← Repealing the Louisiana Science Education Act - Creationism in Disguise

Repealing the Louisiana Science Education Act - Creationism in Disguise - Comments

RepealingCreationismLaw's Avatar Comment 1 by RepealingCreationismLaw

Thank you!

Fri, 18 Feb 2011 02:03:31 UTC | #592852

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 2 by Neodarwinian

Isn't this the young man who posted here some time ago?

Regardless, a battle won just by opposing this creationist nonsense. By opposing creationist nonsense you bring it out into the light where the creationist does not want to be because only by masking his nonsense can he get it taught in our schools. More power to Zack Kopplin.

Fri, 18 Feb 2011 02:07:57 UTC | #592853

RepealingCreationismLaw's Avatar Comment 3 by RepealingCreationismLaw

Yeah, that post was about the Louisiana textbook battle that science actually won.

Fri, 18 Feb 2011 02:20:58 UTC | #592855

Notstrident's Avatar Comment 4 by Notstrident

When I was in high school I wouldn't have had the savvy nor the you-know-whats to take on a project like this, and I lived in Chicago, not the bible belt. This kid is only a kid, but he's a better man than I am.

Fri, 18 Feb 2011 02:21:16 UTC | #592856

WonderNerd's Avatar Comment 5 by WonderNerd

From one bible-belt high-schooler to another, awesome job. Best of luck, I will definitely check the link.

Fri, 18 Feb 2011 02:42:57 UTC | #592860

SoHelpMeReason's Avatar Comment 6 by SoHelpMeReason

When will they ever stop? It's like they have infinite energy, determination, and resources. Very Christian of them to invest zillions into advocating Goddunit Theory when there are millions of hungry children dying in the world. You'd think they'd give it up.

Fri, 18 Feb 2011 03:16:58 UTC | #592866

RepealingCreationismLaw's Avatar Comment 7 by RepealingCreationismLaw

Comment 6 by SoHelpMeReason :

I think we only have about 10 more years of them trying to insert it into the classroom. As our generation grows up, there are less and less who want creationism. More importantly than that, they’re running out of tricks.

Fri, 18 Feb 2011 03:27:45 UTC | #592869

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 8 by Agrajag

Great work, Zack!
^__^
Seriously, best of luck in your future endeavors.
Steve

Fri, 18 Feb 2011 03:30:15 UTC | #592870

RepealingCreationismLaw's Avatar Comment 9 by RepealingCreationismLaw

Comment 8 by Agrajag :

Great work, Zack! Only... don't bother applying to Liberty University. You don't meet their rigorous admissions requirements. ^__^ Seriously, best of luck in your future endeavors. Steve

Thanks, and I’m very disappointed now, I was planning my life around Liberty

Fri, 18 Feb 2011 04:00:38 UTC | #592871

DocWebster's Avatar Comment 10 by DocWebster

I feel a little nauseous seeing a link to a list all of the religidiots who support evolution on the NCSE website. Why does the NSCE even have a list like this. Is it so important that people of religious faith actually state that they believe a proven fact with tons of evidence behind it. I didn't get my name on any list when I acknowledged that I had to stop at a stop sign while driving. Did you? Why is the fact that the list exists even mentioned as a selling point for getting rid of a clearly unconstitutional law. Do they think that because a bunch of fairy tale fans say they support an obvious fact backed by mountains of evidence the rest would find that losing their cherished forced indoctrination law was less unpalatable. The message should be "We will not tolerate the teaching of lies to our children" not " These people over here say they're Christians and they don't mind evolution as a concept".

Fri, 18 Feb 2011 04:14:42 UTC | #592874

zengardener's Avatar Comment 11 by zengardener

HUZZAH!!!

Fri, 18 Feb 2011 05:19:36 UTC | #592881

rjohn19's Avatar Comment 12 by rjohn19

And we wonder how it is the Chinese are beating us up in the schoolyard and stealing our lunch money.

Fri, 18 Feb 2011 05:25:00 UTC | #592883

Peter Grant's Avatar Comment 13 by Peter Grant

Busy listening to the interview:

Fri, 18 Feb 2011 06:42:19 UTC | #592889

Alternative Carpark's Avatar Comment 14 by Alternative Carpark

Comment 12 by rjohn19 :

Yes, and then they lend it to you.

Fri, 18 Feb 2011 08:01:59 UTC | #592895

Daniel Williams's Avatar Comment 15 by Daniel Williams

Comment 7 by RepealingCreationismLaw :

It's not this generation I'm worried about.

Any way

Way to go Zack!!!!

Fri, 18 Feb 2011 09:24:52 UTC | #592902

thebaldgit's Avatar Comment 16 by thebaldgit

A ready reminder that unfortunately the battle against the forces of stupidity is never won. We must be on our guard at all times and in as many countries as possible in our fight against these moronic arseholes. People like Zack give me hope that all is not lost.

Fri, 18 Feb 2011 09:47:32 UTC | #592908

CarolineMary's Avatar Comment 17 by CarolineMary

Comment 15 by MrD_W :

It's not this generation I'm worried about. I'm worried about the next generation especially after seeing Jesus camp. The evangelical community in America are indoctrinating the next generation because I believe they also see that the current generation is a lost cause.

Any way Way to go Zack!!!!

But we will at least have this generation on our side.

Zack, you have my admiration as well.

Fri, 18 Feb 2011 09:52:11 UTC | #592911

HenkM's Avatar Comment 18 by HenkM

Comment 6 by SoHelpMeReason :

Sorry for you, but I dont think they will ever stop. They re too rich for their own good and they see sound reasoning taking more and more effect. Which, in turn, will lessen their grip on the masses.

Fri, 18 Feb 2011 10:32:48 UTC | #592918

Chrisss212's Avatar Comment 19 by Chrisss212

Comment 6 by SoHelpMeReason :

Oh but they have a reason not to care about other peoples suffering. It's all in God's plan. Relieving human suffering isn't particularly a Christian concern anyway (well sometimes it can be, but when Christian charities go to help in other countries, they do it with the intension of converting the locals). What really gets you into heaven is your belief and acceptance of Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit.

Fri, 18 Feb 2011 10:38:15 UTC | #592920

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 20 by Stafford Gordon

6: SoHelpMeReason.

It won't ever stop. I liken them to paedophiles, who although manifestly wrong in what they do are incapable of knowing it, and are exceedingly cunning. Perhaps they should be tagged!?

Fri, 18 Feb 2011 10:40:17 UTC | #592922

SheilaC's Avatar Comment 21 by SheilaC

It's a lot like fighting the hydra, isn't it?

Fri, 18 Feb 2011 11:17:00 UTC | #592932

locka's Avatar Comment 22 by locka

I think schools could counter this kind of drivel, at least in the next couple of generations by teaching critical thinking as a core curriculum subject and to reinforce the meaning of scientific terminology such as evidence, theory, hypothesis etc. I'm not thinking just of the US, but in other countries too.

Give kids the tools to separate pseudoscience from actual science and I expect the rest will follow on from that. While it would be tempting to include ID as an example of pseudoscience, it might be more prudent to stick to hypothetical examples and let kids join the dots.

Science is being marginalised and trivialised by shoddy newspaper reporting, religion, and ignorance everywhere. It's time science pushed back. The best way to lean on governments to do this is to highlight the benefits of promoting a curriculum that results in an skilled & educated workforce - jobs, trade, industry, secularism etc.

Fri, 18 Feb 2011 11:34:18 UTC | #592938

Sample's Avatar Comment 23 by Sample

I'm stepping out of my comfort zone but why not form a grassroots movement (surely they already exist) to get all school boards accredited by the National School Board Association?

This seems to me to be the way to go. With accredited school boards and seating standards, you at least have the potential to eliminate the influence of political ideologues/ID creationists right at the start.

I'm sure I'm being naive, but can anyone shed light on why there isn't a science-understanding litmus test to sit on a board in the education field?

Mike

(do I hear faint shouting calling me unAmerican?)

P.S. I just realized, I know exactly who to ask to get this answer. Will report back if I am told anything interesting.

Fri, 18 Feb 2011 12:12:08 UTC | #592946

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 24 by Ignorant Amos

Kudos to you Sir.

Fri, 18 Feb 2011 12:37:22 UTC | #592949

mjwemdee's Avatar Comment 25 by mjwemdee

Don't let any of us in the UK feel complacent about this pernicious rubbish. It is infecting the body politic here too.

Fri, 18 Feb 2011 13:08:16 UTC | #592950

Sample's Avatar Comment 26 by Sample

Thank you Zack for waking me up on this. I've wanted to look at our school board management in Alaska for sometime (and get involved). As it happens, one of the officers of Alaska's State School Boards Association (which cooperates with the National Association of School Boards) is known to me. It's the wrong time of day to call her... Anyway, I mention this because if anyone else in the US is interested in pre-empting Louisiana like legislation from happening in their state, they would do well to get involved now.

I sent a letter to my State's School Board Association (AASB) worded along these lines:

Does the AASB have a strategy to eliminate or limit a politically ideologic atmosphere from forming in Alaska that would be sympathetic to the legislation in Louisiana perniciously named, "The Science Education Act"?

Fri, 18 Feb 2011 13:09:58 UTC | #592951

Sample's Avatar Comment 27 by Sample

Thank you Zack Kopplin for waking me up on this. I've wanted to look at our school board management in Alaska for sometime (and get involved). As it happens, one of the officers of Alaska's State School Boards Association (which cooperates with the National Association of School Boards) is known to me. It's the wrong time of day to call her... Anyway, I mention this because if anyone else in the U.S. were interested in pre-empting that Act's influence from spreading to their state, they would do well to get involved now.

I sent a letter to my state's school board association (AASB) worded along these lines:

Does the (your state's association) have a strategy to eliminate or limit a politically ideologic atmosphere from forming in (your state) that would be sympathetic to the legislation in Louisiana perniciously named, "The Science Education Act"?

Mike

Fri, 18 Feb 2011 13:16:53 UTC | #592952

CarlaTrumper's Avatar Comment 28 by CarlaTrumper

Way to go Zack!

Comment 27 by Sample - On it in SC, tossed it over to friends with children in MI, OH & GA as well. We can put the "fear of litigation" in them:)

Fri, 18 Feb 2011 13:51:48 UTC | #592957

Reveille's Avatar Comment 29 by Reveille

I think a lot of the issue here in America comes into play because most "education" decisions are considered to be part of State sphere of influence rather than federal. Therefore you are more likely to get crazy religious influence in education in the South where religion is the most extreme.

Fri, 18 Feb 2011 13:52:46 UTC | #592958