← Druidry to be classed as religion by Charity Commission

Druidry to be classed as religion by Charity Commission - Comments

Stevehill's Avatar Comment 1 by Stevehill

I suppose it's less daft than some of the ones they've already let in.

I guess they won't be resuming human sacrifices any time soon.

Sat, 02 Oct 2010 11:51:53 UTC | #527974

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 2 by Agrajag

Senior druid King Arthur Pendragon, told the BBC News website the organisation had had to "jump through hoops" to meet the commission's requirements.

Surely this is tongue-in-cheek. <_<

Steve

Sat, 02 Oct 2010 11:53:49 UTC | #527975

Bala's Avatar Comment 3 by Bala

One more is not enough. We need hundreds more of such quackery so that people realise that the term 'fake religion' is a tautology.

Sat, 02 Oct 2010 11:57:21 UTC | #527977

-TheCodeCrack-'s Avatar Comment 4 by -TheCodeCrack-

This just has stupid wrote all over it.

Sat, 02 Oct 2010 11:57:22 UTC | #527978

Blaine McCartney's Avatar Comment 5 by Blaine McCartney

I actually find this situation quite amusing. I certainly bear less grudges towards druidry in that it's certainly much less harmful than most of the nonsense we have classed as "religion" today, and after a few centuries of purging thanks to, yep, you guessed it, those tolerant devout Christian Romans all those centuries ago, it's being classed an equal with the likes of Christianity, Islam and so on. Truly hilarious stuff. Perhaps this now official juxtaposition shall make people more aware of just how much of a nonsense our institutionalised Christianity is. The fact that it also gets tax breaks is certainly far from pleasing news, but if people see that the likes of Druidry, all things, that is growing bear mind, gets tax exemptions, then perhaps they'll wonder, "Well if this druid nonsense gets tax exemptions, then why should we be tolerant of Christianity getting them too", or something to that effect.

Sat, 02 Oct 2010 11:57:58 UTC | #527980

Bloom's Avatar Comment 6 by Bloom

Anyone want to start a campaign to get Jedi officially recognised? I could do with a lightsabre.

Sat, 02 Oct 2010 12:09:10 UTC | #527983

elenaripoll's Avatar Comment 7 by elenaripoll

Let's all start a Religion's then....I have a wild imagination.

New discussion topic?

What is your proposed idea for a new Religion? lol and it has to offer "coherent practices for the worship of a supreme being, and provide a beneficial moral framework."

who would I like as my supreme being.....that will keep me busy thinking all day!

Sat, 02 Oct 2010 12:27:30 UTC | #527987

seals's Avatar Comment 8 by seals

"The decision will also mean that druidry will have the status of a genuine faith."

So what's the difference between druid faith and genuine faith I wonder?

The more the merrier. The more religions there are, the less credible any particular one becomes. And for all the airy fairy ideas about leylines and suchlike, this religion at least has an environmental aspect, contrary to the mainstream ones.

Sat, 02 Oct 2010 12:29:19 UTC | #527988

-TheCodeCrack-'s Avatar Comment 9 by -TheCodeCrack-

*written

Am I bad.

Sat, 02 Oct 2010 12:32:38 UTC | #527989

-TheCodeCrack-'s Avatar Comment 10 by -TheCodeCrack-

Could you get charity status if your religion was very small, like, 1 person? If so, could I use it to fund a temple thing?

I'm looking to score me a cheap house.

Sat, 02 Oct 2010 12:34:23 UTC | #527990

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 11 by AtheistEgbert

Are modern druids still practising human sacrifice like the ancients or is this no longer part of the religion?

Yes yes, we need a ridiculing religion to point out the absurdity of religious privilege. So will someone please try and get Pastafarianism recognised as a religious practice. Even if I need to eat spaghetti and meatballs or put up a poster of the great flying spaghetti monster and worship it. We can build Pastafarian temples and advertise them with airships dragging along a giant inflatable spaghetti monster.

Sat, 02 Oct 2010 12:38:28 UTC | #527993

Hammert1me's Avatar Comment 12 by Hammert1me

My brother is an anthropologist, he explained the pagan paradox to me.

Pagan belief in europe died out towards the end of the roman empire. Pagans seldom kept records, as a result all pagan practices have been passed down as folklore for the last thousand years or so.

Professional anthropologists and archeologists have very little idea of the practices and beliefs of ancient european pagans. If this is the case, where are these new-age pagans getting their information? Hollywood? Thier imagination?

Suggesting that this is a resurrected 'ancient' religion is ridiculous. This is no more a religion than the hobby of Live Action Role Playing or those trekkies who learn klingon.

Does anyone know the proceedure for getting a lifestyle classified as a religion? I know the 5'000 population on the census was an urban myth (the Jedi scored way higher than that).

Sat, 02 Oct 2010 12:44:59 UTC | #527996

elenaripoll's Avatar Comment 13 by elenaripoll

@-TheCodeCrack-

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

I find that really funny seeing as my house is in neg equity and I am up to my eyeballs in personal and business debt trying to keep the one 'roof' over my head, ha ha ha, we are all so screwed...lol

Sat, 02 Oct 2010 12:58:17 UTC | #528001

elenaripoll's Avatar Comment 14 by elenaripoll

Don't some people say Yoga is a religion of sort?

well 'Pole attack' (exercise involving learning how to pole dance for all sexes) is taking the UK by storm at the moment apparently

THERE would be an interesting one to try lol!

Sat, 02 Oct 2010 13:04:20 UTC | #528004

elenaripoll's Avatar Comment 15 by elenaripoll

Supreme being being the 'Pole' of course lol

Sat, 02 Oct 2010 13:08:40 UTC | #528006

Secutor's Avatar Comment 16 by Secutor

Unfortunately, the real Druids took nearly all of their secrets with them to the grave. This fantasy Druidism, however, is no more ridiculous than the fantasy known as Christianity.

Sat, 02 Oct 2010 13:10:20 UTC | #528007

opposablethumbs's Avatar Comment 17 by opposablethumbs

I'm not sure why it has to involve worshipping a supreme being, though. Aren't there well-established belief systems that don't? Or doesn't Taoism get the tax breaks, then?

Because if Taoism counts, then we could surely hold the entire system up to ridicule as RD says, by coming up with something perfectly palatable of our own... and demanding tax exempt status... and then when it's refused, demanding that the other woo-worship systems lose theirs too. Might never work, but we could have a lot of fun trying.

(saw the druid news on the BBC news page this morning - was wondering how many minutes it would take before it was up here! :-D )

Sat, 02 Oct 2010 13:13:12 UTC | #528009

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 18 by Stafford Gordon

This is getting really silly.

I think I'll bypass organized religion and become a god in my own right.

At least I'll save on tax.

Sat, 02 Oct 2010 13:30:51 UTC | #528014

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 19 by KRKBAB

KING ARTHUR of PENDRAGON..............BWAAAAHAAAAA!

Sat, 02 Oct 2010 13:33:30 UTC | #528016

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 20 by KRKBAB

Comment by Richard: I see this as an excellent opportunity for ridiculing... Yes- X 1,000,000,000 (I'm American- I exaggerate)

Sat, 02 Oct 2010 13:35:41 UTC | #528017

elenaripoll's Avatar Comment 21 by elenaripoll

I've decided 'Barbarella' is my supreme being, and the beneficial moral framework I offer is all self explained in the movie ;-)

Sat, 02 Oct 2010 13:38:32 UTC | #528019

Ivan The Not So Bad's Avatar Comment 22 by Ivan The Not So Bad

This has just been discussed on the BBC World Service:

Newshour (segment starts 14 minutes in)

For stupidity, pot calling kettle black, incoherence, lack of self-awareness, arrogance and an attitude of threatened entitlement, the Church of England spokesperson is a delight ("........[Christianity is] based on the word of God, which is the Bible, so there is no mythology and no nonsense in it........").

Priceless.

Sat, 02 Oct 2010 13:51:21 UTC | #528023

Atropa's Avatar Comment 23 by Atropa

What are "coherent practices for the worship of a supreme being" when they're at home? Driuds are alledged to worship a number of deities, including Thunder. I worship nail clippings, as it happens. Is this a mickey-take by the Charity Commission? How much more loopy would a religion have to be to be beyond Charity status?

Sat, 02 Oct 2010 14:15:51 UTC | #528027

AlexP's Avatar Comment 24 by AlexP

... and then there is going to be a schism and druids are going to accuse each other of not being real druids and of misinterpreting druidry.

Radical druids will start sacrificing humans while moderate druids will point out that druidry is about harmony and love of all nature. Some will demand the right to carry sickles at all times while others will claim that the sickle is merely a tool used BY druids, not a part of druidry itself.

Druid scholars will ridicule the deluded fools simple minded enough to take the literal meaning of ancient druid texts at face value, instead of randomly interpreting them to fit whatever they want them to say.

Countless people will openly declare themselves druids without having even the slightest idea about druidry. They'll continue to stress the importance of their belief in their daily lives while at the same time happily ignoring all the aspects of druidry they consider outdated, unpleasant or boring.

A great tree is going to be planted in England to channel the spirit of the earth and bring forth world peace. The continuing wars will then be blamed equally on the disrespect for druidic values, an insufficient tree or a general lack of faith. There's probably going to be another schism or two here.

Then, most druids will get bored with druidry and start ignoring it, only remembering the druidry once or twice a year to attend to the gatherings at stonehenge. There will be cake.

Sat, 02 Oct 2010 14:34:52 UTC | #528035

SoHelpMeReason's Avatar Comment 25 by SoHelpMeReason

Oh Richard. You deluded fool. Don't you know the blessings of religion? I founded the Coins Beneath the Couch Cushions Church of Latter Day Rummagers and am the happiest I've ever been. It's only me, but I have sermons and activities for myself and my little dachshund Wienie in my living room every Friday and Monday evening. (You're invited to receive light in your life too, by the way, so feel free to stop in whenever you get the chance, but you better drop that ignorant atheism stuff first mister.)

Anyway, I am presently working on getting the government to allow me a tax break alongside all the other major religions, and I expect one day when the Couch Coin Church has brought glory to all mankind, you'll regret being silly and posting this.

Good day to you sir. May the High Dollar be with you.

Sat, 02 Oct 2010 14:46:43 UTC | #528043

cheesedoff17's Avatar Comment 26 by cheesedoff17

When I saw some TV program once showing the Druids at Stone Henge, I honestly thought they were just pageant people. I'm absolutely staggered to hear that they were for real!

Sat, 02 Oct 2010 14:48:49 UTC | #528044

kaiserkriss's Avatar Comment 27 by kaiserkriss

As I wrote when I submitted a similar article from the Telegraph yesterday for posting.. Not another "religion" getting a tax exemption and living off the public purse. All religions should be made to pay taxes. That would put a huge dent into Deficits and maybe even allow the odd tax cut for the average citizen. This whole business of not paying taxes by organizations collecting money for whatever services or products needs reexamination. Once again why do "organized" religions get a free pass when everyone else pays taxes? In case people haven't realized it, this is a direct subsidy to religions paid for by every tax payer. Maybe we should insist that all religions pay taxes- no exceptions, no deductions, just like any other business. I can already hear the uproar by the elite and politicians- but it would rid us that mental plague very quickly...jcw

Sat, 02 Oct 2010 14:49:19 UTC | #528045

Correct me if I'm wrong's Avatar Comment 28 by Correct me if I'm wrong

I think I'm happy to tolerate one more tax break in this case. It's ridiculous enough to hurt other religions by comparison and I've been laughing about King Arthur for a few minutes AND I don't pay taxes anyway. I wonder if there's a Merlin.

Sat, 02 Oct 2010 15:05:14 UTC | #528050

Mbee's Avatar Comment 29 by Mbee

Thanks Ivan, The lady on Newshour was fantastic. We need people like her speaking up more often to help show that Christianity has no bias towards other religions. ;<{)

Sat, 02 Oct 2010 15:11:26 UTC | #528052

Letsbereasonable's Avatar Comment 30 by Letsbereasonable

Comment 25 by SoHelpMeReason :

If I were to offer a prize for the Post of the Thread, at least so far, it would go to this one.

Sat, 02 Oct 2010 15:26:39 UTC | #528056