← Atheist Billboard in Fresno Vandalized After Only Three Days

Atheist Billboard in Fresno Vandalized After Only Three Days - Comments

SheilaC's Avatar Comment 1 by SheilaC

"Shut up," he explained.

Fri, 06 May 2011 19:16:10 UTC | #623909

AshFromHousewares's Avatar Comment 2 by AshFromHousewares

The strain of lying to ones self all the time must be huge. Suppressing all those thoughts is hard enough. Point out the obvious to one of these intellectually dishonest people and most pop under the strain.

Fri, 06 May 2011 19:23:13 UTC | #623911

Corylus's Avatar Comment 3 by Corylus

That sign looks very high up.

Hmm, I wonder if theistic belief helps prevent vertigo? I am generally fine with heights, but you still wouldn't get me up there.

Fri, 06 May 2011 19:29:57 UTC | #623912

Alan Dente's Avatar Comment 4 by Alan Dente

Any billboard with contentious content which has drawn global attention will be a target for attention-seekers. The fact that it has been tagged is a funny kind of compliment. The argument for rational thinking continues. I trust the law enforcement will investigate this vandalism with the same intensity with which anti-christian graffiti would be (joke)

Fri, 06 May 2011 19:57:51 UTC | #623920

HardNosedSkeptic's Avatar Comment 5 by HardNosedSkeptic

I wouldn’t worry about this too much. It just means they’ve got them rattled.

Fri, 06 May 2011 19:59:29 UTC | #623922

edmundjessie's Avatar Comment 6 by edmundjessie

They haven't done a particularly good job. I still read it as originally intended (unless all this time on RD.net has given me the power to see straight through their lies).

I quite like the idea of graffiti artist Christians, especially since most of the attempts by the religious to try and tap into youth culture and claim new converts seem to end in toe-curling embarrassment (see this particularly disturbing video i watched a couple of days ago, featuring a child MC rapping about Jesus and his 'Nu Thang.')

Fri, 06 May 2011 19:59:31 UTC | #623923

Paul the Pretentious's Avatar Comment 7 by Paul the Pretentious

"In local news, a midtown youth was found dead this morning with a broken neck and a can of spray-paint in his hand. He had apparently been vandalizing a billboard with an atheistic message and fell to his death. His family takes comfort in that he is marginally likelier to go to heaven now."

Fri, 06 May 2011 20:05:30 UTC | #623925

Alexandreina's Avatar Comment 8 by Alexandreina

Having had the severe misfortune to live in Fresno for a few years in the 90's this surprises me not at all. Fresno is undoubtedly the armpit of California and only possess about one and a half blocks of redeeming quality known as the Tower District. I've never lived anywhere else with such a confluence of criminal scum and small town small mindedness. That town is seriously scary.

Fri, 06 May 2011 20:12:23 UTC | #623929

prettygoodformonkeys's Avatar Comment 9 by prettygoodformonkeys

There is no way MADC had anything to do with this; they're liars as well as vandals. More lying for Jesus....?

Fri, 06 May 2011 20:15:57 UTC | #623930

war critic's Avatar Comment 10 by war critic

Fri, 06 May 2011 20:17:06 UTC | #623932

mirandaceleste's Avatar Comment 11 by mirandaceleste

Comment 10 by war critic :

Please tell me you're a Poe

Fri, 06 May 2011 20:19:23 UTC | #623936

war critic's Avatar Comment 12 by war critic

Comment 11 by mirandaceleste :

Please tell me you're a Poe

Because if I'm part of this ominous and evil "they" everyone above is speaking of I can be safely ignored?

Fri, 06 May 2011 20:28:45 UTC | #623940

mirandaceleste's Avatar Comment 13 by mirandaceleste

Comment 12 by war critic :

No. Because of your ridiculous and nasty rhetoric, i.e.:

Fri, 06 May 2011 20:33:44 UTC | #623943

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 14 by Ignorant Amos

Comment 12 by war critic

With nothing of interest to say, ya can be ignored anyway.

Fri, 06 May 2011 20:35:13 UTC | #623945

MarcCountry's Avatar Comment 15 by MarcCountry

I haven't been to any KKK meetings lately, but from what I recall, the "level of discourse" there was usually a touch more heated than the posters here can muster.

Perhaps 'war critic' meant the BBB, but got his consonants mixed up.

Fri, 06 May 2011 20:37:16 UTC | #623946

Foolishfool's Avatar Comment 16 by Foolishfool

You know, that vandalism is probably a good thing. I mean, whoever did it left the website in tact, so there will probably be a hell of a lot more traffic to the site by people who don't already agree with it.

Thanks vandal for unwittingly sending believers to a place where they might actually have their beliefs challenged.

Fri, 06 May 2011 20:44:25 UTC | #623951

Teknical's Avatar Comment 17 by Teknical

Phew, just got in after cross burning, did I miss anything?

Fri, 06 May 2011 20:46:09 UTC | #623952

war critic's Avatar Comment 18 by war critic

Comment Removed by Author

Fri, 06 May 2011 20:48:28 UTC | #623954

some asshole's Avatar Comment 19 by some asshole

Well, "god" forbid atheists have a billboard without some magic-believing moron defiling it. It's amazing how incapable the Big Man is of sticking up for himself, isn't it? He seems to need some monkey with a can of paint to do his bidding. Or perhaps he was off somewhere giving some poor child cancer or causing a natural disaster or something.

Maybe one of these times we should arrange to have a "billboard bodyguard" or two on constant watch for this sort of thing.

Fri, 06 May 2011 20:51:13 UTC | #623955

Foolishfool's Avatar Comment 20 by Foolishfool

Comment 18 by war critic :

If you really believe that condemning and mocking billions of people is justified by an act of graffiti by some stupid kid in Fresno--and can maintain that belief when in the presence of someone who was forced into your midst by an act of vandalism by one of your own--then I can see why you would be offended at being called bigot. As you're likely fond of pointing out, however, your believing it don't make it so.

Fri, 06 May 2011 20:52:43 UTC | #623956

war critic's Avatar Comment 21 by war critic

Comment 13 by mirandaceleste : No. Because of your ridiculous and nasty rhetoric

Well, again, I'll avoid the tu quoque that's begged for. Not that my rhetoric was particularly nasty (far less so than that preceding it or since [excluding your own]). Nor was my comment ridiculous.

If you believe that condemnation and mockery of all theists (I assume that's the ominous "they") is a reasonable response to an act of graffiti by some stupid kid in Fresno--and can maintain that belief when in the presence of someone who was forced into your midst by an act of vandalism by one of your own who obviously isn't associating the act with all atheists and whose only beef is the hypocrisy and irrationality on display here--then I can see why you would be offended at your compatriots being called bigot. As you're likely fond of pointing out, however, your believing it don't make it so.

Fri, 06 May 2011 20:57:55 UTC | #623960

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 22 by Ignorant Amos

Comment 18 by war critic :

And you registered an account here why? Defo a troll methinks.

Fri, 06 May 2011 20:59:13 UTC | #623961

alaskansee's Avatar Comment 23 by alaskansee

You can't put up a sign that can be cleverly altered and expect it not to be cleverly altered. It's like evolution, no mater how much you want it to stay the same it just keeps changing.

It may have rattled someone but it may also be an irresistible temptation.

Fri, 06 May 2011 21:00:54 UTC | #623962

war critic's Avatar Comment 24 by war critic

Comment 20 by Foolishfool : You admitted yourself that you ASSUMED that the redirect was from an atheist, please provide evidence for your ASSUMED belief. If you cannot, then you are nothing but a troll and you can be ignored safely because you are obviously trying (and to some small extent succeeding) to grief the atheists. If that is so, I pity your smallness. Good day.

I take it you have evidence that this billboard was vandalized by a theist? Maybe it was done by a Poe. :)

Fri, 06 May 2011 21:02:30 UTC | #623963

Sean_W's Avatar Comment 25 by Sean_W

No Teknical, you haven't missed a thing.

Fri, 06 May 2011 21:03:21 UTC | #623964

SmartLX's Avatar Comment 26 by SmartLX

War Critic, what was the website and where is the "vandalized" link?

Fri, 06 May 2011 21:09:23 UTC | #623968

wald0h's Avatar Comment 27 by wald0h

I live in Fresno and it's not as bad as Alexandreina makes it sound as long as you don't live near or are involved with any gangs/drugs.

It's easy to see the population as meth users, gang-bangers, pregnant teens and rednecks, but we've got a really nice skeptic/humanist community over here. I've lived a few places and while Fresno is no Seattle or San Diego, it always seems like unless you lived in Somalia or Iraq, the people complaining about the places they used to live are the people you don't really want to hang out with anyways.

On-topic: They really did put the billboard in the dumbest of areas. If you're trying to get closet atheists and skeptics to joing your 'club' you shouldn't put it where there is that much graffiti, church-goes and gang members. I am pretty sure the atheist population on that part of town is effectively zero. They really should have considered placement before forking over that kind of money, unless it was a publicity stunt?

Fri, 06 May 2011 21:10:18 UTC | #623970

Foolishfool's Avatar Comment 28 by Foolishfool

Comment 24 by war critic :

Nowhere did I state or even imply that I thought that a theist was the vandal. Your attempt at a witty retort fails the second you have to put words into my mouth to make it. Thank you for failing.

Fri, 06 May 2011 21:10:48 UTC | #623971

Drizzt Do'Urden's Avatar Comment 29 by Drizzt Do'Urden

@ war critic

News of atheist billboards normally comes up here.

Now, do theists deserve condemnation and mockery because of an act of graffiti? I do not see why they deserve it because of one kids act of vandalism. They certainly deserve it for believing in fairy tales though. So, condemnation and mockery is reasonable on almost all occasions.

Fri, 06 May 2011 21:13:50 UTC | #623976

edmundjessie's Avatar Comment 30 by edmundjessie

Comment 10 by war critic What a coincidence. After being redirected from a religious website I regularly visit to richarddawkins.net by an atheist (I assume) vandal's malicious hacking what is the first article on offer? One bemoaning the stupid vandalism of an atheist billboard and a gaggle of geese honking out quite unreasonable condemnation and mockery. Rather than engage in the tu quoque that is actually fitting in this case, let me just invite you to actually apply the principles you say you believe in. This level of discourse is more fitting to a KKK meeting than to a forum supposedly dedicated to science and reason.

Yes what a coincidence. Rather than simply closing the web page you apparently had no interest in viewing you decided instead to take the time and effort to join up to this prominent ATHEIST site, make inflammatory remarks comparing us to the KKK (which i think should constitute a form of Godwins law) without any basis in the reality of what has been posted, then accuse of hypocrisy people who had nothing to do with a supposed (but highly convenient for your purposes) computer attack that brought you to (shock horror) RD.net.

Now if i was an atheistic computer hacker going to the great effort of re-directing a religious person to a site they didn't wish to visit i think i'd at least send them to somewhere they might find themselves shocked, like a site listing the personal testaments of children abused by the church, or quantifying the amount that catholic dogma has contributed to the proliferation of AIDS in Africa, or providing examples of extremely poor people being tricked out of their money by affluent charlatans and fraudsters acting in the name of an imagined divinity, or any other countless number of genuinely shocking examples of the continued damaging effects of religion on a species who should long have outgrown it.

Now there are some real examples of hypocrisy for you. Go look for them now. Then come back here if you can bear to show your face again and we'll talk about science and reason.

Fri, 06 May 2011 21:15:17 UTC | #623979