← Sunday Sacrilege: The silliest story ever told

Sunday Sacrilege: The silliest story ever told - Comments

Luke_B's Avatar Comment 1 by Luke_B

No word of a lie a friend recently (laughingly) told me about a leaflet he got through that door that said: Jesus died for your sins. Phone this number to find out how this can help you.

Genius

Off poit I have to mention another friend who saw a classic sign outside a church in Poole that said 'Global Atheist Day: 1/4/10'

Again, genius.

Sun, 04 Apr 2010 22:24:00 UTC | #455914

Pilot22A's Avatar Comment 2 by Pilot22A

My fav continues to be the weekly jaunt to the castle of pedophilia wherein one can eat the flesh and drink the blood of the dead guy.

Disgusting!

Sun, 04 Apr 2010 22:40:00 UTC | #455917

Saganic Rites's Avatar Comment 3 by Saganic Rites

Could somebody please explain how it is that the church KNOW that JC was born on 25/12/0000, yet the date of his crucifixion and subsequent ressurection seems to be set each year by throwing a dart at a year planner?

Sun, 04 Apr 2010 23:03:00 UTC | #455918

njwong's Avatar Comment 4 by njwong

BryanFisher,

I actually blogged about this some time ago:

Sun, 04 Apr 2010 23:18:00 UTC | #455919

Cook@Tahiti's Avatar Comment 5 by Cook@Tahiti

Was it Bertrand Russell that said something along the lines of "faith has all the advantage over reason that theft has over honest labour"

Sun, 04 Apr 2010 23:22:00 UTC | #455920

Aiser's Avatar Comment 6 by Aiser

Sun, 04 Apr 2010 23:27:00 UTC | #455921

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 7 by SaintStephen

Call me a militant atheist, but this excellent post was emailed straight to the Catholic parents as an Easter present. (Yes, it was most certainly a vicious, heartless thing to do, wresting their attention away from CSI-Miami and the Tri-Valley Herald...)

The jury is out on whether they'll actually get through it or not.

Sun, 04 Apr 2010 23:29:00 UTC | #455922

sara g's Avatar Comment 8 by sara g

I think I will politely wait until Easter is over before I send this to my Christian friends. Let them enjoy their bunnies and eggs.

Sun, 04 Apr 2010 23:33:00 UTC | #455924

Saganic Rites's Avatar Comment 9 by Saganic Rites

re; post #6; This is really starting to get disgusting. Atheist go on a massive campaign against Christianity mocking it. Then they go on a disgusting diatribe against holidays. Then they hijack x-mas claiming it has no Christian roots and yet still celebrate it? You keep demanding for equal time and respect, but you know respect is earned. Not demanded or forced.

How can one NOT mock the whole ridiculous charade that is religion, it sets itself up so well!
Also, I think you'll find that Christianity hijacked the existing Pagan mid-winter rituals so as to cause the least disruption whilst converting the 'heathens'; converting by force, if my history books are correct!

Sun, 04 Apr 2010 23:41:00 UTC | #455925

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 10 by SaintStephen

The Pat Robertson weather report:

A perfectly dreary, cold, rainy, fully miserable day greets Easter Sunday in Northern California. (Jesus purportedly had the squirts from eating too much chocolate and won't be making an appearance this year.)

All Easter egg hunts are thus ordered indoors by the Papal Bunny.

That is all.

Sun, 04 Apr 2010 23:50:00 UTC | #455928

Crazycharlie's Avatar Comment 11 by Crazycharlie

njwong-

I checked out your link and blog. Excellent.

An understanding of early Christianity will answer any questions a thoughtful person will have about 'The Church' today. Reading Bart Ehrman's books, "Jesus Interrupted" and " Misquoting Jesus" answers many of those questions. These two books are must reads.

Mon, 05 Apr 2010 00:06:00 UTC | #455929

Quine's Avatar Comment 12 by Quine

Comment #476502 by SaintStephen:

Yes, it is really coming down here. Fortunately, that doesn't disturb my annual observance with "Life of Brian" on the DVD.

Mon, 05 Apr 2010 00:14:00 UTC | #455930

gumby gumby's Avatar Comment 13 by gumby gumby

God is so real as the Easter Bunny.

Mon, 05 Apr 2010 00:32:00 UTC | #455933

quarecuss's Avatar Comment 14 by quarecuss

I can't feckin believe I used to accept most of this Christian Crap! Ridicule is such a great way to beat it, to recruit doubters by making them laugh at themselves.

Mon, 05 Apr 2010 00:41:00 UTC | #455934

wildhog's Avatar Comment 16 by wildhog

Personally, I disagree.

I feel that "Noah's Ark" is the silliest story ever told.

But I respect the author's beliefs. ;-)

Mon, 05 Apr 2010 00:58:00 UTC | #455940

bluebird's Avatar Comment 15 by bluebird

April 4 - Magnolia blossoms opened in the warm sun, Mercury & Venus shimmer in the western sky, carp are spawning, STS 131 is fixin' to blast off.

BTW, great article PZ :D

Mon, 05 Apr 2010 00:58:00 UTC | #455939

Saganic Rites's Avatar Comment 17 by Saganic Rites

Noah's Ark, now there is a story!
One schoolday, when I was about 12 or 13, I tied up a whole R.E. lesson with questions about this tale, such as;
'How big was the boat, considering the amount of animals he had to take, the food supplies for said beasts, etc?'.
'How did Noah manage to prevent the population of smaller, fast-reproducing animals from getting out of control?'
'How did he manage to round up all of these animals?'.
and my personal favourite;
'How did he manage to get the animals from Australasia, America etc, when the continents weren't discovered for another 5000 years or so?'
I refused to accept that 'it was the work of god', and dared to suggest that an almighty god would have found a far simpler way of doing his smiting. The result, 6 strokes of the cane for 'blasphemy', in front of the whole school at morning assembly.

Mon, 05 Apr 2010 01:15:00 UTC | #455943

Bernard Hurley's Avatar Comment 18 by Bernard Hurley

I can't believe so many people have the affrontary to mock the Easter Bunny. I bet some of you even doubt the existence of the tooth fairy!

Mon, 05 Apr 2010 01:32:00 UTC | #455946

severalspeciesof's Avatar Comment 19 by severalspeciesof

Well, I celebrated this silly Easter story by not going to church...

I've finally outed myself as an atheist to my immediate family...

In all honesty, it felt a bit strange...

But I'll get over it... :)

Mon, 05 Apr 2010 01:37:00 UTC | #455948

Ron Millam's Avatar Comment 20 by Ron Millam

3. Comment #476492 by BryanFisher on April 5, 2010 at 12:03 am

Ten years ago, I ranted on this 'til I was blue in the face. There was no "year 0000".
The calendar we go by today went from "one BC" to "one AD" instantaneously, WITHOUT an intervening 12-month period! There was no "year zero," no matter what the sci-fi genre says.

(Sorry for the rant - at the time, I worked in computer systems design. When people were running around screaming that a "Millennium Bug" would crash all computers on 1/1/2000, I calmly pointed out that the millennium wouldn't end for another year. These people would then stop and look at me, quietly, for a couple of seconds.... then run off screaming that a "Millennium Bug" would crash all computers on 1/1/2000! The whole episode left me with a complex.)
=================================

Anyway, to get back on topic.......

JC was born October 1, 1924 in Plains, Georgia. And it was during his Presidency (1977 - 1981) that he was crucified. He eventually came back from the dead and I believe he's still heavily involved in Habitat for Humanity. OK? I hope this settles the argument.

=======================================
edited to include the following:

Seriously -- is there any way we could have this same PZ Myers article published every Easter? Maybe, eventually, it could become a tradition, rather like the "Yes, Virginia, There Is A Santa Clause" thing. The idea gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling (or maybe its from too many chocolate eggs......).

Mon, 05 Apr 2010 01:57:00 UTC | #455952

zengardener's Avatar Comment 21 by zengardener

6. Comment #476495 by Aiser

but you know respect is earned. Not demanded or forced.

Do you mean like, "Worship me or burn in eternal Hellfire.",

That kind of "earned" respect?

Mon, 05 Apr 2010 02:02:00 UTC | #455953

Dave Porter's Avatar Comment 22 by Dave Porter

wildhog;

I agree that the Ark fable is the silliest story. Jesus rising at easter is just a person coming out of a trauma induces coma. Same as Lazarus being raised from the "dead". Getting millions of organisms on a small ship, providing food for the herbivores, meat without killing the other animals for the carnivores, etc, now that takes brilliant storytelling!

Mon, 05 Apr 2010 02:18:00 UTC | #455958

Sindeus's Avatar Comment 23 by Sindeus

In honour of this great pagan festival it appears the "almighty" decided to bestow the gift of a 7.2 earthquake on Northern Mexico and SoCal...can't wait to hear what we did to deserve his attention on such a prominent day of the year.

Mon, 05 Apr 2010 02:23:00 UTC | #455959

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 24 by SaintStephen

19. Comment #476525 by severalspeciesof on April 5, 2010 at 2:37 am

I've finally outed myself as an atheist to my immediate family... In all honesty, it felt a bit strange...
You shouldn't have included the part about eating babies and feeding cyanide-laced Vanilla Wafers to the swans. That never sits well with religious folk.

P.S. Congrats!

Mon, 05 Apr 2010 02:33:00 UTC | #455961

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 25 by SaintStephen

17. Comment #476518 by BryanFisher on April 5, 2010 at 2:15 am

And what about the "long waddle south" to Antarctica by all those penguins? Richard himself remains puzzled by this peculiar conundrum.

Mon, 05 Apr 2010 02:39:00 UTC | #455963

wildhog's Avatar Comment 26 by wildhog

BryanFisher,

>The result, 6 strokes of the cane for 'blasphemy', in front of the whole school at morning assembly.

Wow, thats heavy!

Mon, 05 Apr 2010 03:06:00 UTC | #455964

Philster61's Avatar Comment 27 by Philster61

"I'm Brian and so is my wife"

Mon, 05 Apr 2010 04:07:00 UTC | #455972

bruceeverett's Avatar Comment 28 by bruceeverett

If anyone wants a take on an Australian context surrounding this year's Easter, what with recent attacks on atheists by church leaders giving their Easter address, I'm hoping this post I've authored may be useful.

The dross that they're spreading seems so pathetic as to be harmless - at least in Australia. Perhaps this kind of sermon would incite more animus in the US?

Mon, 05 Apr 2010 04:09:00 UTC | #455973

Traytheist's Avatar Comment 29 by Traytheist

This article reminds me of my response to "Jesus died for your sins". No, he gave up a long weekend, BFD!

Mon, 05 Apr 2010 04:57:00 UTC | #455977

Pete.K's Avatar Comment 30 by Pete.K

They don't KNOW, because they made it up, just like the entire bible.

The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336AD in the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine (he was the first Christian Roman Emperor). A few years later Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on the 25th December.

This date was chosen because the Winter Solstice and the ancient Pagan Roman midwinter festivals called 'Saturnalia' and 'Dies Natalis Solis Invicti' took place in December.

Pagans had celebrations on the winter solstice, with rituals like present giving and celebration meals, so if you wanted to tempt pagans over to Christianity a good marketing idea is to offer them a similar self indulgent festival.

Many of the trapping of Christmas are Pagan in origin, the yule log, holly wreath, the decorated tree.

Mon, 05 Apr 2010 05:59:00 UTC | #455980