MP, he once revealed a hitherto hidden but insane angle to his personality by going onto BBC Radio 5Live to tell the nation that "Roman Catholicism is in my DNA".

Comment #468921 by MattHunX

By being the most voiciferous homophobes, who speak out with incredible savagery against LGBT people and vote eargerly against equal rights legislation at every opportunity in order to "prove" that they are 100% heterosexual, closeted politicians cause enourmous harm to others.

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 22:48:00 UTC | #448908

Bernard Hurley's Avatar Comment 18 by Bernard Hurley

For those who are not familiar with the quaint customs of the UK parliament, early day motions can be tabled by any MP but are rarely debated and even more rarely lead to any action.

But they do allow MPs to make complete and utter twats of themselves.

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 22:57:00 UTC | #448912

Luke_B's Avatar Comment 19 by Luke_B

I know this is a serious issue but 'he claimed for a computer programme that states it can help users to predict their health via the stars'!!??!! I'm sorry but I can't help but find that hysterical.
But on a more serious note, thankfully my local MP ain't on the list. As mentioned above I was surprised that Stephen Pound was listed (afterall this is the guy who made a statement in Parliament noting the commeration Bill Hicks passing) but from what Ivan the Not So Bad says he's a nutjob like the rest of them.

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 00:34:00 UTC | #448929

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 20 by Ignorant Amos

10. Comment #468917 by epeeist

They are the largest Unionist party in Northern Ireland, not Loyalist.

Jos Gibbons, unfortunately these "nut jobs" are creationists and biblical literalists, Peter Robinson is the First Minister in the Northern Ireland Assembly with the other cretins holding important roles in the various departments making governing decisions in N.I.

Iris Robinson, wife of the first minister and an M.P. in her own right until recently, almost brought the N.I. peace process to it's knees recently.

The sheer hypocrisy of this women recently went way beyond belief. Her outspoken stance on biblical moral standards, especially on homosexuality, became all to much of an embarrassment when her discretions out of marriage with a 19 year old lad, she was 59, and the government corruption attached, surfaced this January.

so. not that insignificant really, but still religious (protestant) fuckwits on a par with those RC's.

In 2005, DUP Councillor Maurice Mills claimed that Hurricane Katrina was sent by God to the United States as an act of judgement upon those who practise sodomy. I bet ya didn't know such lunatics were active in British politics?

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 08:01:00 UTC | #449016

epeeist's Avatar Comment 21 by epeeist

Comment #469044 by Ignorant Amos:

They are the largest Unionist party in Northern Ireland, not Loyalist.
Aren't you actually from that neck of the woods?

I understand and accept your correction. I used "Loyalist" in that I wondered whether Jos and other non-UK residents might get a better idea of their views.

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 08:27:00 UTC | #449018

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 22 by Ignorant Amos

21. Comment #469046 by epeeist

I am indeed sir. I was not trying to be pedantic, just that there is quite a difference, "Loyalist" parties are unionists loyal to the crown and are political wings of loyalist paramilitary groups. Apologies if I appeared to be nit picking.

Edit. example here:-

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 08:36:00 UTC | #449019

msloane's Avatar Comment 23 by msloane

Oh well, just remind yourselves that "evolution is a work in progress". Let's just hope this list aren't prolific procreators.

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 08:59:00 UTC | #449022

godless_hoor's Avatar Comment 24 by godless_hoor

Jesus Christ. Southern Ireland with it's Catholic politicians more interested in taking on blasphemers than child rapists, and Northern Ireland with it's ridiculous creationist homophobes on the Protestant side. Even the Environment Minister in Belfast is a climate change denier.

What a great state of affairs Irish politics is in.

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 09:30:00 UTC | #449026

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 25 by Ignorant Amos

24. Comment #469055 by godless_hoor

When has Irish politics been anything other than in a right state of affairs?

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 10:02:00 UTC | #449029

maxamillion's Avatar Comment 26 by maxamillion

I pass an Early Day Motion every day.

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 12:27:00 UTC | #449053

sundiver's Avatar Comment 27 by sundiver

Molly Ivins once wanted to compile a top ten dumbest members of the Texas Legislature. One of her colleagues pointed out that several of them had never spoken during any sessions so it was difficult to ascertain just how stupid they were, so she included a list of "The Top Ten Pieces of Furniture".

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 18:16:00 UTC | #449126

brainsys's Avatar Comment 28 by brainsys

Sadly the title is wrong. These are not all dim-witted. Oh that was the excuse! I find it much more frightening that some of these people are very intelligent, well read and otherwise quite sensible. We obviously seriously underestimate the true proven power of homoeopathy which is not to cure but to delude good people. Just like religion ...

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 19:34:00 UTC | #449146

Katana's Avatar Comment 29 by Katana

*sigh* my local MP signed that damn thing (Ellwood, Tobias Con), no vote for you Mr. Ellwood!

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 21:28:00 UTC | #449173

Skeptic1972's Avatar Comment 30 by Skeptic1972

Only 8.5%? Parliament is smarter than I thought...

Sun, 14 Mar 2010 06:09:00 UTC | #449250