← Egypt's Muslims attend Coptic Christmas mass, serving as "human shields"

Egypt's Muslims attend Coptic Christmas mass, serving as "human shields" - Comments

RepealingCreationismLaw's Avatar Comment 1 by RepealingCreationismLaw

Thats beautiful

Fri, 07 Jan 2011 22:56:39 UTC | #574847

keith's Avatar Comment 2 by keith

I have to say that that's a terrific gesture. My initial reaction was that blowing up fellow Muslims has never stopped Islamic fundamentalists before. (I also worried that there might not be any space left in the pews for the Coptic Christians themselves). But the more I think about it, the more wonderful a strategy becomes. That is genuine solidarity! Not between Muslims simply because they're Muslims, but between civilised people. Maybe there is hope after all.

Fri, 07 Jan 2011 23:02:23 UTC | #574851

Frankus1122's Avatar Comment 3 by Frankus1122

I think this can only be applauded.

Fri, 07 Jan 2011 23:02:58 UTC | #574852

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 4 by Richard Dawkins

This is a heartwarming story, a welcome contrast to almost everything else we ever hear about Muslims these days. The Copts are an ancient sect, predating Mohammed by several centuries. Their liturgy is a relic of the language of ancient Egypt, in a country where most people speak Arabic.

Richard

Fri, 07 Jan 2011 23:06:22 UTC | #574856

millerseth's Avatar Comment 5 by millerseth

What a great story to see. It's about time

Fri, 07 Jan 2011 23:22:16 UTC | #574862

Tryphon Tournesol's Avatar Comment 6 by Tryphon Tournesol

What a relief! One step forward for mankind.

Fri, 07 Jan 2011 23:23:10 UTC | #574863

NealOKelly's Avatar Comment 7 by NealOKelly

Unusually quiet this thread. Especially for one that is tagged with both "Islam" and "Terrorism".

I wonder why? Is it because it doesn't conform to the "all muslims are evil" stance that is so common on this site?

Fri, 07 Jan 2011 23:28:49 UTC | #574868

Tryphon Tournesol's Avatar Comment 8 by Tryphon Tournesol

I'd say that only few -if any- here think that 'all muslims' (most of them friendly and decent people like atheists and christians and..and..) are evil. Islam is though.

Fri, 07 Jan 2011 23:35:00 UTC | #574871

Foolishfool's Avatar Comment 9 by Foolishfool

Comment 7 by NealOKelly :

How wonderfully troll-like of you, to try and sow discord over such a heartwarming story. If you don't have anything nice to say...

About the story:

This is a beautiful gesture, and one that I hope is repeated. Beyond what faith any of the people involved follow, their humanity shines through.

Fri, 07 Jan 2011 23:46:23 UTC | #574877

RepealingCreationismLaw's Avatar Comment 10 by RepealingCreationismLaw

Comment 7 by NealOKelly :

If you read any comment on this thread besides your own, you might notice how everyone here has been positive and talked about how great this is.

Fri, 07 Jan 2011 23:48:20 UTC | #574878

jon_the_d's Avatar Comment 11 by jon_the_d

@ NealOKelly,

seriously?

All the people on here you're making presumptions about are actually continually appealing for the moderates to make a stand against the radicals. It's what we've been hoping for, some could even say fighting for, for a long time. It's one of the main aims and hopes of the atheist community to see religions, islam in particular, make a shift towards tolerance and pluralism, a live and let live attitude, and embracing more secular values and human rights in general such as freedom of religion.

This is great news and I only hope we see sentiments of this kind echoed in other countries for other potentially divisive events.

I think you've seriously misunderstood our aims and motivations.

Well done people of Egypt!

Fri, 07 Jan 2011 23:53:31 UTC | #574881

mellifera's Avatar Comment 12 by mellifera

Hurrah!

Fri, 07 Jan 2011 23:55:14 UTC | #574883

rrh1306's Avatar Comment 13 by rrh1306

YES YES YES!!!! That is beautiful. Made my day.

Fri, 07 Jan 2011 23:57:27 UTC | #574884

Stevezar's Avatar Comment 14 by Stevezar

Now we know where the moderate muslims are...they all left Pakistan for Egypt.

Sat, 08 Jan 2011 00:03:20 UTC | #574887

Radesq's Avatar Comment 15 by Radesq

Well done! Let us hope that this example is repeated elsewhere when violence is done to those who do not toe the line of the religious extremists.

Sat, 08 Jan 2011 00:05:35 UTC | #574888

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 16 by Neodarwinian

Hope.

Sat, 08 Jan 2011 00:05:53 UTC | #574890

NealOKelly's Avatar Comment 17 by NealOKelly

Comment 11 by jon_the_d

I think you've seriously misunderstood our aims and motivations.

I'm sad to say that I don't think I have. I don't doubt your motivation, nor indeed any of the others that have so far posted on this thread. But there are plenty of others (that delight in saying "I told you so" in relation to every "Islam goes bad" story) that are so far conspicuous by their absence.

For many in these discussion forums, pluralism in not the goal. The destruction of religion is.

It's a heartwarming story indeed. I echo your sentiment: Well done people of Egypt!

Sat, 08 Jan 2011 00:15:49 UTC | #574897

Zelig's Avatar Comment 18 by Zelig

My respect and admiration to all those Muslims who took part.

Sat, 08 Jan 2011 00:16:48 UTC | #574898

sara g's Avatar Comment 19 by sara g

A big mental handshake to those compassionate, civilized, brave muslims. I hope they shine as a brilliant example to others.

Sat, 08 Jan 2011 00:23:31 UTC | #574903

HughCaldwell's Avatar Comment 20 by HughCaldwell

One of the appalling things about Muslim-majority countries is how crushingly enormous these majorities often are. Maybe there's a threshold percentage where the minorities have a better chance of being properly respected.

Sat, 08 Jan 2011 00:29:07 UTC | #574907

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 21 by Steve Zara

From the well-known to the unknown, Muslims had offered their bodies as “human shields” for last night’s mass, making a pledge to collectively fight the threat of Islamic militants and towards an Egypt free from sectarian strife.

This is wonderful. These brave people give me hope for the future. As keith says, this shows solidarity between people. This sort of solidarity is just what is needed to help defend against militants.

Sat, 08 Jan 2011 00:29:51 UTC | #574908

Celtic Atheist's Avatar Comment 22 by Celtic Atheist

These Muslims will surely have been aware that the fanatics wouldn't think twice about killing them too, which makes the gesture all the more significant. Great news!

Sat, 08 Jan 2011 00:30:07 UTC | #574909

RepealingCreationismLaw's Avatar Comment 23 by RepealingCreationismLaw

Someone should make a thank you petition

Sat, 08 Jan 2011 00:45:54 UTC | #574917

huzonfurst's Avatar Comment 24 by huzonfurst

An amazing display of solidarity, and very welcome news. Let's hope it catches on.

Sat, 08 Jan 2011 01:05:57 UTC | #574926

jon_the_d's Avatar Comment 25 by jon_the_d

@ NealOKelly,

I accept that for many pluralism may not be the ultimate goal, which is why I said a 'shift toward' pluralism. It is the first step to a tolerant and secular society. Which may then lead to religions losing their 'grip' on the populace.

pluralism is definitely an improvemnt from the totalitarian intolerance that many muslim groups clamour for.

Sat, 08 Jan 2011 01:27:52 UTC | #574938

Neil5150's Avatar Comment 26 by Neil5150

Good stuff indeed!! That kinda stuff can catch on, lets hope some of the media hype this story.

Sat, 08 Jan 2011 01:33:35 UTC | #574941

holysmokes's Avatar Comment 27 by holysmokes

@nealOkelly,

your comment "about low posting" is an interesting, yet innacurate observation, especially in light of the fact that it's a new post. Give it time. Some of us do not live hovering above our computers every day. Yes, we have lives beyond cyberspace.

I for one just saw this post and will happily embrace the intention of these Muslims. It's extremely refreshing! Kudos to all who participated! Well done!

Sat, 08 Jan 2011 01:37:27 UTC | #574942

dilated_in_disbelief's Avatar Comment 28 by dilated_in_disbelief

Comment 17 by NealOKelly :

Comment 11 by jon_the_d

I think you've seriously misunderstood our aims and motivations.

If religion is to be 'destroyed,' it should be done by the religious once they've changed their minds and wish to let go of their phony institutions. Pluralism will have to come first. It would be preferable to see dialog than violence. However, judging by the behavior of some extremists, they appear to be doing a better job of destroying religion that anyone else.

Good job to everyone involved in the mass!

Sat, 08 Jan 2011 01:39:06 UTC | #574943

Vicktor's Avatar Comment 29 by Vicktor

Comment 4 by Richard Dawkins

It's a welcome change, indeed. But these Copts may be seen as 'People of the Book' (worthy of some acceptance even by today's Muslims). One wonders if these 'human shield' Muslims in Egypt would do the same for today's Jews.

Sat, 08 Jan 2011 02:16:17 UTC | #574955

cornbread_r2's Avatar Comment 30 by cornbread_r2

Vicktor:

I may be wrong, but aren't Jews also considered People of the Book?

Sat, 08 Jan 2011 02:39:27 UTC | #574967