← Archbishop urges Catholics to make faith more visible

Archbishop urges Catholics to make faith more visible - Comments

Dr Doctor's Avatar Comment 1 by Dr Doctor

Yes, well every time I have an argument with a certain catholic she says she will pray for me. I reply, thank you for revealing the pure arrogance that lies behind your adoption of this religion. It is a false moral highground you hold as exemplified by your resort to condescending "I'll pray for you".

Seriously, what makes these people think that anyone can mistake their narciscism and vacuity for benevolence and grace?

In distress, I think a nip of brandy, a hug, a human gesture would be better. Or even first aid.

The more visible you make your faith, the more visible contempt for it will be.

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 08:35:42 UTC | #524599

elenaripoll's Avatar Comment 2 by elenaripoll

"Even the simple step of more regularly using the greeting 'God bless you', gently and naturally, would make a difference to the tone we set in our daily lives, as would the more frequent use of the sign of the cross."

ie.) we have ran out of money and any good ideas, we are fucked, so if "you catholics"could start helping us by coming across as "Insane" in public, then we might be allowed to exist as a religion for a few years longer, the Vatican is expensive you know, and we have just had some money seized...so please catholic followers, help us pay for our retirement.......lol..."you catholics" get to go to heaven remember, we don't actually believe it exists ourselves and would like to live in luxury till we die.....

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 08:36:04 UTC | #524600

Hideous Dwarf's Avatar Comment 3 by Hideous Dwarf

I'm not quite sure how I should react if some deluded soul were to offer me a "God bless you" accompanied by the sign of the cross. Perhaps "And may fairies guard your door", along with a polite hand gesture with the thumbs locked together and the fingers waggled to indicate flight. Flight from reality?

Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 08:36:36 UTC | #524601

Dr Doctor's Avatar Comment 4 by Dr Doctor

Perhaps "And may fairies guard your door",

"No Ron, its Wingardium Leviosa!"

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 08:39:32 UTC | #524603

Lixwulf's Avatar Comment 5 by Lixwulf

Just checked to see that the BBC original has "God bess you" as well (at least as of right now, screen-shot saved for posterity). Makes one wonder how people actually would react to "God bess you"...

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 08:39:54 UTC | #524604

Hideous Dwarf's Avatar Comment 6 by Hideous Dwarf

I just hope they have the decency to do the full 'spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch' rather than just waggling their fingers in what might me misinterpreted as an obscene gesture. I have little respect for Catholics but I wouldn't want to see them getting their features rearranged.

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 08:46:39 UTC | #524605

Bernard Hurley's Avatar Comment 7 by Bernard Hurley

Most adult Catholics will be too embarrassed to make the sign of the cross in public. It's children who will be under most pressure to do this.

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 08:49:24 UTC | #524606

elenaripoll's Avatar Comment 8 by elenaripoll

My response to "God bless you" will be :

"Ah I see you are choosing to use the mood stabilizer called "Religion" I hope one day you can come off your 'drug' without any adverse reactions, and join the happy non-believers, good day to you"

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 08:55:52 UTC | #524609

DefenderOfReason!'s Avatar Comment 9 by DefenderOfReason!

This is quite disgusting.
I hate nothing more than when people say that stupid "god bless you" crap to me. Try telling them "no thanks" and watch the looks you get. haha

And the "sign of the cross"? Really?!? I know people who do this and it is just plain stupid. Let's just make this clear. These people think moving their hand through the air in a certain pattern has some type of effect. Delusional craziness.
Thinking like this is a complete insult and burden to the whole of humanity.

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 09:10:02 UTC | #524614

kscally's Avatar Comment 10 by kscally

Some good responses to "God bess you"' would be:

'May the force be with you' (preferably combined with the Vulcan four fingered salute.)

'God has always looked favourably upon me since the day I sacrificed our first born'.

'Gesundheit'.

'Which God exactly?' (although that does run the risk of your being bored for 30 minutes while they plod through the answer).

I'm sure there must be many more...

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 09:21:14 UTC | #524616

Capt. Bloodeye's Avatar Comment 11 by Capt. Bloodeye

This is fantastic. I have drawn up sales contracts for a number of bridges.

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 09:24:19 UTC | #524617

jez999's Avatar Comment 12 by jez999

Doesn't stop most professional footballers when they come onto the pitch!

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 09:26:30 UTC | #524619

Cestriana's Avatar Comment 13 by Cestriana

The archbishop knows that the UK is hemorraging faithful followers. Without the herd, bang goes the job, the power and the cosy existence. The bloke is desperate.

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 09:31:00 UTC | #524620

sbooder's Avatar Comment 14 by sbooder

My reply to "god bless you" will be "and may reason free you!".

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 09:34:12 UTC | #524621

Hideous Dwarf's Avatar Comment 15 by Hideous Dwarf

How about:

"God bless you."

"Aaaachoo! Good heavens. That was incredible. You don't have any tips for 4.30 at Kempston, do you?

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 09:48:07 UTC | #524625

mmurray's Avatar Comment 16 by mmurray

So what's wrong with "Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo " ?

Michael

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 09:57:35 UTC | #524627

Ivan The Not So Bad's Avatar Comment 17 by Ivan The Not So Bad

Catholics in England and Wales are being urged to build on the visit of Pope Benedict by being more confident in expressing their faith.

Sounds a bit strident.

"A small step we can all take is to be quicker to say to others that we will pray for them, especially to those in distress."

As the outcome for those prayed for is worse than those not prayed for, sounds a bit aggressive.

The Archbishop of Westminster says Catholics should be more ready to make the sign of the cross and say "God bess you" to people.

And may you be touched by His noodly apendage (waves arms around limply and randomly).

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 10:00:04 UTC | #524630

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 18 by AtheistEgbert

The usual double think.

The Pope condemns 'aggressive' forms of secularism and atheism, as do the press with their condemnation of vocal atheism, and now Catholics say to be more vocal.

But you see, Catholics and Anglicans, with their guilt, piety and general timidity and bashfulness, can not understand the passion and rage of the voice of the new atheists, because we're not the ones committing injustices YOU are.

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 10:05:13 UTC | #524633

bachfiend's Avatar Comment 19 by bachfiend

"So what's wrong with "Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo "? (comment #16)

... The fact that anyone stupid enough to say "God bless you" would be too stupid to know their Tolkien by heart.

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 10:07:32 UTC | #524634

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 20 by AtheistEgbert

New Catholic: "God Bless You."

New Atheist: "Fuck you too."

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 10:15:22 UTC | #524640

Ian's Avatar Comment 21 by Ian

I have a problem with some of the responses here.

Assuming the intent is sincere, someone who said, god bless you, has just wished you well. There is really only one decent response: Thank you, all the best to you too.

Anything else is just rude.

As for the "I'll pray for you.", my response is generally: "Make sure you have not forgotten that by the end of the day, because I would hate to think you're just patronizing me."

The most common logical fallacy is the ad hominem and surely by being so aggressive that's what you're doing, attacking the person, rejecting them because of their beliefs. To me that is no better than racism.

I have upset lots of religious people in my time, but never by attacking them. I have criticized their policies, such as when they cover up crimes like child abuse. I have questioned the basis of their beliefs in logic or the historical accuracy, such as the flight of the Jews from Egypt or the existence of Jesus.

But I never attack the person.

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 10:28:52 UTC | #524644

mjwemdee's Avatar Comment 22 by mjwemdee

The pontiff continued: "Your growing awareness of the extent of child abuse in society should serve as an incentive to share the lessons you have learned with the wider community. Indeed, what better way could there be of making reparation for these sins than by reaching out, in a humble spirit of compassion, towards children who continue to suffer abuse elsewhere?" [BBC News, 19 Sept 2010 - my emphasis]

Pass the sickbag. The silly old man STILL doesn't get it.

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 10:29:27 UTC | #524645

Raiko's Avatar Comment 23 by Raiko

"I'll pray for you." "Okay. I'll do some real good in the world to make up for the time you're wasting on that."

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 10:29:57 UTC | #524646

Duff's Avatar Comment 24 by Duff

I will put my hand over my mouth to hide my smile and say, "You can't be serious. I can't believe you actually said that." At that point, I won't be able to stifle my laughter.

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 10:35:53 UTC | #524649

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 25 by Alan4discussion

Re their statements: The use of the sign of the cross? Would that be + or X

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 10:37:40 UTC | #524650

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 26 by AtheistEgbert

Comment 21 by Ian :

But I never** attack the person.

You are still attacking, in a more destructive way, by being passive aggressive.

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 10:40:02 UTC | #524652

jaytee_555's Avatar Comment 27 by jaytee_555

When someone tells me they will pray for me, I respond with a slightly modified comment I picked up from Dan Dennet. I say, "Don't you think that's a bit mean-spirited? - you could at least sacrifice a goat". It makes them think.

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 10:40:31 UTC | #524653

Mrkimbo's Avatar Comment 28 by Mrkimbo

If someone makes the sign of the cross at me they'd better get splints for their fingers.

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 10:51:46 UTC | #524656

kev_s's Avatar Comment 29 by kev_s

If someone says to you, "Bless you" just continue with "..lest the DEVIL takes my soul!!" And then give a maniacal laugh straight from hell. Un-settles them.

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 10:54:20 UTC | #524657

kev_s's Avatar Comment 30 by kev_s

Re: Comment 25 by Alan4discussion

Re their statements: The use of the sign of the cross? Would that be + or X?

.. or perhaps the swastika? (Ducks and runs.)

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 10:56:45 UTC | #524658