← Nate Phelps 'Returns to Topeka' Event

Nate Phelps 'Returns to Topeka' Event - Comments

chawinwords's Avatar Comment 1 by chawinwords

It is a shame I am so crippled in my back. If I was younger and in better health I would make the trip just to see the faces of the Topeka, Kansas crowd. A person can learn a lot by watching the faces of ordinary people during such a testimonial, including what Nate has already identified as child abuse by a minister/father.

Sat, 27 Mar 2010 01:11:00 UTC | #452850

Michael P.'s Avatar Comment 2 by Michael P.

I wonder if his family will be "picketing" the event; I wouldn't put it past them.

Sat, 27 Mar 2010 01:19:00 UTC | #452854

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 3 by InYourFaceNewYorker

Will there be a podcast?

Sat, 27 Mar 2010 01:21:00 UTC | #452856

wmenke's Avatar Comment 4 by wmenke

I live in Topeka, KS and I can't wait to see who actually shows up to this event.

Sat, 27 Mar 2010 01:37:00 UTC | #452860

ruydemag's Avatar Comment 5 by ruydemag

I admire Nate's bravery, I would probably be afraid that the WBC would "picket" at the event.

Shall I add "science be with you", fellow heathen?

Sat, 27 Mar 2010 01:49:00 UTC | #452865

William T. Dawkins's Avatar Comment 6 by William T. Dawkins

I'll try to make it there!

Sat, 27 Mar 2010 01:55:00 UTC | #452867

wmenke's Avatar Comment 7 by wmenke

It's quite sad, but as a person who lives in Topeka you get used to seeing the WBC "picketing". I have the joy of living about a mile from their church and the picket by the dog park I frequent every Saturday. I can't think of the last time I didn't see them at least twice within any given week standing on the street corners of a buys intersection. I'm sure they'll be picketing this event.

Sat, 27 Mar 2010 01:57:00 UTC | #452868

Mitch Kahle's Avatar Comment 8 by Mitch Kahle

I would hope WBC pickets outside, this should get national coverage.

Come on Keith Olbermann, or better yet, Anderson Cooper, this story calls for you guys. Eat 'em up!

Sat, 27 Mar 2010 02:53:00 UTC | #452876

timothygmd's Avatar Comment 9 by timothygmd

A nice example of a counter-meme.

Sat, 27 Mar 2010 03:05:00 UTC | #452879

timothygmd's Avatar Comment 10 by timothygmd

A nice example of a counter-meme.

Sat, 27 Mar 2010 03:08:00 UTC | #452880

keithapm's Avatar Comment 11 by keithapm

I don't think Nate can be praised or thanked enough for his courage in this regard.

Sat, 27 Mar 2010 03:30:00 UTC | #452885

Puppy Burner's Avatar Comment 12 by Puppy Burner

I can't believe anyone from that family with any shred of intelligence turned out sane (or didn't blow them away). Good on him.

Sat, 27 Mar 2010 03:59:00 UTC | #452890

Michael Gray's Avatar Comment 13 by Michael Gray

I look at it this way:
Atheism/Theism has reached a tipping point in the "Western" world.
Atheists now rightly determine that we have the support which can lead to our final rejection that we "get to the back of the bus".

Support which is in no small part the work of the RDF and the inter-toobz.

Nate is certainly brave, no question about that.
But he has the support of uncounted atheists behind him now.

The tide has turned.

Sat, 27 Mar 2010 04:04:00 UTC | #452891

glenister_m's Avatar Comment 14 by glenister_m

RE:Comment #473163 by timothygmd

It was interesting how they reacted to the reporter coming on to Fred Phelps Jr. Someone should organize a gay pride rally wherever they go to picket. It would create an interesting spectacle.

On a more serious note. I wonder how many members of the church are secretly gay. It would explain their anger and hostility.

Sat, 27 Mar 2010 04:23:00 UTC | #452897

boogerjames's Avatar Comment 15 by boogerjames

Wow, just saw this. So great. I'm there. If anyone is coming into town needs a couch to sleep on, send me an email: abramjlarson at gmail.com

EDIT: Will Richard be attending? I would really like to meet him, but Kansas is so far in the middle of nowhere I don't think he's ever come here before.

Sat, 27 Mar 2010 05:03:00 UTC | #452903

lewis.breland's Avatar Comment 16 by lewis.breland

This is bound to be an extraordinary story! I can't wait to see this...hopefully on DVD to own. It will be very exciting to hear this man speak!

Sat, 27 Mar 2010 06:04:00 UTC | #452915

Big T's Avatar Comment 17 by Big T

timothygmd: Thanks for the great video. Priceless! Thank goodness for that Australian man!

Sat, 27 Mar 2010 07:07:00 UTC | #452927

Big T's Avatar Comment 18 by Big T

I live about 65 or 70 miles from Topeka - I have never driven over there to see the mentally ill Fred Phelps or his deluded followers. Probably won't go see this either but I'm glad this man escaped that unfortunate situation. Wish him all the best, hope Pastor Fred and his followers regain their sanity.

Sat, 27 Mar 2010 08:08:00 UTC | #452941

Freshmanwave's Avatar Comment 19 by Freshmanwave

I wonder if the Westboro people will show up?

Sat, 27 Mar 2010 08:27:00 UTC | #452946

Net's Avatar Comment 20 by Net

why is it "lgbt"? what's wrong with "gbt"? and if "l" has to be part of it, why need it come first? when it comes to sexuality, two of the categories are hetero and homo. i don't see the heteros making any gender distinction. seems a bit divisive to me; and political.

Sat, 27 Mar 2010 09:16:00 UTC | #452953

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 21 by Stafford Gordon

Great stuff; all power to the man!

Sat, 27 Mar 2010 09:55:00 UTC | #452958

Szymanowski's Avatar Comment 22 by Szymanowski

To many, hetero and homo alike, "gay" refers only to homosexual men, not women, although perhaps there are regional differences. Thus the L in LGBT is intended to be inclusive, not divisive. It doesn't always come first, but one of the letters must. The spelling of "center" is no more reasonable...

Sat, 27 Mar 2010 09:57:00 UTC | #452959

Net's Avatar Comment 23 by Net

well then, to many, that is their problem. if they're that ignorant then saying "lesbian" isn't going to help; it'll just make them think that there's yet another category of sexuality. it makes no more sense that to run around saying, "i'm a male hetero" or "i'm a female "hetero". can't help thinking there's political mumbo jumbo going on here, and a little bit of opportunism.

Sat, 27 Mar 2010 10:05:00 UTC | #452961

Squigit's Avatar Comment 24 by Squigit

This is very brave. And you know WBC will picket the event or do something to try and discredit Nate--if they haven't already attempted that.
I wish I could be there but instead I'll await the video. Anxiously. (And thank you RDFRS for filming it for us.)

Sat, 27 Mar 2010 12:33:00 UTC | #452981

VanYoungman's Avatar Comment 25 by VanYoungman

Please assure adequate security. Those WBC people are pathological.

Sat, 27 Mar 2010 12:47:00 UTC | #452982

Corylus's Avatar Comment 26 by Corylus

Wow. Good on Nate.

... his mission to fix the laws that protect the perpetrators.
One of the best causes for action I can think of is trying to prevent certain types of people from harming the vulnerable in their care. Part of this cause can be helped by reminding the everyday public in towns (who would never dream of hurting children themselves) that there are others living amongst them who are without such scruples. Accordingly, we all need to keep an eye out for the children living near us.

Nate, if you're reading:

I truly hope you manage to put some ghosts to rest with this one. Remember to go easy on yourself both before, and after, this event. Also, be prepared for some things (and possibly some people) to be smaller than you remember them as being.

Sat, 27 Mar 2010 13:04:00 UTC | #452984

JSB2024's Avatar Comment 27 by JSB2024

Some US troops going to Iraq and Afghanistan have stated that if the WBC pickets their funeral, they would be ironically glad, because they are fighting to defend the right to freedom of speech of anyone including the WBC.

The problem I have is, what if the WBC ran the country? Would they respect the First Amendment and the rest of the US constitution, and the most basic human rights? Isn't their ideology not only hateful, but genocidal in nature? "Thank God for AIDS"? That's the kind of rhetoric that's spawned the Execution of Homosexuals Law in Uganda. We cannot tolerate those who would kill anyone who disagreed with them if they had the power and the resources.

Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:15:00 UTC | #452989

MarcCountry's Avatar Comment 28 by MarcCountry

Evidence of an attention-seeking gene?...

Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:18:00 UTC | #452990

huzonfurst's Avatar Comment 29 by huzonfurst

I lived in Topeka in 1976 and fortunately was unaware of these yahoos at the time. I did go over to Lawrence (where there is actually a University if you can believe that) to blend into a crowd of "Nixon Has Suffered Enough" supporters, including Bob Dole and his scary, lacquer-haired wife Elizabeth. These Republican Jugend all looked like cookie-cutter robots to me, wearing the same clothes and mouthing the same brainless slogans over and over. I finally had to break my cover and tell them what I thought of their disgraced hero, and it was like a bad movie when all the zombies turned on me and I had to back away slowly...

What the hell was I doing in Kansas? If you saw my girlfriend then you would know why ;>).

Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:55:00 UTC | #453003

Philster61's Avatar Comment 30 by Philster61

I am just amazed that Fred Phelps and the picketers are still walking after picketing the funerals of the brave soldiers.
If I was among any of those related to or having served with those that had been killed,I wouldnt think twice about shoving their pickets where the sun don't shine.

Sat, 27 Mar 2010 15:58:00 UTC | #453035