← An interesting admission

An interesting admission - Comments

jel's Avatar Comment 1 by jel

don't forget, the church is MUCH more important than justice! let's hope this bill goes through without dilution and quick.

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 11:38:00 UTC | #458386

MarkOnTheRiver's Avatar Comment 2 by MarkOnTheRiver

Oh£ Why are they worried£ Do they have a gang of septuagenarian child molesters tucked away somewhere in the bosom of the Connecticut church£

It's harder to believe now, that they actually might not have. . . . oh who am I trying to kid!

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 11:44:00 UTC | #458390

Ron Millam's Avatar Comment 3 by Ron Millam

The bishops' letter ... said that the majority of cases would be driven by "trial lawyers hoping to profit from these cases."

For as long as I can remember, I've thought that trial lawyers are nothing more than a school of vicious barracudas, feeding off the misery of others. But now -- if there's a chance they'll play a part in bankrupting the RCC -- I'm changing my tune. Oh, they're still vicious barracudas, but now I'm OK with that.

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 12:39:00 UTC | #458411

DocWebster's Avatar Comment 4 by DocWebster

It's no lie. Lawyers can be vicious, knuckle-dragging, underhanded, sneaky, "lower than a snake's belly", and all other creepy names you can think of. I wouldn't have a lawyer working for me who wasn't because I know the one I'm fighting will be. Never hire a lawyer who you would invite to your home for dinner. That being said I can almost start to feel a trickle of pity for the innocent members of the clergy when this law passes and other states follow suit as you know they will.

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 12:54:00 UTC | #458420

Bernard Hurley's Avatar Comment 5 by Bernard Hurley

Oh dear they may have to sell off a few chalices, or even a few churches. That would be no bad thing they often make great concert halls.

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 13:17:00 UTC | #458435

JSB2024's Avatar Comment 6 by JSB2024

I would love to have church property collectivised and used for something useful, like concert halls, homeless shelters, or movie theatres.

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 13:40:00 UTC | #458448

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 7 by Ignorant Amos

Connecticut's three Roman Catholic bishops?...yes, you've guessed it....GET IN THE FECKIN' SACK!

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 14:08:00 UTC | #458468

MAJORPAIN's Avatar Comment 8 by MAJORPAIN

OMG! I so totally did not see that coming! These guys stand up for the weak and repressed, right? They're the champions of the poor, the...ok, I can't do it anymore...sigh

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 14:20:00 UTC | #458474

canatheist's Avatar Comment 9 by canatheist

don't forget, the church is MUCH more important than justice!

Unfortunately, for the true believers and those for whom the church is their livelihood, the sanctity of the Church is much more important than justice.

This has nothing to do with justice, it's simple self-preservation for the clergy. Like most things in life, it all comes down to dollars, and this just exemplifies how the church is only cares about the interests of the church.

There should be no pity for the church and no clemency for the clergymen involved, not matter how long ago.

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 14:35:00 UTC | #458480

TheLordHumungus's Avatar Comment 10 by TheLordHumungus

So much for, "Sell the Vatican, feed the world." I guess now it is, "Sell the Vatican to pay our legal bills." It's sad... those priests were really having a good time.

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:05:00 UTC | #458504

VanYoungman's Avatar Comment 11 by VanYoungman

If I'm not mistaken, the constitutuinal Ex Post Facto ban would prevent Connecticut from making the law retroactive.

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 16:21:00 UTC | #458535

Tsingi's Avatar Comment 12 by Tsingi

Movie title: A Connecticut Bishop in child molesters court.

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 17:16:00 UTC | #458560

zengardener's Avatar Comment 13 by zengardener

If the crime is committed after the law is changed, then there is no limitation.

If the limitation has already past, then the criminal will still be immune.

What about the crimes that have been committed and yet the limitation has not past?

The penalty of the crime has not changed, only the duration for which they must avoid justice.

No matter. The idea that there ever was a statute of limitations on such a crime is appalling.

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 17:23:00 UTC | #458563

GamerFromJump's Avatar Comment 14 by GamerFromJump

You could make a case that since conspiracy is an ongoing crime, the clock hasn't started yet, at least for that.

Although, "crimes against humanity" have no SofL, by convention. I'd say a pattern of child rape under cover of authority qualifies.

Standard disclaimers, IANAL, apply.

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 17:33:00 UTC | #458570

Peacebeuponme's Avatar Comment 15 by Peacebeuponme

How many 70 year old's are there in Connecticut who are minded to pursue frivolous sex abuse claims against the church.

The Church's argument seems flimsy at best. They know full well that the only real cost to them will be from cases that do actually have legs.

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 17:52:00 UTC | #458573

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 16 by Stafford Gordon

We who contribute to this wonderful website have got to be careful, all of us, even the most exalted, about what we say; we proceed on the basis of evidence; a posteriori, NOT, a priori, and I think the latter is beginning to creep in.

Integrity is fundamental; please be careful folks.

I hope I don't sound too pompous, but it's very important secularists don't overstep the mark and leave themselves open to charges of victimization.

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 19:07:00 UTC | #458594

alaskansee's Avatar Comment 17 by alaskansee

@ stafford gordon

good point, not pompous, although slightly confusing - perhaps you could post an example?

in specific regard to the Catholic church, it seems that almost anything bad, heinous or worse could be attributed to them now without fear of being wrong......

An admonishment from a careful poster last week has already been superseded by some of the popes ancient correspondence.

It's sometimes very hard to talk about these maters without someone coming to the defence of the frocked yet they seem completely indefensible to the conscious/awake/watching/not deluded.

It is hard to believe that Catholicism still exists!

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 20:16:00 UTC | #458623

Ophelia Benson's Avatar Comment 18 by Ophelia Benson

Gee, what does this remind me of...

Oh yes! The Bush administration's demand that US soldiers be exempt from the International Criminal Court!

No you see it's perfectly reasonable, because otherwise, US soldiers might be subject to prosecution if they committed war crimes. Same with the church. If that law were passed, then some priests might be prosecuted even for child rape they committed several years in the past. Who could possibly disagree with that?

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 20:52:00 UTC | #458637

Alternative Carpark's Avatar Comment 19 by Alternative Carpark

I'm sure that the Vatican has plenty of cash to cover legal fees.

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 23:55:00 UTC | #458674