← NASA's Fermi Telescope Finds Giant Structure in our Galaxy

Anvil's Avatar Comment 1 by Anvil

The Fart of God!

Anvil.

Wed, 10 Nov 2010 14:19:37 UTC | #545209

Bumpy's Avatar Comment 2 by Bumpy

The testicles of God!

• Turns out God is a man!
  • Wed, 10 Nov 2010 15:21:38 UTC | #545240

God fearing Atheist's Avatar Comment 3 by God fearing Atheist

I'm trying to figure out why they are spherical.

Wed, 10 Nov 2010 15:50:50 UTC | #545256

Atheist Mike's Avatar Comment 4 by Atheist Mike

Comment 1 by Anvil :

The Fart of God!

Anvil.

Ah! About time we got a sign from him :-)

Wed, 10 Nov 2010 15:51:29 UTC | #545257

bluebird's Avatar Comment 5 by bluebird

energy source behind these huge bubbles

Lawrence Welk on steroids?

This is today's feature on APOD link text

Wed, 10 Nov 2010 15:53:26 UTC | #545258

alaskansee's Avatar Comment 6 by alaskansee

Cool, does this mean that large magenta bubbles are present in many or all galaxies? Does this help explain anything we were missing before?

Dam science just more questions!

Careful Bumpy that's a controversial subject here, I mean gender not god.

Wed, 10 Nov 2010 15:56:49 UTC | #545259

gos's Avatar Comment 7 by gos

@God fearing Atheist:

I'm trying to figure out why they are spherical.

Gravity?

Wed, 10 Nov 2010 15:59:40 UTC | #545260

God fearing Atheist's Avatar Comment 8 by God fearing Atheist

Comment 7 by gos :

Gravity?

But not attracted to each other, the galactic black hole, or the stars in the galactic plane?

Wed, 10 Nov 2010 16:03:45 UTC | #545262

DamianIcely's Avatar Comment 9 by DamianIcely

Science... it works bitches!

Wed, 10 Nov 2010 16:08:34 UTC | #545268

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 10 by Steve Zara

Does look very much like the consequence of an eruption from the central black hole. There's no need for us to worry - matter and radiation would be sent out largely perpendicular to the plane of the galaxy.

Wed, 10 Nov 2010 16:27:52 UTC | #545278

Iniqui's Avatar Comment 11 by Iniqui

The magenta is false color - the actual light is not visible. The structure must be very faint or we'd have known about it for decades. I’m not an astronomer, but I think it’s probably little more than a shadow of something that happened a long time ago.

Wed, 10 Nov 2010 16:33:47 UTC | #545281

Anvil's Avatar Comment 12 by Anvil

Comment 4 by Atheist Mike

Comment 1 by Anvil :

The Fart of God!

Anvil.

Ah! About time we got a sign from him :-)

Isn't it!

Just don't strike a match!

Anvil.

Wed, 10 Nov 2010 16:37:55 UTC | #545283

Axeman33's Avatar Comment 13 by Axeman33

I can see the headlines "Fingerprints of God found in our solar system". Once the discovery of it's origins are found, it'll already be too late.

Wed, 10 Nov 2010 16:48:29 UTC | #545288

legal9ball's Avatar Comment 14 by legal9ball

It's a Kardashev Type III civilization's generator.

Wed, 10 Nov 2010 17:18:01 UTC | #545302

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 15 by Tyler Durden

"One thing is for certain: there is no stopping them; the ants will soon be here. And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords." - Kent Brockman

Wed, 10 Nov 2010 17:34:08 UTC | #545306

rrh1306's Avatar Comment 16 by rrh1306

"as a trusted news person. i can be useful in rounding up people to toil in there underground sugar mines" also Brockman

Wed, 10 Nov 2010 17:44:31 UTC | #545313

rrh1306's Avatar Comment 17 by rrh1306

your right. its a good thing the jets are blowing out in the direction they are. those gamma ray bubbles are huge.

Comment 10 by Steve Zara :

Wed, 10 Nov 2010 17:48:42 UTC | #545315

rrh1306's Avatar Comment 18 by rrh1306

i believe current thinking is that there are super massive black holes at the center of most galaxies. i bet the milky way is not the only galaxy with this phenomenon. that shape is weird though.

Wed, 10 Nov 2010 18:00:42 UTC | #545320

ZenDruid's Avatar Comment 19 by ZenDruid

I'm reminded of a certain double-globular nebula, I forget its designation.

Wed, 10 Nov 2010 18:27:34 UTC | #545345

Rob Schneider's Avatar Comment 20 by Rob Schneider

How much of that image is "as imagined." ??

I mean, the FERMI telescope doesn't have a position in space so far away that the entire milky-way is imaged, and with a wide angle lens capable of capturing a 50,000 light year height?

It's this kind of fabricated, artists-rendering, and the one of Gliese 581 (the new "Goldilocks" planet) is called)that can lead to credibility gaps with the general public: "Oh, you mean that picture the scientists published on day one of the discovery isn't really a picture? They lied to us, again?"

Wed, 10 Nov 2010 18:32:53 UTC | #545350

glenister_m's Avatar Comment 21 by glenister_m

Comment 19 by ZenDruid

"I'm reminded of a certain double-globular nebula, I forget its designation"

If you were thinking of this: http://www.cnes.fr/automne_modules_files/standard/public/p2673_467b467cc3e7ac9d44e6282b5446f302supernova.jpg

I was thinking the same thing.

I like the galactic jet idea. Of course I had the "D'uh" moment when I thought about this possibility. ie. Many galaxies have jets. The milky way probably had one in the past. What kind of evidence would the jet have left?

Wed, 10 Nov 2010 18:48:08 UTC | #545363

Flapjack's Avatar Comment 22 by Flapjack

From my pre-GCSE level understanding of physics, aren't gamma rays the radiation generated inside microwave ovens? I'm thinking it's less like a "Fart of God" and more like a giant celestial TV dinner. That's not "rotating around the sun", that's the glass revolving plate! Shouldn't we be concerned? I mean after just 5 minutes in my microwave everything is limp and scalding hot, and we're smack bang in the middle of this one. I need someone to explain...

Wed, 10 Nov 2010 19:05:29 UTC | #545375

God fearing Atheist's Avatar Comment 23 by God fearing Atheist

Comment 20 by Rob Schneider :

How much of that image is "as imagined." ??

... Anyone else not like the image for its obvious fakery? I know we have to tell a compelling story, and images are compelling... but..?

I share your concern. That is an artists impression, from a viewpoint ~200,000 light years away, using false colour. The image should be labelled as such.

Comment 22 by Flapjack :

No. See. Microwaves have longer wavelengths than visible light. Gamma rays have very much shorter wavelengths than visible light. Normally found naturally on earth as the product of gamma radioactive decay, and artificially by scientists playing at high energy physics, or politicians detonating hydrogen bombs.

Wed, 10 Nov 2010 19:25:58 UTC | #545383

DamnDirtyApe's Avatar Comment 24 by DamnDirtyApe

... goodness gracious great balls of radioactive death!

Wed, 10 Nov 2010 20:13:19 UTC | #545396

Logicel's Avatar Comment 25 by Logicel

Right, this image needs to be labeled explaining how it is doctored.

bluebird, you made my day!

Comment 5 by bluebird :

energy source behind these huge bubbles

Lawrence Welk on steroids?

This is today's feature on APOD link text

Wed, 10 Nov 2010 20:36:32 UTC | #545401

DeepFritz's Avatar Comment 26 by DeepFritz

There is a lot of people who ask why haven't we found ET yet? Well have a look at the size of these things, and we just found them yesterday?!

Wed, 10 Nov 2010 20:56:47 UTC | #545412

alaskansee's Avatar Comment 27 by alaskansee

Rob S, my thoughts exactly, in my profession if you provide an image that is actually a diagram you legally have to make that clear, some additional notes required...

Wed, 10 Nov 2010 21:03:27 UTC | #545415

Anaximander's Avatar Comment 28 by Anaximander

It looks like the orbital diagram for one of the states of a hydrogen atom.

Wed, 10 Nov 2010 21:22:35 UTC | #545421

Ryou Concord's Avatar Comment 29 by Ryou Concord

Does anybody know if all black holes 'crap' gamma rays out of the top? Or is this something characteristic of super massive black holes like the one thought to be at the center of all spiraling galaxies like our own?

Wed, 10 Nov 2010 22:12:29 UTC | #545447

Letsbereasonable's Avatar Comment 30 by Letsbereasonable

Comment 20 by Rob Schneider

I concur. Everything you see these days is computerised fakery. Something passably interesting is discovered fifty billion light-years away and suddenly Cosmos Story 3 comes to a space flight center near you. The shops will be full of linked gamma balls by Christmas. I wish they'd stop it.

Wed, 10 Nov 2010 22:12:43 UTC | #545448