← Moon's Water Comes in Three Flavors, Scientists Say

Moon's Water Comes in Three Flavors, Scientists Say - Comments

glenister_m's Avatar Comment 1 by glenister_m

I imagine comet debris could account for a lot of the ice.

Wed, 24 Mar 2010 04:22:00 UTC | #451720

Steve_the_Instro's Avatar Comment 2 by Steve_the_Instro

Coming soon... the world's most expensive bottled water, in three refreshing flavours!

Wed, 24 Mar 2010 06:23:00 UTC | #451745

weavehole's Avatar Comment 3 by weavehole

Maybe Deepak can market three different flavours of radically ambiguous and ceaselessly flowing quantum moon soup.

Wed, 24 Mar 2010 10:33:00 UTC | #451787

NewEnglandBob's Avatar Comment 4 by NewEnglandBob

I hope when they bottle the moon water, they do it on the shady side where it will be colder and more refreshing.

Wed, 24 Mar 2010 10:49:00 UTC | #451793

bluebird's Avatar Comment 5 by bluebird

Three flavors?!? Grape, cherry, lime lunar snow cones; I have first dibs for a moon colony sno-cone cart :D

It's a strange but fun adjustment to think of H2O on Earth's satellite.

Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:07:00 UTC | #451801

rsharvey's Avatar Comment 6 by rsharvey

Comment #471957 by weavehole on March 24, 2010 at 10:33 am

Haha. I nearly spat out my tea when I read that

Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:22:00 UTC | #451807

William Carlton's Avatar Comment 7 by William Carlton

weavehole wins the internet.

Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:05:00 UTC | #451820

crookedshoes's Avatar Comment 8 by crookedshoes

Is it possible (or likely) that one these missions could intentionally (or unintentionally) contaminate the ice/water on the moon with bacteria that can tolerate the environment? It would, I think, be a great proof of evolution. How would deniers deny it?

Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:16:00 UTC | #451821

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 9 by SaganTheCat

How would deniers deny it£

hahahahahaha!

sorry crooked I take your point but where have you been for the last 150 years!

Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:12:00 UTC | #451834

weavehole's Avatar Comment 10 by weavehole

Comment #471998 by crookedshoes

I guess it's possible but preventative measures have been taken since way back when.

Here's something a little more up to date.

Comment #471981 by rsharvey and comment #471997 by William Carlton
[blushes]

Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:14:00 UTC | #451837

Skeptic Jim's Avatar Comment 11 by Skeptic Jim

"Until recently the moon was thought to be bone dry"

Last I checked the water they found was frozen which would mean the moon is still as dry as they thought it was before!

Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:40:00 UTC | #451843

crookedshoes's Avatar Comment 12 by crookedshoes

Captain,
I know they would deny it, but how? What feat of creative lying would they employ?

Wed, 24 Mar 2010 14:02:00 UTC | #451847

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 13 by SaganTheCat

crooked

probably by telling some lies, misreporting events, willfully misunderstanding the scientific method used and conclusions reached, throwing in the od ad hominem, display masses of personal incredulity and finish off with a demonstration of how easy it is to hold a banana

the fact is, while science can successfully use the same methods of logic and reason to discredit woowoo, faith-heads employ the same methods for arguing agianst reason each time. successfully too to those who believe them

to use this example though, if I were chasing a templeton, I'd say scientists (booo!) have always insisted life can't exist on the moon whereas the faithful (horaaaay!) always KNEW that god can perform miracles and here we have an example of a miracle confirmed by science

DO I GET A AMEN...

Wed, 24 Mar 2010 15:01:00 UTC | #451852

Medtner's Avatar Comment 14 by Medtner

Moon Water...

Maybe they should revive the Pluto Water in the process?

;-)

Wed, 24 Mar 2010 16:14:00 UTC | #451855

BroughtyBoy's Avatar Comment 16 by BroughtyBoy

We should send up some hops, sugar and yeast spores and let the aeons do their magic. Moonshine.

Wed, 24 Mar 2010 16:47:00 UTC | #451861

crookedshoes's Avatar Comment 17 by crookedshoes

Captain,
Well done. I have a very easy time thinking like a criminal (I work part time in a prison and the inmates are always incredulous when I process their crimes for them and tell them why they got caught) I have a really hard time thinking irrationally. Also, their tired arguments never hold sway with me, so I don't really think of them as "tried and true" but I guess they are.

Wed, 24 Mar 2010 17:40:00 UTC | #451879

Goodwithwood's Avatar Comment 18 by Goodwithwood

Just add vodka and shake!

Wed, 24 Mar 2010 18:11:00 UTC | #451885

Brian The Coyote's Avatar Comment 19 by Brian The Coyote

So if you took a bottle of this Moon water and shook it really hard would it make the homeopathic cure for lunacy£

Thu, 25 Mar 2010 10:48:00 UTC | #452016

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 20 by SaganTheCat

crooked

yeah you know what i'm talking about

so often we read a new bit of scientific discovery and fall into the trap of thinking "there's just no argument with those facts" but they don't need an argument and never have. it's simply denial.

There must be an all knowing creator: denial of the scary position of us humans being as clever as it gets and having to accept every brain can only hold a piece of the whole picture of creation. denial that we've grown past the age where daddy has an answer for every question and we have to think for ourselves

God must love me: denial of the concept that i might be unlovable

there is an afterlife: we've dicussed this elsewhere, nuff said!

there is a hell: denial of the fact that our own sense of injustice is just that. our own sense

If you can't grow up, denial is a piece of piss!

who needs arguments£

Thu, 25 Mar 2010 12:48:00 UTC | #452050

PERSON's Avatar Comment 21 by PERSON

"20. Comment #472289 by CaptainMandate on March 25, 2010 at 12:48 pm
who needs arguments?"

A lot of people do, just not too much or too hard an argument.
The divide between religious and normal life is more complete in some than others. Forcing people to accept or reject religion and allowing nothing else hardens the partition or destroys it. That destruction can lead to unconscious dysfunction, often expressed as cravings, e.g. for knowledge, adrenaline or material goods, and paucity of imagination without care. It needn't but can. That dysfunction can take people back to religion to try to heal as they see the abandonment as the cause, in a sense being correct. Hardening leads to fervent irrationality as a second self is created outside the reach of the rational self, which is subject to it. That is more or less what is advocated in the letters: Romans 7:6, 2 Cor 5:17, etc, though it happens much more readily if one regards science as a part of The World and not an exploration of God's Order.

My point being, many religious people are open to reason and their faith can be shaped by it (paradoxical as that might seem).

Fri, 26 Mar 2010 13:20:00 UTC | #452514