← Message to American Atheists

Message to American Atheists - Comments

Don Quijote's Avatar Comment 1 by Don Quijote

Beautilully written as usual. I have tears in my eyes. You must outlive The Rat Mr Hitchens, I can't wait to read what you write for his obituary.

Fri, 22 Apr 2011 21:20:26 UTC | #618236

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 2 by Neodarwinian

He gets better and better at turning a phrase against religious nonsense. I will not keep the faith, Mr. Hitchens.

Fri, 22 Apr 2011 21:45:23 UTC | #618241

lazarus's Avatar Comment 3 by lazarus

Mr Hitchens Sir , your words are a pleasure and inspiration to read. Please keep strong, I know there is a lot for you in this world still to come.

Fri, 22 Apr 2011 21:49:49 UTC | #618244

Jad Bulbul's Avatar Comment 4 by Jad Bulbul

Well said Mr Hitchens, well said. Your voice has guided me through the years, and im sure you have much to give. Stay strong.

Fri, 22 Apr 2011 22:01:15 UTC | #618248

Steven Mading's Avatar Comment 5 by Steven Mading

This looks suspiciously like he was writing his own eulogy - which has me concerned. Just how far advanced is his cancer, and did he write this in this style becuase he knew this might have been his last chance to give a talk?

Fri, 22 Apr 2011 22:03:43 UTC | #618249

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 6 by mordacious1

WOW! You just have to love the man.

Fri, 22 Apr 2011 22:05:33 UTC | #618250

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 7 by Steve Zara

I agree with you about the tone.

I read this piece with a deep sadness. To think that such a bright light, a light that burns so fiercely and that illuminates so much, will dim and could be extinguished so soon is painful.

Fri, 22 Apr 2011 22:19:21 UTC | #618252

Erik Andreas's Avatar Comment 8 by Erik Andreas

I think this is a "things are really not going well at the moment, and in case I should die in the near future, know this"-message.

Yes, it is very sad to read and one does get a sense of the emotions that many of us will be feeling when we first get the news of his passing.

It will be a thourougly discouraging day for atheists when Hitchens passes away.

Fri, 22 Apr 2011 22:37:14 UTC | #618255

PepeisBest's Avatar Comment 9 by PepeisBest

Comment 8 by Erik Andreas :

I agree. This has made me cry - which I guess is testament to Mr Hitchens's power to inspire people. I sincerely hope he gets better, and that the above concerns are unfounded.

I will not keep the faith.

-K.

Fri, 22 Apr 2011 23:06:22 UTC | #618259

Save me jebuz!'s Avatar Comment 10 by Save me jebuz!

Powerful, eloquent and ultimately, life-affirming. Not only the article, but the human himself. I am delighted to be contemporaneous with Christopher Hitchens, my sorrow only lies in the fact that he (nor probably I) will be around to witness the ultimate triumph of man over voodoo. Such a man deserves to experience that victory. Most of the rest of us are mere viewers or sometime debaters, he and his like are the architects.

But we may still celebrate his existence and his oratory and ensure the battle he and others have fought continues, and hopefully we will build on what's already achieved and with any luck the old bastard might add more chapters to the indispensable catalogue of hitch slaps available on the web. Required viewing for all the next generations. I should be proud not only to have kids but to be able to tell them that I was around to hear Hitch talk while this whole thing got started.

Best of luck dude.

Fri, 22 Apr 2011 23:21:05 UTC | #618260

MAJORPAIN's Avatar Comment 11 by MAJORPAIN

The only faith I keep is a shared one in medical science combined with an indomitable spirit to keep on living. Keep fighting the good fight Mr. Hitchens. We love you, your writing and your rapier wit. I, for one, am looking forward to many more smackdowns...er, I mean debates between you and the religious drones. Take care.

Fri, 22 Apr 2011 23:22:14 UTC | #618261

nigel finch's Avatar Comment 12 by nigel finch

I agree. It reads like a valediction, and that last paragraph seems to written in anticipation of an audience more used to his absence. It's a pre-emptive rallying cry from the grave that must have been bitterly rueful to type. He's a brave, wonderful individual.

Comment 7 by Steve Zara :

I agree with you about the tone.

Fri, 22 Apr 2011 23:43:51 UTC | #618266

xmaseveeve's Avatar Comment 13 by xmaseveeve

I love you Hitchens. We are all with you.

Fri, 22 Apr 2011 23:51:37 UTC | #618267

Correct me if I'm wrong's Avatar Comment 14 by Correct me if I'm wrong

I don't think death can stop a giant like Christopher Hitchens. We will have him long after he is gone, and be grateful.

Fri, 22 Apr 2011 23:53:33 UTC | #618268

Buchi's Avatar Comment 15 by Buchi

His ruminations on death speak more on how one should live life bravely with love and courage facing the wind. Rage, rage Mr. Hitchens.

Sat, 23 Apr 2011 00:20:25 UTC | #618272

Matt B's Avatar Comment 16 by Matt B

The cheap name for this lethal delusion is religion, and we must learn new ways of combating it in the public sphere, just as we have learned to free ourselves of it in private.

Because of people like Christopher Hitchens, Professor Dawkins, etc, more and more minds are starting to awaken from the slumber of religious belief. These intelligent, decent speakers on our behalf are probably the best weapon we can muster in the fight for reason and secularism.

Mr. Hitchens, your words continue to inspire. We need you for this, but if we lose you too early, at least you were able to influence so many of us on your way out.

Thank you, sir.

Sat, 23 Apr 2011 00:26:07 UTC | #618274

Chrisss212's Avatar Comment 17 by Chrisss212

So Sad.

Sat, 23 Apr 2011 00:56:15 UTC | #618281

vaister's Avatar Comment 18 by vaister

You are brave sir

Get well, defeat cancer. You are a powerful mind.

Love from Colombia.

Sat, 23 Apr 2011 00:56:19 UTC | #618282

erindorothy's Avatar Comment 19 by erindorothy

Wonderful, beautiful. Please get well Christopher. The world is a much better place with you here with us.

Sat, 23 Apr 2011 02:12:53 UTC | #618290

dgr812's Avatar Comment 20 by dgr812

<3 Christopher Hitchens

Sat, 23 Apr 2011 03:01:24 UTC | #618295

Daniela 's Avatar Comment 21 by Daniela

I'm humbled by your profound words. Let me be one of the many people to tell you that you are way more then a small part in this odyssey.The world has truely become a brighter place thanks to you. Please keep your spirits up.

Sat, 23 Apr 2011 03:09:16 UTC | #618296

Michael Fisher's Avatar Comment 22 by Michael Fisher

Thank you Christopher ~ keep on kicking Death squarely in the balls

To some posters here... You talk as if The Man has already left the room. Get a grip !

Sat, 23 Apr 2011 03:39:27 UTC | #618298

stanleygarden's Avatar Comment 23 by stanleygarden

After reading this piece and then watching this amazingly engrossing clip I simply couldn't hold back my tears. Hitchens gives an improved meaning to the word 'erudite'. He's the sage of our time. I've never felt this strongly about a stranger before. I've never met the man, but it already grieves me his possible departure from this world.

Sat, 23 Apr 2011 04:41:38 UTC | #618302

Ranting Socrates's Avatar Comment 24 by Ranting Socrates

Sad. Wow. I never even knew who he was a few years ago, and now the prospect of his death – coming sooner than everyone thought – occupies my mind, depresses me, and makes it difficult to read his works.

I suppose it is only through his works that he lives forever; his words guide us through his thoughts as navigates us above a sea of ideas and beliefs. I hope his can produce more works before his passing.

On a medical note, I spoke to a doctor I know. Though he isn’t a specialist in the cancer Christopher Hitchens has, he said, given the prospects of it being in stage 4, already metastasized, he cannot have long to live. It is brutally blunt, but as Bertrand Russell once wrote ''ignorance is always regrettable.''

Sat, 23 Apr 2011 05:04:28 UTC | #618304

mmurray's Avatar Comment 25 by mmurray

Comment 24 by Ranting Socrates :

A Hitchen's himself put it in an interview: "There is no stage 5."

Michael

Sat, 23 Apr 2011 05:50:58 UTC | #618307

Cents's Avatar Comment 26 by Cents

I just wanted to add my voice to others singing the praises of Christopher Hitchens. A man of insight, wisdom and of penetrating and incisive wit. A man who will always be associated with us gnus. He will always be remembered as one of the great leaders of our fight for a rational and god free secular future.

Thank you Christopher Hitchens!

Sat, 23 Apr 2011 06:12:29 UTC | #618308

skiles1's Avatar Comment 27 by skiles1

Touching. Thanks, Christopher,

Sat, 23 Apr 2011 06:27:13 UTC | #618312

keithapm's Avatar Comment 28 by keithapm

Many people have noted, and I reluctantly agree, that it seems Hitchens has, with this letter, effectively written his own eulogy. My reluctance is spurred not (wholly) for rational reasons - the truth is that I hate the thought that the man will die. I hope he is as yet a long way from death (keeping the argument going as it were) but agree that yes, barring a scientific breakthrough, he's far closer than he would otherwise have been before being assailed by the spectre of cancer. Reality can be a bitter pill to swallow sometimes but if Hitchens, in his plight, is prepared to do it then so am I. If this IS to be your eulogy Hitch, then it is aptly stirring and beautiful.

Keith

Sat, 23 Apr 2011 07:52:49 UTC | #618325

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 29 by Stafford Gordon

'Nough said sir! There writes a writer indeed.

Sat, 23 Apr 2011 08:13:21 UTC | #618328

jon_the_d's Avatar Comment 30 by jon_the_d

It will be a thoroughly discouraging day for atheists when Hitchens passes away.

It will be very sad, and I hope he remains as well as can be for as long as can be.

But don't forget, his death is ultimately going to be a great triumph for atheism. Even his death will be a great kick in the teeth to religion - So many of his defeated foes are expecting or praying for a death bed conversion from him, to nullify all his great arguments and let religion claim ultimate victory. But as you can see from this letter, it's not gonna happen, and is getting more unlikely by the day.

Indeed, the strength and clarity with which Hitch has approached his own death is awe-inspiring, and his stance remains as bold as ever.

His death will be one last great victory.

Sat, 23 Apr 2011 08:30:48 UTC | #618332