← Rally on the Steps of the Texas Capitol

I'll be there.

Thu, 15 Apr 2010 01:58:00 UTC | #459608

Jomei's Avatar Comment 4 by Jomei

Wish I could make it.

Thu, 15 Apr 2010 02:10:00 UTC | #459609

Freshmanwave's Avatar Comment 5 by Freshmanwave

I wish you the greatest success possible.

Thu, 15 Apr 2010 02:51:00 UTC | #459614

huzonfurst's Avatar Comment 6 by huzonfurst

How about (with a hip-hop rhythm):

Word to all the Christian masses,

Shove your crosses up your asses!

SIDEWAYS!!!!!!!!

If that doesn't get their attention you can always blast the 2 Live Crew "Me So Horny" album at them ;>).

Thu, 15 Apr 2010 03:11:00 UTC | #459622

JuJu's Avatar Comment 7 by JuJu

I hope everyone who can will make it. I've been following this Texas Education crap just like all you others. And I'm really pissed off at the whole frigg'n thing. Somebody hold up a sign for me, maybe one saying (Evolution: The Greatest Show on Earth, The Only Game in Town.) See how they like them apples,those morons.

Thu, 15 Apr 2010 03:19:00 UTC | #459623

hypnoticbob's Avatar Comment 8 by hypnoticbob

I certainly hope this is a very successful event. It is absolutely necessary to defend truth and properly prioritized inclusions. I, also, would have liked to have been there.

Thu, 15 Apr 2010 03:26:00 UTC | #459625

the pudding's Avatar Comment 9 by the pudding

"TEXAN MINISTRY OF TRUTH"

Thu, 15 Apr 2010 03:27:00 UTC | #459626

Justin Vasquez's Avatar Comment 10 by Justin Vasquez

I'll be there. I somehow made it through the Texas school system with my skeptical inquiry intact.

Thu, 15 Apr 2010 03:29:00 UTC | #459628

Stella's Avatar Comment 11 by Stella

I'll be there, too.

I am not swine, thanks.

Thu, 15 Apr 2010 03:36:00 UTC | #459631

GodlessHeathen's Avatar Comment 12 by GodlessHeathen

9. Comment #480267 by the pudding on April 15, 2010 at 4:27 am
"TEXAN MINISTRY OF TRUTH"

Bwahahaha! ^_^

Thu, 15 Apr 2010 03:51:00 UTC | #459633

TheVirginian's Avatar Comment 13 by TheVirginian

This is off-topic for this thread, but seems to be the best place to post this. I hope atheists and evolution defenders in the U.S. will pick up on this.

A right-wing, creationist, anti-nontheist bigot won a Pulitzer Prize this week. Kathleen Parker, a newspaper columnist, got the commentary award. I think she's now with the Washington Post, but in August 2005 she was with the Orlando Sentinel when she wrote a column in which she wanted to play "devil's advocate" to defend a Bush statement that was interpreted to mean he wanted creationism (as ID) taught in schools. She argued for teaching the "debate" between scientists and IDiots. She simply ignored the entire scientific position on evolution to promote the non-existent "debate."

In the process, she made the following vicious remark: "Atheists, secularists and others whose aversion to religion sometimes borders on fanaticism — ‘there’s no dogma like no dogma’ — see in Bush’s remark a subversive move toward replacing Darwin’s theory of evolution with a creationist view of man’s origin.” Given some other things she wrote, she probably thinks this is a clever rebuke of people who don't believe in gods because we don't believe in gods (or leprechauns, the tooth fairy, etc.)

Needless to say, I think the Pulitzers for commentary just collapsed into junk-bond status.

Thu, 15 Apr 2010 04:25:00 UTC | #459638

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 14 by Stafford Gordon

Children must, at all costs, be protected from these inexcusably moronic antediliuvian ideas.

I'm in Blighty so can't be there; the very best of luck to all!!

Thu, 15 Apr 2010 06:58:00 UTC | #459655

sixxsix's Avatar Comment 15 by sixxsix

I'm in the UK as well guys so, unfortunately, I can't be there but good luck to you all and, as somebody who works in education, I know how important it is to protest about these backward ideas possibly coming into the classroom.

Thu, 15 Apr 2010 07:36:00 UTC | #459661

TehSpamMan's Avatar Comment 16 by TehSpamMan

If i could join you i would but im in the UK. I wish you the best of luck and i hope ill be able to read more about it in upcoming weeks.

Thu, 15 Apr 2010 07:41:00 UTC | #459664

Carl Sai Baba's Avatar Comment 17 by Carl Sai Baba

I don't like any of the suggested slogans.

How about,
"John Calvin was an Asshole"

Thu, 15 Apr 2010 07:53:00 UTC | #459666

mitch1138's Avatar Comment 18 by mitch1138

"Fight the good fight" as it were.
my friends today made fun of me being athiest.

Thu, 15 Apr 2010 08:14:00 UTC | #459670

angkorman's Avatar Comment 19 by angkorman

I wish I could make it but I live in Ireland. Peaceful protests like this are very important for raising public awareness but you have to do a lot more to get the laws or the personnel of the Board of Education changed. Is there also a parallel campaign to lobby the state government? I only ask this because I fear the Board, having already displayed their ignorance, might just ignore the protest and plough ahead with the curriculum changes.

As much as I resent the agenda of Christian fundamentalists in education, some of their tactics have been quite effective. By this I mean persistent lobbying of public figures, recruitment of like-minded politicians, consistent presence in main-stream media. I do not for one second endorse the indoctrination of the young with half-truths, the misrepresentation of genuine academic work or the manipulation of religious fervour to achieve political goals.

I applaud the organizers of this protest but the fact that one is needed is evidence that the fundamentalist lobby has been allowed to get too far. If they've already managed to change the curriculum, the protest could be a case of closing the barn after the horse has bolted. I wish you every success with this and if I can do anything from my small island, let me know.

Thu, 15 Apr 2010 08:33:00 UTC | #459676

ridelo's Avatar Comment 20 by ridelo

Inherit the wind!

Thu, 15 Apr 2010 08:36:00 UTC | #459678

bluebird's Avatar Comment 21 by bluebird

Thu, 15 Apr 2010 09:35:00 UTC | #459696

Roger Stanyard's Avatar Comment 22 by Roger Stanyard

by angkorman asks

Yes. It's run by a first class organisation called the Texas Freedom Network. Well worth a visit to its web site.

Thu, 15 Apr 2010 10:00:00 UTC | #459702

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 23 by KRKBAB

17. Comment #480309 by RightWingAtheist - That's not a bad slogan (John Calvin was an asshole). Here's one: "Protect children from the Vatican and Texas". American Evangelicals would cringe at being linked to the Vatican- protestant fundies think of catholics practically as the spawn of Satan.

Thu, 15 Apr 2010 10:37:00 UTC | #459708

The Plc's Avatar Comment 24 by The Plc

Best of luck to the secularists in the US, you can me inspired by the recent victory for secularism in Ireland.

Thu, 15 Apr 2010 10:59:00 UTC | #459714

geocretin's Avatar Comment 25 by geocretin

"Reality Is Not Christian, It's Objective"

Good luck to Texas and the US on this. I'm pullin' for ya. We're all in this together!

Thu, 15 Apr 2010 11:56:00 UTC | #459727

Bomias's Avatar Comment 26 by Bomias

I'll be there with my two kids.

Thu, 15 Apr 2010 12:02:00 UTC | #459732

angkorman's Avatar Comment 27 by angkorman

@Roger Stanyard
I just had a look at the Texas Freedom Network's website. Thanks for the tip. http://www.tfn.org/site/PageServer

Thu, 15 Apr 2010 13:12:00 UTC | #459768

dinc12964's Avatar Comment 28 by dinc12964

I've lived in Texas my entire life. This is just embarrassing. I'm going to postpone my plans and make a trip to Austin instead. Ugh.

Thu, 15 Apr 2010 13:54:00 UTC | #459796

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 29 by Agrajag

11. Comment #480272 by Stella on April 15, 2010 at 4:36 am

I am not swine, thanks.

It was not you to whom I was referring. :-)
Steve

Thu, 15 Apr 2010 19:25:00 UTC | #459943

atheistlock's Avatar Comment 30 by atheistlock

Knowing Christopher Hitchens love and respect for Thomas Jefferson, it would be fantastic if he would speak at the rally in person. I will be there.

Thu, 15 Apr 2010 19:53:00 UTC | #459959