← Fulton, Mississippi: Skeeviest town in America

Fulton, Mississippi: Skeeviest town in America - Comments

Stylemaster's Avatar Comment 1 by Stylemaster

Got to be another april fools!

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 00:29:00 UTC | #456534

Kmita's Avatar Comment 2 by Kmita

Wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't.

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 00:36:00 UTC | #456537

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 3 by Cartomancer

This is utterly outrageous. I balk at the mere thought of living among such vile people. It's hard to know where to begin expressing my disgust.

How did they think they'd get away with it?

Part of me hopes that Constance McMillen gets the hell out of that dump and leaves the whole sordid lot of them behind. But that's not a solution - there will only be more vulnerable LGBT people (and people with learning disabilities too) who suffer at the hands of these people after her. Something needs to be done to burn out this culture of exclusion and hatred from the dark places in the world, and it needs to start with the younger generation.

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 01:19:00 UTC | #456553

Fuller's Avatar Comment 4 by Fuller

Makes me sick, but thats a sensation I'm pretty used to these days.

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 01:26:00 UTC | #456555

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 5 by mordacious1

I posted an article about this on the "ACLU Apologizes to AHA" thread yesterday, where no-one saw it, so I was glad to see that PZ was all over it this morning. Constance handled this well by saying that the half-dozen kids at the fake prom still had a good time...let the lawyers and the media dish out the negative stuff.

What would have been great is if the kids that went to the "real" prom, had grabbed a partner of the same sex and danced until they got tossed, then gone to the fake prom. They would have taught the parents something, but it appears the kids at this school are as ignorant as the parents.

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 01:39:00 UTC | #456557

jackal's Avatar Comment 6 by jackal

Way to bring KS back to the 1950s.

[edit: image not working]

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 02:40:00 UTC | #456569

RMIV's Avatar Comment 7 by RMIV

Mississippi....making Texas look good since 2010.

In the words of Dirty Harry "Well, that's mighty white of you."

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 02:46:00 UTC | #456570

Philster61's Avatar Comment 8 by Philster61

M-M-_M iss-ss-ss-ss-ipp-pp-ppi.
Where your mother might be your auntie.

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 02:51:00 UTC | #456572

pyjamaslug's Avatar Comment 9 by pyjamaslug

Agreed, and while it might not seem so from this episode, it is being burned out, and the younger generation (bless their cotton socks) are doing it, much more so in America than in the UK.

Now, granted, I live in California but San Diego is a perfect place to observe the fault lines in American society, lying as it does in a sort of mosh pit of all the different social currents.

We have the largest concentration of Mormons outside of Utah, a large and very active gay community, the usual Socal narcissists and huge numbers of Kansas/Louisiana expats courtesy of the naval and marine bases here. An interesting mix indeed when added to the (self appointed) native californians (brown people don't count).

So in my town of Poway, we have fundamentalist parents sending their children to school wearing provocatively messaged teeshirts aimed at gay pupils, resulting in a huge backlash from the vast majority of the rest of the student body. They have certainly absorbed and understood the inclusionary message which is a standard feature of the school system here, to the extent that they have exceeded their parents' capacity to support it. A wonderful result, and one which lends us all hope for the future.

Peter

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 03:23:00 UTC | #456578

DeepFritz's Avatar Comment 10 by DeepFritz

The secretive nature of this beggars belief, especially in today's digital post it on your myspace, twitter or facebook world...

In Australia - all you have to do is invite the world to your party... And we will all turn up!

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 03:25:00 UTC | #456579

Philster61's Avatar Comment 11 by Philster61

There might be a glimmer of hope in Texas after all. Congratulations Professor Hawking.

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 03:36:00 UTC | #456581

William T. Dawkins's Avatar Comment 12 by William T. Dawkins

Think I'll move to Australia! Gotta watch out for the Eastern Groin Gropers though.

I think this would be very traumatic for the kids involved. I'd find a good attorney myself!

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 03:39:00 UTC | #456582

pyjamaslug's Avatar Comment 13 by pyjamaslug

Think I'll move to Austrailia! Gotta watch out for the Eastern Groin Gropers though.

Back in my home town, it was the Whitley Bay Muff Divers Association we had to watch out for!

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 03:51:00 UTC | #456583

William T. Dawkins's Avatar Comment 14 by William T. Dawkins

Richard, Mentioned the gropers in his interview there. Not sure if they are fact or fiction.

Gday!

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 03:59:00 UTC | #456584

pyjamaslug's Avatar Comment 15 by pyjamaslug

A quick googling reveals that Bill Bryson is a humorous novelist with a snake phobia.

I can see how a groin groping snake might excite some of his more primal fears (although investigation of the 'eastern' aspect might be rewarding)

So I tend to the fiction hypothesis.

Peter

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 04:23:00 UTC | #456587

Joe Henderson's Avatar Comment 16 by Joe Henderson

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 04:50:00 UTC | #456590

TheVirginian's Avatar Comment 17 by TheVirginian

I really hope the federal judge is so pissed off that he smacks these "good Christians" who run the county schools with a heavy penalty for contempt of court and big damages for this courageous young woman. I'm not sure she should leave Mississippi, however.

First, young people in that state needs a good role model like her. Second, the South won't improve if all the good people leave. When I worked in Jackson, Miss., in the mid-1970s, many of the young people I knew were so much different from the bigoted older generation. (Admittedly, I was in a newspaper newsroom, where the education level was higher than the state average, and newspaper work requires a more tolerant attitude if you want to do your job.) But the changes were visible in the Jackson at that time, however slow they were in coming.

These "good Christians" in Itawamba County are caught in a historical trap, like an eddy in a stream that won't let them go with the flow and enter the 21st century. Unless its residents change, the county will lose ground and become an impoverished, unhealthy backwater.

Which is why I actually feel pity for the majority of the students, who went to a big prom while a small group of their classmates were lured to a fake prom. The majority have been brainwashed by bigoted parents, school personnel and, of course, their clergy and Sunday school teachers. The young bigots will soon find themselves living in a world that is changing in ways they've been taught to hate. They'll find that being homophobic bigots carries an increasingly-heavy price. They will find increasing rejection in their lives, from society, from employers, from the law (I'm being optimistic here, but I think our laws are (too) slowly moving in the right direction.) They've been filled with hatred from infancy that will make them increasing outcasts in a society that won't tolerate their pathological, Christian beliefs.

So be angry at how a large group of young people cooperated in sick intolerance. But feel sorry for them too. In the long run, they will pay a heavy price for this.

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 05:05:00 UTC | #456594

TIKI AL's Avatar Comment 18 by TIKI AL

"But feel sorry for them too. In the long run, they will pay a heavy price for this."

Yes, 1,000 years from now I believe Jeebus will sleep with the Thors.

Who knows, by then John Lennon may be the new Christ and more popular as HE pointed out.

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 05:28:00 UTC | #456597

Oromasdes1978's Avatar Comment 19 by Oromasdes1978

Ah that's good - teach the kids about alienation and bigotry why don't you?

I am disgusted, utterly digusted - I agree with Cartomancer, something needs to be done for the younger generation to get them out of this mess.

Everyone at that school who knew this girl surely must have known she was gay?

So all these kids go to school with her every Monday to Friday where apparently she is being gay and scarring young people's minds for life - right?

Wrong, absolutely wrong. So what is the difference between attending school with her and going to a school prom with her?

What makes me even more sick is that they did this with full knowledge this was going to leak out into the media where people are now judging them across the world for the stupidity they have committed. They are so thick skinned and bigotted with religion fuelling their every spiteful action that they went ahead and did this anyway.

Disgusting.

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 05:45:00 UTC | #456601

sara g's Avatar Comment 20 by sara g

They are probably feeling honored that the media are displaying how they stood up for themselves against the activist courts and the uppity sinners. I am sickened by people who are proud of their ignorance.

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 05:50:00 UTC | #456602

pyjamaslug's Avatar Comment 21 by pyjamaslug

Cut the young people some slack. they are not necessarily bigoted or homophobic; they almost certainly feel sympathy for Constance McMillan, they simply are not equipped to deal with the tsunami which has hit them as a result of this young woman's assertion of her right to free association. The blame and shame lies with their parents, not with them.

I fully sympathise with their wish to have a prom which matches their expectations. They are still wearing the training wheels of life, not expecting their parents harsher realities to intrude. I don't blame them for accepting the offer of a 'problem free' prom, although I can't imagine many of them will have done so free from a nagging sense of guilt. Young adults can be like that: thoughtful and empathetic.

Unlike some commenters here.

Peter

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 06:49:00 UTC | #456612

TheVirginian's Avatar Comment 22 by TheVirginian

Not sure if TIKI AL is agreeing or disagreeing with me. He/she is not coherent on this. In case anyone is confused, which should not be possible given some of my comments, I am revolted by the vile bigotry of the adults and despise the students' acquiescence in this BS. But the children are as much victims of their parents' and the Evil Witchdoctors' brainwashing as they are perpetrators. I hope at least some of the kids can escape their Borg Assimilation. Those who don't are doomed to live in a world they have been taught to fear and hate. I don't condone what they are, but I pity them. They're like the Hitler Youth who were taught to hate non-Aryans. It can be difficult to escape that mindset.

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 06:58:00 UTC | #456614

Bernard Hurley's Avatar Comment 23 by Bernard Hurley

Comment #477196 by Philip1978

What limited experience I have of people like this suggests that they live in their own little "bubble" and are not really aware or concerned about what people outside their bubble actually think. On the other hand they tend to be a bit paranoid and so any leak of this would be seen as something instigated by outsiders who had it in for them anyway and are just using the prom fiasco as an excuse.

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 07:09:00 UTC | #456619

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 24 by Stafford Gordon

Wilful cruelty; right up religion's street!

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 07:23:00 UTC | #456624

Oromasdes1978's Avatar Comment 25 by Oromasdes1978

pyjamaslug

The young people are being taught that it is ok to alienate and ostracise people who are being made to look "different" - that has to stop.

This kind of thinking is where the main problem lies - Awww poor little teenagers have to come to terms with reality! They are 18 years old - they are about to go into universities and colleges all around America where there are going to thousands of more lesbians, homosexuals, bi-sexuals, transgender - you name it, they will encounter it - there should be nothing to be afraid of. They should be able to accept it but instead your suggestion is to keep them blinded from this - how is that going to teach them anything but bigotry and ignorance?

Sorry - what precisely is the "problem" here anyway? The only problem I can see are stupid dogmatic bigotted adults who under the virus of their religion making a mountain out of a molehill about someone being gay. Worse still, they want to control it and shame this poor girl into thinking there is something wrong with her when there is nothing wrong at all.

They should be feeling very guilty right now - I say that is precisely what they need - they have got to learn that this sort of behaviour is dangerous - good on this girl for keeping her head up over all this - I know some people who have been driven to suicide over behaviour like this, it is truly frightening.

What kind of message do you want to send out to the gay people of this world, especially the young ones?

I know what message I want to send out and that is one of acceptance and equal rights - I do not want to be made to look superiour just because I am hetero.

Bernard Hurley - good point, I also think they love the attention of being shamed like this - heck, that is one of the central teachings of their stupid magic book!

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 07:31:00 UTC | #456626

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 26 by Jos Gibbons

All they had to do was let everyone go to the same prom in any pairings born of their mutual consent, but no. Instead, this situation keeps getting more absurd with every week.

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 07:46:00 UTC | #456632

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 27 by Tyler Durden

@pyjamaslug -

The training wheels of life? Don't they come off along with the training wheels on your bike?

When exactly are these teenagers going to show some respect and dignity for their fellow students - and human beings? You can only blame their parents for some of this, the rest is their problem - personal responsibility, conscience, sense of moral duty.

Some of these people are old enough to vote, they are no longer children tied to mommy's apron strings.

Would you be defending their "training wheel" mentality if the excluded students were black?

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 08:25:00 UTC | #456638

hungarianelephant's Avatar Comment 28 by hungarianelephant

Might I express some optimism here?

No one was lynched for being gay.
No one was assaulted for being gay.
No one was broken down in cross-examination and jailed for being gay.
A young woman in a school in a Christian heartland feels sufficiently confident to invite her girlfriend to the school prom.
PZ's samples, all 5 of them, are pretty tame stuff. If "rug muncher" is the worst epithet you hear all day, I'd say you spent it indoors.
The school and the parents are being portrayed in public as idiots.

I'd say that's progress.

If anything, the most troubling part of the story is the exclusion of the two students with learning difficulties. But I guess we don't particularly want to talk about that.

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 09:16:00 UTC | #456648

Apathy personified's Avatar Comment 29 by Apathy personified

hungarianelephant,

Indeed, I wonder what the story behind that is.

Although I completely disagree with what they high schoolers said - Is anyone here surprised that some teenagers wrote something vile on the internet?

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 09:41:00 UTC | #456653

gos's Avatar Comment 30 by gos

Man, this is a made-for-TV movie in the making(-for-TV).

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 10:01:00 UTC | #456659