← Humanists Prepare to Hold LGBT-Inclusive Prom in Mississippi

Humanists Prepare to Hold LGBT-Inclusive Prom in Mississippi - Comments

Janus's Avatar Comment 1 by Janus

Showing the superiority of humanism through actions rather than words, huh? Very cool.

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 16:47:00 UTC | #449104

Szymanowski's Avatar Comment 2 by Szymanowski

That's a great idea from Todd & Diana Stiefel. It's just a shame that the school board's decision seems to be regarded as acceptable.

BTW it's obviously not a problem that the school board hold "outdated religious mores"; what is a problem is that the mores they hold happen to be bigoted and stupid.

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 16:50:00 UTC | #449105

Alyson Miers's Avatar Comment 3 by Alyson Miers

Anyone think the folks who tend to throw hissyfits whenever someone posts a billboard that says "you can be good without God" will remember this event next time they see one of those horribly offensive images of fluffy white clouds against a blue sky?

I doubt it.

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 18:23:00 UTC | #449129

Frankus1122's Avatar Comment 4 by Frankus1122

The real world will trump make-believe.
We continue our moral progress using rational thought, not adherence to ancient writings from another time and place.

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 18:36:00 UTC | #449132

sara g's Avatar Comment 5 by sara g

Alyson, I'm pretty sure whoever is offended by those signs is at least as offended by the idea of gay teenagers enjoying a prom.

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 18:51:00 UTC | #449136

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 6 by Cartomancer

Roy Zimmerman sums up the attitudes of these narrow-minded bigots perfectly...

We'll raise our double-standard and see who salutes!

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 18:55:00 UTC | #449138

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 7 by robotaholic

the all inclusive prom is not what was expected for sure!

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 19:25:00 UTC | #449144

DamnDirtyApe's Avatar Comment 8 by DamnDirtyApe

Right on.

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 20:07:00 UTC | #449152

Monkey Man's Avatar Comment 9 by Monkey Man

In your face! HA!

I thank god for bisexual girls, just sayin...

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 20:17:00 UTC | #449159

jcob82's Avatar Comment 10 by jcob82

Awesome! Another reason I'm glad to be a member of AHA. Let those religious bigots choke with rage and impotence while the kids have fun at an all inclusive prom. Cheers to Todd and Diana Stiefel!

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 21:12:00 UTC | #449170

Alyson Miers's Avatar Comment 11 by Alyson Miers

But whether they'd want to reveal themselves as such when confronted with the inclusive prom as an example of secular charity is another matter. Homophobia is still powerful, but it's also becoming increasingly unpopular. It's considered somewhat more shameful by now to be known as a spiteful homophobic bigot than to be known as a spiteful anti-atheist bigot.

Putting billboards and bus ads aside, the concept of non-theists being decent, generous people to at least the same extent as the religious is still kind of a controversial idea. The AHA's sponsoring the inclusive prom is a strong point against that assumption, but something tells me it's not going to register as such with a lot of people.

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 22:30:00 UTC | #449180

Mitch Kahle's Avatar Comment 12 by Mitch Kahle

Excellent. This is the best way to support the cause of secularism.

When the bigots react to the emerging tolerance, humanists can step in and place reason above racism and discrimination.

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 22:43:00 UTC | #449183

Corylus's Avatar Comment 13 by Corylus

Hurray!

Party on dudes.

(You are already being excellent to each other so I don't need to mention that one).

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 22:51:00 UTC | #449185

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 14 by Cartomancer

Also, I dare say $20,000 will pay for a much better party than a hard-pressed state school would have been able to muster. One of the things that sickened me about this case was that the school itself wrote to students telling them exactly why they had canceled the party - which Ms. McMillen quite understandably predicted would have made her the target of much ill-feeling from the less sensitive among them. It was bordering on the incitement of homophobic hatred.

Now they have her (and, of course, the AHA) to thank for giving them a much better event. So it's smiles all round. Well, apart from the lemon-sucking homophobic tossers who caused the furore in the first place, but they're the sort of people who are never happy, so it's no loss.

Sun, 14 Mar 2010 00:18:00 UTC | #449200

sara g's Avatar Comment 15 by sara g

Cartomancer, thanks for that link. "Defending marriage against people who want to get married." I think I need a t shirt. ;)

Sun, 14 Mar 2010 00:38:00 UTC | #449201

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 16 by Steve Zara

I'm really glad this has resulted in such a positive response, even though, being British, I have no idea what this "School Promenade" is, or what it involves. When I was at school in the 70s, we had vaguely embarrassing discos. But I strongly support the right of everyone to be vaguely embarrassed, no matter what their sexual orientation.

Sun, 14 Mar 2010 00:58:00 UTC | #449210

glenister_m's Avatar Comment 17 by glenister_m

(Sorry my pessimistic side is rearing its head. ) Although I think this is a wonderful addition to the story, I'm sure the fundies will come up with some way to ruin things. Whether that is forbidding their children to attend, picketing, or putting on their own privately-funded, rigid-dress-code event at the same time remains to be seen. I just can't see a group willing to publicly cancel an entire school's prom over one student sitting still while a non-religious group helps that student save the day.

Unless of course they were intelligent/manipulative enough to realize that they could save themselves money by doing something stupid publicly, so that someone else would come along and foot the bill...nah.

(Although I still think that Dan Quayle's job was to say stupid things to distract the public attention away from what Bush Sr. was doing.)

Sun, 14 Mar 2010 01:11:00 UTC | #449212

phil rimmer's Avatar Comment 18 by phil rimmer

Comment #469167 by Cartomancer

Zimmerman. Excellent. Lehrer lives, and got better.

This AHA action is a wonderful antidote to petty homophobia. Would that it were an antidote to the vile news in the last few months from Uganda, where mere(!) spiteful nastiness is actively whipped up to spittle-flecked hatred. This is so many steps backwards...

Sun, 14 Mar 2010 01:30:00 UTC | #449216

mirandaceleste's Avatar Comment 19 by mirandaceleste

This is fantastic. & Steve, the Wiki page for "Prom" says:

The British synonym for the North American event would be Leavers' Ball, Leavers' Dinner, Formal or, informally, Leavers' Do.

if that helps at all.

Sun, 14 Mar 2010 01:45:00 UTC | #449219

SnowyDoc's Avatar Comment 20 by SnowyDoc

And we Antipodeans would call it a "Formal". :-)

I can only imagine the poor girl (and her date!) caught in the midst of all of this ridiculousness-turned-groovy will be mighty damn popular for triggering a much more upmarket $20,000 party for everyone. :)

Great outcome. Pity about _why_ it happened this way... but... party on...

Sun, 14 Mar 2010 03:24:00 UTC | #449231

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 21 by Cartomancer

We had school discos too. But my friends always told me they weren't going, so as to put me off the scent, and then they went without me. So I never actually got to see what they were like. This was probably a blessing if post-event reports are to be trusted. Far too much heterosexuality going on by all accounts.

Nevertheless, taking the inimitable Buffy the Vampire Slayer as my guide to all things American pop culture (series 3, episode 20) I do believe this promenade lark to be some kind of official leavers' party, wherein departing youths don ill-fitting formal wear, and where it is considered vitally important to have a "date" for some as yet undisclosed reason. I am fairly sure the daemonic hyena monsters are not a part of regular proceedings in most cases.

When I left secondary education in 2000 we had none of this either. I just left, and then a month and a half later I got my exam results. They were in an envelope. It smelled vaguely of fish.

I am fairly sure I would have been allowed to have a same-sex partner with me for the opening of my envelope however. Which is largely academic of course, because I was so far in the closet back then that I was in Narnia.

And then all my friends celebrated by going on holiday to Crete without me, and didn't tell me about it until two years afterwards. The fuckers...

Sun, 14 Mar 2010 04:09:00 UTC | #449236

mmurray's Avatar Comment 22 by mmurray

And we Antipodeans would call it a "Formal". :-)

Yep and the most important aspect seems to be which before and after party you are invited to. I guess if you are a girl the dress is important but I have boys.

Well done to the AHA.

Michael

Sun, 14 Mar 2010 04:30:00 UTC | #449237

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 23 by Ignorant Amos

I concur with glenister_m that the towns "lemon-sucking homophobic tossers", thanks for that Cartmancer, will try and fuck it up, at the very least by banning their own kids and worst case, by picketing. They just can't see anyone having a good time.

Sun, 14 Mar 2010 04:45:00 UTC | #449238

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 24 by Ignorant Amos

16. Comment #469242 by Steve Zara

Attending school in the 70's myself Steve, I remember the kinda disco you are talking about.

Nowadays, British youngsters go to a Formal in their last year before university. Normally held in a local hotel, then onto a night club after to party into the wee hours. This has been copied from the U.S, model of the high school prom. It's a glitzy affair with Tuxedo's, expensive dresses, corsage's and Limo's...and need I say rather costly. I know from experience, my daughter, that it is thee important event in the calendar of that final year, more so even that exam results day. Oh how the times have changed.

I hope this Prom being organised by the AHA goes off in a spectacular fashion...and my worries are completely unfounded, fingers crossed everyone, lol.

Edit. I must mention that in the U.K. it is usually those higher seats of learning that hold Formals, but not exclusively.

Sun, 14 Mar 2010 04:58:00 UTC | #449240

morgan.frank@bigpond.com's Avatar Comment 25 by morgan.frank@bigpond.com

AHA, excellent way of handling the issue; screwing your enemy with kindness to the innocent parties.

Sun, 14 Mar 2010 05:21:00 UTC | #449242

sandman67's Avatar Comment 26 by sandman67

This makes me proud to be an anti-theist.

However, give the publicity that this has attracted, what is your bet that those poisonous bigots from Westboro or some equally nasty right wing bigots turn up?

Sun, 14 Mar 2010 08:18:00 UTC | #449258

Roland_F's Avatar Comment 27 by Roland_F

The Itawamba County School District made headlines earlier this week by cancelling their prom rather than letting a lesbian student, Constance McMillen, bring her girlfriend as her date.
What would be the reaction if the reason given was “because she bring her black boyfriend to the date”, or “because he bring his Buddhist girlfriend to the party” or something like this :
I think the outcry and stink would go all the way to the White House, but because of homosexual partners no big uproar. Maybe the school board can justify their decision as precaution to prevent an earthquake, a Hurricane or some similar sign of YHWH wrath ……

Sun, 14 Mar 2010 09:00:00 UTC | #449262

Net's Avatar Comment 28 by Net

i've never understood why the "l" lgbt has to come first. never really understood why there has to be an "l" at all, really; when "g" could stand for all homosexuals. maybe it's one of those silly political things...

Sun, 14 Mar 2010 09:09:00 UTC | #449263

bnightm's Avatar Comment 29 by bnightm

#28: Conspiracy nut much?

Sun, 14 Mar 2010 09:50:00 UTC | #449267

AshtonBlack's Avatar Comment 30 by AshtonBlack

LOL.

A 21st century remake of Cinderella anyone?

AHA: "You shall go to the ball."

Sun, 14 Mar 2010 10:57:00 UTC | #449274