← We Can't Let the Pope Decide Who's a Criminal

We Can't Let the Pope Decide Who's a Criminal - Comments

Mr DArcy's Avatar Comment 1 by Mr DArcy

Ah now what's for breakfast tomorrow? In cockney ryhming slang "holy ghost". In plain English "toast".

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 20:04:00 UTC | #458617

Zenozzograte's Avatar Comment 2 by Zenozzograte

[quote]
is a planned campaign ... to discredit the church.
[/quote]

Seems to me the Church is doing quite well on its own. Discrediting itself, I mean ;)

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 20:17:00 UTC | #458624

NewEnglandBob's Avatar Comment 3 by NewEnglandBob

Christopher Hitchens gets it exactly right.

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 20:29:00 UTC | #458629

DWLehning's Avatar Comment 4 by DWLehning

"a planned campaign ... to discredit the church."

As far as I am concerned, the RCC was discredited centuries ago! This latest issue of sex abuse is one of many of this wicked institution's crimes against humanity over the centuries.

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 20:29:00 UTC | #458630

stevencarrwork's Avatar Comment 5 by stevencarrwork

Refuse to call them 'Your Holiness', 'Your Eminence' 'Your Grace' or 'Father'.

Calling His Holiness by his Christian name 'Joseph' would be an act that the Catholic Church would never tolerate.

They like their self-imposed titles of grandeur.

Not only are their beliefs like the Emperor's New Clothes, but they are not even entitled to the titles they give themselves.

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 20:44:00 UTC | #458635

Raiko's Avatar Comment 6 by Raiko

Well, Joseph, how does it feel being near the end of your life with such guilt on your shoulders, knowing people and history books may just end up calling you 'the pedophile pope' for the rest of human existence? I would neither want to live nor die with that on my conscience. And if I was sharing your belief, I'd be very, very scared of my judgement...

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 21:09:00 UTC | #458642

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 7 by Diacanu

stevencarrwork-

No, even "Joseph", is too respectful to the old buzzard.

"Joey Rats", all the way.

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 21:22:00 UTC | #458643

Mr. Forrest's Avatar Comment 8 by Mr. Forrest

@ diacanu:

I prefer Darth Ratzinger, Pedo-pope or a simple "hey, fuckface!" myself, but Joey Rats is a good one, makes you think of some two-bit thug, which is right around the level of respect he deserves anyway.

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 21:37:00 UTC | #458651

Dennis Sisterson's Avatar Comment 9 by Dennis Sisterson

"Joey Rats" I like! I shall use it at every opportunity.

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 21:40:00 UTC | #458653

Luke_B's Avatar Comment 10 by Luke_B

Great article from Hitchens. Straight and to the point. And one that actually lives up to it's title, as opposed to the recent Times article :-)

As for the discussion about the pope's title, I have to say that I quite like Joey Rats! It has slime ball written all over it. Somewhat fitting for a guy that wins the title of most evil looking fuck that I can think of.

As an additonal, (sorry everyone, I know I'm being pedantic here) but I noticed Hitchens use of the American 'center' spelling. I couldn't help wondering if it's a conscious decision while writing for an Amercian website or whether as part of his embrace of America he uses American spelling as standard? Being such a fan of the English language I can't imagine he would have done this unconsciously. I'll keep an eye out!

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 21:50:00 UTC | #458656

dochmbi's Avatar Comment 11 by dochmbi

I like the title His Holiness, because it creates a nice irony when combined with this child rape case.

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 22:36:00 UTC | #458664

The Schuermannator's Avatar Comment 12 by The Schuermannator

Joey Pope-ufuoco.

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 22:53:00 UTC | #458666

NonStampCollector's Avatar Comment 13 by NonStampCollector

Bring it on. The downfall of the catholic church in our lifetime. I admit, I am truly, truly taking delight in the hardships that that stinking organization is currently suffering and only hope that their problems increase. Thanks for your efforts on this one RD (and CH).

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 23:30:00 UTC | #458670

Philoctetes                                        's Avatar Comment 14 by Philoctetes

"Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone risked new controversy by claiming that paedophilia was linked to homosexuality.

"Many psychologists and psychiatrists have shown that there is no link between celibacy and pedophilia but many others have shown, I have recently been told, that there is a relationship between homosexuality and paedophilia," he told a news conference in Santiago."

Perhaps I can help Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone to see a link: "Celibate" priests have admitted to buggering young boys and some have even been sent to prison for it.

What is it with the RCC and complicating simple issues with their sophistry?

The Intelligent Design enthusiasts tell us life is so complicated that QED "goddoneit"

Those that support rationalism, science and critical thinking are more impressed with (to quote John Gribbon) "Deep Simplicity"

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 23:33:00 UTC | #458671

david k's Avatar Comment 15 by david k

"There will be only one SUBJECT of conversation until Ratzinger calls off his visit, and only one SUBJECT if he decides to try to go through with it. In either event, he will be remembered for only one thing long after he is dead."

Felow British comrades; make sure that the world here's this "SUBJECT" loud and clear!

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 23:58:00 UTC | #458675

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 16 by aquilacane

2 million Canadians know someone sexually assaulted by priest: Poll

Link won't bloody work

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 00:07:00 UTC | #458679

LWS's Avatar Comment 17 by LWS

"At least two million Canadians personally know someone, a friend, relative or acquaintance, who has been sexually assaulted by a Roman Catholic priest, suggests a new national poll."

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/million know someone abused priests Poll/2875219/story.html

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 00:38:00 UTC | #458681

TheVirginian's Avatar Comment 18 by TheVirginian

I prefer to call the old goat Rat Zinger, using the pause to make people (well, us older types) think of the Nixon team term: Rat (Bleep-er)! Only someone who would fornicate with rats would tolerate the rape of children, then blame the victims, scream about persecution, blame homosexuals, blame everyone but, you know, the people who raped children and the higher-ups who covered up the crimes.
Rat Zinger! Rat Zinger! Rat Zinger! Nixon in a dress!!!

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 00:55:00 UTC | #458687

Styrer-'s Avatar Comment 19 by Styrer-

Hitchens is on the money as usual, as is Dawkins in his various pieces over the last few weeks, in denouncing the vicar of christ on Earth. However they've decided to play this - with Dawkins claiming it was Hitch's idea and downplaying his own contribution, and the Hitch downplaying Dawkins' role, and his own, in the above piece - I am absolutely ecstatic about the two foremost atheistic voices unifying in such an unequivocal way. There will surely be bills to pay to the two fine solicitors prepared to take on this case.

I would welcome a mechanism, devised by RD.net or by Hitchens' own website presence, wherever that may be, to permit contributions to the fund. I'd offer confidently that other members would feel the same.

I'd call it vicarious redemption if it were not so absolutely sure to piss off Christopher. Vicarious participation might be closer to the mark.

Best,

Sean Tyrer

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 01:00:00 UTC | #458688

Born2Burn's Avatar Comment 20 by Born2Burn

The "Christ-like" thing for him to do would be to sacrifice himself for the sins of his church. Crucify the arrogant bastard...figuratively that is.

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 01:01:00 UTC | #458689

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 21 by Diacanu

Nah, literally.

Naked and upside down during the halftime show of the Superbowl.

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 01:09:00 UTC | #458691

MarcCountry's Avatar Comment 22 by MarcCountry

Nah, I say we just hire David Prowse to chuck his Palpatine-lookin' ass down a reactor shaft.

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 01:25:00 UTC | #458694

Quine's Avatar Comment 23 by Quine

The US press is still going easy on Darth Rat. This is one situation where the idea of the relatively low percentage of non-believers in the population makes a difference. You can't come out and say that the Pope's a bad guy. Why? Because you just can't, that's why.

Look at this soft-ball reporting today in the New York Times:

We get slightly stronger stuff here in California, but not much:

Of course, there are plenty of stronger views in the blogosphere, but it really does fall upon us, non-believers, to stand up and tell the world that religion has fooled us into granting status and authority to someone who is simply very successful at selling snake oil. The believers will not do it, even if in another religion, because they live in glass houses and know deep down that bringing up the subject demonstrates hypocrisy.

Dog speed, RD & CH.

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 02:06:00 UTC | #458698

MarkSmith's Avatar Comment 24 by MarkSmith

Wait!l I've had a sign, and I now think we should respect the pope. I saw a virgin Mary in a turd. No wait, now it looks like RatIngrr. False Alarn :\

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 03:11:00 UTC | #458711

Styrer-'s Avatar Comment 25 by Styrer-

Comment #479327 by Quine on April 13, 2010 at 3:06 am

Extremely well said, Quine. Thank you.

Sean Tyrer

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 03:40:00 UTC | #458721

Michael Gray's Avatar Comment 26 by Michael Gray

I would far rather that people got used to referring to the Pope as: "The Prisoner at the dock".

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 03:54:00 UTC | #458723

beanson's Avatar Comment 27 by beanson

Personally I would appreciate an opportunity to apply dairy produce first hand vis a vis Ratzinger and could wish for less opposition to the September visit

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 04:59:00 UTC | #458732

tarrek's Avatar Comment 28 by tarrek

I'm not sure CH has his facts right here.
He says that the Oakland diocese should have called the police rather than write to the Vatican.

As far as I can tell, the police were already aware of this man and he had already been convicted and sentenced to 3 years probation.

Of course, there is no question that the Vatican should have defrocked him instantly. But, in this awareness campaign, we really have got to stick closely to the facts and not give the Vatican an inch of room.

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 05:09:00 UTC | #458733

blakjack's Avatar Comment 29 by blakjack

stevencarrwork: "We could always commit the ultimate act of vengeance against the Catholic Church. Refuse to call them 'Your Holiness', 'Your Eminence' 'Your Grace' or 'Father'."

I would NEVER give any religious leaders terms of address other than the polite Mr, Ms, etc. I would love to see politicians do the same.

Memo to ask my parliamentary candidates how they would address the Pope. “Good morning Mr.Ratzinger” or “Good Morning Your Holiness”?

Jack

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 06:49:00 UTC | #458744

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 30 by Stafford Gordon

Wow! Things are warming up.

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 06:53:00 UTC | #458745