← Going to church makes you fat!

Going to church makes you fat! - Comments

Sample's Avatar Comment 1 by Sample

Praise the Lard?

Mike

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 15:26:53 UTC | #606975

BigNoboDaddy's Avatar Comment 2 by BigNoboDaddy

Believers think that doG gives and takes life therefore this no need to be concerned about health.

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 15:27:12 UTC | #606976

Graxan's Avatar Comment 3 by Graxan

Has the wine and wafer been replaced by the milkshake and burger now? I might start going to church if there's tasty food there.

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 15:40:13 UTC | #606979

danconquer's Avatar Comment 4 by danconquer

That is a stupid article. A blatant case of taking two non-directly related facts and then assuming the existence of a causal link between them.

The explanation is probably to be found in the socio-economic backgrounds of most church-going types, as that is something which influences both susceptibility to religious delusion and obesity.

What next, 'Going To Church Gives You Cancer'?! Actually, this is the Mail so...

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 15:42:09 UTC | #606980

Tryphon Tournesol's Avatar Comment 5 by Tryphon Tournesol

mmm I seem to remember some faith head(s) stating the same about PZ Myers or atheists in general. Don't remember the thing exactly, but it was on his blog (and made fun of, of course)..

Not everything can be correlated..and if it can, so what? I bet the relationship between unhealthy food and obesitas is a lot stronger than the relation with (a)(th/d)eism

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 15:43:09 UTC | #606981

PurplePanda's Avatar Comment 6 by PurplePanda

Gluttony is a deadly sin as well. Guess hell is going to smell a lot like burning fat.

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 15:47:56 UTC | #606987

vaister's Avatar Comment 7 by vaister

The christians must believe that if they go to heaven, they'll be fit and young again. Then, they'll have the opportunity to sing hossanass and aleluyas all eternity in front of the monster...

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 15:59:15 UTC | #606993

prettygoodformonkeys's Avatar Comment 8 by prettygoodformonkeys

Well, I'm going to be spelling it 'churtch' from now on, that's for sure.....

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 16:14:46 UTC | #606998

xmaseveeve's Avatar Comment 9 by xmaseveeve

Obesity and religion both have the same source - emotional problems. Unhealthy mind, unhealthy body. Also, sex is wrong, so don't be attractive. Fat obscures the body, faith obscures thinking. Comfort food and comfort thought perpetuate the need for themselves.

If they could exercise their brains, they would forget about food. This website is a great diet. Lose the faith, lose the weight.

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 16:16:09 UTC | #606999

Tryphon Tournesol's Avatar Comment 10 by Tryphon Tournesol

Comment 7 by vaister :

And here they blurb out their praise, only to make god do twice the lifting afterwards?

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 16:17:08 UTC | #607000

Hammert1me's Avatar Comment 11 by Hammert1me

Not suprising. Strong religious belief is correllated to low socio-ecanomic status, low IQ and poverty of ambition. Which is correllated with a host of other stuff like drinking and gorging and not exercising.

The suggestion that church makes you fat is incorrect however.

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 16:30:06 UTC | #607005

Bernard Hurley's Avatar Comment 12 by Bernard Hurley

They are not quite sure why, though some say that because eating during church services has traditionally been allowed, worshippers were inclined to munch their way through the sermon.

Obviously I was brought up in the wrong denomination.

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 16:32:49 UTC | #607006

Alan Dente's Avatar Comment 13 by Alan Dente

Having grown up in a church environment, and often wondered upon the hypocrisy of people saying you shouldn't smoke because 'your body is a temple of the Holy Ghost' (whilst munching their 8th helping of cake) I can happily say that I think Christians are more given to being fat, simply because there are fewer avenues of indulgence available to them.

Obviously, it depends on the sect, but if you can't drink, can't smoke, can't really get laid (or enjoy it when you do!) then it's pretty much certain that your cake habit is going through the roof!!

Jesus said, 'I am the cake, the spoon and the knife, no one gets Betty Crocker, but by me'.

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 16:35:39 UTC | #607008

JuJu's Avatar Comment 14 by JuJu

Serving size = 1 cracker

Servings per container = 20

Calories per serving = 170,000

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 16:37:56 UTC | #607011

ajs261's Avatar Comment 15 by ajs261

A spurious correlation, as others have pointed out, but still, in true Daily Mail fashion, quite entertaining to read.

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 16:43:53 UTC | #607015

jez999's Avatar Comment 16 by jez999

If they're all eating the body of Christ, I guess they're all cannibals.

How fattening is human flesh?

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 16:44:18 UTC | #607017

Carbonated Margarine's Avatar Comment 17 by Carbonated Margarine

At first glance, I thought the headline said "Going to church makes you fart." That would've helped explain the lighting of all those votive candles.

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 16:48:14 UTC | #607019

neil pharr's Avatar Comment 18 by neil pharr

I grew up in a church, until Darwin kicked me out. My grandfather would not go to church, he said it is a social club. It's true. Eating is a big part of it. Especially, since food takes the place of a lack of satisfaction with dogmatic life. If you can't find peace you can at least have a full tummy.

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 16:48:40 UTC | #607020

Hellboy2's Avatar Comment 19 by Hellboy2

Is this where the term 'cracker ass' comes from??!

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 16:49:19 UTC | #607021

Pilotkono's Avatar Comment 20 by Pilotkono

I would rather be fat than deluded, and these poor 'souls' are both.

Sad.

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 16:49:34 UTC | #607022

alaskansee's Avatar Comment 21 by alaskansee

@ jez999

Depends where you take your pound of flesh from, arse anyone?

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 16:50:59 UTC | #607025

Metamag's Avatar Comment 22 by Metamag

Going to church may be good for a person's soul

This kind of nonsense is not even funny. But it will persist.

Anyone who has payed any attention to neuroscience in the last 3 decades knows that souls don't and can't exist, we will further know in much greater detail how impossible it is for souls to exist, but it will persist.

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 17:15:57 UTC | #607033

kmbieker's Avatar Comment 23 by kmbieker

This information isn't really new... A study like this is referenced in Fat Land (by Greg Crister) and that study even broke it down by religion (Catholics and Baptists were the heaviest, Jewish people and atheists weighed least, on average). I don't have the book near me to say exactly what study he referenced in the book, but it's definitely in there.

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 17:18:24 UTC | #607034

Dave H's Avatar Comment 24 by Dave H

How do they know they've got the the right way round? Maybe the chemical additives in burgers kick the god gene into life, so being fat makes you want to go to church.

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 18:02:45 UTC | #607058

mlgatheist's Avatar Comment 25 by mlgatheist

According to the Gallup Organization, "Very religious Americans are more likely to practice healthy behaviors than those who are moderately religious or nonreligious."

Madalyn Murray O'Hair was the founder of the American Atheists organization and she was overweight. As of December 28, 2010, the pictures of the members of the American Atheists organization's board of directors showed a significant portion of its members having excess body weight.

Members of the American Atheists board of directors who are overweight as of December 28, 2010 include: Richard Andrews, Monty Gaither, Blair Scott and Ann Zindler.

They list 4 of the board members and yet they fail to mention that the board consists of 17 members.

They also claim that christianity is growing all over the world. In actuality they are not. Non-theism is growing as is islam.

In the 1960's when I was growing up I was a Southern Baptist and even though they taught the children that gluttony is a sin and would bully those of us that were overweight, At least 1/2 of those over 40 were obese.

They are trying to say that I and my fellow boardmembers are obese because we are Atheists, however I was fat even when I was a Southern Baptist.

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 18:17:54 UTC | #607061

Michael Fisher's Avatar Comment 26 by Michael Fisher

I enjoyed the other related story on the same Daily Mail page & particularly Tiffany Booth's comment (in bold) at the end:

OH, LORD, WHAT'S THIS... Fortunately, however, help is at hand for churchgoers worrying about piling on the pounds. Women in Spring, near Houston, Texas, have started pole dancing to Christian music - with their instructor ensuring they make a connection with God while also toning their legs and stomach. The 'Pole Fitness for Jesus' fitness regime is the idea of former dancer Crystal Deans who told MyFox in Houston she quit pole dancing as she did not feel it was rewarding. Instead she decided to use her talents to to help people get fit and become good Christians. Ms Deans has defended her fitness regime which is not normally associated with devout Christianity. She told news channel Kxan: 'I decided I didn't want to do any more, so I decided to take the part that I liked about that and bring it here. 'We do the upbeat contemporary Christian music because people have to bring their church program to get into the class, so we basically are just continuing the whole worship thing here.' 'People who want to sit there and judge it, you know, like, 'Well, that is sacrilegious,' or you know, that doesn't make you a good Christian when you judge other people.' Class regular Tiffany Booth said: 'I think it's a fabulous thing. I was raised around religion. My parents were very religious, and it's a great way you get the stigma off.'

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 18:19:27 UTC | #607062

TIKI AL's Avatar Comment 27 by TIKI AL

Most Cristians wash their car before church which offsets the Christ cracker calories.

"Going to church makes you stupid" would be a much more enlightening article.

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 18:26:25 UTC | #607065

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 28 by Agrajag

Heh... I'm in Chicago at another health sciences center a couple miles from NU/Feinberg, and the first I hear about this is in the Mail Online. WTF?
Steve

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 18:37:16 UTC | #607070

Stevehill's Avatar Comment 29 by Stevehill

Whaaaaat?!

No self-denial? No suggestion that may be for an hour of your life while you're praying or whatever you might care to lay off the burgers and think about the job in hand?

What next - a wine list for your preferred communion beverage?

WTF is religion coming to?

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 18:48:22 UTC | #607074

Didaktylos's Avatar Comment 30 by Didaktylos

Comment 14 by JuJu :

Finding the fallacies in this study is like shooting fish in a barrel. So I won't go there. But I couldn't help thinking of the logical link between transubstantiation and weight gain. If you eat a little cracker and it turns into the body of Christ, I suppose that might add few pounds here and there.

I would love to read the nutrition labels on the packaging those crackers come in: Serving size = 1 cracker

Servings per container = 20 Calories per serving = 170,000

Well, there are several saints who supposedly survived for years on nothing but a weekly communion cracker.

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 18:51:12 UTC | #607075