← TGSOE #22 on NYT Best Sellers List

TGSOE #22 on NYT Best Sellers List - Comments

SoHelpMeReason's Avatar Comment 1 by SoHelpMeReason

It raised an eyebrow from me.

"Well--yeah..." I got, after a thoughtful moment.

Thu, 28 Oct 2010 14:44:03 UTC | #539425

Axeman33's Avatar Comment 2 by Axeman33

Comment 1 by SoHelpMeReason :

Congratulations! Bravo! How exciting. I hope it's selling to the creationists--they truly need it! As for the rest of us, well, it's a good read even if you don't need convincing--I'm going through it myself at the moment. Very interesting! Good job, Mr. Dawkins, on yet another fabulous book. I recently talked to a young friend of mine (in middle school I believe she is) and she was describing to me how she'd read 6 of 7 books in a series, but stopped at the last one and didn't go farther because it was "too atheist for me". She seemed proud, like she was protecting god.

It raised an eyebrow from me. I told her, kindly of course, (without announcing my own atheism, I don't want her parents fuming at me and it's not my place to impose) "If you truly have faith, and nothing's going to shake it--why not? Wouldn't make a difference, yes?"

"Well--yeah..." I got, after a thoughtful moment.

I have tried to give copies of TGSOE to some Xian friends and they want no parts of it. I show's to me how week and fragile their beliefs really are. Of course they usually come back with "OK but you have to read the bible" and thats when I can tell them that I already have and that was the clincher for being atheist.

Thu, 28 Oct 2010 15:15:33 UTC | #539443

Fouad Boussetta's Avatar Comment 3 by Fouad Boussetta

2 or 22?

Thu, 28 Oct 2010 15:41:00 UTC | #539461

crookedshoes's Avatar Comment 4 by crookedshoes

I have a student who, last year as a junior was a "head down" unimpressed failing kid. We have a 22 minute reading period embedded in our school day. I fought with him every day to get him to read. "READING SUCKS" was his attitude. I threw him my copy of the God Delusion and it changed his life. He had no idea that there were people in the world who felt like him, much less books dealing with the topic. This year, as a senior, he comes by my class to tell me what is going on in his life. He is on the dean's list. He has read over ten books this past year. He plans to go to college. Thank You.

Thu, 28 Oct 2010 15:43:12 UTC | #539462

nickthelight's Avatar Comment 5 by nickthelight

I am confused; is it 2 or 22?

Thu, 28 Oct 2010 16:01:30 UTC | #539473

emactan's Avatar Comment 6 by emactan

It was at #17 last week: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/31/books/bestseller/bestpapernonfiction.html?ref=bestseller

Thu, 28 Oct 2010 16:08:42 UTC | #539480

Anaximander's Avatar Comment 7 by Anaximander

The more people who are exposed to it, the better.

Would it the be better to put it in the Fiction category? Because many more people like to read fiction than nonfiction. (At least that seems to me to be the case, though a have not studied the case.)

Thu, 28 Oct 2010 16:15:15 UTC | #539482

Anaximander's Avatar Comment 8 by Anaximander

I am confused; is it 2 or 22?

Maybe it is number 2 in the Extended list (which starts from 21.) I think this is a kind of joke (the Extended Phenotype.)

Thu, 28 Oct 2010 16:18:35 UTC | #539485

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 9 by InYourFaceNewYorker

Is there any new/changed material in the paperback edition?

@crookedshoes Wow, I'm impressed that the kid's parents didn't bitch at you for steering the kid toward The God Delusion. Or are his parents atheists too? Or do they not know?

And Richard, way to go! :)

Comment 4 by crookedshoes :

I have the hardback edition and keep it in my class room as "reference" material. I'll be getting a couple of the paperbacks for lending purposes. The more people who are exposed to it, the better. Richard, way to go. With The Ancestor's Tale beside it, the best resource for learning and teaching Biology available. Quite an accomplishment. You have written three of my favorite books of all time and changed many people's lives.

Thu, 28 Oct 2010 17:26:02 UTC | #539519

crookedshoes's Avatar Comment 10 by crookedshoes

In your face new yorker (julie), I am not sure that the parents ever found out. He read the book only in my classroom and (because the book is dear to me) I do not let it out of the room. I get the impression that these parents would not bitch me out but I have a funny anecdote:

I was in my class room after school one day and a stranger came in (a student i didn't know) and picked a fight with me about creation. I listened to her rant and then asked her "so you believe that woman was made from man's rib?" . She replied "NO," I was like "that's what the Bible says".... After a few more exchanges like this one i said to her "sweetie, you may be a very very smart young lady but you really do not know what you are talking about when it comes to evolution OR CREATION.....I suggest you read your bible."

Next thing I know i am in the Principal's office and i have a screaming nutball of a parent telling me "how dare you....how dare you...." I calmly said how dare i what????? I suggested that your daughter read her Bible. What problem do you have with that? She yelled herself out and left telling me she was going to the newspaper. I can still see the headline LOCAL BIOLOGIST SUPPORTS EVOLUTION YET ENCOURAGES KIDS TO READ THEIR BIBLE

I would have been mortified!!!! lol.

Thu, 28 Oct 2010 17:37:44 UTC | #539525

El Bastardo's Avatar Comment 11 by El Bastardo

No. 17 according to that link, though it's dated 22nd Oct.

Thu, 28 Oct 2010 17:51:25 UTC | #539530

El Bastardo's Avatar Comment 12 by El Bastardo

ARGH! I just made the mistake of reading the review on that site.

If a theory by nature is liable to change, it cannot be considered absolutely true.

When I hear rubbish like this I'm oft tempted to point out that Gravity is "only a theory" and if anyone would like to wander up to the roof to test it, they're more than welcome.

Then he comes out with this doozey

he (Dawkins) has let himself slip into being as dogmatic as his opponents. He has become the Savonarola of science, condemning the doubters of evolution as “history- deniers” who are “worse than ignorant” and “deluded to the point of perversity.” This is not the language of science, or civility. Creationists insist evolution is only a theory, Dawkins that it’s only a fact. Neither claim is correct.

Every one is wrong, but I have no alternative theories or ideas, can't we all be nice and get along? Ouch, sitting on this fence is giving me splinters in the.... sheesh.

Thu, 28 Oct 2010 18:03:43 UTC | #539540

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 13 by rod-the-farmer

SoHelpMeReason.....

What were the books she read six of 7 and then stopped, (if I read you correctly) because the 7th was atheistic ?

Thu, 28 Oct 2010 18:37:03 UTC | #539551

Anaximander's Avatar Comment 14 by Anaximander

That seems to mean that it is both a theory and a fact. Isn't that exactly what Dawkins has said?

Wait. It is not true that (It is only a theory and only a fact.) So it is either (a theory and a fact) OR nothing. Is that right?

Thu, 28 Oct 2010 19:19:10 UTC | #539566

Ryou Concord's Avatar Comment 15 by Ryou Concord

I'm glad they included my favorite picture from TGSOE. It always makes me laugh. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/11/books/review/Wade-t.html

Thu, 28 Oct 2010 20:10:27 UTC | #539586

SoHelpMeReason's Avatar Comment 16 by SoHelpMeReason

@rod-the-farmer

I'm not sure, it was some sci-fi mystical type series. She's really into that kind of thing. I wouldn't be silly to suspect that it had dragons in it too. I can ask.

Fri, 29 Oct 2010 01:58:46 UTC | #539690

Dr Doctor's Avatar Comment 17 by Dr Doctor

Hmmm I wonder whom it is dedicated to?

Fri, 29 Oct 2010 04:38:22 UTC | #539716

lynda's Avatar Comment 18 by lynda

Congratulations Richard! Well deserved!

Fri, 29 Oct 2010 05:18:18 UTC | #539721

k_docks's Avatar Comment 19 by k_docks

Comment 1 by SoHelpMeReason

I would like to thank Dawkins for totally convincing me that creation is true! If this book contains the overwhelmingly convincing evidence for evolution (that could all change with new discoveries) then I am afraid that somehow I totally missed it, could someone please tell me what page it is on?

Comment 2 by Axeman33 I have tried to give copies of TGSOE to some Xian friends and they want no parts of it. I show's to me how week and fragile their beliefs really are.

So evolution is worth dying for? Christianity is!

Science, how great it could be if it didn't have the millstone of evolution aound it's neck!

Fri, 29 Oct 2010 05:37:06 UTC | #539724

Netsrak's Avatar Comment 20 by Netsrak

@ k_docks

Science, how great it could be if it didn't have the millstone of evolution around it's neck!

Didn't you mean...Science how great it would be if it fitted into my fairytale world view.

Would that perhaps be a more accurate ?

Fri, 29 Oct 2010 06:14:44 UTC | #539726

MilitantNonStampCollector's Avatar Comment 21 by MilitantNonStampCollector

What a great book! I gave it to my former evolution-denying uncle and overnight (well, it was a few days) he accepted evolution and now he owns all of Richard's books LOL. I got him hooked on RD.

Fri, 29 Oct 2010 07:08:33 UTC | #539734

Degsy's Avatar Comment 22 by Degsy

Congratulations Richard. I am currently re-reading TGSOE. Last night I read the chapter 'Before our very eyes' before bed. The description of Lenski's work with E. coli is absolutely awesome. If only biology textbooks (on any subject) were written with such clarity and poise. I wonder if the Prof. has ever been approached to aid in doing so?

Fri, 29 Oct 2010 08:50:57 UTC | #539756

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 23 by Tyler Durden

Comment 19 by k_docks :

@k_docks -

How do you think science researches and develops antibiotics, vaccines, and antiviral pharmaceuticals?

Fri, 29 Oct 2010 09:16:16 UTC | #539760

mmurray's Avatar Comment 24 by mmurray

Comment 19 by k_docks :

Humanity, how great it could be if it didn't have the millstone of religion around it's neck!

Michael

Fri, 29 Oct 2010 09:52:45 UTC | #539769

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 25 by Tyler Durden

Comment 24 by mmurray :

Comment 19 by k_docks :

Michael

Lads,

It's "its", not "it's" ;)

Fri, 29 Oct 2010 10:04:05 UTC | #539774

El Bastardo's Avatar Comment 26 by El Bastardo

@k_docks -

I would like to thank Dawkins for totally convincing me that creation is true!

I've looked at your other posts, you were that dumb/deluded before hand, shame you haven't seemed to have learned anything.

Start with page 1, go from there. Though, yes, it could change with new discoveries, it hasn't yet. 150 years of new discoveries and nothing but more evidence to back it up. As the good professor himself has oft said, it is vunerable to being disproven, but not one jot of evidence has yet appeared to do so.

Fri, 29 Oct 2010 10:10:42 UTC | #539778

Anaximander's Avatar Comment 27 by Anaximander

It's "its", not "it's" ;)

No, it should have been: "Science, how great it could be if it didn't have the millstone of evolution around. It's neck!"

(Missing no longer.)

Fri, 29 Oct 2010 11:39:35 UTC | #539808

Anaximander's Avatar Comment 28 by Anaximander

The book does not contain the evidence; the book tells, where the evidence is.

Or actually, the book does contain some evidence, too. Because it could not have appeared to the world, if we did not evolve from the primitive cells, that were the only living things billions of years ago.

Fri, 29 Oct 2010 11:45:35 UTC | #539810

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 29 by Tyler Durden

Comment 28 by Anaximander :

Comment 19 by k_docks

The book does not contain the evidence; the book tells, where the evidence is.

Coming Soon

Transitional fossil and a beaker of live bacteria with every copy of The Greatest Show on Earth.

Fri, 29 Oct 2010 12:12:27 UTC | #539817

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 30 by SaganTheCat

Congratualtions Richard

it's good to know that people in america are buying this

@crookedshoes

awesome story, well done!

k_docks

So evolution is worth dying for? Christianity is!

no ones stopping you