← Christopher Hitchens: my hero of 2010

Christopher Hitchens: my hero of 2010 - Comments

Rob Schneider's Avatar Comment 1 by Rob Schneider

Total, unequivocal agreement!!! A beautiful example of a human being. Long live the Hitch!

Wed, 01 Dec 2010 15:58:05 UTC | #556661

YXalr's Avatar Comment 2 by YXalr

I don't think there is a single word I disagree with.

Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:09:28 UTC | #556674

TheRationalizer's Avatar Comment 3 by TheRationalizer

Richard Dawkins put lots of nails in the coffin of my deistic/theistic beliefs, but it was Hitchens who put in the final nail and buried the coffin 6 feet under with one simple statement.

"It's not true....and why would you WANT it to be?"

Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:14:45 UTC | #556678

Shawn Lawrence's Avatar Comment 4 by Shawn Lawrence

As Rob said, "Total, unequivocal agreement". This was a delightful little article that - in the midst of a depressing amount of school work - instilled some inspiration in me. As if Hitchens himself wasn't enough.

Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:15:49 UTC | #556679

Linda Ward's Avatar Comment 5 by Linda Ward

The fact that Christopher Hitchens is taking every breath to slay the dragons of anti-reason is an inspiration.

Thanks for submitting the piece to the GU Richard, it is heartfelt and reflects the feelings o many about Hitchens as a person and his contribution to intellectual progress.

Best, LWS

Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:20:30 UTC | #556682

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 6 by SaganTheCat

Agree with every word

Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:23:53 UTC | #556685

RationalistOne's Avatar Comment 7 by RationalistOne

Alas, I don't think Daniel Dennett said the sacrifice a goat line. I read he resisted asking if they sacrificed a goat. That said, I'm now using the line with as straight face I can manage when people say they're praying for me and my atheism.

Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:42:51 UTC | #556696

besleybean's Avatar Comment 8 by besleybean

Thank you, Richard. That's lovely.(Note to self: don't blubber...again.)

Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:47:36 UTC | #556702

crookedshoes's Avatar Comment 9 by crookedshoes

Many many other people would have turned to the comfort of the sky daddy. I am proud that Hitch did not. I also am proud that my father, during a 6 month hospital stay, replete with a 77 day sojourn on a respirator at no point compromised. He chased (when not in a coma) charlatans out of his room repeatedly....

Along those lines, there was ONE and only ONE holy person who came in that I remotely respected. This priest came in and was HAPPY for my Dad's impending death (he lived ----THANK SCIENCE)... But, shouldn;t that be their stance if they actually believe you are going to paradise?

Back on topic, Hitch qualifies as a hero for sure.

Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:48:49 UTC | #556705

-TheCodeCrack-'s Avatar Comment 10 by -TheCodeCrack-

Long live the Hitch!

And long live his opinions and reasoned arguments!

Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:54:44 UTC | #556707

valla's Avatar Comment 11 by valla

It's really good to continue to see CH around and to see that there still are religious kamikaze who accept to debate with him, only to be utterly crushed.

All the best to him from Italy!

Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:57:24 UTC | #556713

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 12 by Stafford Gordon

Yup!

Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:59:45 UTC | #556715

CottonRunt's Avatar Comment 13 by CottonRunt

I fully agree.

A very inspiring man.

Wed, 01 Dec 2010 17:03:53 UTC | #556719

helen sotiriadis's Avatar Comment 14 by helen sotiriadis

completely agreed. may i point out that richard is also a hero.

so after reading this, hitch is, like, hero, squared.

:-D

Wed, 01 Dec 2010 17:06:04 UTC | #556720

Disbelief's Avatar Comment 15 by Disbelief

Well said

Wed, 01 Dec 2010 17:11:38 UTC | #556723

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 16 by AtheistEgbert

Comment 14 by helen sotiriadis :

completely agreed. may i point out that richard is also a hero.

so after reading this, hitch is, like, hero, squared.

:-D

Yes, Hitchens is my hero too, as well as Professor Dawkins. The world would have been a dim place without the likes of God Is Not Great and The God Delusion (among many other of Professor Dawkin's works).

I consider God is Not Great as not only an important work of New Atheism, but possibly the greatest book of the twenty-first century (it would have to be a very profound book to beat it).

Wed, 01 Dec 2010 17:17:00 UTC | #556727

Emmeline's Avatar Comment 17 by Emmeline

Comment 8 by besleybean :

Thank you, Richard. That's lovely.(Note to self: don't blubber...again.)

It's hard not to isn't it BB. I "blubbered" quite a bit over his masterful debate with Blair.

I hope he really knows how much he's done to help people shake off their delusions about religion. If his life is to be a short one, at least his legacy will endure far longer than most people's.

Many thanks to RD for writing this moving article in CiF.

Wed, 01 Dec 2010 17:17:10 UTC | #556728

Caivs's Avatar Comment 18 by Caivs

Great Richard! You and Hitchens are my intelectual heros of 2010.

Wed, 01 Dec 2010 17:41:43 UTC | #556741

ridelo's Avatar Comment 19 by ridelo

Also one of my heroes. An example to follow. But difficult to reach op to his ankles.

Wed, 01 Dec 2010 17:44:40 UTC | #556747

Logicel's Avatar Comment 20 by Logicel

It's so sad that Hitchens is sick and struggling, but so uplifting that he is dealing with reality so courageously and on his own terms.

Wed, 01 Dec 2010 17:49:55 UTC | #556751

Peter Grant's Avatar Comment 21 by Peter Grant

Mine too.

Wed, 01 Dec 2010 17:52:09 UTC | #556753

keithapm's Avatar Comment 22 by keithapm

While deep in my religious studies, and at the time a sort of wishy-washy Karen Armstrong type believer, I finally worked the courage to take on the challenge of atheism. I was reluctant to read The God Delusion as I had heard of Dawkins and heard he had a "strident" streak. So, instead, I opted for a book by an atheist author I'd never heard of. That book was God is Not Great. In one fell swoop the last remaining shreds of my theistic beliefs were blown away and I was introduced to the Hitch. The God Delusion et al. soon followed. I owe Hitchens so much and, along with Dawkins and a very few others, he indeed ranks as one of my life's heroes. I owe him my reason.

Keith

Wed, 01 Dec 2010 17:53:02 UTC | #556754

ShawnDimery's Avatar Comment 23 by ShawnDimery

Christopher Hitchens is my hero of all time, (I hope you forgive me Mr. Dawkins! You are in my top 10!) The way he is handling the whole situation gives me inspiration, and I will shed a tear and raise a glass of Jonnie Walker Black for Christopher when the time arrives.

Wed, 01 Dec 2010 18:21:57 UTC | #556766

jaclynde's Avatar Comment 24 by jaclynde

I adore Christopher Hitchens. I would have loved the opportunity to meet him and am so sad that he can't go on his book tour for Hitch 22. It would be such an honor just to meet him. He's one of the greatest intellectuals of our time and the thought of him and his extraordinary wit not being around anymore leaves a hole in my heart. That is something that I can't say about many intellectuals out there today.

Wed, 01 Dec 2010 18:30:06 UTC | #556773

Ode2Hitch's Avatar Comment 25 by Ode2Hitch

Not read this yet but wanted to post the following - further recognition (although not highly enough placed IMO) of one of the greatest people alive:

Wed, 01 Dec 2010 18:45:18 UTC | #556779

Kenny18's Avatar Comment 26 by Kenny18

Of 2010? Do you have a new hero every year Richard? Anyway Dawkins is my hero of all time, I feel like he was the main driver of the new Atheist movement and will be looked back on as a revolutionary.

Wed, 01 Dec 2010 18:50:30 UTC | #556782

meyerjac's Avatar Comment 27 by meyerjac

Comment Removed by Author

Wed, 01 Dec 2010 19:02:13 UTC | #556786

meyerjac's Avatar Comment 28 by meyerjac

I wrote Mr. Hitchens a poem:

Horseman of the dawn of Reason,

my eyes are heavy

and my heart arrhythmic.

You have inspired me,

you tireless warrior

and unhesitant hero.

I am humbled by your words

and by your worries.

You stare down defiantly the cosmos

from which you drew your first breath

and to which you prepare

to dedicate your last.

So that we may draw breath from you,

remain for us in our memories

and tread lightly into the dark,

as we slog wearily

into the godless future.

Wed, 01 Dec 2010 19:03:36 UTC | #556787

Corylus's Avatar Comment 29 by Corylus

That's nice, meyerjac.

If you write (without spaces) < br > at the end of each line, you can break up the text into tidy lines, with no need for extra spacing.

Wed, 01 Dec 2010 19:05:54 UTC | #556789

bluebird's Avatar Comment 30 by bluebird

IMO this book would make a good stocking stuffer link text

Happy Holidays Hitch♥