← Child abuse overshadows another scandal – the Church’s abuse of women

Child abuse overshadows another scandal – the Church’s abuse of women - Comments

Bernard Hurley's Avatar Comment 1 by Bernard Hurley

This is news??

Fri, 02 Apr 2010 12:02:00 UTC | #455232

Prankster's Avatar Comment 2 by Prankster

This is old news indeed; if not children, then the handicapped/disabled, if not them then the women (Magdalene Sisters and those appalling asylums in Ireland trusted with the welfare of "fallen" women immediately springs to mind). Now we have the concealment and exposure of the sexual abuse of Nuns.

The RCC never fails to depress and sicken me. This on top of the last couple of weeks' reports of clerical sexual abuse.......sickening. What a bunch of depraved fuckers.

Fri, 02 Apr 2010 12:17:00 UTC | #455234

Bernard Hurley's Avatar Comment 3 by Bernard Hurley

Comment #475786 by Prankster

This is old news indeed

Indeed there have been songs, stories, poems and plays about this subject since at least the time of Chaucer.

Fri, 02 Apr 2010 12:27:00 UTC | #455238

blaine's Avatar Comment 4 by blaine

Hitchens, you out there? I request a researched expose' to enlighten the masses (not just us skeptics) about this problem. One for Vanity Fair and one for the NY Times, please. :-)

Fri, 02 Apr 2010 13:14:00 UTC | #455250

Friend Giskard's Avatar Comment 5 by Friend Giskard

...victims of sexual exploitation by clergy often also suffer loss of faith...
Every cloud has a silver lining.

Fri, 02 Apr 2010 14:26:00 UTC | #455268

Aztek's Avatar Comment 6 by Aztek

#475803 by blaine:

Hitchens would sure the man for the job, once again. But again, where are all the women's rights activists?? Every time religions are accused of abusing women, those claiming to fight for women's rights stay silent. The same happens every time Islam is accused of oppressing women, for example when Ayaan talks about the abuse she had to endure. Not only do they stay silent, they usually stand up to defend religions. Those fiercely fighting for women's rights in western countries, turn into moral relativists and defend decisions based on religious belief, no matter how terrible the act.

It looks to be the case here too.

Fri, 02 Apr 2010 14:52:00 UTC | #455275

Bernard Hurley's Avatar Comment 7 by Bernard Hurley

Comment #475828 by Aztek

But again, where are all the women's right activists??

There are women's rights activists with in the RC church but they tend to focus on things like whether there should be women clergy.

Fri, 02 Apr 2010 14:57:00 UTC | #455276

Swordmaiden's Avatar Comment 8 by Swordmaiden

oooh..."syncronitcity"!I have just finished watching 'The Magdelane Sisters'....spooky!
True story apparenly and very disturbing. Just the tip of iceburg of course of the whole rotten picture.

Fri, 02 Apr 2010 16:30:00 UTC | #455290

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 10 by Stafford Gordon

The questin is will the RCC change; a rhetorical question of course.

Fri, 02 Apr 2010 16:46:00 UTC | #455295

Prankster's Avatar Comment 9 by Prankster

Sorry about this but to quote Hitler (of all people!) on the eve of invading Russia- "We only need to kick the door in and the whole rotten structure will come crashing down"

I think the scandals like this and others and their exposure means that this particular door has been kicked in. It may be slow and messy but I can see a day when this whole disgusting organisation falls and is flushed away like the turd it is.

I only hope I'm around to see it.

Edit-typing while eating a easter egg.

Fri, 02 Apr 2010 16:46:00 UTC | #455294

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 11 by KRKBAB

“The problem is known and involves a restricted geographical area."- Which would be defined as a 10 foot radius of any catholic priest.

Fri, 02 Apr 2010 16:51:00 UTC | #455297

MattHunX's Avatar Comment 12 by MattHunX

Just how many reasons can these despicable bastards can possibly give to make someone want to kill them.

Old news or not, the list just growing.

- Exploitation, sexual and physical abuse of thousands of children (deaf and other)and nuns.

- Allowing the deaths of millions from AIDS.

- Taking people's money and living in luxury while preaching that poverty is a virtue.

- Protecting pedophiles and their own reputation and church instead of victims.

- Placing themselves above the law and refusing to take responsibility.

Anyone want to continue the list...!?

Fri, 02 Apr 2010 17:02:00 UTC | #455299

Lake209's Avatar Comment 13 by Lake209

Apparently, child-abuse overshadows yet another scandal - the Church's abuse of Jews:

Fri, 02 Apr 2010 17:28:00 UTC | #455306

Dr Doctor's Avatar Comment 14 by Dr Doctor

And look how well that went.

Fri, 02 Apr 2010 17:50:00 UTC | #455307

fredmounts's Avatar Comment 15 by fredmounts

What a bunch of dumbasses. Yeah, Jews were persecuted. Hmmm, I wonder what kind of organization would promote such behavior???

Fri, 02 Apr 2010 17:53:00 UTC | #455308

chawinwords's Avatar Comment 16 by chawinwords

Read the scriptures -- evil women simply don't count for much.

Fri, 02 Apr 2010 18:15:00 UTC | #455312

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 17 by robotaholic

Of course women will be sexually abused in the Catholic Church. They're already mentally abused by the doctrine.

Fri, 02 Apr 2010 18:28:00 UTC | #455316

Bernard Hurley's Avatar Comment 18 by Bernard Hurley

Comment #475878 by robotaholic

And don't forget that the traditional punishment for these "evil seductresses" was to burn them as witches.

Fri, 02 Apr 2010 19:15:00 UTC | #455324

Rodger T's Avatar Comment 19 by Rodger T

The journalists name on this article ,has to be a pisstake , surely?

Fri, 02 Apr 2010 19:23:00 UTC | #455326

Bernard Hurley's Avatar Comment 20 by Bernard Hurley

Comment #475889 by Rodger T

The journalists name on this article ,has to be a pisstake

No he is real see:

Fri, 02 Apr 2010 19:41:00 UTC | #455332

LaurieB's Avatar Comment 21 by LaurieB

Aztec,

Where are all the women's rights activists?

Here's one:
http://www.butterfliesandwheels.com/infocusprint.php?num=31&subject=Women Under Theocracy

How about Ayaan Hirsi Ali? Ever read even one of her books? She has a new book due out in April that I can't wait to get my hands on.

How about Wafa Sultan? These Muslim women who have the guts to speak out against Islam are the bravest women I know. They've put their lives on the line to stand up for the rights of so many women who are afraid to make a peep in their own defense.

Aztec, when I was your age I spent my time reading all the feminist literature that was out in the 70's. I very quickly came to the conclusion that feminism was at odds with the Methodist church that I was forced to attend in my childhood and teens. Feminism led me straight to atheism as I have posted here before.

There are plenty of feminists to be found and especially in my age group, but how many atheist feminists are there? Sometimes I feel that we atheist feminists are in some rarified air. I suppose we're just not organised enough.

BERNARD HURLEY has a point that many feminists seem to devote themselves to promoting women's status in all of the big 3 religions. I've had this discussion with plenty of Christian women and every single Muslim woman that I ever met. All of these women declare that they are devoted to improving the lot of their Christian and/or Muslim sisters but when I bring up the role of religion in their oppression they slam the door shut on the whole conversation. It's very exasperating.

I never miss an opportunity to plant a seed of doubt with my church and mosque going friends. As we know, there are passages from both the Bible and the Koran that are downright disgusting and can't be defended at all.

Between asking religious women to answer for these writings and the media exposure of evil behavior of religious clerics I have to hope that this is all having some good effect.

Fri, 02 Apr 2010 19:57:00 UTC | #455335

Duff's Avatar Comment 22 by Duff

Friend Giskard,
You took the words right out of my mouth. Good one.

Fri, 02 Apr 2010 20:13:00 UTC | #455339

Corylus's Avatar Comment 23 by Corylus

Laurie B

There are plenty of feminists to be found and especially in my age group, but how many atheist feminists are there? Sometimes I feel that we atheist feminists are in some rarefied air. I suppose we're just not organised enough.
I have been researching a bit around the below recently.

It is rarefied, (and not necessarily atheistic - though majority of it must be) but I think it might be a home to me.

Fri, 02 Apr 2010 20:53:00 UTC | #455345

Bernard Hurley's Avatar Comment 24 by Bernard Hurley

Comment #475898 by LaurieB

I would add Maryam Namazie to the list. I heard her speak at a meeting at Conway Hall a while back. She was very impressive.

Fri, 02 Apr 2010 21:11:00 UTC | #455346

Dwain's Avatar Comment 25 by Dwain

LaurieB and Corylus

Will you expect to see or write a feminist perspective on the Sam Harris female attire segment of his recent speech at TED?

Fri, 02 Apr 2010 21:23:00 UTC | #455349

nairbe's Avatar Comment 26 by nairbe

One would hope that feminism would not be necessary in an atheist society as a state of natural equality would exist across the whole community. Yea ok, I'm a dreamer.
This article offers no surprises as we are talking of the catholic church here. The history of the church is one long continuous story of abuse excused by saying "that was in the past". They began by destroying the pagan societies, moved on to the crusades, swung into the inquisition, burning of witches and hate of jews, abuse of power, support of the fascists until they turned on them. The list goes on and on so why would we be surprised that for the last few hundred years they have destroyed indigenous cultures, abuse women, children and the venerable as well as used their position to influence government and economics. So who is the organised crime family, let's not forget they control a large percentage of the worlds prime property, have an extensive archive that is not available to the world and operate without accountability to the law. There really is no excuse for this organisation or their behaviour over 2000 years, but for some reason we forgive mass murder, kidnapping, child abuse, forced adoption, deprivation of liberty and torture, where to stop. The problem would appear to be our weakness in bring the catholic church to account for its behaviour, or are we leaving that to their god, you know the one that does not exist.

Fri, 02 Apr 2010 21:43:00 UTC | #455356

FrumWentz's Avatar Comment 27 by FrumWentz

The only religion that I know of that is even worse than the catholics is islam. Most catholic women have learned how to avoid the pitfalls. Few muslim women have ever had the chance. The deep dark dung pit of islam has no ladder and a rigid inflexible covering. Wouldnt you agree nairbe?

Fri, 02 Apr 2010 22:11:00 UTC | #455366

Alyson Miers's Avatar Comment 28 by Alyson Miers

There is a case in 1991 of a community superior in Africa being approached by priests requesting that nuns be made available to them for sexual favours. “When the superior refused, the priests explained that they would otherwise be obliged to go to the village to find women and might thus get AIDS.”

Not to mention that women in the village will eventually, inevitably, start sharing stories and word might get out that their priests aren't so celibate after all. If they're going to toss out their celibacy vows, they need to keep it in the Church.

Fri, 02 Apr 2010 22:13:00 UTC | #455369

Corylus's Avatar Comment 29 by Corylus

Dwain

LaurieB and Corylus

Well, I don't really understand what you mean by "Sam Harris female attire", but thinking about it, I reckon he has to be the most metro-sexual of the four horseman.

He has got to be the dude happiest in the pink shirt :P

Fri, 02 Apr 2010 22:19:00 UTC | #455371

SuzyP's Avatar Comment 30 by SuzyP

I believe the 'Sam Harris female attire' means his recent lecture at TED where he the veiling of women is a constant reference. It's on the TED website. And yes I would love to see a feminist reaction. I consider myself a feminist but I'm a feminist with bad writing skills.lol!

I am always puzzled by the tendency of liberals to get offended on behalf of Muslims, Catholics etc...

And as an Irish person I have witnessed the laundries first hand. My own grandmother, hours after giving birth, was taken to a laundry because she was not wearing a wedding band. She was in fact married but took the ring off as her fingers were retaining fluid in the later stages of pregnancy. She was there for a few days before her husband was able to locate a marriage certificate and retrieve her and during that time she was verbally abused and seperated from her baby. Small potatoes compared to the suffering of many women of course. And the church has never acknowledged these wrongs. But then again that's to be expected.

Fri, 02 Apr 2010 22:29:00 UTC | #455375