← New RDFRS website info

New RDFRS website info - Comments

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 1 by InYourFaceNewYorker

Hallelujah. Praise Jebus. The forum returns!

Sat, 01 May 2010 23:59:00 UTC | #464771

Kiwi's Avatar Comment 2 by Kiwi

But can we initiate threads ?

Sun, 02 May 2010 00:04:00 UTC | #464773

/Mike's Avatar Comment 3 by /Mike

Yes, I didn't mention the feature that most have probably been waiting for. "Discussions" - updated version of the forum and now accessible right on the main page along with articles and other areas.

You can initiate threads and as soon as one of the admins marks your discussion "published" it will appear under "Discussions" for others to comment on. As currently in articles, there is no moderation of comments. We think that leads to better discussions and the only downside is having to put up with the occasional troll until they can be cleaned up after.

Sun, 02 May 2010 00:10:00 UTC | #464776

Kiwi's Avatar Comment 4 by Kiwi

Thanks, will there be admins on duty at all times ? Just wondering about we in other times zones and if we will have to wait for hours ?

Sun, 02 May 2010 00:31:00 UTC | #464791

Kiwi's Avatar Comment 5 by Kiwi

I just went to gravatar, but no sign of RD.net in the "Verified Services" chooser, is this a problem ? My avatar has not yet appeared here.

Sun, 02 May 2010 00:34:00 UTC | #464792

/Mike's Avatar Comment 6 by /Mike

We are not using Gravatars on the present site. Only the new one.

I set up an account on Gravatar.com, uploaded my image, then the next time I logged onto the new website it showed up next to my name so I know it's working fine.

I hadn't heard of Gravatars before but after I created one I was really impressed at how easy it was and how easy it is to have multiple e-mail addresses and multiple images all managed from the same place. I've never been a big personal fan of avatars as they were tedious to keep track of and update.

Also by chance I was at a new site, I forget where right now, but they used Gravatars and as soon as I created an account my avatar showed up.

We haven't sorted out the details of publishing the discussion topics but we're well aware that that there are people with accounts in probably all time zones now.

Sun, 02 May 2010 01:29:00 UTC | #464804

mmurray's Avatar Comment 7 by mmurray

Just let the Australian posts go straight through. We'll be good. Promise !

Michael

Sun, 02 May 2010 02:05:00 UTC | #464808

MyHeresy's Avatar Comment 8 by MyHeresy

At last. I was waiting for it to show up.

Sun, 02 May 2010 07:12:00 UTC | #464861

all4brasstax's Avatar Comment 9 by all4brasstax

Superb!

Sun, 02 May 2010 08:30:00 UTC | #464880

lordpasternack's Avatar Comment 10 by lordpasternack

Well, I'm veritably coming in my pants at the thought of setting up a gravatar and syncing my calendar with the site's - and I can also see so clearly now that it was necessary to abolish the forum and erect another version of the front page in its place.

I now appreciate how all the angst, arrogance, professional incompetance, and downright obnoxiousness, followed by mockable delays have all been worth it in the end. I never fully appreciated the type of masterpiece that would be unveiled.

But perhaps I'm a touch misguided in my cynicism… We shall see…

Sun, 02 May 2010 12:07:00 UTC | #464915

Matt H.'s Avatar Comment 11 by Matt H.

Gravatars sound awesome. It was totally worth pissing off the entire RD.net forum community for all these cool new gadgets. Hope you are proud for bringing shame upon the RDFRS.

Sun, 02 May 2010 12:22:00 UTC | #464919

hackenslash's Avatar Comment 12 by hackenslash

'avatarHallelujah. Praise Jebus. The forum returns!'

Forum? Where? I see no sign of a forum there.

Sun, 02 May 2010 12:23:00 UTC | #464920

Ilovelucy's Avatar Comment 13 by Ilovelucy

We are very excited.

Sun, 02 May 2010 12:46:00 UTC | #464932

lordpasternack's Avatar Comment 14 by lordpasternack

And a certain Calilasseia may be pleased to know that he may generate such content AGAIN - if and when he stops being pissed off by the mockery that was the implementation of the new site enough to want to share such gems of scientific exposition with the site again…

Sun, 02 May 2010 13:07:00 UTC | #464936

natselrox's Avatar Comment 15 by natselrox

ting ding di ding...

Sun, 02 May 2010 13:22:00 UTC | #464939

mmmcheezy's Avatar Comment 16 by mmmcheezy

Ever so pleased that they got rid of such a nicely functioning forum for...what? Gravatars? The same avatar photo for every account on the web, ooooh. Have fun waiting for your topics to be approved by the mods.

Sun, 02 May 2010 13:56:00 UTC | #464948

Crocodile Gandhi's Avatar Comment 17 by Crocodile Gandhi

Does Gravatars contain all the posts made by Darwinsbulldog and CJ, who had their entire posting history deleted? I'm sure they'll be consoled by convenent avatars.

Sun, 02 May 2010 14:02:00 UTC | #464952

kiki5711's Avatar Comment 18 by kiki5711

Why would I want to use the same avatar on every site I visit! They're all different in themes and I choose an avatar that feels right in that forum. And schedule my calendar around it for some odd reason??? :scratch: :scratch:

It's not my place of employment, it's a forum for the purpose of enjoyment and recreation.

Ok, I don't know how this post doubled up,(there's another one 4 posts below this one, I also could not delete it for some reason) so, sorry for the double post. Uppps! now it's gone, forget it! And no, I'm not smoking pot!!

Sun, 02 May 2010 14:06:00 UTC | #464953

Bonzai's Avatar Comment 19 by Bonzai

kiki5711

My thought exactly. I think this kind of "integration" is a very annoying trend on the internet. Like, why do I have to have a net passport? What if I like to keep all my email accounts separated? That kind of things are always marketed as for your convenience. But you should have a choice if it is for your convenience, I think your accounts are integrated because marketing research people want to have a easier way to track you and predict your consumer habits.

Sun, 02 May 2010 14:13:00 UTC | #464954

seals's Avatar Comment 20 by seals

It's the first time I've heard of the old forum 'functioning nicely' ;)

You can have more than one email address and image apparently. Although, it seems the images must be square in shape. And your username may already be taken, as mine was - although whether the Gravatar username is what appears on the new discussion section (supposing I have anything worth posting on there), I don't know.

Sun, 02 May 2010 15:50:00 UTC | #464972

james1v's Avatar Comment 21 by james1v

Sun, 02 May 2010 16:06:00 UTC | #464978

Skinny Puppy's Avatar Comment 22 by Skinny Puppy

While this all sounds very exciting, I’m wondering? After silencing 85,000 members, insulting them with an ‘outrage letter’, treating them with the utmost distain, using them when it was to your advantage and them tossing them out like last week’s trash when you didn’t need them anymore, can you recommend a decent Christian site that treats its followers with respect, basic human dignity and appreciates the hard work that they do (and have done) to further a cause?

I have another question too, since you champion the rights of all to speak freely against religion, will this post be deleted if it’s perceived not to tow your atheistic party line?

I’m fully aware that the RD.net lambastes the Christian groups for censorship, the refusal to allow opposing views and so on… will you practice what you preach or am I asking for too much by expecting this post to remain?

Since I’m obviously not towing the party line, is my account now in jeopardy or is that only the purview of the Christians to silence voices of discontent?

Sun, 02 May 2010 16:17:00 UTC | #464979

The_Metatron's Avatar Comment 23 by The_Metatron

how exciting.

Sun, 02 May 2010 16:47:00 UTC | #464983

zengardener's Avatar Comment 24 by zengardener

lordpasternack

Thanks for the hearty laugh.
Your avatar is so morbidly cute I had everyone asking me what is so damn funny.

Sun, 02 May 2010 17:57:00 UTC | #465005

lordpasternack's Avatar Comment 25 by lordpasternack

I'm more amused by the fact that Josh can use such phrases as "emphasis on the power of the community" with a straight face…

Sun, 02 May 2010 18:18:00 UTC | #465013

gruebait's Avatar Comment 26 by gruebait

gravatars -
"it will be automatically used on all of the sites referencing a specific e-mail address"

Ah, another convenience for surfing on the net. Of course, a cynic might note that it adds one more way to connect a single identifier (your email address) with every gravatar-using site you visit, and when, and what you read, without even needing to leave a cookie on the user's machine.

The data miners are insatiable, and they have an endless supply of conveniences on offer, all free!

Sun, 02 May 2010 18:27:00 UTC | #465021

lordpasternack's Avatar Comment 27 by lordpasternack

Gruebait, my cynicism would go further…

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gravatar earn&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=

It is absolutely fine of course if those in charge plan on initiating a few means by which they could make some return on the usage of the site, but really, spare us the cloying marketing-speak trying to convince us that it's what we've always wanted too, and we should all rightly be squealing with delight at such frankly uninspirational changes - made on the back of past incompetances and then delays…

Sun, 02 May 2010 18:49:00 UTC | #465030

Capt'n John's Avatar Comment 28 by Capt'n John

I am not the least bit interested in having either my picture or a picture of something I choose to represent me as provided by Gravatar or any other source as part of my submissions. Is it necessary to do so in order to continue on selectively writing comments on your website?

Sun, 02 May 2010 19:28:00 UTC | #465046

George Jelliss's Avatar Comment 29 by George Jelliss

Can anyone explain why I can't see videos on this site, such as the Gravatar video indicated above? I just get a blank window with a little square in the top left, similar to what you get when the link to a image is out of date. I'm increasingly having this problem with other sites too. Do I need to update something?

PS. I had no problem with the video on the Gravatar site itself.

Sun, 02 May 2010 19:44:00 UTC | #465052

paceetrate's Avatar Comment 30 by paceetrate

Really? Really? This is your idea of an article that's supposed to make us excited about this new website? Dinky little things of no weight or importance that are supposed to wow us with their shininess?

You can gild shit with gold, but it won't change the fact that it's shit. Show me something that'll actually make me think this change -won't- be gilded shit.

Sun, 02 May 2010 19:53:00 UTC | #465054