← Uncovering the neurobiological basis of general anesthesia

Uncovering the neurobiological basis of general anesthesia - Comments

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 1 by Neodarwinian

Something beyond subjective reports, at least for me. Every time I have been under general anesthesia it was like turning off a switch and then turning it on again. A state of coma indeed!

Fri, 31 Dec 2010 19:04:53 UTC | #571587

Saerain's Avatar Comment 2 by Saerain

I had no idea that we didn't already know the neurobiological basis for general anesthesia. I feel like such a pioneer, now!

Also, my one experience under GA wasn't what I'd describe as flipping a switch on and off. I seemed conscious, merely numb and very delirious. Distorted images of doctors circling around me, a floating sensation... it was rather like a high fever, for me, without the pain.

Although my subjective experience of this was about two minutes long, and the surgery took 44, so I suppose that the experience was either the process of me going under and waking up stringed together, or that is one hell of a contraction of subjective time.

Fri, 31 Dec 2010 19:17:54 UTC | #571597

Valis's Avatar Comment 3 by Valis

OT: Who is this Anonymous character that keeps posting here? And why do they always say the same thing; "Comment Removed by Moderator". Can't they come up with anything original? :P

Fri, 31 Dec 2010 19:51:30 UTC | #571612

TNathan's Avatar Comment 4 by TNathan

I recently had general anesthesia and it was quite an experience, totally like not existing at all. The doc said you will start to feel dizzy, and then i wondered when the procedure would be starting .. in fact it was done, an hour-plus later, as if the time in between hadn't even occured.

Anyone wonder what its like to be dead? Well now i know!

Fri, 31 Dec 2010 20:30:02 UTC | #571628

bendigeidfran's Avatar Comment 5 by bendigeidfran

Comment 4 by Valis

I'd like to hear from him too. He wrote some great poems.

Fri, 31 Dec 2010 20:40:50 UTC | #571634

SeanSantos's Avatar Comment 6 by SeanSantos

When I was under GA, I don't really recall the moment of going under. Someone stuck me with an IV, and then something vaguely happened and it was basically like flicking off a light switch.

When I came around, however, it was fairly odd. Apparently I had a vague idea of where I was and had a very keen desire to show the nurse that I was awake, so I said hi and asked her her name. Unfortunately, I was still amnesiac, so I asked several times. When my memory finally did return (with apparently no visible sign), I asked one more time and was baffled as to why she was ignoring me. Again, my memory returned (subjectively) very quickly, like switching on a light.

Fri, 31 Dec 2010 21:39:32 UTC | #571657

Misfire's Avatar Comment 7 by Misfire

A few years ago I performed an informal test on myself related to anesthesia. (Actually, it was a circumcision, and I was trying to prove that men do, in fact, think with their penises.) So I printed out a crappy on-line "IQ test"--the kind with easy answers you get all right, and the night before my operation timed myself doing the even numbers.

The moment I woke up from the operation I timed myself doing the odd ones, expecting to do significantly worse, and finished in just under the same amount of time. I was annoyed to disprove my hypothesis, but I was pretty surprised that I could be in a medically-induced coma one second, and a few seconds later be thinking pretty near normally.

Though later when I underwent a 4 (or 6, can't remember) hour operation, I was pretty out of it for a while. Proving, that men think with their femurs.

Fri, 31 Dec 2010 22:10:15 UTC | #571675

phill marston's Avatar Comment 8 by phill marston

Anyone wonder what its like to be dead? Well now i know!

The poets know it too. This is from Philip Larkin's poem 'Aubade',

This is a special way of being afraid
No trick dispels. Religion used to try,
That vast moth-eaten musical brocade
Created to pretend we never die,
And specious stuff that says no rational being
Can fear a thing it cannot feel, not seeing
That this is what we fear – no sight, no sound,
No touch or taste or smell, nothing to think with,
Nothing to love or link with,
The anaesthetic from which none come round.

Sat, 01 Jan 2011 15:15:28 UTC | #571895

Corylus's Avatar Comment 9 by Corylus

By reframing these phenomena in the context of common circuit mechanisms, we can make each of these states understandable and predictable.

A laudable aim.

There will always be individual differences of course. For example, if you are ginger you may need a little more of chemical hammer on your noggin than average.

Sat, 01 Jan 2011 16:49:36 UTC | #571921

crookedshoes's Avatar Comment 10 by crookedshoes

I am generally anesthetized on many Friday nights my technique involves Crown Royal and bad intention.

Sat, 01 Jan 2011 17:13:34 UTC | #571928

Hendrix is my gOD's Avatar Comment 11 by Hendrix is my gOD

I am generally anesthetized for hockey games. Especially toward the end of a bad lose. My technique involves enough Heineken to make a living recycling glass bottles.

Sat, 01 Jan 2011 18:29:38 UTC | #571952

Hendrix is my gOD's Avatar Comment 12 by Hendrix is my gOD

Hey crooked, our favorite holiday is coming January 5th, we need to find a third comedian on this site to be the Three Wise Guys

Sat, 01 Jan 2011 18:32:47 UTC | #571954

crookedshoes's Avatar Comment 13 by crookedshoes

hendrix is my gOD,

but who??? so many to choose from. Now, by three wise guys, do you mean Henry Hill, Mike Corleone, and Luca Brasi???? Maybe the Turk (Virgil Sollozo)?

Sat, 01 Jan 2011 19:11:00 UTC | #571969

Hendrix is my gOD's Avatar Comment 14 by Hendrix is my gOD

If my memory of coerced bible studies from childhood is correct, They were Larry, Curly, and Moe.

Sat, 01 Jan 2011 19:28:03 UTC | #571977

Hendrix is my gOD's Avatar Comment 15 by Hendrix is my gOD

Wow! Three anonymouses. Is it something that I'VE said. Damn! I'm proud.

Sun, 02 Jan 2011 02:47:20 UTC | #572148

crusader234's Avatar Comment 16 by crusader234

I wish comments weren't removed, no matter what the content. its always interesting to know what idiots think. i listen to a radio show called family radio, it claims the rapture is coming on may 21 this year, it has a regular slot called "beyond intelligent design" which puts down evolutionary theory and champions creationalism. its utter bollocks but I find it fascinating listening. Knowing your enemy is always handy.

Sun, 02 Jan 2011 03:41:29 UTC | #572167

ScottB's Avatar Comment 17 by ScottB

@ Hendrix is my GOd (excellent username) and crusader234

Only three were our usual "anonymous". The other was me.

My post was removed for good reason and what's more the mod team actually told me why they'd removed it. Which oddly enough made my day because on other sites where my posts have been removed (actually, this is the first non-theist site that's happened on) I have had no idea what I'd done wrong.

So, now you know what at least one of the idiots thinks. ;)

Sun, 02 Jan 2011 04:56:09 UTC | #572183

Hendrix is my gOD's Avatar Comment 18 by Hendrix is my gOD

Knowing your enemy is always handy

Especially as a source of material for atheist comedians.

Sun, 02 Jan 2011 07:49:49 UTC | #572195

Hendrix is my gOD's Avatar Comment 19 by Hendrix is my gOD

Knowing your enemy is always handy

Especially as a source of material for atheist comedians.

Sun, 02 Jan 2011 07:53:22 UTC | #572196

Hendrix is my gOD's Avatar Comment 20 by Hendrix is my gOD

Anyone wonder what its like to be dead? Well now i know!

One of my last holdouts of hope in an afterlife was that I couldn't comprehend not existing counsciously. Then one day I had some strong sleeping pills. next thing i knew it was 3PM the next day. I wonder what time it will be next thing after i die?

Sun, 02 Jan 2011 08:04:25 UTC | #572198