← Richard Dawkins on Why Evolution Trumps Creationism

Richard Dawkins on Why Evolution Trumps Creationism - Comments

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 1 by InYourFaceNewYorker

Oh, hell yeah! Richard talking towards the end about how Aussies are "straight spoken." InYourFaceAussies, anyone?

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 15:46:00 UTC | #449088

bnightm's Avatar Comment 2 by bnightm

"The King of All the Atheists"? Please.

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 16:01:00 UTC | #449091

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 3 by Jos Gibbons

He's the King of All the Atheists
Some of his noisiest critics are atheists; indeed, atheists were arguably the main critics of his The God Delusion.
now Richard Dawkins is hammering home what he sees as his key argument against the existence of God.
You’re 1 book behind the news, idiot. TGSOE has no such aim.
[RD] attempts to convince his audience of the absolute veracity of Darwin's theories.
HE’s more up to date than that.
[RD] is the author of several books on science and on atheism
All of his books are on science. One is on religion.
he was part of a group of humanists and secularists responsible for the controversial London bus-borne advertisements that advised people "There's Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying and Enjoy your Life".
He provided a small fraction of the funding for it. He was NOT behind it.

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 16:09:00 UTC | #449092

Jeff (HandyGeek) Handy's Avatar Comment 4 by Jeff (HandyGeek) Handy

Love the tie. Funny when he asked how much time he had, folks said "as much time as you need". :) Yeah, that'd be my answer.

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 16:11:00 UTC | #449093

Ludo's Avatar Comment 5 by Ludo

The King of Atheist? Is this a professional journalist?

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 17:55:00 UTC | #449120

the great teapot's Avatar Comment 6 by the great teapot

Jos Gibbons

A little unfair to call him an idiot. The God delusion contained lots of arguments. The greatest show is hammering home his main argument, Evolution.
No need to call people idiots when you may be wrong in your own criticism

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 18:10:00 UTC | #449125

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 7 by Jos Gibbons

Comment #469154 by the great teapot

So, he mistakenly uses the word "now" in conjunction with a predicate applicable in the past - akin to saying RD is "now" defending the extended phenotype - and your defence of him is that the book he's thinking of but shouldn't be is very big and that what RD actually is doing now, namely with TGSOE, is indeed different from what this guy thinks. You're just digging him into a deeper hole in my estimation when observing such points.

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 18:46:00 UTC | #449135

the great teapot's Avatar Comment 8 by the great teapot

He is talking about Richards Most Recent book.
"He is (present tense) going through his book chapter by chapter..."
His book is about the proof for Evolution, which he sees also as an argument against creationism. ( and ultimately any form of god, as we all know)
The details aren't important anyway. It's just not essential to act like spock every time someone opens their mouth.

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 20:13:00 UTC | #449155

Hypoluxa's Avatar Comment 9 by Hypoluxa

Great talk. Very thorough on all accounts.

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 20:44:00 UTC | #449164

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 10 by Jos Gibbons

Comment #469184 by the great teapot

The trouble is he can't seem to make up his mind which book he's describing. TGSOE does not in any way, shape or form make a case against religion, even if it does defend things the author has elsewhere used to make such a case. I will not leave a false dilemma unchallenged any more than I will any other duplicity, regardless of the risk at which I thereby place my self of being compared to Spock.

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 20:51:00 UTC | #449167

helena!'s Avatar Comment 11 by helena!

I really enjoyed this one. I was picturing myself in Australia in the warm outdoors watching it. Richard is a very eloquent and humorous speaker. I was lucky to see him speak live and the energy in the room was electrifying. I can't believe he is 68 he is very youthful looking. That's what happens why you vigorously exercise your brain.

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 21:58:00 UTC | #449177

DeepFritz's Avatar Comment 12 by DeepFritz

The warm Australia outdoors, ah just hang on a sec, I shall open my back door... Yep it's looking nice and warm here in Melbourne today. Just perfect for the atheist convention, warm and sunny 28c max and not a cloud in the sky.

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 22:41:00 UTC | #449182

phasmagigas's Avatar Comment 13 by phasmagigas

factually unassailable position

simply not true, richard is still looking for rabbits in precambrian....yet to find!

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 23:23:00 UTC | #449188

William T. Dawkins's Avatar Comment 14 by William T. Dawkins

Re: Comment #469207 by Helena M

"I can't believe he is 68 he is very youthful looking. That's what happens why you vigorously exercise your brain."

It's all in the genes!

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 23:27:00 UTC | #449189

mmurray's Avatar Comment 15 by mmurray

In his book, "The Greatest Show on Earth", Dawkins aims to put the theory of evolution in a factually unassailable position.

A little editing needed.

In his book, "The Greatest Show on Earth", Dawkins aims to explain the factually unassailable position of the theory of evolution.

Michael

Sun, 14 Mar 2010 00:44:00 UTC | #449203

MAJORPAIN's Avatar Comment 16 by MAJORPAIN

Very nice talk. I wish I could've been there. People do seem very friendly "down under."

I wish Richard had had more time.

Sun, 14 Mar 2010 00:57:00 UTC | #449208

Dave Porter's Avatar Comment 17 by Dave Porter

"He's the King of All the Atheists"

As opposed to being a "Serf of Stupidity" like religious idiots are?

Sun, 14 Mar 2010 03:46:00 UTC | #449233

Philster61's Avatar Comment 18 by Philster61

Well what else would you expect? Its Adelaide.

Sun, 14 Mar 2010 05:22:00 UTC | #449243

gumby gumby's Avatar Comment 19 by gumby gumby

He's the king of all the atheists? Oh my GOD!

Sun, 14 Mar 2010 07:46:00 UTC | #449256

Steve_the_Instro's Avatar Comment 20 by Steve_the_Instro

Philster61 is obviously from the Eastern States!
After seeing the video I truely regret not being able to see Richard Dawkins when he was in town.

Sun, 14 Mar 2010 08:53:00 UTC | #449261

Lightnin's Avatar Comment 21 by Lightnin

He's the King of All the Atheists

How many times do I have to say this, Richard is the Atheist Pope, not the high priest or king, or some other rubbish.

Sun, 14 Mar 2010 11:24:00 UTC | #449276

DeepFritz's Avatar Comment 22 by DeepFritz

The question on different human races was a magnificent one from the crowd and the answer from Richard was superb. I think the nature of the outdoor venue led to a very relaxed crowd. I can only contrast this to the dreary nature of a church mass...

Mon, 15 Mar 2010 00:52:00 UTC | #449418

Paul Pelosi's Avatar Comment 23 by Paul Pelosi

I don't think RD answered the lady's question on race adequately. I understood the business of species and why there are different species, but what of 'race'? Are there different races of chimpanzee and water buffalo? What does 'race' mean in the human context?

Are skin colours and hair textures, and what have you, examples of phenotypes? Are our genetic codes identical but that the genes controlling different phenotypes are switched on or off according to 'race'. These questions never seem to be answered adequately. It could of course be that I'm a half-wit, and that could be a phenotype too.

Mon, 15 Mar 2010 03:29:00 UTC | #449443

Philster61's Avatar Comment 24 by Philster61

"Philster61 is obviously from the Eastern States!"

If you mean eastern states of the US, your totally mistaken.I am UK/NZ raised. Australian resident for many years. Now based in Scandinavia. I made a typical antipodean dig about the Adelaideans. Everybody does. lol

Mon, 15 Mar 2010 03:56:00 UTC | #449449

crookedshoes's Avatar Comment 25 by crookedshoes

King Richard of Atheis, Has a nice ring to it. However, King CrookedShoes sounds better to my ear.

Mon, 15 Mar 2010 14:07:00 UTC | #449552

AshtonBlack's Avatar Comment 26 by AshtonBlack

He's the King, you say? I don't remember voting for him.

Mon, 15 Mar 2010 14:34:00 UTC | #449557

Mr DArcy's Avatar Comment 27 by Mr DArcy

If Richard is the king, is he going to depose the naked emperor?

I always thought that Elvis was the king, and that Clapton was God. (I remember reading it on a wall somewhere.)

Mon, 15 Mar 2010 21:06:00 UTC | #449658

nicole1985's Avatar Comment 28 by nicole1985

Richard, you are indeed a great seducer...

Mon, 15 Mar 2010 23:55:00 UTC | #449692

prettygoodformonkeys's Avatar Comment 29 by prettygoodformonkeys

10. Comment #469196 by Jos Gibbons

TGSOE does not in any way, shape or form make a case against religion
It certainly does; most often, when Richard describes in the book an evolutionary view on a situation, he then compares it to the creationist view. If I were inclined as a scribe I could count the times it happens, but I don't have to: you can click on the book jacket at the top of this page and read how it starts in the first paragraph of the first chapter.

I'm not sure how you could say that bit; maybe it's just that you say so much.

Wed, 17 Mar 2010 21:14:00 UTC | #450087

Aeronik's Avatar Comment 30 by Aeronik

It was a shame the last question wasn't really addressed. It was an interesting point, despite being poorly articulated. But I suspect the intent was to ask whether the crutches of modern society are having a negative impact on our species genes. In particular the medicine and social support that allows individuals with, for example, disabilities, asthma, allergies to common foods and so on to survive and pass their genes on to the next generations when in earlier times chancer are they would not.

I'd certainly be curious to hear Prof. Dawkins thoughts on this one.

Fri, 19 Mar 2010 05:23:00 UTC | #450330