← Football referee sacked for pope joke

Football referee sacked for pope joke - Comments

BoltzmannBrain's Avatar Comment 1 by BoltzmannBrain

People get sacked all the time for making jokes about Muslims. Why aren't you telling us to "go viral" with those kind of jokes? Being from a Catholic background myself, I'm quite sure that Catholicism is just a hugely more benign religion than Islam. Catholicism is not even in the same ballpark as Islam.

Mon, 29 Nov 2010 17:28:16 UTC | #555419

Galactor's Avatar Comment 2 by Galactor

Comment 1 by BoltzmannBrain :

Interesting. Could we have some examples?

Mon, 29 Nov 2010 17:30:16 UTC | #555420

BoltzmannBrain's Avatar Comment 3 by BoltzmannBrain

Sure. The Barclaycard chief was forced out of his job because he said, as he discussed quarterly figures, "The results were like Muslims - some were good, some were Shi'ite."

There are many other examples. Google for "Muslim joke fired" to immediately see record of about a half-dozen disparate cases.

Mon, 29 Nov 2010 17:34:23 UTC | #555423

Noble Savage's Avatar Comment 4 by Noble Savage

Comment 1 by BoltzmannBrain :

Give me a muslim story and an email address, and I'll send emails to those people too. I don't care if they're catholic or muslim, and I doubt many of us do.

Of course, people get killed when someone makes a muslim joke, so that makes the consequences even more serious. Even so, we can't back down.

We should all be free to make fun of them as much as we like without being fired.

Mon, 29 Nov 2010 17:36:47 UTC | #555424

DanzaBarr's Avatar Comment 5 by DanzaBarr

Comment 1 by BoltzmannBrain :

People get sacked all the time for making jokes about Muslims. Why aren't you telling us to "go viral" with those kind of jokes? Being from a Catholic background myself, I'm quite sure that Catholicism is a hugely more benign religion than Islam. Catholicism is not even in the same ballpark as Islam.

Why do people always think they ought to compare? There is nothing in the post that concerns Islam. It's like a pair of naughty children trying to excuse themselves by persuading us the other one is worse.

Catholicism does not represent a benign organisation nor does it have beneficial teachings concerning welfare globally. Did you watch the Blair vs Hitchens debate? Like Islam, the Catholic church is almost entirely interested in itself, but more importantly in this instance, is unable to shrug off or accept criticism, even in the form of a joke.

Mon, 29 Nov 2010 17:44:23 UTC | #555427

BoltzmannBrain's Avatar Comment 6 by BoltzmannBrain

Yes, I did watch that debate, and I was especially struck by Blair's remark to the effect that he is a "lay Catholic", who does not particularly care about the Pope's opinions. All the dozens of Catholics I have known have been of that mentality. In fact most couldn't even tell you the name of the current Pope.

Anyway...interpret my initial post as an exercise in "consciousness-raising". Now I have made my point and I don't think I'll say any more.

Mon, 29 Nov 2010 17:46:50 UTC | #555430

Neil5150's Avatar Comment 7 by Neil5150

Email systems are the property of the respective owners, and come with rules, many businesses even have employees sign agreements on terms of use. There seems no determination that he was singled out for inappropriate use. Seems to me he should have used a personal email account. The Web is not private; assume anything you ever input into a PC will become public.

Mon, 29 Nov 2010 17:51:47 UTC | #555436

danconquer's Avatar Comment 8 by danconquer

Comment 1 by BoltzmannBrain :

Being from a Catholic background myself...

Indeed! But you say it as if it somehow makes you a more impartial critic.

When the opposite is at least as likely.

<><><><><><><><><><><><>

Anyway, as for the material itself: I suspect the SFA's (over)reaction is not wholly unconnected from the current industrial disupte. I find it hard to believe that any action would have been taken over such a mild joke south of the border.

But the Scottish Referees are currently on strike claiming (probably quite legitimately) that sectarian abuse, while previously rampant, is now reaching intolerable levels following a series of on-pitch controversies.

Background to the dispute for those interested is here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/nov/26/referees-strike-scottish-football

Mon, 29 Nov 2010 17:55:12 UTC | #555437

gerryfromktown's Avatar Comment 9 by gerryfromktown

This is what we refer to as "drive-by" commenting.

Stay around and defend your post - perhaps you'll have your own consciousness raised:

How about this post from PZ Myers, which did go viral:

The Great Desecration

(read through, then check the picture at the bottom and you'll find the requisite desecration that you seem to be hoping for.)

Mon, 29 Nov 2010 17:57:24 UTC | #555439

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 10 by Agrajag

Comment 6 by BoltzmannBrain

Yes, I did watch that debate, and I was struck by Blair's remark to the effect that he is a "lay Catholic", who does not particularly care about the Pope's specific opinions.

This reminds me of another tasteless joke, a statement attributed (wrongly, but with an agenda) to Jesse Jackson:

"Clergy do more than lay people."

;-) Steve

Mon, 29 Nov 2010 17:58:19 UTC | #555440

mirandaceleste's Avatar Comment 11 by mirandaceleste

Oh goodness, the BBC article (linked to above) doesn't mention the text on the sign; instead, it says:

Beneath the road sign were words making reference to the Pope's arrival in Scotland.

That's... bizarre, to say the least. Yes, "the Pope is coming" could be interpreted as a sexual reference, but it could also just mean something along the lines of: the Pope is visiting soon, and he's done things that have put children in danger, so watch out. And even if it is interpreted as a sexual reference, there's really no reason for the BBC to omit it, as it isn't graphic/doesn't use explicit language, etc.

Mon, 29 Nov 2010 17:59:37 UTC | #555441

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 12 by Tyler Durden

Comment 6 by BoltzmannBrain :

Is that a promise?

Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:01:10 UTC | #555443

BoltzmannBrain's Avatar Comment 13 by BoltzmannBrain

Comment 8 by danconquer :

Indeed! But you say it as if it somehow makes you a more impartial critic.

When the opposite is at least as likely.

Before I leave, let me address this one particular cheap shot.

I said I'm from a Catholic background because if I didn't I knew someone else who is from a Catholic background would jump in and assure me, from personal experience, that Catholicism is in fact horrible.

I don't think I'm biased since I'm not religious even remotely and can accept that Catholicism is among the worst that Christianity has to offer (although probably not as bad as various American movements, including Mormonism).

Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:05:59 UTC | #555445

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 14 by Stafford Gordon

There may be better jokes but this one will do nicely to be going on with.

Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:16:31 UTC | #555450

God fearing Atheist's Avatar Comment 15 by God fearing Atheist

Comment 1 by BoltzmannBrain :

Boltzmann, shut the fuck up.

This time we are giving the Church of Paedophilia a kicking, next time it might be the Semtex Mosque. Whining that the semtex mosque is worse than the buggering bishop is not relevant on the kick the buggering bishop thread.

Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:16:41 UTC | #555451

Good Vibrations's Avatar Comment 16 by Good Vibrations

Stuart Regan is new to the SFA post he holds, as an Englishman he must surely be wondering what he has walked into. Companies generally have a policy on personal emails at work, not sure it necessarily means instant dismissal though. I think on this occasion he has decided to rid the SFA of being accused of sectarianism and sacked 5 employees including Hugh Dallas, but it's maybe not a surprise. It comes hot on the heels of Dr John Reid (chairman of Celtic) leading a campaign which claims institutional bias against his club, on the basis of what you might wonder, to the average celtic fan it's because of their religion.

The worrying thing is that Kearney has again ramped up his claim that anti-catholicism is rife in scotland on the back of this email story, it's divisive and unfair. Scottish catholics and protestants in general, live side by side and often marry into each other's faith. Indeed RC schools in Scotland are generally state funded, paid for by the tax payers he is suspicious of. Can we assume the father will now be going after Private Eye, Mock of the Week etc?.

It's also worth noting that Father Kearney claimed last year that the 'hokey cokey' was a 'faith hate song'. Now i do not know the origins of this song, but the only time i hear it is at children's parties, and i certainly haven't heard it played at any of the orange walks that pass by my street.

Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:20:09 UTC | #555453

Andrew B.'s Avatar Comment 18 by Andrew B.

Comment 11 by mirandaceleste :

They tend to ere on the side of caution when it comes to "offensive images." It's impossible to overestimate people's ability to be "offended," so it's best to provide as little information as possible.

Comment 6 by BoltzmannBrain :

I prefer to interpret it as thread-derailing and whatabouttery (Although I like this term, so thank you for giving me a chance to use it today).

Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:25:14 UTC | #555457

Logicel's Avatar Comment 19 by Logicel

May the long-honored tradition of making fun at the ridiculous beliefs of Catholics continue:

link text

Please instead of humoring the humorless Boltzmann, dig up all the luscious jokes lampooning Catholic beliefs and send them to the folks that Richard has listed above. It will be time much better spent than taking loopy Boltzman 'seriously.'

Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:26:43 UTC | #555458

Emmeline's Avatar Comment 20 by Emmeline

The reason given for the sacking is about stamping out sectarian bigotry.

Maybe if the referee could claim to be an atheist, he'd have a strong case (although he'd be asked if he were a catholic atheist or a protestant atheist).

The moral of the tale appears to be that in Scotland, one needs to make jokes about catholics AND protestants.

Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:33:47 UTC | #555461

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 21 by rod-the-farmer

I fired off a letter of protest. Sorry, no catholic church jokes came to mind.

Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:34:54 UTC | #555462

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 22 by Richard Dawkins

Sorry this thread was de-railed by whataboutery and fatwa-envy before it even got started. Let's see if we can put that behind us, and take encouragement from the fact that Pharyngula is also on the case. with at least one additional joke suggested: http://www.meh.ro/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/meh.ro5385.jpg

Please post the URLs of as many pope jokes as possible here, so we can send them all for the amusement of the Scottish Catholic Media Office.

Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:53:55 UTC | #555472

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 23 by AtheistEgbert

Darth Sidious always has the last laugh.

Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:54:21 UTC | #555473

Cook@Tahiti's Avatar Comment 24 by Cook@Tahiti

Comment 21 by rod-the-farmer :

Sorry, no catholic church jokes came to mind.

A Rabbi, a Protestant minister and a Catholic Priest were taking a party of kids on a cruise. Suddenly the ship hit a rock and began to sink.

The Rabbi cried out: "Quick! The kids!"

"Fuck the kids!" said the minister, heading out.

"Do you think we have time?" said the priest.

Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:56:43 UTC | #555475

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 25 by Richard Dawkins

And here's another good one that has turned up on Pharyngula

Richard

Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:57:02 UTC | #555476

Cook@Tahiti's Avatar Comment 26 by Cook@Tahiti

Comment 25 by Richard Dawkins :

And here's another good one that has turned up on Pharyngula

Richard

Good one, but be careful - you might be labelled strident.

Mon, 29 Nov 2010 19:01:21 UTC | #555479

bluebird's Avatar Comment 27 by bluebird

At first glance I thought this was about Steve Johnson. Does god have a twitter account? ;)

Bum rap for Hugh Dallas :(

Mon, 29 Nov 2010 19:07:08 UTC | #555483

rookieatheist's Avatar Comment 28 by rookieatheist

Comment 25 by Richard Dawkins :

And here's another good one that has turned up on Pharyngula

Richard

Ouch! That's a sick one! When you said a "good one" Richard, did you mean a "funny one" or a "push-it-to-the-limit-for-the-sake-of-free-speech one"?

As my avatar implies, I'm new to this and would have trouble showing that joke to others without some feeling of going too far.

Mon, 29 Nov 2010 19:09:59 UTC | #555486

G0LCU's Avatar Comment 29 by G0LCU

At comment 17 by Rtambree...

When can we get stuck into the Australian Catholics?

''A minority of people, usually people without religion, are frightened by the future,''

ROTFL...

Spat me coffee all over me 'puter wi' that un.

My missus is more frightening than Iranian nation.

If she says it's Wednesday, believe me it IS Wednesday... ;oD

I daren`t contradict as I value my life... ;oD

73...

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...

Mon, 29 Nov 2010 19:11:03 UTC | #555487

decius's Avatar Comment 30 by decius

I'm sorry, but as much as I feel a protest is perfectly in order, I don't think spam campaigns are the way forward.

Mon, 29 Nov 2010 19:11:28 UTC | #555488