← Get Richard Dawkins on TV in the States!

Get Richard Dawkins on TV in the States! - Comments

Tary Moon's Avatar Comment 1 by Tary Moon

Good idea. I've seen most of Dick's docs and they are thoroughly enjoying and enlightening - and often very funny too.

By the way I hate to come off like a grammar Nazi but you have a typo in the article.

Sun, 14 Nov 2010 16:21:51 UTC | #547299

DocWebster's Avatar Comment 2 by DocWebster

I always found the early stuff a bit stiff in presentation but the information was always fascinating. I'm glad that he finally relaxed into the assured presenter he is today because there are still to few dynamic presenters of scientific ideas. Here in the US you have to grab people's attention and hold it with an iron fist or the next explosion makes your audience go ADOS ( Attention Deficit.... oooooooooh shiny) and some of the early lectures are not enough to hold the average American's attention.

Sun, 14 Nov 2010 16:39:53 UTC | #547309

cheesedoff17's Avatar Comment 3 by cheesedoff17

DocWebster

These days, Americans are not the only people in the world to views these channels. I've signed and hope the petition garners a lot of support.

Sun, 14 Nov 2010 19:56:50 UTC | #547419

The Plc's Avatar Comment 4 by The Plc

I signed the petition even though I'm not American, because your country desperately needs as much exposure to critical thinking about science and religion as it can get.

Sun, 14 Nov 2010 20:04:29 UTC | #547424

Perfect Tommy's Avatar Comment 5 by Perfect Tommy

Signed. I was always wondering why I never see Dawkins's videos on those channels. It's a shame really.

Sun, 14 Nov 2010 22:35:48 UTC | #547489

seals's Avatar Comment 6 by seals

There is also Seven Wonders of the World, a half hour programme which is or used to be on this site somewhere.

Sun, 14 Nov 2010 22:50:07 UTC | #547496

Peter Grant's Avatar Comment 7 by Peter Grant

Busy watching "Nice Guys Finish First", the Prof looks so young! It's still very relevant today though, wish more people would watch it. Selfish genes explain just about everything, even altruism.

Mon, 15 Nov 2010 08:41:42 UTC | #547682

AsylumWarden's Avatar Comment 8 by AsylumWarden

As a Brit am I allowed to sign this really?

Mon, 15 Nov 2010 16:35:38 UTC | #547831

donttellhimpike's Avatar Comment 9 by donttellhimpike

There's no airtime left - it's all taken up with the latest fashion for "faith broadcast", which is the $1000 seed! You basically have to send in $1000 to "seed" your miracle for which you can then "expect" a miracle "harvest". like all religous selling it's cleverly worded so that they can't be prosecuted for mis-selling. I watched open-mouthed at the mesmerising obsenity.

and then reached for my credit card...

must. buy. miracle.

Mon, 15 Nov 2010 19:03:45 UTC | #547884

locutus7's Avatar Comment 10 by locutus7

American film distributers would not even carry the recent biopic on Darwin due to the "controversy." So I think this is futile.

Mon, 15 Nov 2010 19:49:56 UTC | #547911

The Plc's Avatar Comment 11 by The Plc

Comment 10 by locutus7 :

You would think some executive would have the wit to realise that they would have the 'Life of Brian' effect, bigger controversy means bigger audience.

Tue, 16 Nov 2010 02:47:39 UTC | #548129

Letsbereasonable's Avatar Comment 12 by Letsbereasonable

Comment 11 by The Plc :

Comment 10 by locutus7 :

locutus7 is correct. You have to get by Mr Nielsen first, and that takes lots of prime-time marketability. Anti-religion is not prime-time-friendly in the US. Buffy was a vampire slayer and not a bishop slayer, if you follow my meaning.

Tue, 16 Nov 2010 11:18:51 UTC | #548218

Letsbereasonable's Avatar Comment 13 by Letsbereasonable

Comment 2 by DocWebster :

Yes. If you could cut to a cops-and-robbers live-action chase down Interstate 5 every two minutes you might hold people's attention. Maybe an NFL game or something playing continuously in the corner.

Tue, 16 Nov 2010 11:35:24 UTC | #548223

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 14 by rod-the-farmer

It would be more useful if all the YouTube links were posted, instead of Wiki links to the books.

Tue, 16 Nov 2010 18:19:40 UTC | #548406

huyzer's Avatar Comment 15 by huyzer

Signed

Wed, 17 Nov 2010 22:39:11 UTC | #549039

PERSON's Avatar Comment 16 by PERSON

Comment 9 by donttellhimpike

What you might call a Mat 4:19 scam, I guess.

Fished in!

Fri, 19 Nov 2010 13:24:55 UTC | #549795

Saerain's Avatar Comment 17 by Saerain

On behalf of all American atheists, I extend great thanks for this foreign aid.

Sun, 21 Nov 2010 17:44:46 UTC | #551045

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 18 by AtheistEgbert

Professor Richard Dawkins, the Gordon Ramsey of common sense?

EDIT: This is not meant as a jibe but as a humorous compliment, as Americans seem to love blunt aggressive British men, even though Professor Dawkins is not at all aggressive.

Sun, 21 Nov 2010 18:32:02 UTC | #551073

HalfaMind's Avatar Comment 19 by HalfaMind

18 AtheistEgbert

Inspired! I can see it in my mind's eye: "Gordon" Dawkins walking into a church.

"Call this critical thinking? Fk! Look at the state of the place - fg dogma everywhere. This is a f**g disgrace!"

Etc.

No end of possibilities

Tue, 23 Nov 2010 13:56:30 UTC | #551946

ecollazo's Avatar Comment 20 by ecollazo

Excellent idea, signed it.

However, I'm curious as to whom we are "petitioning". Is this being sent to television executives or others who may have the ability to actually make it happen?

Eric

Tue, 23 Nov 2010 16:20:46 UTC | #551998

rrh1306's Avatar Comment 21 by rrh1306

ive seen some great shows on evolution on the science channel and national geographic but curiously none by richard dawkins. hope the station executives aren't such wimps that their scare to show these programs to a friendly audience. doubt there are many republicans or christian fundamentalist watching the science channel to even be offended.

Tue, 23 Nov 2010 18:07:48 UTC | #552052

PERSON's Avatar Comment 22 by PERSON

The hardcore don't watch TV, except maybe FNC and some TBN thing. I mean they might learn something. They subscribe to newsletters (nowadays email listservs, too) and hear about how terrible it is second hand. Then, crucially, they write to the advertisers, not the networks. Remember: in Capitalist USA, TV network sells you!

Fri, 26 Nov 2010 15:19:51 UTC | #553595

Matt B's Avatar Comment 23 by Matt B

While I don't watch television, I think this is a grand idea.

However, as Comment 20 by ecollazo pointed out, I have no idea where this petition is going. Worse still, I took the liberty of reading the terms and conditions.

Care2 currently provides users with access to a wide array of resources, including, various communications tools, forums, shopping services, personalized content and branded programming through its network of properties (the "Service"). You also understand and agree that the Service may include advertisements and that these advertisements are necessary for Care2 to provide the Service. You also understand and agree that the service may include certain communications from Care2, such as service announcements and administrative messages, and that these communications are considered part of Care2 membership and you will not be able to opt out of receiving them.

Apparently, there is a price for signing this petition. Personally, I find this commonplace acceptance of advertising being pushed on us reprehensible.

Mon, 29 Nov 2010 04:59:31 UTC | #555133

nancynancy's Avatar Comment 24 by nancynancy

I signed.

Fri, 03 Dec 2010 00:56:54 UTC | #557596

kaiserkriss's Avatar Comment 25 by kaiserkriss

Signed- especially since here in Canada much of what is shown is "dictated" by our big southern neighbor. jcw

Sat, 04 Dec 2010 22:56:14 UTC | #558571

Randy Ping's Avatar Comment 26 by Randy Ping

Go to the Oprah site, guys. She will have her own network on soon, so let's start pushing for scientific content, factual content instead of her usual woo.

Mon, 06 Dec 2010 18:30:52 UTC | #559352